Peaches are finally doing exactly what I’ve wanted them to do.

They are ripe, juicy, fragrant and perfect for chomping down on when the heat is suffocating and sweaty. A giant peach is refreshing and almost as perfect as a gooey triple chocolate fudge brownie. In a different way of course.

I can only imagine that this peach success is how one must feel when their child finally uses a potty. Or rides a bike without training wheels. Or makes their bed without being screamed at and consequently grounded from going to the homecoming dance. I feel so matronly. And feel equally as worse for my parents since I never, ever learned to make my bed. I mean… seriously, you just are going to get right back in it in a matter of hours, right? Why all the fuss?

I had been smelling these peaches on my countertop for days when it hit me that I needed to use them or lose them. It was into a baked good or into my mouth, and someone went a little buck wild in the produce section last week. Hey – I can only eat and drink sooo many berries. At least I didn’t thoughtlessly throw the peaches into my fridge as I do with so many other fresh items I buy only to remember then nine days later. My crisper drawer: where veggies go to die.

Look at these babies. Two words: Juuuuu. Seeee.

Enter blueberry crumble bars.

I made the gooey bars back in March – binded with butter and brown sugar and oats, bursting with popped blueberries – and almost ate a chunk of the actual pan because they were completely devourable. <— I do fun things like make up words.

The only difference here? Brown butter. Yes. Say it with me now. Broooown buttttter.

Brown butter is essentially butter (duh!) made even more delicious by browning (duh, again!) until it is deeply flavorful, nutty and bubbly enough to make you want to jump in the pan.

You can take away my all-purpose flour. You maaaaybe can even make me eat something sort of vegetable-like. But you can never, ever, ever take away my buttah.

[And can I say it’s healthy ’cause it’s brown? ‘Cause you know… that’s what I say. Too far? Too much… ?]

Ah… and here’s a peek at normalness. You know… things I do everyday. Things you might do. Pan straight from oven. Fork straight from drawer. Fork straight into pan. Steaming hot bars straight into mouth. Tastebuds immediately burnt off roof of mouth. You know… life.

Brown Butter Peach Crumble Bars

makes about 12 bars

1 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour [or all-purpose]

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup butter

4 ripe, medium peaches, chopped (about 2 cups peaches)

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt and mix until combined. Set aside

Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and stir continuously until it melts. It may bubble a little. As soon as you see small brown specks in the butter, remove it from the heat. This took me about 3 minutes. Add the butter, along with the vanilla, to the oat mixture. Stir until moistened. This may take a minute or two! Fold in the peaches.

Butter and flour an 8×8 baking pan. Press batter into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes (the juicer your peaches are the longer you have to bake), the let cool completely – this can take up to 45 minutes! Cut and serve. Can be kept in the fridge or at room temperature in a sealed container.

I’d like to offer you one for breakfast, but it seems that they’ve all disappeared. Which is sad considering I haven’t been able to taste a thing since these came out of the oven.

130 Responses to “Brown Butter Peach Crumble Bars.”

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 26, 2011 @ 7:05 am

I was just in Georgia a few weeks ago and the peaches I picked up are starting to go mush. This recipe is perfecto!

mariah — July 26, 2011 @ 7:08 am

oh dear lord anything with peachessssss give them to meeeee nowww!!

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — July 26, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Oats and fruit together – so healthy. They cancel out the sugar and butter. ;-)

Becki@beckiswholelife — July 26, 2011 @ 7:12 am

Those peaches look amazing by themselves! But adding browned butter and oatmeal – holy yum. I have burned my tongue on many dishes all for the sake of getting that first bite straight from the oven. We just can’t help ourselves, I think.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 26, 2011 @ 7:13 am

“Two words: Juuuuu. Seeee.”

LOVE IT! :)

Ok so I bought peaches the other day. I bought 5. They were rock hard. I thought they’d ripen in stages b/c some were harder than others. Wrong. Today I woke up to 5 super ripe peaches…out of no where!

I foresee a peach crumble in my future.

I love crisps, crumbles, cobblers..any way to use oats + butter + lots of brown sugar, I’m down!

Erica — July 26, 2011 @ 7:17 am

I saw your juicy peach picture on instagram yesterday and totally wanted to run out and pick up more peaches! Now I know I MUST do it. We’d definitely eat these right out of the pan. No need to cut them into bars :)

Jenn from Much to My Delight — July 26, 2011 @ 7:18 am

Ooh, baby. If lovin’ brown butter is wrong, I don’t wanna be right. These look scrumdidliumptious. Great post as usual Jessica!

Tara @ The Butter Dish — July 26, 2011 @ 7:18 am

Jess, you’re so on the same page with me this week girl! ☺

I bought a gaggle of peaches the other day and have been pondering what to do, what to do. There are several things running around in my head. These sounds yummy.

See what storms do, they make you come up with scrumpdilicious things like this. Verdict: Storms over Jessica’s house = good! ☺

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — July 26, 2011 @ 7:31 am

I just discovered brown butter recently. I could literally drink it with a straw. Not that I’ve done that.

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 7:45 am

Yeah… *who* does that?… weird people… (looks away)

Emily — July 26, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Brown butter is new to me! Yum.

Emily http://www.mywordsinterestslife.blogspot.com

Elysha — July 26, 2011 @ 7:41 am

That’s it, I’ve decided I’m making a How Sweet dinner tomorrow night for my friend: Brown Sugar Roasted Chicken, Grilled Corn with Bacon Butter, and these. She might gain five pounds in the course of one meal at my house, but it’ll all be worth it. There are no regrets when it comes to brown sugar, butter, and/or bacon.

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 7:44 am

I want to come for dinner!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 26, 2011 @ 7:41 am

Delicious — and you have to taste foods right out of the oven — even if that means you jump around the kitchen saying “hot hot hot” while chewing.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 26, 2011 @ 7:46 am

i’m picturing vanilla ice cream melting all over these…oh man. i’m going to die.

Julie H. — July 26, 2011 @ 7:46 am

Looking good! I’ll just close my eyes to the butter, they are pretty healthy if I close my eyes there. That seems like a solution!
    That being said, they look good enough with the butter to eat! Yum! Juuuuuu. Seeeee. :)

Blog is the New Black — July 26, 2011 @ 7:52 am

I heart peaches in baked goods! The addition of brown butter sounds like a winner!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 26, 2011 @ 8:01 am

I absolutely love the smell of ripe peaches! It makes my whole kitchen smell like summer:-) These look delicious, I’d eat them for breakfast and dessert!

Kim in MD — July 26, 2011 @ 8:02 am

The brown butter is brilliant, Jessica! These look to die for, and now I must go to my local farm stand and get some peaches! :-)

Oh- and I burned the roof of my mouth yesterday, too. Isn’t it the worst feeling? Especially when you brush your teeth? Uuggg…

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Ugh yes!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 26, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Ahh these look so good I can almost taste them! I totally know what you mean about peaches finally doing what you want them to. There’s nothing more disappointing than buying some that never actually ripen – the type that just stay ‘woody’ inside, despite the deceptive nice peachy smell on the outside. I want these bars right now! :)

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Unfortunately that’s how so many of the peaches I buy end up! I only get a few good ones a year.

Gina @ running to the kitchen — July 26, 2011 @ 8:07 am

Ripe peaches are summer at it’s best. I bet brown butter makes this amazing!

The Teenage Taste — July 26, 2011 @ 8:11 am

These are like the epitome of Summer! They look great!

sherri lynn @ life of a wife — July 26, 2011 @ 8:13 am

I love anything with brown butter! These sound amazing – I have to try them!

Bev Weidner — July 26, 2011 @ 8:16 am

Dad. Gum. Woman.

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories — July 26, 2011 @ 8:22 am

Oh my goodness! I have 4 ripe medium peaches! Straight off a tree in Georgia! How perfect is this?!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 26, 2011 @ 8:22 am

I LOVE your two words, “Juuuuu. Seeee”!!
    Jessica, you’re awesome and your recipes rock, girl! Keep it up!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — July 26, 2011 @ 8:32 am

These look absolutely perfect. See, I told you? You know what I’m craving. How do you do that?

Barefeet In The Kitchen — July 26, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Yum. Yum. Yum. I adore peaches. This is one of my favorite recipes. I’ve never browned the butter though. I must try that next time.

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Yes you must!!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — July 26, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Yum!!! The peaches look amazing!

Julie @ Shining From Within — July 26, 2011 @ 9:01 am

Totally making these. I want one nowwwwww.

Clare — July 26, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Totally healthy because of the fruit – and even more healthy because of the browned butter! Wow! Hello new favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack!

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:38 am

You have an awesome mind.

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — July 26, 2011 @ 9:21 am

Anything with brown butter= bring it on!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — July 26, 2011 @ 9:25 am

When I was like 9, my brother was eating a peach and it had a worm on it. I was scarred for life (obviously) and now can only eat peaches once they’ve been diced and cooked as to rid them of any form of life that may have burrowed inside.
    Which is good news for me and this recipe :)

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Okay that skeeves me out.

Fallon — July 26, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Yummy!!! I’m afraid the peaches I’ve had in Georgia have surprisingly been yucky. So NOW it is peach season? They started showing them up in April and after a few times trying them.. I gave up. I shall try again and possibly with these bars! Love fruity desserts like this.

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:38 am

I had the same experience! In prior years I have found that late July-August seems best for peaches around here. But it never fails that I still only get a handful of perfect ones.

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — July 26, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Brown butter makes the world a better place. As do peaches. These look divine!

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:37 am

This is true.

nancy k — July 26, 2011 @ 9:30 am

OH, Yum. I have four peaches in my frig just waiting to be transformed into something amazing and it looks like I have found that amazing…thanks for sharing!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — July 26, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Peaches are so incredibly delicious this year – I can’t get enough of them. I agree – Juuuu. Seee.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 26, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I’m loving all fruit this year… but peaches are definitely high on the list!! Yum! :)

DessertForTwo — July 26, 2011 @ 9:37 am

I’m pretty sure I NEED these today!

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:42 am

Trade you desserts? ;)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 26, 2011 @ 9:43 am

Ooooh yum! Seriously. I’m jealous of all of the peach recipes that keep popping up but I’m standing my ground and waiting for the local farm to have fresh peaches instead of getting ones that have been shipped in. Just a few more weeks. I think I can make it… I think I can I think I can!

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:57 am

You can do it! That is where I get mine and they are SO much better than those orange rocks from the grocery store.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — July 26, 2011 @ 9:43 am

You have this impeccable gift of making anything -whether chocolate or fruit- look delicious. I would totally house this for breakfast.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 26, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Peaches are insanely good right now! I went to a local farmer’s market the other day and the ripe peaches smelled like I imagine heaven to smell! It was amazing! These look delicious Jessica!

Carrie @ poet in the pantry — July 26, 2011 @ 10:06 am

Oh, YUM! Did you peel the peaches before you diced them? I rarely bake with peaches because I’m too lazy to peel them. ;) But I might have to do it just for these…

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — July 26, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Wow these look delish! I don’t have any peaches at the moment but I’m going to sub in some nectarines instead :)

Jen — July 26, 2011 @ 10:15 am

I love big, juicy peaches (I just wrote people instead of peaches!) in the summer time. My aunt makes a lot of fruit crumbles and cobblers, but my favorite is the one she makes with peaches. These remind me of her crumble in bar form! Deeelish! I want one with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Katrina — July 26, 2011 @ 10:26 am

These sound so freaking yummy. I also have a lot of peaches right now, and I can brown some butter any time. Mmmm…browned butter.

Chelsea — July 26, 2011 @ 10:41 am

Blueberry or Peach bars?? I’m torn!! What a lovely blog!

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

Thanks!

Shanna, Like Banana — July 26, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Mmmm, scoop me some vanilla ice cream on top and I’m in heaven…..mmmmm mmmm mmm

Ashley — July 26, 2011 @ 11:01 am

oh.my.gawd. This is one of those recipes I can seriously taste while thinking about! I’m waiting on the edge of my seat for Colorado peaches!! And I’m excited, because I know swapping whole wheat for oat flour will totally work. Brown butter…ohyes.

Nicole — July 26, 2011 @ 11:03 am

Wow…that’s all I have to say :) Those look incredible! I just had peaches in my oatmeal this morning and thought was good…that pales in comparison! Must add this recipe to my collection! Thanks!

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — July 26, 2011 @ 11:06 am

I love peaches! But peaches that are cooked and bubbly and sweet and gooey are even better. I’m pretty sure I could make these work as a breakfast food, dessert, snack and well let’s be honest if the whole pan is there it could turn into dinner.

Kelly — July 26, 2011 @ 11:14 am

These look absolutely delicious!! Printing this recipe now! :)

1 2 3