BLT Salmon Tacos.
Know what gets me excited?
Coming up with things for dinner. Such a simple, stupid thing.
And yes, just *things* in general. After cooking and recipe developing every single day, the last thing I want to think about is… dinner. I mean, why can’t we eat the brownies + granola + salt and vinegar potatoes + salsa that I made all day for dinner? And I mean all of it together. Say… brownies with a side of potatoes, granola and salsa. That’s not dinner worthy? We can’t call it a potluck or a hodge podge and pass it off as dinner? Like… every single day? Or at least Monday through Friday? Because we all know weekends are just about pizza or booze and stuff like that. And this is what my normal everyday life looks like: brownies, potatoes, salsa and granola.
So dinner stresses me out sometimes. Often, I feel like my mind is one big BLANK. It’s foggy and filled with nothing except curiosity of the evening’s Bachelorette episode. And when you live with someone who requires steak with a side of chicken or chicken with a side of steak, cereal does not a dinner make. My first step is to whine about it on facebook and twitter. I always do that because you guys have such great solutions.
Then I put on my thinking cap and do some math. Such as:
Salmon = Fish. Healthy!
Fish tacos = fabulousness. I want some.
Salmon tacos = weirdness. Will this work?
BLT salmon tacos = new dinner love. Bacon completes me.
It’s official. I’m going back to school to study actuarial science. Me and numbers and now likethis.
I say these salmon tacos are lovely.
Not lovely lovely, but a party in my mouth if you will.
I didn’t really think the salmon tacos would actually happen. I mean, Mexican food is my cuisine of choice and even though I ruin many delicious combinations by turning them quasi-Mexican, salmon was never topping that list. But desperation set in and I was craving something new. And I am reallllly weird… I don’t like to eat the same things. Ever. So high maintenance! Sometimes if I really love something, I eat it like five or six days in a row and then never want it again. I haven’t done that with these tacos yet, but we’re well on our way.
On an unrelated note, someone get me an ironing board. Then teach me how to iron. This wrinkly place mat is making my head hurt.
- 4-6 ( 4 inch) tortillas
- 2 (3-4 ounce) salmon filets
- 2 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 tomato, chopped (I used an heirloom tomato… love)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- shredded lettuce for garnish
- salt & pepper
- Heat the broiler on your oven and position the oven rack as need be. Sprinkle your salmon with salt and pepper liberally, then broil for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until pink and flaky. [This is my favorite way to make salmon, but you can easily bake it as well.]
- Once salmon is done, flake it with a fork. Set up an assembly line with tortillas, salmon, lettuce, tomato, bacon and dressings of your choice. I combined 1/4 cup of my favorite mustard (Bone Suckin’ mustard!) with 1 tablespoons of sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika. It was fabulous drizzled on top!
Don’t forget! Today is the day for The Great Fundraising Act auction that I told you about last week. The auction begins at 8AM EST and you can bid on hundreds on items for a great cause. I am donating a batch of better-than-crack-brownies, macaroon almond butter, some Trader Joe’s treats and a $25 Anthropologie gift card. For all items up for bid, click here!