Let me tell you something.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

When I was a freshman in college, I once ventured to Starbucks. This wasn’t a frequent happening because 1. I didn’t like coffee whatsoever except when loaded with tons of crap and heavy cream… sort of like now, and 2. there wasn’t a Starbucks on campus. Clearly I went to college in the stone age.

One night my friends and I somehow hitched a ride (not literally, but you know) to Starbucks and that’s when I saw it on the menu: mocha coconut frappuccino. [um, how is "frappuccino" not recognized by spell check? for serious? spell check needs a makeover... gotta get with the times.]

I.almost.died.

Two of my FAVORITE ingredients combined?! Who cares if I didn’t like coffee – at any rate I was ordering white chocolate mocha frapps once or twice a year, drinking half and trashing them. With mocha coconut I would FOR SURE finish it. Holy dreamboat.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

I ordered one.

I sipped.

I almost fainted.

I slurped it to the bottom.

I almost wet myself from excitement.

I literally almost wet myself from drinking 48 ounces of diuretics and sugar.

I became poor.

[I should also mention that this was the same year I bought a $98 sparkly black belt with my dad's credit card. Uhh... that turned out about as good as you are envisioning. Because, you know, it's not like HE WAS PAYING FOR MY EDUCATION OR ANYTHING. Not sure why I didn't think "belt" would show up on the Express monthly statement, but when it did... let's just say that I'm still suffering hearing loss from the shouts through my red Nokia phone.]

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

Starbucks became my new favorite place. But it wasn’t like I was there all the time. It wasn’t on campus + I didn’t have a car + I still didn’t love coffee + coffee made (and still makes) me have humongous anxiety/buzz/jitters issues. I feel like a freak on drugs.

Until one day I walked in and… it was off the menu.

What the what?! I couldn’t believe my own eyes because I figured it HAD to be a popular drink. Seriously, I was jacked. If I had any semblance of a backbone, I may have called and complained. Instead I just didn’t go to Starbucks for like six years and developed a nasty rice krispy treat addiction. Not even joking. These babies were the size of my head.

Imagine my delight when my cousin told me last week that she had a mocha coconut frappucinno! YES. My prayers had been answered. Now… I just needed to figure out how I could add $6.00 to my daily food budget and an extra 800 calories.

Or… just make my own.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

I’m sure the regular mocha coconuts have coconut syrup in them, so this isn’t quite as coconutty, but I can promise that is gets 98% close. The best part? COCONUT MILK WHIPPED CREAM. I knew that Ashley had made this before and when I texted her in a frenzy from the grocery store, she assured me it would work. And that it did.

We have a layer of chocolate fudge, a pour of caffeine, a healthy glug of coconut milk, a blob of coconut whipped cream, freshly toasted coconut and a chocolate fudge drizzle. Oh mylanta.

Just make sure you use a deliciously flavored coffee, such as fudge brownie or macaroon to heighten your experience. And don’t use something wacky like strawberry. Because then it will just taste… weird.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees

[copied from Starbucks using my iced mocha recipe + ashley's coconut whipped cream]

makes 1 serving

5 ounces brewed coffee, cold

1/2 cup coconut milk [your choice: lite, full-fat, or the refrigerated kind]

3 tablespoons chocolate syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons toasted coconut

1 can COLD full-fat coconut milk

2 tablespoons sugar

Brew coffee and let cool – this can work with leftover morning coffee, or I suggest making some at night and once it cools, putting it in the fridge overnight. However you want to do it, as long as you have cold coffee, you are set! I still have not tried cold brewed coffee but I know I need to.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or using a bowl and an electric hand mixer), add cold coconut milk and sugar. Beat until peaks form and you have the consistency of whipped cream – about 6 minutes. Mine did not get quite as thick as regular whipped cream and was still a bit runny – but I have no patience. It was still delicious.

Fill the bottom of your glass with 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup, then add ice cubes. Pour in coffee, then coconut milk, then vanilla, then sugar and mix well with a spoon. Add in some toasted coconut if you wish.

Add 1-2 tablespoons of whipped coconut cream on top and another tablespoon or 2 of chocolate syrup. Drink up!

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

Please try. I promise it is worthy of all the CAPS LOCK and exclamation points peppered throughout this post. [!!!]

220 Responses to “Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees.”

Tracy @ Commit To Fit — July 29, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Everything you make is heavenly. There, I said it.

Brynne — July 29, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

This is my favorite frap ever. I lived on it the last time it was out years ago. I just really love you.

sumshay — July 29, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

i so need to make this. i love these at starbucks, but sadly my budget does not. i also like the almond joy creamer that you can get at the grocery store. but this sounds even better!

Rooted in Atascocita — July 30, 2011 @ 2:00 am

You are hilarious and I couldn’t stop reading your blog. Love your sense of humor!

Joy — July 30, 2011 @ 5:16 am

Looks and sounds perfectly awesome. Just gotta try!

Carie — July 30, 2011 @ 10:19 am

you could just skip the coffee and have a coconut hot chocolate….

• Kim — March 17th, 2012 @ 12:40 am

Wow Carrie! Two for one special…. love your idea of the coconut hot chocolate. Hot Almond Joy in a glass. Now I MUST try both!

• Krystal — June 20th, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

That is such a great idea! My kids are always begging me for my coffee and now they can have their own “coffee” thanks for the idea I can’t wait to try both of these!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — July 30, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Coconut Mochas are my favorite drink to order at Starbucks. I’m going to have to give this a try!

PS I just tried the silk Coconut Milk, Almond Milk and Dark Chocolate Almond Milk recently. So amazing. Who needs regular milk?

• Jessica — July 30th, 2011 @ 10:51 am

I hear ya! I LOVE those!

Claire — July 30, 2011 @ 11:22 am

Love this drink from Starbucks! I can’t wait to try one of my own at home!

Darnell Burrows — July 30, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

I totally love your photos, your humor, and will be trying some of those recipes you’ve shared with us!
    Thank you for being YOU! :-)

ddemos — July 30, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Just felt the need to share this for you…cold brewed coffee is awesome and so easy…this is a staple in my house in the summer and better than anything I have ever had at starbucks…

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — July 30, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

I love how this is dairy-free–now I can drink 5 of these!

Homegrown Beanes — July 30, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

There are no words! These look fantastic!

Kat from SensibleLessons — July 31, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

Holy smokes. I’ve got to make this. Ice coffee is my BFF and we will be soulmates once I make this version!! Thanks so much!!

Amy | She Wears Many Hats — August 1, 2011 @ 9:16 am

YUM!

That about sums it up I think.

Carissa — August 1, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

That’s my favorite frap, too. One day it suddenly appeared on the Starbucks menu and I ordered it right away. It’s hard to justify the cost + the large calorie amount, though, so I’m an infrequent drinker. Can’t wait to try this! I could have sooooo much more often! Yum!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — August 2, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

I think this should be title homemade mocha-coconut-i-died-and-went-to-heaven coffee

Martha S — August 2, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

You MUST try cold brew coffee!! I use Pioneer Woman’s method (which is pretty much the same as everyone else’s, but I love reading her!). I use my Gevalia decaf French roast. It’s delish! And I put just a bit of coconut syrup (1 part water to 1 part splenda and some coconut extract) in mine. I am in love with the Starbucks Mocha Coconut Fraps, but can’t afford to spend $6 every day on one! I just make my own (just about) every morning. And I know there are less calories. There has to be…

Tracy — August 3, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

Sounds amazing! Definitely something I could get addicted to!!

anne — August 8, 2011 @ 12:29 am

thanks for doing all the leg work for me…i LOVE these (and they have them in light you know, so then it’s only 130 calories, but still like $17 dollars…but worth it)…any who i have a frappacino maker, and yes, i will be making this to keep my addiction going. thank you. no…really, thank you!!!

Janet — August 9, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I can’t wait to try it! I have a couple of questions… Am I supposed to use the full can of COLD full-fat coconut milk and 2 tablespoons of sugar to make the whipped cream? Then when I’m pouring the coffee I use 1/2 cup of any kind of coconut milk that I want and a teaspoon of sugar?

JC — August 12, 2011 @ 8:40 am

This would be fan-frikkin’-tastic mixed with some Patron XO coffee liqueur…

Courtney R — August 12, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Best part is, I think this can be made totally gluten free! I’m about to become my mom’s favorite daughter.

Heather N — August 12, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

Yes, I think I love you :) I came for the Mocha Coconut cupcakes, but stayed for the DIY MC Fraps… *drool*

Annie — August 22, 2011 @ 11:15 am

Oh. My. Goodness. Reading your posts is like seeing the voices in my head on the screen! So addicted!

Tara Connor — August 23, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I am trying to make this recipe this morning however I have a giant carton of coconut milk and have no idea how many ounces to use for the whipped cream because I have no idea how many ounces are in a can….help!

• Jessica — August 23rd, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Unfortunately the coconut milk in the carton won’t work for the whipped cream – you have to use the full fat kind in the can because it separates into cream. I mean, you can try to whip it up but it would be similar to try to whip regular milk into cream.

abbeyviolet — September 7, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

I too was devastated when mocha coconut frap disappeared (true 1st world problem, I know). Anyway, tried this and loved it!

Amanda — September 11, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

One can of coconut milk has three day’s worth of your saturated fat content. I would use less coconut milk if I were you and replace it with some lowfat milk. It sounds amazing but would not be good for you on a daily basis….

Christa — September 19, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

found this recipe on Pinterest…sounds delish! I found that I could sub the mocha base for a caramel base at Starbucks..so I now order a caramel coconut frap. that.is.delish!

Gabriella Marie — January 19, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

Hi there! I stumbled across your recipe while on pinterest today and I could not resist posting about it. I just wanted to say thank you for supplying the blogosphere with some of the most delicious recipes and creations.

Find the post here: http://gabriellaamarie.blogspot.com/2012/01/cold-front.html

xo, Gabriella

Dianna — February 19, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

*Yum, I just made this but I blended it all up in the blender. I used torani vanilla syrup instead of vanilla extract, no sugar and left out the whipped cream. It taste great. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.

Jacquelyn — February 29, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

Did you just whip the CREAM from the cold coconut milk? You are supposed to leave the coconut water in the can and just scoop out the semi-hardened cream. Maybe that’s why yours was runny?

Teresa — May 1, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

I loved your story as much as I love mocha coconut frappucino!!!!

Miss Emily K — May 24, 2012 @ 9:59 am

That looks really good! Can you used decaf coffee?

Meredith — May 29, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

Hey there! That recipe looks great. I can’t wait to try it out!

I agree with Jacquelyn. I make coconut whipped cream for desserts, and I have found that it works best if you take a can of full fat coconut milk and store it in the fridge overnight or as long as possible (I just store my coco milk in the fridge, so I don’t have to plan ahead). Then you can just skim off the thickest fattiest yummiest part from the top (use the light leftovers for curried sweet potato soup!). It is more heavenly and decadent than cow’s milk whipped cream. The other cool thing is that coconut oil helps lower cholesterol! Not to say that a coffee drink loaded with caffeine and sugar is a health drink, but hey. At least it’s not all bad! I look forward to treating myself with this delectable dessert!

Wendy — May 29, 2012 @ 8:00 pm

Love your post! =) So entertaining! Just wanted to give you an idea, coffee icecubes ~ I love them because they don’t water your drink down like regular ice cubes do. Just use any leftover coffee you may have, put in ice tray. When they set up just pop them into a ziplock to keep them fresh. Yum! Thanks for the awesome reciepes!

Faye Escamilla — June 19, 2012 @ 8:19 pm

Never commented on a post before…I def want to try this ASAP! The best part tho was reading how you got to this place of making your own drink. Thanks for the smile :)

suzy — June 21, 2012 @ 11:19 am

as anyone tried making it with decaf coffee? i love blended coffee drinks,was hooked on dutch bros but i cant have regular coffee now and for awhile because im 7 months pregnant today and will breastfeed so none for awhile.i have been wanting coffee so bad got decaf blended cocomo from dutch bros,but its not very coconutty.this sounds like it would be.

Jamie — July 8, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

This sounds so crazy good! And sounds easy to make that I think even i can pull it off! Thanks for sharing your creation, i am totally goin to try this!!

Kelly — July 16, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

Umm this is perfection in a glass, yes please!! :)

Sahrish — July 20, 2012 @ 7:34 am

I absolutely love it ! and the way you tell the recipe :D

Lindsay — July 23, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

I’m so thankful I stumbled across this on Pinterest, can’t wait to give it a try tomorrow morning!
    Thanks!

Truth Truex — September 9, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

Yes I got one from Hawaii and now I can’t get enough Coconut, mocha and coffee. I like coffee. You are my kind of girl. I will give this recipe a try. Loved your article.

Dana Corriel — September 9, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

Having a birthday bash this week with over 30 girlfriends! Started a blog several weeks back with similar loves.. if the drink turns out a hit I will write a post and link! Looks great, love your graphics!! Sincerely, Three Teaspoons of Vintage :)

Stef Smith — December 12, 2012 @ 10:41 am

I think you’re my soul mate! I didn’t go near coffee until my husband ordered a mocha coconut frappuccino from Starbucks two years ago and I took that first amazing sip! Since then, I’m a coffee freak! I tried to concoct a recipe for them on my own, but it just didn’t work, I think this one will! Thank you!!!

Mary — May 3, 2013 @ 6:25 pm

Hint if anyone wants a stronger coconut flavor – sub half (or all) of the vanilla extract for coconut extract. I love coconut so so much and it really helps give this an extra coconutty kick!

Monica McGuiness — June 8, 2013 @ 9:35 pm

OMG. This looks so good. I get hives when I drink coffee and I have to be dairy free. I hope all you coffee drinkers out there appreciate the luxury of being able to drink coffee. I do sometimes, but I suffer. I love the mason jars.

Sarah — July 2, 2013 @ 1:13 am

This looks so refreshing! I want one now! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!!! I had featured U in the post of Beat The Summer Heat With These 7 Homemade Iced Coffee on AllFreshRecipes, if u have any other recipes want to be featured. let me know.

Acsa Harper — January 15, 2014 @ 2:40 pm

I am in love with this post!!!
    You are hilarious, I was sitting here at home with my 7 month old exhausted and craving coffee like a crazy person.
    I was debating on going to Starbucks but running to Starbucks childless was so much faster now with a baby it takes forever. And the closest Starbucks doesn’t have drive-thru. Hello??? I don’t want to put pants and shoes on haha.
    I am making this right now! I’m going to put my baby down for a nap and then I’m going to drink this under my blanket so my husband doesn’t see it and he will want a sip hahaha.
    Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa — March 1, 2014 @ 8:21 pm

Hi this sounds delicious. Can someone let me know the difference between the 2 coconut milks needed. One says canned? What’s the difference. Thank you

Katheirne — June 8, 2014 @ 1:06 pm

If you’re near a Trader Joe’s, try a can of coconut cream, instead of milk, for the whipped cream. Works great. And they also have bottled coffee concentrate (essentially the cold brew coffee)

1. Pingback: Head in the clouds. | Danelle Bourgeois

2. Pingback: Cake Batter Martinis | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday

4. Pingback: Mocha Coconut Frappuccino Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: I Heart Iced Coffee – GraceLaced

6. Pingback: DIY Starbucks | Homemade {Starbucksish} Mocha Coconut Iced Coffee

7. Pingback: Monday’s Pretty Things :: Coffee | oaxacaborn

8. Pingback: » Clean Your Coffee Maker And Make Mocha Iced Coffee BrightNest Blog

9. Pingback: No-Bake Coconut Cream Goat Cheese Cheesecake | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: No-Bake Coconut Cream [Goat Cheese] Cheesecake. | Lifestyle Pins

11. Pingback: No-Bake Coconut Cream [Goat Cheese] Cheesecake. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

12. Pingback: DIY Homemade Frappuccino — the Perfect Summer Drink » Susan Tuttle Photography

13. Pingback: What I’ve Been Up To | designbylulu – paper | baby | home

14. Pingback: Mocha Coconut Fudge | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: 8 Delish Drinks for National Caffeine Awareness Month (YUM!) | The Nest Blog – Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice

16. Pingback: No-bake Coconut Cream [goat cheese] Cheesecake | dessertcrisis

17. Pingback: 25 Delicious Coffee Recipes - Lattes, Frappes + MORE!

18. Pingback: Coffee Inspired | Life of a potato

19. Pingback: 15 Recipes for Delightful Coffee

20. Pingback: Best 5 Drinks for Reading - Amicia Rai

21. Pingback: Orange Spice Pumpkin Coconut Pie | Dessert For Two

22. Pingback: 25 Delicious Coffee Recipes | Best time COFFEE

23. Pingback: 25 Delicious Coffee Recipes | Chef Recipes

24. Pingback: Mocha Coconut Coffee | Recipe Hub

25. Pingback: The Best 15 Morning Coffee Ideas

26. Pingback: Cold Coffee! - Songbirds and Buttons

27. Pingback: 15 Best Iced Coffees in the World

28. Pingback: 15 Iced Coffee Recipes - Dukes & Duchesses

29. Pingback: Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees. | How Sweet It Is | Pots, Pans and Proverbs

30. Pingback: Here & Now // 14 | HOMErandRuth

31. Pingback: 5 Ways To Have A Well-Crafted Life | Brika Blog

32. Pingback: Saturday Special #42 | Blonde and Glasses

33. Pingback: Top 10 Iced Coffee Recipes For Hot Summer Days

34. Pingback: 25 Delicious Coffee Recipes | Recipe Van – Food Truck Recipes

35. Pingback: From Lovers with Love » Make Iced Coffee at Home and Enjoy Your Perfect Mornings. Recipe Ideas

36. Pingback: 10 Coffee Recipes For Coffee Lovers - Reach Your Peak