Let me tell you something.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

When I was a freshman in college, I once ventured to Starbucks. This wasn’t a frequent happening because 1. I didn’t like coffee whatsoever except when loaded with tons of crap and heavy cream… sort of like now, and 2. there wasn’t a Starbucks on campus. Clearly I went to college in the stone age.

One night my friends and I somehow hitched a ride (not literally, but you know) to Starbucks and that’s when I saw it on the menu: mocha coconut frappuccino. [um, how is “frappuccino” not recognized by spell check? for serious? spell check needs a makeover… gotta get with the times.]

I.almost.died.

Two of my FAVORITE ingredients combined?! Who cares if I didn’t like coffee – at any rate I was ordering white chocolate mocha frapps once or twice a year, drinking half and trashing them. With mocha coconut I would FOR SURE finish it. Holy dreamboat.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

I ordered one.

I sipped.

I almost fainted.

I slurped it to the bottom.

I almost wet myself from excitement.

I literally almost wet myself from drinking 48 ounces of diuretics and sugar.

I became poor.

[I should also mention that this was the same year I bought a $98 sparkly black belt with my dad’s credit card. Uhh… that turned out about as good as you are envisioning. Because, you know, it’s not like HE WAS PAYING FOR MY EDUCATION OR ANYTHING. Not sure why I didn’t think “belt” would show up on the Express monthly statement, but when it did… let’s just say that I’m still suffering hearing loss from the shouts through my red Nokia phone.]

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

Starbucks became my new favorite place. But it wasn’t like I was there all the time. It wasn’t on campus + I didn’t have a car + I still didn’t love coffee + coffee made (and still makes) me have humongous anxiety/buzz/jitters issues. I feel like a freak on drugs.

Until one day I walked in and… it was off the menu.

What the what?! I couldn’t believe my own eyes because I figured it HAD to be a popular drink. Seriously, I was jacked. If I had any semblance of a backbone, I may have called and complained. Instead I just didn’t go to Starbucks for like six years and developed a nasty rice krispy treat addiction. Not even joking. These babies were the size of my head.

Imagine my delight when my cousin told me last week that she had a mocha coconut frappucinno! YES. My prayers had been answered. Now… I just needed to figure out how I could add $6.00 to my daily food budget and an extra 800 calories.

Or… just make my own.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

I’m sure the regular mocha coconuts have coconut syrup in them, so this isn’t quite as coconutty, but I can promise that is gets 98% close. The best part? COCONUT MILK WHIPPED CREAM. I knew that Ashley had made this before and when I texted her in a frenzy from the grocery store, she assured me it would work. And that it did.

We have a layer of chocolate fudge, a pour of caffeine, a healthy glug of coconut milk, a blob of coconut whipped cream, freshly toasted coconut and a chocolate fudge drizzle. Oh mylanta.

Just make sure you use a deliciously flavored coffee, such as fudge brownie or macaroon to heighten your experience. And don’t use something wacky like strawberry. Because then it will just taste… weird.

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees

[copied from Starbucks using my iced mocha recipe + ashley’s coconut whipped cream]

makes 1 serving

5 ounces brewed coffee, cold

1/2 cup coconut milk [your choice: lite, full-fat, or the refrigerated kind]

3 tablespoons chocolate syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons toasted coconut

1 can COLD full-fat coconut milk

2 tablespoons sugar

Brew coffee and let cool – this can work with leftover morning coffee, or I suggest making some at night and once it cools, putting it in the fridge overnight. However you want to do it, as long as you have cold coffee, you are set! I still have not tried cold brewed coffee but I know I need to.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or using a bowl and an electric hand mixer), add cold coconut milk and sugar. Beat until peaks form and you have the consistency of whipped cream – about 6 minutes. Mine did not get quite as thick as regular whipped cream and was still a bit runny – but I have no patience. It was still delicious.

Fill the bottom of your glass with 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup, then add ice cubes. Pour in coffee, then coconut milk, then vanilla, then sugar and mix well with a spoon. Add in some toasted coconut if you wish.

Add 1-2 tablespoons of whipped coconut cream on top and another tablespoon or 2 of chocolate syrup. Drink up!

Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees I howsweeteats.com

Please try. I promise it is worthy of all the CAPS LOCK and exclamation points peppered throughout this post. [!!!]

222 Responses to “Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees.”

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 29, 2011 @ 7:06 am

I’m a huge coffee/Starbucks fan, so this is a MUST try :) Thanks!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 29, 2011 @ 7:07 am

“I just needed to figure out how I could add $6.00 to my daily food budget and an extra 800 calories.”

LOL and so true!

Omg those look INSANELY good!

The fact that you can whip coconut milk just like whipping cream and get it pretty darn puffy and whippy and have it all sugared up…ooooh, that is music to my ears!

I can do the same thing with almond milk but honestly, coconut milk trumps almond milk, any.day.

And so glad that you’re on the dark side now liking coffee. Even if it’s well-sweetened. Which is how I HAVE to have mine!

Ashley H — July 29, 2011 @ 7:15 am

I think I love you. Creepy? Maybe. But this likes amazing && coconut, chocolate and coffee happen to be very high up on my list of favorite things!!! Thank you!!!

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:35 am

Not creepy!!

• Ashley H — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:54 pm

Haha! Well you know I ran out today, got the ingredients and made this! It was de-licious!!! And I can*t express in words how good it felt to not have to go to a Starbucks with two young kids to get a yummy coffee drink!!! Enjoy your vacation!

Blond Duck — July 29, 2011 @ 7:18 am

It’s so cute in it’s little jar!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 29, 2011 @ 7:22 am

Starbucks needs to start serving their drinks in mason jars!

emily — July 29, 2011 @ 7:23 am

I so wish this could be delivered to me, right this moment…

Emily — July 29, 2011 @ 7:24 am

Okay, when I saw a little blurb about “mocha coconut frap’ on my blog roll I nearly flipped (no, seriously). I’m so addicted to this drink that I’ve blogged about it several times in the last month, and I just might have ordered the drink at Starbucks’ more than once this month! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the recipe!

Emily http://www.mywordsinterestslife.blogspot.com

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:35 am

I had my first this week and I know it’s starting an addiction!

Fallon — July 29, 2011 @ 7:27 am

Oh yum! That is actually one of my favorite frap drinks as well but I just can’t see spending so much money on them! Then I think of calories and I go for plain boring coffee ;) At least making them at home you can enjoy all the time and less calories!

Cara — July 29, 2011 @ 7:29 am

Wow that looks beautiful! I love it in the jars! Must. Make. Soon!

Erica — July 29, 2011 @ 7:33 am

This is joshs favorite drink! And really, coconut makes everything better

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — July 29, 2011 @ 7:38 am

I wish I had that as my coffee for this morning!!! :-) Fabulous!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 29, 2011 @ 7:41 am

So true about the 800 calories — those fraps taste so good that you know they are total calorie bombs.

Kristen@PrettySweet — July 29, 2011 @ 7:41 am

I only just discovered the mocha coconut happiness THIS summer! Maybe it’s because I used to automatically cross anything with coconut off my list, but *no longer.* I am loving it in everything now…and I even have some coconut syrup and coconut milk already, so obviously, the only thing standing in my way today is time. You have excellent ideas, Mrs. How Sweet.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:33 am

If you try it with the coconut syrup let me know!!

Blog is the New Black — July 29, 2011 @ 7:41 am

i die and die again when i see your posts. You know I heart you real hard, but for realsies, thanks for giving me something to look forward to every day at 730!

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Thanks girl you’re the best!

Kelly — July 29, 2011 @ 7:44 am

OMG. I also love these things. I mean, I don’t want to even think about the calories in them. Looks soooo good. I tried making a healthy protien powder frappuccino, I’ll have to try to make this version too!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 29, 2011 @ 7:45 am

when i worked at starbucks after college people would come in all the time begging for that drink and we didn’t have it anymore…that was some hard news to break to some of them. i never got to try it til recently though and now i see where the addiction lies!

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:32 am

Any idea why they did away with it???

• Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:04 am

well, if i’m being honest it’s probably (and this is total speculation) because it was used as a promotion to jump sales numbers and then they just moved on to the next promotion. but like i said, it was a HUGE hit so maybe they’re bringing it back permanently or in the summers (like the pumpkin spice latte in the fall/winter) now! i hope so anyway :)

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — July 29, 2011 @ 7:46 am

I can only imagine how dreamy this tastes! :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — July 29, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Ooooh, I was eyeing this at Starbux the other day. Looks so tasty! Love how it’s dessert and coffee in one!

Kelly — July 29, 2011 @ 7:54 am

Haha!!! I think we went to college at the same time….no Starbucks on campus and I had a blue Nokia phone. Ah…those were the days!

Amanda — July 29, 2011 @ 7:58 am

You never fail to amaze me…and we are like one mind!! Through the whole post I’m chuckling about your use of CAPS and !!!! and sure enough at the end you address the excess use of said CAPS and !!!!. One mind.

If I drink this standing up in the kitchen…that makes it fat-free right? Because I’m standing when I drink it? I think that’s how it works. I’m pretty sure. Yeah.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:31 am

I can get behind that idea.

Lauren — July 29, 2011 @ 8:02 am

LOVE the addition of toasted coconut on top! It looks incredible-and so much better than what they have to offer!
    And if it makes you feel any better, I nearly wet myself daily when I get my coffee it makes me that happy. Strange, but true. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 29, 2011 @ 8:04 am

This is beeee–youu–tiful!! I spent many, many university days studying at Starbucks, and luckily my relatives and friends know me well enough to buy me enough Starbucks gift cards to last me almost an entire year. Like you, I became very well acquainted with frappuccinos – the caramel ones were my faves. Oh -and snap on the Nokia phone – I had one in high school!

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:31 am

They were the coolest.

Brittany — July 29, 2011 @ 8:11 am

You are a genius. A genius with beautiful photos. :)

PS- You definitely need to try cold brewed coffee!! We have a Toddy and I LOVE it. The iced coffee it makes tastes fresh, not acidicy (yes I just made up that word) and old like most hot coffee turned cold.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:30 am

I’m dying to try it but afraid I will get addicted!

Ericka — July 29, 2011 @ 8:15 am

omg, that looks so much better than Starbucks! I really want to make this now even though I don’t LOVE coconut. I think I could learn to love :)

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:29 am

I think it has the perfect coconut taste!

Sommer J — July 29, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Awesome!!! I have the same relationship with coffee as you. Loads of cream, choc and sugar. This look lovely! Def a great weekend indulging!! Thanks for sharing this!!

jenna — July 29, 2011 @ 8:25 am

college was such a weird time! but it was full of frappucinos and uncalled for calories.
    this drink looks amazing! your pictures of it are gorgeous!

Elysha — July 29, 2011 @ 8:29 am

I absolutely hate, despise, abhor coffee, but give it a shot of flavor, lots of sugar and cream, and I’ll gladly fork over $6.00 to feel like Steven Tyler on stage circa 1985. And did I mention that coconut is the best flavor/smell in the universe (hello, Girl Scout, please put me down for 18 boxes of Samoas). This looks divine. Have you seen PW’s post about making iced coffee? I may have to try it now, and add in this deliciousness.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:37 am

You just described my exact feelings on coffee.

Jenn from Much to My Delight — July 29, 2011 @ 8:30 am

This looks AMAZING! I too am a big big fan of anything in the coconut-cocoa genre. My question is: when you are talking of coconut milk, do you mean the canned kind, or the one they’re selling next to soy milk?

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 8:39 am

For the whipped cream you must use the full-fat and that is the kind that comes in a can. For the 1/2 cup IN the coffee you can use the canned or refrigerated!

• Amy — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:05 am

My grocery store (a.k.a Walmart) STOPPED selling Coconut Milk in the fridge part….I actually got up the nerve and complained! I was buying it all the time, and then all of a sudden, it’s gone! Sooo frustrating. Glad to know the canned version will work for this!

• Amy — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Oh, but I did find Almond Joy coffee creamer!!!!!! DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:57 am

I want that!

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:58 am

Really?!? I would be crushed. I loooove it.

Jasey @ Crazy Daisy — July 29, 2011 @ 8:35 am

I love them too! I created brownies in their likeness :)! Yummy! http://www.jaseyscrazydaisy.com/2011/07/mocha-coconut-creme-brownies.html

Happy Day,
    Jasey

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — July 29, 2011 @ 8:46 am

I am drinking a large coconut iced coffee as I’m reading this…and finding myself craving a large mocha coconut iced coffee…

Clearly I have a problem.

Erin@ Cooking on Whim — July 29, 2011 @ 8:58 am

This is BY FAR my favorite Starbucks drink EVER. I am so pumped to try your version. My husband is too. I feel like your version may have a more genuine coconut flavor.

Love this post.

sherri lynn @ life of a wife — July 29, 2011 @ 9:04 am

this is my current favorite drink at Starbucks! I must make this NOW!!

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — July 29, 2011 @ 9:07 am

Holy @$*# this looks amazing! I love coconut mocha frappacinos, because they taste like samoas the girl scout cookies! I am a closet frappacino lover, I always felt a little lame for getting them but I’ve embraced the anti-coffeeness about frappacinos at this point but not the price tag. Your version looks awesome and could save sooo much money!

Krysten — July 29, 2011 @ 9:07 am

OMG! They had the same thing at Caribou–which I am partial to being from Minnesota. But, you DO need to try cold brewed coffee–best purchase I made in a long time was our French Press. Super easy. Brew it cold, pop it in the fridge and mix with milk and ice in the morning. I understand you don’t loooove coffee like I do but, it would help you make these Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees!!! Have a nice weekend : )

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I have a French press and didn’t even think to do my cold brewed in that!! You are brilliant!

Meg @ write meg! — July 29, 2011 @ 9:08 am

I die — this looks incredible. And I could certainly benefit from not indulging my Starbucks obsession as often as I do! Plus, homemade is always better. :)

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 29, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Oh my goodness!! I love the presentation, too!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — July 29, 2011 @ 9:11 am

Yum this sounds amazing! I need to learn how to make my own coffee drinks, it would help my starbucks addiction! Although I am starting to love black coffee with just a bit of cinnamon, I know odd!

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — July 29, 2011 @ 9:11 am

Good God, that looks delicious. I had a sip of my friend’s coconut mocha frap the other day and it tasted like a girl scout samoa cookie! That coconut whipped cream—fricking yum. I can see myself making that and putting it on all sorts of things.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Yes that is exactly what it tastes like!!

Noelle — July 29, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Looks fan-freakin-tastic! What was your final cost for your ingredients? Did I miss that section? Curious.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Oh man I have no idea, but I had everything on hand so didn’t end up buying anything. I would like to get some coconut syrup though!

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — July 29, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Looks so good! I love coconut… and coffee… and chocolate… and whipped cream. This is basically heaven.

Jennifer — July 29, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve recently become obsessed with the Starbucks Frap version of this and I’m so excited to make it.

Diana — July 29, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Yum! I love coffee and I love coconut, so I’m sure I’d love this! It looks fantastic! :)

DessertForTwo — July 29, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Excuse me while I put every can of coconut milk in my pantry into my fridge to make a continuous supply of these! Oh my!

Alex @ Alex Eats Green — July 29, 2011 @ 9:26 am

Oh man, oh man. Those look delicious. I may or may not have a Starbucks gold card with my name engraved on it. I may or may not enter Starbucks every single day for my daily hit. I MAY have to try these at home, so that I can put some money into savings! Yummayyy. Beautiful pics. :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 29, 2011 @ 9:28 am

This has been my absolute favorite summer treat, I can’t believe you just recreated it! genius, seriously.

Jasey @ Crazy Daisy — July 29, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Do you think you could blend it?

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Definitely! I meant to add that in the instructions.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 29, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Really?? I didn’t know this USED to be on their menu! What were they thinking?! This is the best drink they’ve got (also a NON-coffee drinker) and I discovered it last month and died just like you. The hubby loves it too, which means whenever we go out to do errands we have to stop at a Starbucks so he can handle the malls/targets/grocery stores. But then he gets upset when I drink half of it. Hahaha.

megabrooke — July 29, 2011 @ 9:52 am

oh my god. we are now for sure long lost sisters and not just because of the nokia phone reference (mine was pink). JUST THE OTHER DAY i tried my first mocha coconut frappucino, and you can get it in light there, so there’s a little something. i loved it! and i know, KNOW i’m going to love this. also, i just bought some cutsie new mason jars that i’ve been dying to put to good use. i can get behind this idea for sure.

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:59 am

I can get it made light?! I’m so behind the times. I need to try this

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — July 29, 2011 @ 9:55 am

I’m exactly the same, I don’t drink ‘normal’ coffee at all, only ones with foam, milk, sugar, cream etc! Luckily I much prefer tea anyway :)

Kellie — July 29, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Your post had me dying! haha. I remember those awesome sparkly belts! I had 3 of them… black, pink and silver, to go with my awesome Express felt-like pink & black pants. Awesome! hahaha.
    Anyways, I worked at Starbucks for 5 years throughout college… they always have mocha frappuccino and have coconut syrup in the summer… You can actually buy syrup bottles so people used to stock up on their favorite flavor & take it home or add it in their car once they got their drink.. no joke. I’m looking forward to trying your homemade one though!

• Jessica — July 29th, 2011 @ 10:57 am

Those belts were the best.

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Head in the clouds. | Danelle Bourgeois

2. Pingback: Cake Batter Martinis | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday

4. Pingback: Mocha Coconut Frappuccino Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: I Heart Iced Coffee – GraceLaced

6. Pingback: DIY Starbucks | Homemade {Starbucksish} Mocha Coconut Iced Coffee

7. Pingback: Monday’s Pretty Things :: Coffee | oaxacaborn

8. Pingback: » Clean Your Coffee Maker And Make Mocha Iced Coffee BrightNest Blog

9. Pingback: No-Bake Coconut Cream Goat Cheese Cheesecake | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: No-Bake Coconut Cream [Goat Cheese] Cheesecake. | Lifestyle Pins

11. Pingback: No-Bake Coconut Cream [Goat Cheese] Cheesecake. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

12. Pingback: DIY Homemade Frappuccino — the Perfect Summer Drink » Susan Tuttle Photography

13. Pingback: What I’ve Been Up To | designbylulu – paper | baby | home

14. Pingback: Mocha Coconut Fudge | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: 8 Delish Drinks for National Caffeine Awareness Month (YUM!) | The Nest Blog – Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice

16. Pingback: No-bake Coconut Cream [goat cheese] Cheesecake | dessertcrisis

17. Pingback: 25 Delicious Coffee Recipes - Lattes, Frappes + MORE!

18. Pingback: Coffee Inspired | Life of a potato

19. Pingback: 15 Recipes for Delightful Coffee

20. Pingback: Best 5 Drinks for Reading - Amicia Rai

21. Pingback: Orange Spice Pumpkin Coconut Pie | Dessert For Two

22. Pingback: 25 Delicious Coffee Recipes | Best time COFFEE

23. Pingback: 25 Delicious Coffee Recipes | Chef Recipes

24. Pingback: Mocha Coconut Coffee | Recipe Hub

25. Pingback: The Best 15 Morning Coffee Ideas

26. Pingback: Cold Coffee! - Songbirds and Buttons

27. Pingback: 15 Best Iced Coffees in the World

28. Pingback: 15 Iced Coffee Recipes - Dukes & Duchesses

29. Pingback: Homemade Mocha Coconut Iced Coffees. | How Sweet It Is | Pots, Pans and Proverbs

30. Pingback: Here & Now // 14 | HOMErandRuth

31. Pingback: 5 Ways To Have A Well-Crafted Life | Brika Blog

32. Pingback: Saturday Special #42 | Blonde and Glasses

33. Pingback: Top 10 Iced Coffee Recipes For Hot Summer Days

34. Pingback: 25 Delicious Coffee Recipes | Recipe Van – Food Truck Recipes

35. Pingback: From Lovers with Love » Make Iced Coffee at Home and Enjoy Your Perfect Mornings. Recipe Ideas

36. Pingback: 10 Coffee Recipes For Coffee Lovers - Reach Your Peak