I’m going to let you in on a little secret.

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars I howsweeteats.com

I have no sense of direction. Like… absolutely none.

Hold up, let me check just one more time…

…yep. None. At all.

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars I howsweeteats.com

Yesterday I was driving home from a friend’s house and tried to take a shortcut and ended up lost during rush hour for 45 minutes. I was GPS-less and all my iPhone has is that maps thing (who can read those and city-drive?) and after glancing at that a few times I almost killed myself and half the city of Pittsburgh on wheels. Well, at least I think that is all my phone has but last time I checked, technology wasn’t my strong point either.

And one time (at band camp), as I was driving to the same friend’s house to watch the VERY important Dawson’s Creek series finale (team Pacey fo’ life!), I went across the wrong bridge. Then I got in the wrong lane. Then I ran over one of those giant orange cones. I would have kept going, except the owner of that giant orange cone (a hefty police person) flagged me down. Any other wise person would have just kept going… the man was on foot for gosh sakes during rush hour traffic on a BRIDGE. Over WATER.

But no. I pulled over like a nice girl and he gave me a ticket and screamed at me for destroying his orange cone (uhh… pretty sure you can get another one of those) and almost crushing his toes. I mean… it’s not like I MEANT to do it.

I was still lost and had no idea how to get to my destination and I wasn’t dare asking Mr. Orange Cone so I called my mom and just screamed and cried and threw a massive tantrum and acted like it wasn’t my fault, because really, why should I need a sense of direction? ANNNND now I was going to miss the beginning of the Dawson’s finale.

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars I howsweeteats.com

This is also sort of reminiscent of what happened this past Sunday when I asked Mr. How Sweet what nine times twelve is and he just stared me down like my brain was full of mush. I flipped out and told him that “I don’t need no stinkin’ math skills” and who cares if I don’t know what 30% off of $79.99 is because seriously, when will I ever need that?! Besides when I want to buy a top that is $79.99 and 30% off. Then I was all, “Seriously, don’t even look at me that way because you don’t even eat things that taste good, like avocados and coconut. I would much rather eat really good food then be good at math.”

Yeah.

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars I howsweeteats.com

Well… I have no point, except for the fact that after I finally returned home last night (um, 3 hours later), I soothed myself with three of these cookie bars. Doesn’t chewing chewy things relieve stress or something? I’ve got that covered. My jaw got a workout. Chocolate works miracles.

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars I howsweeteats.com

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars

[adapted from the giant rainbow [+cook’s illustrated, I think] cookies]

makes one 9 x 13 pan

2 cups of all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of salted butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup chocolate chunks

3/4 cup marshmallow fluff

1/2 cup crisped rice cereal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 over-safe baking dish.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugars until they are mixed. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. Fold in chocolate chunks. Gently fold in marshmallow fluff until you have a thick “ribbon” throughout the dough. Finally, fold in rice cereal.

Press dough in the baking dish evenly. Bake for 30-35 middles, or until edges are golden and middle is just a little jiggly. I covered my dish with foil about 25 minutes in so the top would not get too brown. Let cool for 30 minutes, then cut!

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars I howsweeteats.com

I might get lost more often.

[p.s. facebook fan giveaway today!]

162 Responses to “Chewy Chocolate Chunk Marshmallow Cookie Bars.”

Baking Serendipity — August 25, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

I can only think about two things: 1. These bars. 2. Missing part of the Dawson’s Creek finale. I would have flipped. (Team Pacey fo’sho’.)

Liz @ Southern Charm — August 25, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

Are these real? They look like heaven.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — August 25, 2011 @ 11:59 pm

Seriously? Is this real life? I need these now.

Tessa — August 26, 2011 @ 2:21 am

Love how ooey and gooey these seem. Yum!

CouponClippingCook — August 26, 2011 @ 2:36 am

Sounds sooooo good.

Jessica — August 26, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Could these be made in a cookie form too, or should I stick with the bar?

• Jessica — August 26th, 2011 @ 10:40 am

I’m thinking they could, since that is where the original recipe came from, but the fluff may cause the cookies to be thin/sticky? Not sure. Let me know if you try it!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — August 26, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Best post ever. Team Pacey!!! Seriously, that was an important episode you were trying to watch.. and that convo between you and Mr. How Sweet- my hubby and I have it three times a week! Who needs math.. :P

Kristina @ spabettie — August 26, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

I used to be an awesome driver, now everything gets me in a spin (although I still blame everyone else). and I still want to take race driving lessons. heh.

these bars would soothe ANY ticket or pylon mishap. :D

HeatherChristo — August 26, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

You are the funniest person that i “invisible” know.

These cookies look so good and I will probably make them today so that my kids will think I am great. Thank you :)

Diane {Created by Diane} — August 26, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

Bring on the FLUFF, these look yummy!

Julie — August 26, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

I need baking lessons….tried these last night but all the marshmallow burnt :(

• Jessica — August 26th, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

It burned?? What kind of pan did you use and did you cover them with the foil after 20 minutes?

• Julie — August 27th, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

Shoot. I used a regular Brownie pan (not glass) and did not read the ending that told me the foil trick. Ooops….
        The next day I made a cookie bar thing that had the chocolate and rice krispies, but I skipped the marshmallow and added pretzels and pb chips.

Sarah at Mr. Food — August 26, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

YUM. Is it terrible I want to put one between graham crackers??! Can’t wait to try :)

Tracy @ Commit To Fit — August 26, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

I am in love. I need to make these this weekend.

Lisa {With Style and Grace} — August 27, 2011 @ 1:44 am

drooling right now! I need to create a gluten-free version of these just so I can have a bite/half the batch, same thing ;)

Christine — August 27, 2011 @ 7:33 am

these look sooo delicious!

Ariel — August 27, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

Saw this….
    Thought of you.
    Sprinkles.
    amen!

steph — August 27, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Happy sweet saturday!! and thank you for sharing this recipe with us!!

Beth — August 27, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

Two days ago my boyfriend sent me a link to your mocha coconut cupcakes with a note saying ‘Make these.’ Now, two days later, I think I’ve bookmarked half your website for future use. These look amazing and so does everything else, ever.

Shann — August 31, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

How should these be kept after baking them?

Heather — August 31, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

I made these today as the first of several birthday cakes (can we call this a cake, just for today?) for my hubby, myself and my son all having birthdays in September (I know it isn’t September yet, but I love birthdays). I had no rice krispies, so I used a handful of oatmeal but otherwise followed the instructions (except maybe forgetting to measure the fluff and chocolate). The bars (er, cake) was amazing (and….um…mostly gone). Thanks, this is a winner; my family wants me to make it again tomorrow (or rather, tonight).

evelyn — September 9, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

your iPhone has GPS. go into maps and click on directions and then put in your start and end points. it’s really very very easy. you can switch between car, transit, and walking directions, too. and have it show traffic. and it will tell you how long it will take to get there.

these look delicious!

mary ellen — September 26, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

You had me at Fluff. These were delicious and a big hit.
    I made them just as written and then I tried them with 1 cup milk choc chips, 1 cup PB chips and 1 1/2 cups Fluff. I was told that they were “ridiculous!”
    One mishap- I decided using a levered 1/4 cup ice cream scoop would make measuring out the Fluff easier and I got my tongue stuck in the sweeper thingy trying to lick out the Fluff but it was worth it… :)

Kate — October 3, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

So, what are your thoughts on possibly turning these into mini-cupcakes? Possible, or not so much?

• Jessica — October 3rd, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

Well… they won’t be cake-like because that would require a different type of recipe, but I think you could make them into mini-muffin shaped cookie bites? Maybe bake for 8-10 minutes?

• Kate — October 4th, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I figured they wouldn’t be cake-y, due to the recipe, but honestly was just looking for another “shape” for the treat – I’ve been going overboard on cookies and cookie bars recently, but I like the idea of cookie bites! :) I’ll do a test run with just a couple to see how they turn out

Joy — November 30, 2012 @ 11:26 am

I am looking for a unique sweet for my daughter to take to a x-mas party with maybe 40 guests. anybody can bring choc. chip cookies. I want something a little more unique. any thoughts on maybe a unique bar or cookies. the dessert has to be transported via car so needs to travel well.

Dani — January 31, 2013 @ 10:03 pm

Have these in the oven now and can’t wait to try them. I hope I can discipline myself enough to not eat them when they come right out the oven. Can’t wait until i take these into work tomorrow and have my co-workers try them!

ashlynn — November 8, 2014 @ 5:12 pm

I frosted these with the left over marshmallow fluff and then put mini chocolate chips on top of that! So good! Thanks for the recipe :)

1. Pingback: Did you see this? « To-do List