You look hungry.

Here… have one of these. I made them just for you.

Okay… and me.

But at least I know how to share.

Peanut Butter Pretzel Granola Bars

[inspired by my little Clif bar addiction]

makes one 9 x 13 pan

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

1 cup puffed rice cereal

1 cup crushed salted pretzels

1/4 cup ground flaxseed

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts

2/3 cup creamy peanut butter

3 tablespoons butter, melted

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon honey (agave should work too)

2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl, combine oats, flour, puffed cereal, pretzels, brown sugar, peanuts, and flaxseed, and stir to combine. Add in peanut butter, and mix with a spoon to break it up and create a “dough,” mixing it in as much as you can for at least 5 minutes. Mix melted butter with vanilla extract and add to dough, then mix. Add in honey and stir to moisten completely. Fold in chocolate chips.

Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray and press the dough into the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove and let cool completely before cutting – there may be minimal crumbling but they should hold together completely. If you find they are crumbling, stick them in the fridge to chill for a few minutes and try again.

I accept compensation in the form of Louboutains, good Chardonnay and Godiva. Oh… and your love.

166 Responses to “Peanut Butter Pretzel Granola Bars.”

Louise — October 2, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

These look so good! I love a good sweet/salty combo. My husband would love these too, he eats pb out of the jar with a spoon practically every day :)

basildevelopment.blogspot.com

Ann — October 2, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

These look amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe…how cool that it has flax seed! A nice, healthy snack (I may have to make these for my doctors office). Can I ask you – what type of camera do you use? Do you use any special lighting or backgrounds? I looked to see if you had a photography page, but didn’t see one. I appreciate the info if you’re willing to share! Have a GREAT day!

• Jessica — October 2nd, 2011 @ 11:06 pm

I use a Nikon D5000 + all natural light with an occasional white bounce (just a little white piece of foam board) if needed. My backgrounds are usually only my dining room walls! I have a little bit of camera info on my FAQ page but not an actual photography page. :)

• Ann — October 2nd, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

Thanks SO much for the info…can I ask one more question? What type of lens? I’m on the hunt for a DSLR and your shots are amazing. I believe I’ve gone as far as I can with my current camera. It’s a decent enough point-and-shoot, but it’s still a point and shoot!

• Jessica — October 2nd, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

Oops sorry! I have a 35mm f/1.8. It’s pretty cheap ($99, I think?) but gets the job done. I’d really like a nice, fancy lens but have such a hard time justifying the cost since I rarely take photos outside of my blog stuff (besides wtih my iPhone) and just don’t love photography!

• Ann — October 2nd, 2011 @ 11:14 pm

Thank you! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your information! BTW – my husband is from Pittsburgh (Smithton area). We do, however, live in Florida. I’m reading your FAQ right now….sorry about the veggie love/hate relationship. I adore them!

• Jessica — October 2nd, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

Oh that is funny! I am fairly close to Smithton and went to highschool in Greensburg! :)

Anne Marie — October 3, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

THESE.ARE.UNREAL! I made them yesterday and need to confess that half the tray pretty much went from the oven to my belly in an 30 minutes flat. And I was very happy about it! Haha I also have an obsession with Clif Mojo bars (as does my husband) so I am very excited to have a perfect homemade version. Thank you, as always!

michelle — October 3, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

That first picture is gorgeous! can’t wait to make these

Dana@TheSundaySweet — October 4, 2011 @ 11:46 am

I always crave salty and sweet. I’m bookmarking these for future crazy craving times!

sunny — October 5, 2011 @ 6:25 pm

Autumn just hit us this week. It went from tank and shorts weather to sweaters and umbrellas, over night.
    It’s baking and cider weather and got a house full of kids today…..good day to try these yummy looking treats! …made the oatmeal choc chip cookies yesterday…already mostly gobbled up! ….don’t like raisins either…:D

Liz — October 6, 2011 @ 11:07 am

I just made these this week and they were a HUGE hit at work! Thanks for the recipe. I LOVE YOUR Blog!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 6, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Oh my… These look incredible!

Maria — October 6, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

I want to be eating these right now!

A Zesty Bite — October 11, 2011 @ 9:13 am

I made these delicious bars this past weekend and added chocolate to the top. You can check out the blog post at http://www.azestybite.com!

Stephanie — October 19, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

Making these tonight and can’t wait! Made the Spiced Quinoa Apple Pie Parfait, the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (O.M.GOSH) AND the crock pot french onion soup all this weekend. I was in the fall spirit and your delicious recipes accompanied that perfectly!!!

Amanda — November 8, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Omg these look awesome! I was wondering if I didn’t have flaxseed should I substitute them or just leave them out?

• Jessica — November 8th, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

I would probably add a little more of something dry – maybe some extra flour?

angie — November 9, 2011 @ 9:08 pm
    RaeAnn — December 4, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

Bought all the ingredients (or thought I bought all the ingredients and realized I didn’t have any puffed rice cereal, is there anything I can substitute for it?)

michelle — December 7, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

I made a double batch of these tonight and they’re were a huge hit. Thanks for the recipe!

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) — December 21, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

Finally got off my rear and made these after oogling this recipe since the day you posted it. Only, I didn’t have enough mini chocolate chips so I threw in some mini peanut butter cups to make up for the difference. What a tragedy. They are cooling right now – can’t wait to try them!!

• Alison (Fueling for Fitness) — December 21st, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

Update: if I don’t give some of these away, they will be gone by tomorrow night. Thank you for this recipe!

jenny — January 13, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

i just made these and my mom went wild! she loves them so much she is already wanting me to make more. thanks for the delicious recipe and the great idea. perfect with coffee too!

Cheryse — February 1, 2012 @ 12:20 am

Thanks for the recipe!!! I made it using agave nectar instead of honey but they were still somewhat crumbly after being chilled. It still tastes DELICIOUS so I will try it again with honey and see if that holds them together better.

Emma @ Boredom Is The Enemy — March 3, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

Hey Jessica! Just wanted to let you know that I posted an interpretation of your fabulous recipe, in case you want to check it out. Their new title: “Trader Joe’s Rehab Bars.” I have a feeling you can relate. Thanks for sharing! http://emmaaubryroberts.wordpress.com/2012/03/03/snack-therapy/

Piccola Italiana — March 24, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

I made these tonight and all I can say is, um, YUM? Once they’re gone/I eat all of them, I’m definitely making them again, but maybe with dried fruit so they’re more like Kind bars. Hmmm…thinking out loud here. Yeah. But anyway, thanks for the fantastic recipe, as always ;)

Kristin — March 25, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

I’ve been on a homemade granola bar binge – 5 recipes down in just the past week and made these today – OMG. The best of the bunch, by far – truly, these had the right blend of everything, not too sweet, a hint of saltiness, perfect amount of PB flavor, crunchy yet soft – a.maz.ing. Thank you!

Sara — April 4, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

Any sub for butter?

Rebecca Wise — May 25, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Do you know how many calories are in these?? I will be trying the recipe today! Just curious. :)

Chelsea — July 3, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

I make these bars ALL the time for my sister as part of a “survival kit” to take home every time she visits me. I never have puffed rice cereal at home, and have always made them with multigrain cheerios-they are delicious! I suppose you could crush them up first, but I just chuck them in whole.
    Thanks for the great recipe!

Lauren — September 8, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

Oh Yum- made these today! I was drawn in from the pretzels- I love a salty- sweet combo. There were different granola bars because there isn’t a lot of oats which is nice for a change. I halved the recipe but most of it was eaten up by the end of the day that I should made the larger pan. I could not stop eating this- I did not even wait for it to cool to cut into bars. I dug right in and ate it with a spoon- DELICIOUS. Also- for those that do not have or do not use flaxseed- I used sunflower seeds instead with great results.

Lauren — September 8, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

Also- forgot to add this note…….. I added a sprinkling of coarse pretzel salt (might be called kosher salt?) on top after removing from the oven. My pretzels were not too heavily salted so I added about 1/2 tsp. for a half pan (or 1 tsp. for a 9 by 13.) Perfect finishing touch- I guarantee you. Also Jessica, I love your blog. It is one of my favorites and I visit it frequently. Have made a lot of recipes from your blog- all of them with great results. Love the great pictures and especially the stories and comments that really make me laugh! :)

Katie — January 24, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

Just made these – totally awesome! :)

Marcie @ Flavor the Moments — January 25, 2013 @ 11:37 pm

You’re a girl after my own heart! Chewy, salty, crunchy, yum! I love, love, love snacks like this that are indulgent, yet healthy. I can’t bake things like this enough, and it’s much better than anything you can eat out of a bag!

Daisy Hoemann — April 26, 2013 @ 12:36 am

Energy bars, like all food, supply the body with physical energy, as measured in calories or joules. Energy drinks, by contrast, are intended to improve mental energy by stimulating the central nervous system, usually with moderate to large doses of caffeine.-: