Nothing is quite as delightful as brown butter.

You hear me? NOTHING.

Eh… well, maybe a few things. Hmmm. Let’s see. [P.S. does anyone have a straw? Because I’m 2 seconds away from drinking this.]

1. Ryan Gosling.

2. The first bite of gravy piled on top of stuffing piled on top of mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving. Which I’m sure makes you I-can’t-let-my-food-touch-on-my-plate people (I’m looking at you, Kelly) cringe.

3. #1… sans shirt.

4. Little black dresses that fit like a glove.

But that’s all. Seriously. I mean, I can’t even think of anything else because I love brown butter so much. And I’m definitely done thinking about brown butter and little black dresses TOGETHER. Forever. That’s just no fun.

Sure, I go through my phases – or shall we call them obsessions? – but this one is sticking. I honestly can’t think of a darn thing that brown butter doesn’t compliment perfectly. I don’t even know if I’ll use plain butter on the reg anymore.

But what the heck do I know?

I know enough to tell you that this is my current favorite cookie. The best cookie, according to me, that has come out of my kitchen. And maybe that’s just because I want to drink the brown butter or maybe it’s because I spent the majority of ages 9, 10 and 11 living off of Heath Bar Blizzards and crying that I couldn’t squeeze into my lace-bottomed leggings, but whatever.

These have got to make an appearance in your kitchen.

Brown Butter Chocolate-Stuffed Toffee Cookies

[adapted from the giant rainbow cookies]

makes 12 large cookies

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of unsalted butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup toffee chips (such as Heath chocolate-covered toffee bits)

chocolate chunks, baking squares, or chocolate bars cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add butter. Whisk until butter melts, then continue to stir and whisk just until tiny brown bits appear at the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat immediately as the butter can burn very quickly. Set aside and let cool for about 10-15 minutes, until the butter comes to room temperature.

Once butter has cooled, add to a large bowl. Whisk in sugars until smooth and caramely in color, then add in the egg and egg yolk. Mix again until combined, then add in vanilla extract and mix. Add in flour, baking and soda and salt, and mix until a dough forms. The dough may be crumbly but continue to mix – even using your hands if needed – until it comes together. Fold in toffee chips.

Roll about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough into a ball, then press some chocolate (your choice) into the middle. Top with an additional 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough, and seal the sides, rolling the dough into a golfball-sized ball. Place on a baking sheet about 3 inches apart (I only baked 6 at a time). Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then gently remove with a spatula to a cooling rack.

Happy now?

177 Responses to “Brown Butter Chocolate-Stuffed Toffee Chip Cookies.”

Mal @ The Chic Geek — October 27, 2011 @ 9:42 am

oh…wow…yum. I want these now. Also #3 :-D

Nisrene — October 27, 2011 @ 9:43 am

It’s raining in the Jerz today…therefore it’s a ‘rest’ day….rain and working out…they just don’t go together which means I have plenty of time to make these! I may or may not end up eating them all in once sitting because they look delicious…but I keep reminding myself photoshop doesn’t work in real life

• Jessica — October 27th, 2011 @ 10:02 am

Ha, I am laughing out loud right now because I can’t tell you how many times over the years I’ve said “oh, it’s raining. i’ll take today off from the gym.”

• Krystina (Organically Me) — October 27th, 2011 @ 10:06 am

Welcome to my life. Or “it’s too nice out to go to the gym. Wanna get ice cream?”

Annie — October 27, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Those look fantastic!

Estela @ weekly bite — October 27, 2011 @ 9:54 am

Wow! These look amazing. Toffee and chocolate are one of my favorite combos :)

Sweet Marcella — October 27, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I will bring two straws and help you drink the brown butter! It is one of my favorite flavors :)

galit — October 27, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Oh my. That’s set me up for the week/weekend!

Julie H. of Sprinach and Sprinkles — October 27, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Oooo, # 3…. Personal favorite of mine! :)

sherri lynn @ life of a wife — October 27, 2011 @ 10:00 am

These look ridiculous! which of course is a good thing because ridiculous food is the best!

Cait's Plate — October 27, 2011 @ 10:03 am

I choose all of the above :)

These look phenomenal!!

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas — October 27, 2011 @ 10:07 am

hahahah your laced bottom leggings :D
    mmmm these sound like a perfect cookie for TOM (Time Of Month) ;)

Krystina (Organically Me) — October 27, 2011 @ 10:08 am

I’m going to go ahead and bet that brown butter and Ryan Gosling don’t go together, either. Unless he is covered in brown butter. Then that works.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — October 27, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Ryan Gosling, mmmmm…..Ryan Gosling! I am going to go out on a limb and admit that I have never had browned butter before. It sounds so good, and is all over I really need to make something with it. These cookies sound amazing!!!

Krisitn Morris — October 27, 2011 @ 10:20 am

17 DAY DIET WHO?!?!?!!?
    HOLY COW, These. Are. Uh-Mazing!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — October 27, 2011 @ 10:21 am

I love browned butter!! It is seriously the best ingredient, like, ever.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — October 27, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Thank you for #1! My husband and I disagree on which Ryan is hotter lol. :) And these cookies – uhm yum. Yes please to the cookies and back to #1.

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — October 27, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Seriously tough decision between brown butter and Ryan Gosling…although we’re thinking our chances are better with the butter…

Emily — October 27, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Yum! These look and sound amazing. I am printing the recipe for the next time I am ready to try a new cookie recipe.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — October 27, 2011 @ 10:29 am

You’re killing me with these! Whenever I open my reader to one of your tantalizing treats my mouth waters and my stomach grumbles. These look amazing. :)

Cookbook Queen — October 27, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Ugh, I want. So very badly.

And I was talking about #1, but hey, I’ll take a few of these cookies too!! ;)

I was the same way with Blizzards…but my Blizzard of choice was (is) Butterfinger.

Kristy @ Sweet Treats and More — October 27, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Holy crap I need to make these! Asap. And I totally agree with #1 and #3. Crazy Stupid Love? Please tell me you saw it!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — October 27, 2011 @ 10:52 am

omg these look decadent!!!! And I agree that Ryan Gosling is tantamount to these cookies. He is yummy, too ;)

Cookin' Cowgirl — October 27, 2011 @ 10:58 am

How about Ryan Gosling….sans shirt…..feeding me these cookies!

• Jessica — October 27th, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Even better.

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen — October 27, 2011 @ 11:03 am

If loving butter in all of it’s wonderful fatty forms is wrong then I don’t ever want to be right. Please tell me the dough is as delicious as I imagine it to be!

• Jessica — October 27th, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

The dough is freaking ridiculous.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — October 27, 2011 @ 11:05 am

Yes. Yes, that does make me happy! You are my hero. :)

Jennknee — October 27, 2011 @ 11:08 am

Do youuuuuu have a thing for Canadian boys? Ryan Gosling..Michael Buble….good choices..really good :D

Ummmmm I hate the fact that I live in a bachelor suite with NO oven. Because these cookies need to be in my mouth/belly today. Like…TODAY. aka…NOW!

Lady Lip Print — October 27, 2011 @ 11:08 am

haha my boyfriend and I were making those brown butter peach bars (Yum I want one right now) and once the butter was browned and melted he poured in into a glass and dared me to drink it, we have the same butter obsession, then he chickened out and wouldnt let me.

• Jessica — October 27th, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

LOL! Wow… that would have been dedication.

Eunice — October 27, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Brownnn butterrrrrr. The last time I tried to make brown butter I made a huge mess. I’m going to try again for these cookies. Also, I’m the opposite of those people that don’t like their food to touch. I have to mix everything on my plate into every forkful.

Melanie — October 27, 2011 @ 11:24 am

My dear invisible friend, Philosophy is now carrying a seasonal “Brown Butter Cookie” Shampoo. I can only imagine how wonderful that is. Especially when being applied by Ryan Gosling. Oh my.

• Melanie — October 27th, 2011 @ 11:28 am

or Ryan Reynolds…

• Jessica — October 27th, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

are.you.kidding.me?!!?

• Kelly — October 27th, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

oh.my.god.

brandi — October 27, 2011 @ 11:26 am

omg i LOVE Ryan Gosling! I’ve seen The Notebook 1 million times and will still watch it anytime it’s on tv. And by watch, I mean I drop everything I’m doing like I’ve never seen it before. Love love love him.

All I’ve been making lately is browned butter! cookies, blondies, everything.

it smells so good that i’ve come very close to trying it as body lotion. kinda wish i was kidding.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — October 27, 2011 @ 11:29 am

You’ve sold me. I agree though, nothing is better than #1. :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — October 27, 2011 @ 11:37 am

These look amazing!!!!

Katie — October 27, 2011 @ 11:52 am

Mmmmm Ryan Gosling with no shirt. And brown butter…you have impeccable taste, not that we didn’t all know that by your love of bacon, but still.

Moni'sMeals — October 27, 2011 @ 11:59 am

WHAT!

Am I happy now? umm Let me see…

These are some serious cookies. I am ust lost right now, haha! Booked marked.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — October 27, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Oh mannnnnn, I think these are gonna be my new favorite cookie. Heath candy is my favorite!

Laura — October 27, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Now you’ve gone and done it. Look at that monster of a cookie I have to make. And eat. And not regret eating a second. It had me at it’s buttery hello.

Ami @ parsnips and pears — October 27, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

you are evil. now ALL I can think about is these cookies and I need to make a serious trip to the store to get ingredients…. only I have a cranky teething child to drag with me! I will forgive you though because you let me visualize Ryan Gosling without a shirt…. mmm.

alex — October 27, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

I want a brown butter scented perfume.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — October 27, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I need to try this method of putting 2 pieces of dough together with delicious stuff shoved in between! God, these look good.

christina @ ovenadventures — October 27, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

ever since hearing you talk about brown butter I had to try it for myself. I cooked some up and it is literally sitting in my fridge waiting for me to use it. Now I know what I am using it for. The combo occurred to me of brown butter and chocolate and toffee but to STUFF them now that is pure genius or insanity. I’m not sure which but I like it!!!!!!!!

Katie — October 27, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

Are these the toffee cookies that Mr. How Sweet spit out? I think I would have eaten it out of the trash-can if I lived in your house. That’s how good these look.

EatLiveRun — October 27, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Ummmmmm I need these. Right now. In my belly.

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — October 27, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Brown butter makes me all kinds of nervous, kinda like Ryan Gosling but in a good way. Like you make me nervous cause I really really like you but I’m gonna be all weird and awkward cause I’ve worked myself up and I don’t know how else to act.

Yup, these cookies are making me feel all kinds of flustered.

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life — October 27, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

These cookies look so amazing! That last picutre has me drooling! I’ve never heard of brown butter until today! I’m curious to try this recipe out, although my baking items never turn out looking like yours!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — October 27, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

oh my goodness my mouth is drooling. both over ryan reynolds AND these cookies!

Kelly — October 27, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

I love that you used the two ball technique from your earlier cookies. It’s a small thing, but completely smart for when it comes to cookies. Though I have to say, and I love me some butter, I don’t know that I could drink brown butter with a straw! Might be too intense for me.

I love the idea of your cheddar crusted chicken. I’m not a chicken girl, but I am a cheese girl so this sounds yummy. I also happen to have some vermont cheddar powder that I bought while in vermont and have been thinking that would be fun in your dish.

Bev Weidner — October 27, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

My eyeballs just had an orgasm.

Sara @ Sara Says.. Bake. — October 27, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

I still have leftover toffee chips from making your Snickerdoodle cookies with toffee chips in them… so I have a feeling that these will be made sooner rather than later. Yum.

Kelly — October 27, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

I made browned butter toasted coconut chocolate chip cookies from Joy The Baker’s site two days ago and my coworkers raved…. looks like these are next on the list.

CouponClippingCook — October 27, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

omg…seriously, these cookies look amazing. I’m totally craving these now.

sarah k @ the pajama chef — October 27, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

oh man. i don’t even know what to do with myself. these look incredible!!!!