It’s fall!

Spiced Double Chocolate Chip Cake I howsweeteats.com

No, seriously… it’s fall now. I wait for this season the whole year long and while we all try to fake it on September 1st or whatever, then really try and fake it on September 21st (I think?) when it’s still 80 degrees outside, fall doesn’t really start until the air smells crisp and the leaves turn vibrant pinks and you bake a chocolate cake with cayenne pepper in it.

I swear.

Trust me, I’m just as anxious as you to bust out my Barry Manilow and N*SYNC Christmas albums but fall is meant to be savored, enjoyed and covered in chocolate.

And now I’m stuck wondering if I’m really 16 years old or 58 years old. I can never figure it out.

Spiced Double Chocolate Chip Cake I howsweeteats.com

Hmmm… by the way, that’s not some boring caramel blanketing this ring of chocolate. It’s a brown sugar glaze, which I have made four times in two weeks for four different recipes.

Okay, three different recipes.

I had to make a fourth batch because I ate too much of it off the spoon while waiting for a cake to cool. It is THAT GOOD. Yes, it warrants ALL CAPS. Best glaze I’ve had in, well… forever? You know I’m all about the glazes because adding more sugar to desserts is just the smart thing to do.

Spiced Double Chocolate Chip Cake I howsweeteats.com

Oooh but you’re just freaking out about this who cayenne thing, right? Do not fear.

It’s not just cayenne… there are a bunch of spices in there like cinnamon and ground cloves and nutmeg and all that jazz. It may sound incredibly atrocious but it’s really just tastes like a big old chocolate cake with a heavy handed shake of autumn sprinkled in.

Spiced Double Chocolate Chip Cake I howsweeteats.com

It’s not too sweet either.

That’s totally not my thing (ever), but it works sometimes. Plus, I gotta show some love for you crazies who don’t like your desserts so rich that they make your teeth ache.

See, I told you I loved you.

Spiced Double Chocolate Chip Cake I howsweeteats.com

Spiced Dark Chocolate Cake

[slightly adapted from food and wine]

makes one bundt cake (serves 8-10)

8 ounces milk chocolate, chopped

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

pinch of cayenne pepper

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with non-stick spray and set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and spices and mix with a spoon.

Melt chocolate in either a double boiler or a large microwave-safe bowl (I melt in 30 second increments) and let cool. Whisk in oil, sugar, vanilla and heavy cream until smooth, then whisk in egg. Add in half of the flour + cocoa mixture, then half of the coffee and buttermilk, mixing until just combined. Add in the remaining flour mixture and then the remaining coffee and buttermilk, stirring until smooth. Lightly toss chocolate chips with a spoonful of flour, then fold into batter. Pour into bundt pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out almost clean.

Let cool, then drizzle with glaze of your choice. I used a doubled recipe of this brown sugar glaze which was the perfect sweet accompaniment.

Spiced Double Chocolate Chip Cake I howsweeteats.com

Hurry up and eat your slice or else it’s mine.

123 Responses to “Spiced Double Chocolate Chip Cake.”

Eliana — October 11, 2011 @ 6:57 am

It’s spicy AND double chocolate? Where do I sign up for my thick slice? This looks amazing girl!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — October 11, 2011 @ 6:58 am

Stuck being 16 or 58….. I am that way every single day of my life, except it is more like 7 or 58. I fall even lower on the spectrum than you, Jessica. Oh well, I’ll just eat cake!

Baker Street — October 11, 2011 @ 7:00 am

Chocolate and cayenne! I have to try that combination. The cake looks fantastic! xx

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — October 11, 2011 @ 7:04 am

Oh my…. that caramel looks scrumptious!

I have NEVER had a spicey chocolate dessert.
    I need to try.

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — October 11, 2011 @ 7:05 am

You are a psychic genius! I was just looking for recipes to use my bundt pan for and now you have given me a great one! I’m running a fundraiser cake bake at work next Monday and this will make a great addition to the table.

And by the way, I just showed my husband your post from yesterday and he says that now he knows where I learn my tricks from with regards to getting him to eat food he doesn’t like!

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 11, 2011 @ 7:14 am

Why must you do this to me? I swear since I started reading your blog, my body has started to expand outwards. Everything you make looks so good! Now I want to make this!! Sigh….

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — October 11, 2011 @ 7:32 am

I am drooling while looking at these pictures! I wish I could have a slice of this along with my coffee his morning!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — October 11, 2011 @ 7:35 am

Stellar. And I love the sprinkles. Nice touch there at the end…but I am still caught up on that glaze. If you have made 4 batches of it in a week, it’s gotta be crazy good!

And 1 c of coffee in this cake..you don’t even like coffee (or so I thought) unless it was jazzed up really well. Then again, this cake is pretty jazzed up amazing looking :)

lisa — October 11, 2011 @ 7:43 am

WOW, I think I just developed diabetes from reading the recipe!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — October 11, 2011 @ 7:44 am

Oh sprinkles!! I’m with you on the N’Sync Christmas album…I love that one!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 11, 2011 @ 7:44 am

um, WOWZAH. and i’m so glad you like that glaze! it’s been too long since i’ve made it, but i can only imagine this is the perfect cake for it!

Blog is the New Black — October 11, 2011 @ 7:48 am

YUUUUUUUUUUM.

Kim in MD — October 11, 2011 @ 7:49 am

Oh my…that looks like heaven on a plate!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — October 11, 2011 @ 7:55 am

Wow. I could just jump through my screen right now and polish that morsel of goodness for you. No need to take my slice!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 11, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Oh yumm, this looks so dark and rich! I love the addition of all the warm fall-y spices too. I’ve never actually tried the chocolate and cayenne combo but now you’ve got me curious!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — October 11, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Looks amazing. Love the sprinkles!

Emily — October 11, 2011 @ 7:59 am

This post and the bundle before it have finally made me accept the notion that I need to start using Halloween sprinkles at every meal, starting now.

Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook — October 11, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Posts like this are the reason there are chocoholics :)

Clare — October 11, 2011 @ 8:02 am

Oooh this looks wonderful! I love those sprinkles!!

Gen — October 11, 2011 @ 8:04 am

That pretty much looks incredible!!!

katie @KatieDid — October 11, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Yep I’m one of those crazies that doesn’t like her teeth aching haha. I can’t get over how gorgeous these photos are- so incredibly crisp, sharp and bright… definitely a great day with your camera!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — October 11, 2011 @ 8:07 am

That cake looks amazing and glazes are generally underrated. I wish it felt like fall here- it was in the 80s the last couple days… just weird!

Grammy@gram-cracker.com/blog — October 11, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Ok you culinary girls are intriguing me with this chocolate/chili flavor combo, and by “you girls” I mean you and my culinary student daughter. She’s getting married in a week and one of the various cupcake flavors she chose was chocolate with a dark chocolate/chili filling. I’ll admit I am totally skeptical but curious enought to try one. If I don’t like it there are 3 other varieties I can eat! I’m bookmarking this recipe in case I decide it’s the best thing EVER!

• Jessica — October 11th, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

Oooh let me know how that tastes! Sounds good. :)

Kelly — October 11, 2011 @ 8:17 am

Looks amazing!!! Perfect for a Halloween party!

Katie — October 11, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Oh heck yes. You don’t even like cake…I know. SO, I can only assume you made this just for me. Well, thankyouverymuch. It looks like perfection!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — October 11, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Why do I always read your blog before I eat breakfast? Now if I don’t have chocolate cake for breakfast, I’m going to feel deprived the rest of the day. ;)

Patty H. — October 11, 2011 @ 8:28 am

This cake looks wonderful! Chocolate with a bit of heat is my new found love, so I’ll have to try this recipe out. The caramel looks so decadent, I can imagine eating it all before it makes it onto the cake!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — October 11, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Few things: 1. These photos are gorgeous! I’m a big fan of the drippy icing shots. 2. I was scratching my brain this morning trying to decide what sort of cake to next send my boyfriend (he’s deployed) because I didn’t want to do a repeat of what I last sent him (regular ol’ chocolate w a tub of funfetti on the side), and this would be perfect! 3. The *NSYNC Christmas album = my fav Christmas cd of all time.. followed up roughly by some of Britney’s holiday gems.

Heather — October 11, 2011 @ 8:38 am

That looks heavenly. My oldest would love that cake so much, he has turned into a chocoholic.

Molly @ RDexposed — October 11, 2011 @ 9:03 am

Balance the age confusion with crazy Mariah Carey’s Christmas album!

• Jessica — October 11th, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

Oh yeah… that one is SO good!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — October 11, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Seriously, you had us at chocolate, the cayenne’s not phasing us at all. We’d do pretty much anything you told us to. Plus that glaze?! Insane. INSANE!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — October 11, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Nummy! But the fall sprinkles are what *really* make this cake. ;)

Pure2raw twins — October 11, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Jessica you are killing us over here :) we have so many of your recipes bookmarked, now here goes another one!! love fall baking

Erica — October 11, 2011 @ 9:19 am

I think those sprinkles are so fun! Its so neat how you can add certain spices to chocolate and get such a unique flavor!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — October 11, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Jessica, OMG!! Chocolate, and double chocolate at that, spices AND coffee??!! Does this cake come with a warning label saying, “People should not work heavy machinery after eating or should not be eaten by pregnant or lactating women. Side effects may include swooning, development of a chocolate-spice obsession, and dancing around your kitchen with a fork.”

Bev Weidner — October 11, 2011 @ 9:28 am

I.

CAN’T.

MOVE.

Shannon — October 11, 2011 @ 9:32 am

I love N*SYNC Christmas. Cake looks delish.

sherri lynn @ life of a wife — October 11, 2011 @ 9:43 am

This looks amazing!!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — October 11, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Okay, can I just voice my equally unabashed love for the *NSYNC Christmas album? It is not truly the season until I jam to “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.”

Kcool.

• Jessica — October 11th, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

Ditto!

Liz — October 11, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Seriously! Everything you post I end up making. Thank you for your delicious recipes! My friends, co-workers and husband thank you.

• Jessica — October 11th, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

Thank you so much for reading!

Nicole — October 11, 2011 @ 9:49 am

You’re never too old to love boy bands :) I love cayenne pepper and chocolate! They work so well together

Cait's Plate — October 11, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Oh my. Once again it’s 9am and you’ve got me craving cake.

Mimi — October 11, 2011 @ 9:52 am

It looks scrumptions!! Don’t forget to remind your readers to vote for you in the Foodbuzz awards!!!! (I did!) :)

• Jessica — October 11th, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

Thanks Mimi!!

kathleen @ the daily crumb — October 11, 2011 @ 10:19 am

that glaze is fantastic!!

i am definitely adding this to my halloween party menu! by the way, the salmon and rolls were delicious last night :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — October 11, 2011 @ 10:46 am

This is so pretty!! And you’re killing me with that batter pic– I never thought about how much it would suck not to be able to taste (ie, consume massive amounts) of batter while pregnant!!

Caroline @ Pink Basil — October 11, 2011 @ 10:49 am

Oh man, is it wrong that I want to eat this for breakfast?

Jennknee — October 11, 2011 @ 11:07 am

You deserve a high five for this.
    so..*high five*….yeah. good work.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — October 11, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Okay, if you SAY it’s delicious without making my dentist cringe, I suppose I should try it to see if you’re fibbin’ or not. Research. ;-)

Shannon — October 11, 2011 @ 11:21 am

This sounds and looks DELICIOUS! I absolutely LOVE chocolate and cayenne together so this sounds like some I NEED to try!

Elizabeth L. — October 11, 2011 @ 11:29 am

*NSync’s Christmas album is the best. I had a debate with a friend on Twitter last week about which one was better: *NSync’s Christmas album or 98*’s? I went with *NSync’s (of course!) but she still defends her cause. :)

You know who else has a great Christmas album? Hanson. I’m serious. I might also be a closeted 13 year old girl instead of an almost-26 year old woman, but whatever. I’m off to listen to “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays”.

• Jessica — October 11th, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

Oh man… I was never a Hanson fan but…

1 2 3