True story: I have never eaten sweet potato pie.

Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting I

I’ve never even seen a sweet potato pie.

I’ve never been in the same room as a sweet potato pie.

I’ve never tried to make my own sweet potato pie.

I’ve never even looked at a recipe for sweet potato pie.

Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting I

The closest I’ve ever come to sweet potato pie is belting out James Taylor’s song (holy old school throwback vid) in my bathroom with the awesome echoing acoustics. Hairbrush = microphone, anyone??

But since I take pictures of my food and like to pretend that I know what I’m doing while giving all real chefs a bad name, I made sweet potato pie cupcakes.

Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting I

Annnnd I think I should be given a gold star for making a dessert with a vegetable. Progress!

Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting I

I’m really hoping one of you lovely fellows who have tasted sweet potato pie… or maybe those of you that are sweet potato pie connoisseurs… will make these cupcakes and tell me if I came anywhere close to sweet potato pie. I figure that sweet potato pie has sweet potatoes (duh), cinnamon, lots of sugar and then marshmallows? But I could totally be getting that screwed up with sweet potato casserole, in which case I just made a casserole cupcake. Which kind of sounds barfy.

These are anything but barfy, but I’m whiny and needy today and need reassurance.

Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting I

Because… you know, eating a half dozen cupcakes in two days is not assuring enough. Help.

Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting I

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff
3 cups of powdered sugar
1-2 teaspoons milk, if needed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with liners. In a small bowl, mix melted butter, sugar and graham cracker crumbs until moist, then press about 1/2-1 tablespoon of crumbs into the bottom of each liner.

In a large bowl, whisk egg and sugar together until combined and no lumps remain. Add in vanilla extract and butter, then whisk in sweet potato. Add in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, then add in milk and stir until combined and smooth. Drop about 1/4 cup of batter on top of each graham cracker crust. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until cupcakes are set and spring back at the touch. Let cool completely before frosting.

To make frosting: beat butter in the bowl of electric mixer until creamy. Add in fluff and beat for 2-3 minutes, then add in vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until fully incorporated. Once all the sugar has been added, beat on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes. If mixture if too runny, add a bit more sugar. If it’s too thick, add a bit of milk one teaspoon at a time. Frost cupcakes and drizzle with caramel sauce and crushed cinnamon pecans.

Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting I

I can’t wait to tell you about bread tomorrow.

244 Responses to “Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting.”

Emily — November 19, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

My mama makes a mean sweet potato pie with sweet potatoes, orange juice, pinaepple chunks, cherries, and marshmallows. It’s my favorite part about Thanksgiving.

Having said that, who cares what the hell these are called. They look delicious.

• betty dixon — May 12th, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

would like to have the rec foe the pie with pineapple and other thing sweet potato pie

• MT — January 18th, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

Me too, I also would like your mamas recipe for the pie with pineapple and cherries. Sounds wonderful!

loyer7 — November 19, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

I made these tonight…AMAZING!!!! I had leftover frosting, so I made some peanut butter cupcakes too. Fluffernutter!! YUM YUM!

Jill Fenn — November 19, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

The cupcakes were AMAZING. However, being severely allergic to milk, I decided to play around with the frosting. So, instead of butter, I used coconut oil (it was congealed, so I thought it’d work). BIG mistake; I knew it was bad when I was piping it out and my son told me not to put it on the rest of the cupcakes. I am kicking myself for wasting an entire JAR of FLUFF (that I bought in Waltham, MA while visiting my son). Any suggestions for making a marshmallow frosting that I can actually eat? Anyone try the Earth Balance spread for frosting?

• Tara Walls — November 22nd, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

Try crisco or veg shortning, that is how many buttercreams are made.

• April — December 2nd, 2011 @ 2:19 am

Jill Fenn, I’m vegan, and I use Earth Balance spread combined with Earth Balance shortening all the time to make frosting. It works really well.

• ABiteOfHeav'N — December 27th, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Earth Balance and Tofutti works well for vegan/dairy free frosting.

• Krystle Poulson — October 23rd, 2014 @ 12:41 am

Make Italian meringue with brown sugar. Boil your brown sugar (1 cup) with water (1/2 cup) until 250 degrees. Pour the boiled sugar mixture into whipping egg whites (1 cup) ( slow the mixer to med for this). Make sure you egg whites are at at least med peak stage be for adding simple syrup and add the syrup in a very small but steady stream and continue to whip until the side of your mixer bowl has come back to room temp. The brown sugar gives this meringue frosting a lovely mapley/ molasses taste which is even better if you toast the tops a bit with a kitchen torch or under the broiler for a min

Gabby — November 19, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

How much is 6 oz of sweet potato? Like, in cups? I don’t have a food scale.

• Jill Fenn — November 20th, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

3/4 cup

RobynR — November 20, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

You are clearly some sort of evil genius. I made these without the crust and decided to toast/brulee the frosting instead of using the caramel/pecan drizzle. SO. GOOD! Good enough in fact, that my mother in law insisted that I make them for Thanksgiving dinner . . . and she is usually not at all open to desserts that aren’t the same things that have hit the table for decades. Thank you!

Sam — November 20, 2011 @ 4:22 pm

Im so excited to try this recipe – are they actually sweet potatoes being used or yams?

Vicky — November 20, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

This may sound silly, but what’s the best way of making the mashed sweet potatoes? Boiled then mashed or baked then mashed? Is there even a difference? HELP! I’ve been volunteered by my mother in law to take dessert for Thanksgiving. I know this is the perfect recipe, but I don’t want to mess it up!

Thanks Jessica. You always post the best recipes and the most entertaining commentary. You had me hooked since you baked those red velvet cookie. (:

• Jessica — November 20th, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

Either is totally fine! Just depends on your preference. :)

• Ashley — November 22nd, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

either is fine, but I’ve found that baking them preserves their natural color and flavor better than boiling. just like broccoli you can boil the flavor and color out if you’re not careful. good luck!!!

• Vicky — November 27th, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

Thank you ladies! This was such a HUGE hit at our Thanksgiving lunch!!! Not waiting until next year to make these again. (:

Cake guru — November 21, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

These are wonderful!!thank u!

Ashley — November 22, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I love this recipe!!! bbuuuttt i have a wonderful shortcut!!!!! every one loves time savers. Also, just a suggestion biscoff cookies (the one the airline gives you) are perfect for making crusts. no need to add cinnamon, sugar, or anything they are already to go just ground ’em up!!! and use them as a sprinkle on top of the frosting too!! awesome recipe! love this site!

• Shannon — November 21st, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

There is one problem (for me) with using Biscoff cookies as the crust. I will eat the ENTIRE package before grinding even ONE of them up!! I don’t know what it is about those, but I have NO self control. Lol.

Savannah — November 23, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

Making them right now. The bater was delicious! And I hate sweet potatoes! Can’t wait to taste tomorrow!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — November 23, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

Your cupcakes come out so perfect – mine are usually concave.

Jolene ( — November 25, 2011 @ 12:55 am

I have never had sweet potato pie either, but now I don’t want to. I want those cupcakes instead!

Joyce — November 25, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

I made these last night for Thanksgiving and they were a huge hit! I think that I will add more sweet potatoes next time though.

• ABiteOfHeav'N — December 27th, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

These cupcakes are a definite HIT!!! I increased the amount of sweet potatoes I use and some of the other ingredients as well and they were extremely moist and utterly delish!!!

• Kristen Santucci — September 2nd, 2012 @ 3:00 pm

How much sweet potatoes did you end up using…I was going to increase to 1c but I didn’t want to ruin the batter.

Maria — November 28, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

I made these for Thanksgiving, and they were a HUGE hit!!! Even those that don’t go for desserts often or seemed skeptical loved them :-) I will definitely make them again!

Tara Walls — November 28, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

Made a double batch of these tonight for work tomorrow. Sure glad I made extra!!! Yummy!

KARA — November 29, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Lauren — December 12, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

Best Cupcake I have ever had! I doubled the spices and added a little ginger. The frosting was a little too sweet for me, next time I will use half. Thanks for posting!!!

sharon — May 6, 2012 @ 11:40 pm

Doing a bake sale gonna use these they r so gud they will b a hit that’s some much

sharon — May 6, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

meant to say thanks so much for this great idea.. something different

Traci — May 14, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

I’m making these for my daughter’s first birthday. She loves the Gerber Sweet Potatos in the jar. We’ll see what she thinks of these!

La fourmi ele — July 18, 2012 @ 1:58 am

They are wonderful think i Will try them !

deb wildey — September 2, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

how can i print recipe with out all the pics

Kristen — September 2, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

For those who have made this and increased sweet potato amount…how much did you increase it to? Was batter still okay and not too runny?

ScootyLoos — September 23, 2012 @ 11:00 pm

These sounded so delicious I had to make them the same night!! My daughter loves anything sweet potato so I am very excited for her to try them. So far the batter is fantastic, but I also added to the spices.

Nicole — October 11, 2012 @ 9:30 am

I made these vegan (and w/o frosting). They got rave reviews (and people ate more than one!). One of my friends said they tasted exactly like the pumpkin muffins she grew up with. (“tastes like home” is the best compliment, isn’t it?) While I normally don’t like sweet potato pie, I do love sweet potato cake! Thank you for a delicious treat! This recipe is a keeper.

• Amarachi — November 7th, 2012 @ 10:09 am

Hey Nicole. May i ask how your made the cupcakes vegan? I really want to make them for my brother, he’s vegan.

MT — January 18, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

Oh my gosh! You are sooooo naughty to come up with this recipe. Take marshmallow fluff, and add 3 cups sugar? Double naughty! Oh, and I’m gonna make ’em too. Naughty is contagious.

Rachel Bruce — May 10, 2014 @ 10:14 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I used it in entering a competition (no cash or other large prize or I would gave sought permission) and won first place in the Most Unusual
    Ingredient category. I also got many many compliments on its flavor.

Torahyah — September 10, 2014 @ 8:57 pm

Oh my goodness!!!! I just made these. I had been searching for a recipe for my son’s first birthday…. THIS IS SOOO IT! Finally my search is over :-) the cupcakes are spectacularly moist. I did add an extra 1/4c of sweets, maybe that did it? I also alternated when adding the Milk and flour blend to the cupcake recipe so it would not weight down the batter. I’m not certain if this step was necessary but it worked for me. The frosting was a bit too sweet for my taste so I added half the powdered sugar and it was perfect. I am running some tests now…. I have a cupcake (unfrosted) in the freezer, and one frosted and one unfrosted cupcake in the refridgerater to see how they hold up. I would like to make these ahead so I don’t have so much to do on the day of. I will let you know how it turns our. Thank you, thank you sooo very much :-)

• ST — April 13th, 2015 @ 2:42 am

Whatever happened to your stored cupcakes? I would like to make these several days in advance and am wondering what the best way to store them would be.

lezzetliyemeklerperisi — October 20, 2014 @ 4:39 am

Aamber — October 8, 2015 @ 7:18 pm

I made these today. They are so delicious. I used pecan shortbread cookies as the crust instead of the graham crackers. The pecan adds a little something extra. They taste a bit like carrot cake, but different enough to make my boyfriend ask “what’s that flavor?” They are hit with my coworkers, too. I’m definitely making these for thanksgiving. Thanks for the recipe.

1. Pingback: Whatcha Reading Weekend: Take 7 | Confessions of a (Not-So) Domesticated Newlywed

2. Pingback: Healthy Chicks » Blog Archive » I’m Back & Friday Favorites

3. Pingback: It’s not as simple as pie | Southern Soiree

4. Pingback: I’m Back & Friday Favorites

5. Pingback: Ten on Tuesday No.27 « Teacher Girl Blogs

6. Pingback: [Pinterest]: Thanksgiving Inspiration « Midwestern Belle

7. Pingback: This Week’s Delish!

8. Pingback: Christmas Baking Week! « The Grocery Project

9. Pingback: Recipe Round Up | 30 Thanksgiving Recipes and Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes

10. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugared Chip Frosting | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugared Chip … | Chocolate

12. Pingback: notjustacupcake

13. Pingback: Roasted Banana Cupcakes with Fluff Frosting | Mis-Cakes Oven Adventures

14. Pingback: Knowledge Explosion! « theepiccupcakeproject

15. Pingback: Knowledge Explosion! | Castles in the Sky

16. Pingback: No-Bake Sweet Potato Cheesecakes | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: No-Bake Sweet Potato Cheesecakes. | Lifestyle Pins

18. Pingback: Thanksgiving Menu Ideas: 30 Thanksgiving Desserts

19. Pingback: Thanksgiving Desserts

20. Pingback: Ice-Cream Cone Cupcakes | Selfish Cooking

21. Pingback: PinLaVie... Make your pins come true – Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting

22. Pingback: 10 Most unique and creative cupcakes |

23. Pingback: 5 Healthy Cupcake Ideas | Totally Cupcake Blog

24. Pingback: Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting | Food Art

25. Pingback: Fall Favorites | soundZtastee

26. Pingback: Ready for Fall | Dreaming Pencils

27. Pingback: Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting | Home Chef de Cuisine

28. Pingback: S’mores cupcakes | "Sweet like candy to my soul..."

29. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In October - |

30. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In October | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

31. Pingback: 24 Swoon-Worthy Desserts You Should Make This Holiday Season | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

32. Pingback: 33 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Sweet Potatoes | SaltyPepper

33. Pingback: 33 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Sweet Potatoes | c7c World

34. Pingback: 33 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Sweet Potatoes |

35. Pingback: 33 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Sweet Potatoes »

36. Pingback: 10月に料理する31のうまいもの | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見!

37. Pingback: The Sweet Potato Pie Lyrics | News Update - Today

38. Pingback: Sweet Potato Pie Lyrics | Inscripto

39. Pingback: 24 Swoon-Worthy Desserts You Should Make This Holiday Season - All Foods Drinks

40. Pingback: 33 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Sweet Potatoes - All Foods Drinks

41. Pingback: 5 Cupcake Recipes To Swoon Ever | xtraxtralex

42. Pingback: 33 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Sweet Potatoes - Life Style News - Life Style News

43. Pingback: S’more Cupcakes | Confectionary Tales of a Bakeaholic