Little bit of a mouthful there.

But it’s like a cookie on top of another cookie!

Yeah. Like total dirty cookie on cookie action.

Except these ones down below wanted to try a few different positions.

I dunno… they’re all mixed up.

In order to solve a common I-want-a-chocolate-CHOCOLATE-cookie-but-he-wants-a-plain-chocolate chip-cookie dilemma that happens like, every single weekend here… I made both. On top of each other.

Some of them smashed up against each other while others sat on top of each other but in the end, they all tasted… fantabulous. Whichever way the ended up together. Best of both worlds. Literally.

And then they tasted extra delicious after I spent two hours cleaning out the contents of our bar (take that as you will), after he spent three hours organizing the pantry (that was weird) and after we both needed to severely eat our emotions immediately post-Boardwalk Empire finale.

WHAT was that. ???????

Why???

Then I tried to dunk a cookie in milk and failed.

I need cookie dunking lessons, a redo on season 2 (thanks HBO), and a salad. Yeah… that would probably be a good idea.

Brown Butter Double Fudge Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cookies

[from giant rainbow cookies]

makes 24 cookies

**You have two options here to make the dough. You can make two separate half batches of the recipe below in two different bowls (recommended if you don’t have a kitchen scale). Or, you can make the dough as calls for through adding the egg and vanilla extract. Then use a kitchen scale, measure it in grams, put an equal amount in each bowl, then make chocolate chip in one bowl and double fudge chip in the other. The latter is what I did and how I’m writing the recipe.**

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of unsalted butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and add butter. Whisk constantly until brown bits appear on the bottom (about 5 minutes), then remove and let cool completely. Once cool, add to a large bowl with sugars and whisk until completely smooth. Add in egg and egg yolk, whisking until combined, then add in vanilla.

Separate the dough into two doughs: Place an empty bowl on a kitchen scale measuring in grams, then pour the sugar mixture into the bowl, scraping all of it out. Note the weight in grams. Remove the full bowl from the scale, and place the bowl that previously held the butter/sugar mixture on the scale (taring it to 0). Add half of the butter/sugar mixture into the bowl – so each bowl has an equal amount of dough.

In one bowl, add 1 cup of flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and a pinch of salt, then mix until a dough forms, using your hands if necessary. Fold in half of the chocolate chips. Set aside.

In the second bowl, add remaining flour and baking soda, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt, mixing until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips.

Roll each dough into 12 balls (about an inch thick) so you end up with 24. As demonstrated in the rainbow cookies, pull each ball apart. Take one chocolate chip half and one double fudge half, placing the round ends together with the rough edges out like in the second picture. Place dough rough-side down on a non-stick baking sheet about 1 1/2-2 inches apart.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are a little soft in the middle and golden on the edges. Let cool completely.

Double lovin’ cookies. I like it.

227 Responses to “Brown Butter Double Fudge Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cookies.”

Happily Ever After — December 12, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Yes, this is the best of both worlds, and I have a sweet tooth this morning. Yay!

Allyssa — December 12, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

I’m speechless! These look unbelievably amazing!

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — December 12, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

What the what? I’ll take 14 thousand please.

Cassie @ bake your day — December 12, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

I’m in complete awe of these. Want, want, want! I love this recipe that you used…I use it all the time for chocolate chip cookies and I love how you keep adapting it for various kinds!

Zesty Cook — December 12, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

A mouthful, both in name and in the literal sense! A mouthful of these would make the holiday season so delicious! It’s kind of like a “double decker” cookie—love it!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — December 12, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

That poor cookie that drowned in the milk (haha!) These pics are a huge tease right now!

Katie — December 12, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

A black and white cookie with a twist! Or something. These look like I need them.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — December 12, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

I wish I had these after the Once Upon A Time midseason finale. These look perfect!

Emmy (Wine and Butter) — December 12, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

wowsa. this is basically as cool as when Ben and Jerrys brought out that ‘twisted half baked stuff’ (which sounds a bit more totally drug reference than I think the actual flavour name does!?!). Yum, yum, yum!

TB — December 12, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

yes! Perfect! these were def. needed after that finale! Can’t wait until Tuesday…

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats — December 12, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

This is perfect for me since I can be so indecisive!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — December 12, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

WELL. I was going to make another one of your recipes for a blogger gift exchange buuuuut I think this one wins!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 12, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

You’re crazy in a totally awesome way. I love it. :)

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — December 12, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Just when you think it can’t get any more sinful…. Genius idea!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — December 12, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Holy chocolate goodness. I’m speechless.

Tawny — December 12, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

I am still in shock over the finale of Boardwalk Empire. Why Nucky? Why?

• Jeri Bills — December 13th, 2011 @ 11:08 am

Cookies look good, but I want to talk more about Boardwalk, too. We can’t believe that everyone is not watching this show. What was that with Jimmy?? And his poor little boy, being raised by his perve Grandma. And as my husband said, Wasn’t it ELI’S idea to kill him?? Well, I feel better, venting to ya’all.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

Agreed on all fronts. I’m heartbroken! I’ve been saying all year that I thought Jimmy would die, but I didn’t think it would be until the last season or so – like a Sopranos sort of thing. Bummer.

Jocelyn — December 12, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Sorry a little late on the commenting, but on the That Chicken Pizza– that looks amazing. If you have a great pad thai recipe, could you please share it?! I have been searching for one since the dawn of time. Or whenever.

• Stephanie — December 12th, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

i’d second this. i <3 pad thai

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — December 12, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

It never fails to amaze me how you come up with these things. How sinfully divine!

christina @ ovenadventures — December 12, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

seriously! are you kidding me? i gotta go get me some stretchy pants on and make these quick before my other half gets home. he doesn’t need to know about these.

Trinity — December 12, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I am featuring this recipe and giving you a shout out on my blog tomorrow =) thanks for the wonderful recipes…..well…my pants aren’t thanking you because they were straining enough as it was….=)

Jen Marie — December 12, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

Hmmm. This looks just about perfect. Perfect would be in my kitchen, hot, making the house smell like heaven.

I think I need perfect tonight.

Ang — December 12, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

Those cookies look like perfection!

I just had to comment about Boardwalk. Seriously I was devastated! I guess I have to hand it to HBO on the surprise ending there. Didn’t see that coming.

Jessica — December 12, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

I’ll bring you that salad if you give me some of these cookies!!

Kimberly (unrivaledkitch) — December 12, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

these are fantastic. So much genius in a little edible package. Yum thanks for sharing!

honeywhatscooking — December 12, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

oooh… that looks delicious! yum.
    i love cookie dough

Ana_ILTdP — December 12, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

Hola!
    Oh, my…
    This a great idea… I just don’t know if I will feel guilty after cooking them :P

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — December 12, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

I love what you called these. Ahh I want to try one please!

Holli — December 12, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

Holy Moley!!! These look incredible!!!

BTW, I made your Fat, Fluffy Snickerdoodle Cookies this past weekend….perfect!

shelly (cookies and cups) — December 12, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

Are you trying to kill me? This might be the best invention of the week!

Clare @ SweetnSimple — December 12, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

Umm.. yes please!? Amaaazing :)

Melissa D — December 12, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Must. Make. These.

Now.

PS. You had me at “brown butter”. Add “double fudge” and “chocolate chip cookie dough” and you put me right over the edge.

nicole {sweet peony} — December 12, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

dude. duuuuude. i don’t really have any other words right now.

oh. maybe i love you. like a lot.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 12, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

I think I’ve said it before… why are you so freakin’ awesome?

Amanda N — December 12, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

These cookies look delicious! I think I will have to make them for Christmas!!

Although super side note question….I use silpat’s as well when I make my cookies. The directions say to wipe clean with a wet cloth and do not use soap. However, I find mine to be terribly greasy….and really want to use soap on them. No one else I know uses them…so any insight? Do you use soap or leave them greasy? Or do only mine end up greasy?

• Jessica — December 12th, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

So funny you mentioned that! I actually was going to tweet about it because I have no idea. What I have been doing is wetting a paper towel, wiping it down, then drying it with a dry paper towel. I have no idea how else to clean it, but mine is really greasy too! Any help from anyone would be appreciated!

• Amanda N — December 13th, 2011 @ 8:38 am

I like to think of it like a pizza stone….a little bit of the last cookie grease only makes the next cookie batch better right? But I would really like to clean it if possible.

Kelly — December 12, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

You always best yourself…it’s amazing!

A Bowl Of Mush — December 12, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

Such a great idea! The cookies look so amazing!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — December 12, 2011 @ 10:40 pm

This looks amazing! I want to make a version with some peanut butter cookie dough thrown in there!

Alison — December 12, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

Just made these!! My coworkers are in for a great tomorrow!!! I think this will be my new go to recipe!! Thanks!!!

CouponClippingCook — December 13, 2011 @ 2:31 am

wow, these look sooo good. Such a great idea! the pictures look so delish. love the combination of flavors. Shoot….now I’m craving these….

Melinda — December 13, 2011 @ 5:24 am

Yum! I haven’t commented here in a while, but I have been reading periodically. Everything always looks so good. We are in Japan now, so just getting settled in and learning about the traditional cuisine and tasty treats. Hope you had a nice weekend.

Stephke — December 13, 2011 @ 7:10 am

This is just amazing! The idea is great!!!!

brandi — December 13, 2011 @ 10:46 am

i totally just had a huge work breakfast meal and STILL want some of these, they look so good.

Thao @ Snapshots of Happiness — December 13, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

OMG. These look sooooooooooooooo amazing. Double the fun with two different cookies!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 13, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Those cookies are incredible!!!! I have never had brown butter … let alone in a cookie! I will be making these for sure!!! Cookies are my favourite.

Gail — December 13, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

These.Are.AMAZING!
    Love,love,love the rip ‘em apart technique with these and the M&M’S cookies. They bake up just PERFECT. So yummy.

Amber @ Amber's Confections — December 13, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Wow these look so good! Best of both worlds!

Jillian @ NewlyBread — December 13, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

Wow. Just the name is incredible. Making these asap!

Megan Clark — December 13, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

I just HAD to make these last night and WOW!!! They looked just like the picture and were fairly easy to make. I’ve always been good at guestimating amounts to halve and double recipes. Unfortunately I should have doubled the batch because my boyfriend devoured them within 10 mintues!

lisa — December 13, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

I’m with ya on the chocolate consolation, especially after that ending. I was dumbfounded and sad.

Kristin — December 16, 2011 @ 3:37 am

These are AMAZING! When I saw this post, I had to change my plans for my work cookie exchange and try these and it was so worth it! Then I had to make another batch tonight to share with others at work and for my daughter’s teacher.

They need a shorter name though. I’m going with Double Action Cookies in reference to your description of them. Thanks again!!!