Lookie here… I made you a snack!

And it’s on 100% whole wheat flatbread, because, uh… someone went through a 25-pound bag of all-purpose flour in record time while baking cookies.

K, not allll of it was used for cookies… some was used for stuff like pizza crusts and… rouxs and what not, and it was most likely purchased in the early autumn, but still… I should have just make this darn flatbread out of crushed cookies because Lord knows I have enough.

Of course I’ve been to the store like six times this week already and every single time I’ve forgot the stupid flour. My laziness was at an all time high yesterday when I was still in the parking lot of the grocery store, one foot in the car and the other on the ground, thinking, “crap! I forgot the flour AGAIN.”

Then instead of running back in and buying some while I stood a mere sprint away, I got in my little car and played my little radio and drove my little self right back home. Whyyyyyy? I figured I’d have to make do with what was shoved in my “pantry.” Otherwise known as the corner of my family room floor. Not joking.

I usually like my crusts best when made with a 50/50 mix of whole wheat pastry flour and all-purpose – they stay fluffy and crisp but have a bit of texture and chewy grain, which I just adore. I’m such a texture person it’s DISGUSTING.

So I was pleasantly surprised (after I was unpleasantly angry from burning the crap out of my mouth) when the first bite tasted like crispy, cheesy crackers, just piled with tons of flavor on top. I can do cheese.

You should definitely do one of four things:

1. Make this for New Years… triple batch please.

2. Make this for dinner next week. It’s healthy… duh!

3. Make this for me. I’m hungry.

4. Get really drunk and make this at 4am. I bet it would taste soooo good then.

Deal?

Great. That’s why I love you.

Whole Wheat BBQ Shrimp Flatbreads

[bread slightly adapted from gourmet]

serves 2+, is easily multiplied for appetizers

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup olive oil + more for brushing

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup BBQ sauce

2 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated

2 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated

1/2 pound raw + deveined shrimp (I used large pieces and cut them in half)

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 small red onion, chopped

1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped

2 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

cilantro + scallions for topping

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a bowl, mix shrimp with onion powder and paprika.

In a bowl, combine flours, salt, pepper and baking powder, and mix until combined. Add water and olive oil, then mix until a dough forms – I used my hands to bring it together. Place dough on a lightly floured workspace, then roll it is a very thin (rustic) rectangle. Place it on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, until it just begins to crisp.

Remove bread from oven and brush with a bit of olive oil. Spoon on 2-3 tablespoons of BBQ sauce, then add on garlic, mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Add shrimp, onion and pepper, then top with crumbled gorgonzola and the remaining BBQ sauce.

Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and the outside edges of the bread is golden. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes, then top with cilantro and scallions.

Note: you can easily use all-purpose flour (or a 50/50 mix) for the bread!

You know what you should finish this off with? BROWN BUTTER ICE CREAM. Yes. I know.

76 Responses to “Whole Wheat BBQ Shrimp Flatbreads.”

kaceyt @ om&nom — December 30, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

this is a definite must try b/c i absolutely loved your bbq shrimp quesadillas (much to my surprise)!

Culinary Collage — December 30, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

I love that you used whole wheat for the flatbread. I try to use whole wheat in my recipes whenever possible.

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — December 30, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

Oh that looks so good!

By the way, hope you had a great Christmas. And Happy New Year! :-)

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — December 30, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

Ok, I have to say that even though I don’t like shrimp, that flatbread still looks REALLY good. I think I’ll have to substitute the chicken I have in my freezer.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Jessica and all the blessings for a very safe and happy New Year!!

The Icon Concierge — December 31, 2011 @ 5:22 am

OMG this looks so yummy! I am going to try to replicate it, but with chicken instead of shrimp (sorry!). My hubby saw this pic and started drooling!

marla {family fresh cooking} — December 31, 2011 @ 6:43 am

I wish this flatbread could follow me everywhere! Looks amazing & Happy New Year!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats — December 31, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

That pizza looks insanely delicious!!! I love thin crusted pizzas

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — January 1, 2012 @ 10:22 am

mmmm this has all my favorite things…. gorgonzola, shrimp, bbq sauce…! i looove bbq sauce on pizza! what a yummy recipe!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — January 1, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

That flat bread is looking so good!

Sharon — January 1, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Made this for dinner tonight~spectacular! Even better, it received high accolades from my husband :)

Cookin' Canuck — January 6, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

I am making these this weekend! I love that they are on a whole wheat crust – good thing you forgot to pick up that flour.

Christine — January 11, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

Made this tonight – so good! I actually made a couple of changes to use what I had on hand. Instead of shrimp I used some leftover barbecued pulled pork. My whole family really enjoyed it and we plan to make it again and again! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Jo — February 20, 2013 @ 12:38 am

I made this for dinner using 50/50 all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. It turned out really well! Thanks for the recipe.

Eric — July 31, 2013 @ 8:47 am

stumbled on this and made it tonight, amazing!

1. Pingback: Whole Wheat BBQ Shrimp Flatbreads | How Sweet It Is | Bluegrass Online Business Network

2. Pingback: Friday Flatbread « It's me, Charlotte!

3. Pingback: wellyeahmakeme | Pearltrees