Cake

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugared Chip Frosting I howsweeteats.com

fo’

life.

Wish I could say more but… am at a complete loss for words on this little Friday here. The only thing I want to do is smash my entire body into a some oatmeal cupcake pillows. And build myself a house of epic proportions, made of cinnamon sugar chip frosting.

And peanut butter.

Then eat myself out of house and home.

Literally.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cupcakes

[adapted from my sweet potato pie cupcakes]

makes 12 cupcakes

1 large egg

3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons milk

1/2 cup chocolate chips, tossed in a sprinkle of flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with liners.

In a large bowl, whisk egg and sugar together until combined and no lumps remain. Add in vanilla extract and butter, whisking until smooth. Add in flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon then add in milk and stir until combined and smooth. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter into each liner. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until cupcakes are set and spring back at the touch. Let cool completely before frosting.

Cinnamon Sugared Chocolate Chip Frosting

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened

2 cups powdered sugar

1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon of milk, if needed

1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Beat butter in the bowl of an electric mixture until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase mixer speed and add brown sugar and vanilla, then beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl. If frosting is too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached If it’s too thin, add sugar gradually until it thickens. Fold in chocolate chips, then frost cupcakes. Extra frosting can be stored in the freezer for about 6 weeks.

The end.

183 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugared Chip Frosting.”

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — January 20, 2012 @ 9:34 pm

That frosting looks insane. WANT.

Sarah — January 20, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

the icing ALONE looks INTENSE! wannnttttt.. feeeed me!

Living The Sweet Life — January 20, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

…. yea – - im sort of (completely) in love with this recipe. This needs to happen asap!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 21, 2012 @ 12:10 am

These look freaking amazing!!

Ann — January 21, 2012 @ 12:54 am

Wow – everything looks amazing…as do your photos!

Deborah — January 21, 2012 @ 1:26 am

That frosting – oh, that frosting!!!

Corrie — January 21, 2012 @ 2:01 am

I really appreciate how you post a recipe, EVERY DAY! It gives me something to look forward to on my lunch break at work:) This looks wonderful!

Ivy — January 21, 2012 @ 7:41 am

your words are like poetry

Michelle@AHealthyMrs — January 21, 2012 @ 10:25 am

Oh. my. goodness.
    These cupcakes look heavenly! I hope in my heaven the clouds are made of this frosting….. :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — January 21, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

I made these last night and they turned out amazing. Everyone loved them! They’re also crazy easy to make, which is dangerous because I’m already planning on making them again soon!!

Katie @ OhShineOn — January 21, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

Rolled oats in cupcakes? This is definitely healthy. Meaning I can have two or three and feel good about my day.

Megan — January 21, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

Just made these! The icing came out really soft though so I’m going to add more sugar next time. Can’t wait to try them tonight!

• Megan — January 22nd, 2012 @ 1:58 am

And the verdict is…the icing is delicious, really light and soft and not too too sweet but my cupcakes came out more like muffins, which I was kind of expecting what with the oatmeal and everything, but they were kinda dense and hard :( the overall flavour wasn’t bad but definitely not my favourite recipe unfortunately.

• Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner — February 3rd, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

Mine came out more like muffins as well… more dense. I was trying to figure out what I did wrong too… I didn’t over mix or anything. Jessica, is there any way to avoid this and get them more cupcake-like?!
        PS: I still really enjoyed them as did the rest of the fam!!

Jordan — January 21, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

That icing is seriously reminiscient of the concoction Jenny whips up for Oliver (Oliver & Company). I always thought that it looked delectable (despite her version being made up of raw eggs and kibble, from what I remember); here’s my chance to try it!

Lauren — January 21, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

I just want to eat that frosting with a spoon. Or my finger.

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — January 21, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

you serious right now???? hot damn, this is genius!

Sara — January 22, 2012 @ 3:02 am

these are LITERALLY an exact cupcake replica of my favorite ben & jerry’s ice cream: oatmeal cookie chunk. thank you, thank you, thank you, for allowing me to consume my favorite flavors in a form other than ice cream. yummm!!! can’t wait to make these tomorrow!

Linda — January 22, 2012 @ 6:13 am

I too love that you post recipes everyday….so excited to see what’s posted next….again love your humor…it’s always a major plus! Need to run to the store and get some buttah!!

Jessica — January 22, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Oh my goodness… Made these yesterday afternoon and before I could even put the ingredients up, my husband had had 2 and asked for another batch, which I easily gave in to! The recipe only made about 10 cupcakes for me, but I like the smaller batches for my family of 3. It was super easy to double (which I did the second time around)! Definitely a keeper!

CouponClippingCook — January 22, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

wow, the texture of this frosting looks so good. and the combination of flavors in this cupcake sounds delicious.

Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth — January 22, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

Um yum. Love this version of my favorite cookie packed into a cupcake. And the frosting looks divine!

Chloe — January 22, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

I just tried this recipe and (accidently) forgot the milk! (oops) But it turned out yummy! Thanks so much for sharing! it was so easy and delicious! two thumbs up!!

Bec — January 22, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

Love your recipes and site, but it would be great if each post STARTED with a nice pic of the FINISHED product – sometimes when I log on, the first photos of the post are a bit unappetizing and don’t really encourage reading on … Just a thought.

Mimi — January 23, 2012 @ 11:56 am

I’d like to use that frosting as a moisturizer…..seriously!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — January 23, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

My mom made me these for my birthday yesterday! They didn’t look like yours but they were so heavenly, I wish I had one right now!

Kristina — January 23, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

yum! I just fell in love with this recipe! Your frosting looks delicious :) I love the cinnamon with the chocolate!

lydia — January 23, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

Is it okay that I make these for myself on my bday? Kthanks.

Also, can I have a pintrest invite? You totally have me hoooooked!

Crickle — January 24, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

Where did you get your super cool scooper thinger? I use the OXO scoops and sometimes, depending on the batter they’re just a pain to clean because stuff gets stuck behind the sweeper thing, and the idea of old crusty what-ever-I-cooked-last-which-possibly-could-have-been-meatballs getting into my cupcakes or cupcakes into my meatballs can skeeve me out. I realize I should probably just have two separate scoops for each particular reason, and that I’ve turned this into a ramble. But that’s what I do. Sorry.

otehlia cassidy — January 24, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Yum, I love the look of that frosting! So decadent!

Rachel — January 25, 2012 @ 12:06 am

No joke, this is the best thing I’ve ever tasted. You are my idol!! Making the roasted blueberry cupcakes with chocolate cream frosting tomorrow.

Jaclyn — January 26, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Wow this seriously looks amazing!! Cinnamon sugared chip frosting sounds simply irresistible. You have to submit it to the Celebrations Cupcake Crown competition! http://www.celebrations.com/cupcakecrown

Olivia — January 27, 2012 @ 11:48 am

I’ve been drooling over these for weeks and cannot wait to make them once pay day happens today and I can restock my pantry. But I am curious, did you use light or dark brown sugar? Or does it not particularly matter in this case?

Javelin Warrior — January 27, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

These cupcakes look awesome! I feel compelled to feature you in my Friday Food Fetish roundup and on Pinterest. Let me know if you have any objections and keep the amazing food coming…

Susan Swanson — January 29, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

A family member brought these to our house. They are so delicious that I had to get the recipe. They tasted even better the next day right out of the refrigerator with the frosting more solidified.

stella — January 31, 2012 @ 3:05 am

I tried this recipe and it’s absolutely wonderful! Tastes amazing and easy to make.

Christina A — February 1, 2012 @ 11:06 am

Made these last weekend! Delish! Husband devoured (of course)

They weren’t as cake-y more like a brownie consistancy (prob not describing it well). Whatever though, they were great.

Could eat the icing out of the bowl!

Naomi — February 12, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

Do you think I could make this into a bar dessert and bake into a 9×13 instead and then frost? Any idea the baking time?

Lily — March 19, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

Literally everyone LOVES these cupcakes!! You are a goddess actually- these cupcakes well changed my life you have no idea!!

Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} — April 30, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Just wanted to let you know I made these cupcakes for work and both myself and my co-workers LOVED them! I absolutely love anything oatmeal and the frosting was so unique! I included my link if you wanted to check it out, thanks again for the fantastic recipe!

Kenzie — May 20, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Oh!! Give me a spoon and I’ll eat that frosting!!!! love it!!

Taylor — July 8, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

Made these last night – taste just as amazing as they look! Frosting was WAY more than I needed, but I’m not complaining :)

Jess @ OnSugarMountain — August 7, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Just made these for my 100th blog post today !! They were absolutely to-die-for. :D I’ve got my eye on those Banana Bread Brownie cupcakes too <3 yum,

adina conn — August 7, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

Looks great!!

Jessica — January 27, 2013 @ 9:17 am

These look amazing, so many of your recipes do! I recently found your site and have to admit…I’m addicted!

Kristen A — March 9, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

I’ve made these twice and both times the middles caved in … what am i doing wrong?

haili — April 24, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

So I just made these last night and they didn’t come out too great and I have no idea why. For some reason the batter was really thick, like peanut butter consistency, which I thought was weird so I added more milk but it wasn’t really helping so I just figured I’d put them in and see what happens.
    I had them in for 15 minutes and checked them and noticed they weren’t getting fluffy and the insides were caving in. I left them in like 5 minutes longer to see if they would fluff up but they didn’t change. They ended up getting kind of hard and dry once they cooled off. The flavor isn’t bad, just wish they were more fluffy and moist.

Also one stick of butter was plenty enough for the frosting haha..
    Yours look like they came out amazing though!

Kristie — September 27, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

We love these! They re more muffin like but I love that thy can come of ether in one bowl and my kids can help. I am to a ig fan of the frosting but that is a personal preference, so we eat them as a “healthy” muffin for breakfast. Thanks!

Gina — October 15, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

How do you get the icing so white?! Mines always a yucky yellow.

Elly — October 18, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

These cupcakes were amazing! It made only 10 cupcakes which is great for our household of two. The cupcakes were dense, not too sweet and almost muffin-like and we absolutely loved them! For the frosting I used my chocolate chip cheesecake frosting which is 8oz cream cheese+1 stick soft butter+1cup pow. sugar+vanilla+mini chocolate chips and it went perfectly with your cupcakes :) Thanks!!!

Maria — October 25, 2013 @ 12:36 am

Just made it for my preschooler’s class snack…hoping they love it! Serving it with a side of yogurt.

1. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Elizabeth Ashleigh

2. Pingback: What I Ate Recently « Teen Eat and Live

3. Pingback: What I’m Loving: Friday Edition

4. Pingback: 20 Questions | That Deep Breath

5. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cupcakes « A Vanilla Daydream

6. Pingback: What I ate on my birthday weekend!

7. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Nikkilooch