I did something really dumb.

Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites I howsweeteats.com

Way to be positive in 2012! But seriously.

Because we had precisely one billion tasks to accomplish in the last week with our time off, I decided to download Temple Run on my iPhone. Hey. Is your resolution to play six solid hours of games on your mobile device? Because I think you can cross if off your list. I did it for you.

Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites I howsweeteats.com

I generally prohibit myself from downloading games on my phone and what not because I have uh, no self control. If it was up to me I’d play virtual skee ball all afternoon with Dawson’s reruns on in the background. And I’d probably crave those nasty nachos and cheese from arcades too.

You’re talking to someone who killed all versions of Angry Birds in one sitting. Got it??

Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites I howsweeteats.com

But I downloaded it anyway. And then two days later when I finally came up for air, I peeked out of my blanket fort to find Mr. How Sweet browsing the internet on the iPad and it hit me: we could download Temple Run on my iPad too, and then, OMG… we can both play it. Like, all the time.

I grabbed the tablet from him and shouted “we have to download this game!!” while he stared at me completely uninterested. Or disgusted. Or both. “Just play it once!” I yelled.

And I haven’t seen him since.

Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites I howsweeteats.com

Well, sort of.

Now we just take turns. Me on my phone… him on the iPad. Him on my phone… me on the iPad. Thank goodness we now have two portable Apple devices (God bless your soul Steve Jobs) to waste our entire lives with.

You know how you go out to a nice, fairly expensive restaurant and see a young(ish) couple not even making eye contact with each other, sitting at a table with a bottle of wine and each head buried in their smartphone? Yeah. That’s us. Except like, four hundred times worse.

Temple Run somehow mastered the art of making the most disgusting sounds when your character dies. It’s like they specialize in skull crushing and flesh burning, because every single freaking time my little runner man is about to bite the dust or get eaten by skull-faced monkey things, I feel EXTREME anxiety. Really.

Just ignore me.

I did break long enough yesterday to make some lunch, which included these sweet potato rounds. But that was really only because we are fiiiiinally out of cookies. I never thought I’d see the day.

These are crispy and delicious and get this – sweet. Who the heck knew?

Oooooh and I also made a dipping sauce. It’s the best part.

Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites I howsweeteats.com

I want to slather this on my face it’s so good. Little bit of greek yogurt with the teeeeeniest tiniest bit of truffle oil, for real – just a drop. SO MUCH FLAVOR. My head almost exploded.

I’m eating these every day for the rest of my life.

Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites I howsweeteats.com

Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites

serves about 2 (maybe more)

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into uniform rounds

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup panko bread crumbs

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 teaspoon fresh thyme

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

2 teaspoons finely grated parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon pepper

pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray.

In a small bowl, combine panko, parsley, basil, thyme, cilantro, parmesan, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix with a spoon and use your hands to get everything combined.

Peel (if you want) your sweet potatoes and slice into rounds about 1/4 of an inch thick. Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, then stir with your hands to make sure each piece is coated back and front. Add in panko + herbs, stirring again with your hands and pressing lightly to adhere. Some will stick – some will not. That’s fine! Place rounds on the wire rack, and then sprinkle the leftover panko + herbs from the bottom of the bowl over top of each round.

Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until crust is golden and sweet potatoes are soft. Serve immediately with smoky basil truffle sauce!

Smoky Basil Truffle Dipping Sauce

3/4 cup plain low-fat greek yogurt

1 teaspoon truffle oil

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

pinch of salt & pepper

Whisk ingredients together until smooth, then serve.

Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites I howsweeteats.com

Update: I just looked over and Mr. How Sweet has set down his half-eaten bowl of three meat chili to play the dumb game. Now THAT is a problem.

106 Responses to “Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites.”

Camilla — January 3, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

I love sweet potatoes! This recipe looks awesome. You always have such good ideas!

Kristen @ Change of Pace — January 3, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

Bookmarked this for party appetizers. Delicious!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 3, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

these look fantastic! I love sweet potatoes in any form, really, but anything topped with panko and herbs…plus a dipping sauce…must be made immediately! Perhaps this weekend for the Giants game…

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — January 3, 2012 @ 3:00 pm

Nom nom. I wanna bite on these. PS I’m totally one of those people with my head buried in my iphone. It’s just the reality now.

Jen — January 3, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

My advice to you: never download Kingdom Rush. NEVER.

Lauren @ Recipes for a Quarterlife — January 3, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

ummmmm did someone say Dawson’s Creek?

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 3, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

These look delish… Love this recipe! Sweet potatoes are my favorite.

Katie — January 3, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

Sweet potatoes are such a regular item in the house that I forget that I can actually spruce them up and make them taste different! You’re recipe just saved my lunch boredom..thank you, my friend.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — January 3, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

Baked sweet potatoes are the only way I like any kind of potato!

Moni'sMeals — January 3, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

fantastic!!! YUM and THANKS!!

[New Balance] Nicole — January 3, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

I cannot wait to make these, I love sweet potatoes!

Katie @ ohshineon — January 3, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

Oh, these look very yummy. The greek yogurt-based dip looks especially appealing. I’m being sent a bunch of the stuff from Chobani and have been trying to collect and create different recipes using their product. I’ve never used truffle oil and am not sure what it is exactly. Do you have any other suggestions that may be able to be substituted?

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

Truffle oil can’t really be replaced – it’s a one of a kind flavor! But you could definitely just add the smoked paprika and some basil + salt + pepper – we do that often! :)

Cassie @ bake your day — January 3, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

These look so flavorful. Truffle oil makes me swoon.

betty — January 3, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

such a great recipe, they look pretty good and don’t worry I’m also a bit addcited to games :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — January 3, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

I’m dying laughing right now, because I have a feeling we might have been living parallel lives this past weekend! My husband and I have not stopped playing Temple Run. It’s got that “just one more time” factor that makes you not be able to walk away from it. Glad to know we aren’t the only ones out there!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

Exactly! We keep looking at each other saying “just one more game!”

Lauren — January 3, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

Love me some sweet potatoes!! I think I could bathe in that dipping sauce…

Alessandra — January 3, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

It’s official. 90% of the recipes I’ve pinned on my food board are from your blog. EVERY SINGLE THING you post is…well, uh-mazing. Thank you!

• Jessica — January 3rd, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

YOU are amazing. Thank you!!

Katie — January 3, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

LOL, besides this food looking amazing(can’t wait to try it!)….temple run is mine and my boyfriends favorite game- so addicted!and i also get the same anxiety when a tree comes up or the things are catching up to him haha! love it

Emily@ Living Longfellow — January 3, 2012 @ 10:51 pm

Absolutely going on the menu for our housewarming party!!!!

Rachel — January 3, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

These sound so good! Sweet potatoes are my favorite.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 3, 2012 @ 11:38 pm

obsessed with truffle oil!!! omg that recipe looks amazing Jessica!
    Happy 2012!!!

Elizabeth — January 4, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

this looks great! i absolutely love sweet potatoes when they are savory (not so much the sweet preparations), and i love that you have so many recipes in this category.

i’ve had an iphone for 2 years and i’ve assiduously avoided getting sucked into the “angry birds” fad. now you are giving me another thing to resist? argh.

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — January 4, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

OMG! I downloaded Temple Run on New Years Eve and I spent the whole night trying to out run those creepy looking bird things. Haha. But seriously, those bites look amazing!

kerri — January 4, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

I must have done something wrong, they were just shriveled up…maybe too skinny of slices?

christina @ ovenadventures — January 5, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

ok i totally sit and play scrabble or fruit ninja and watch dawson’s creek. i wish i was kidding but i’m so not. i just got an ipad for christmas and I love it. like right now i’m typing on my macbook, listening to Fun. on my ipad and checking twitter on my phone. why can’t I just do everything on one device?? i have no idea. btw the food looks great.

Kelly — January 5, 2012 @ 10:35 pm

I NEED to make this ASAP. Sweet potatoes are pretty much one of my all-time favorite foods.

Kristin — January 7, 2012 @ 9:49 pm

ha ha temple run is ridiculously addictive. I spent all of last weekend at my inlaws unable to look up from my phone :)

Amy — January 8, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

1) these look amazing. I have done something very similar with butternut squash and it was pretty darn delicious. dipped in just plain sour cream though.
    2) now I have to download that game. I don’t even care what it is about. GREAT!

Julia — January 9, 2012 @ 11:56 am

I love temple run!!! I’ve got all my brothers playing it too…and I love sweet potatoes…a winning combination!

Ginger — January 11, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

Well, that does it. I’m making this for next meatless Monday.

Stoveside — January 13, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

All versions of angry birds in one sitting? Bologna!

Ashley — January 23, 2012 @ 10:44 am

Oh Mylanta! I made these a couple of nights ago and they are the bomb dot com! Thank you so much for sharing! I’m already planning to make them again. Oh, and the truffle sauce is uh-mazing! I may or may not have spread a large quantity of this on my bacon cheese burger.

Veronica — January 23, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

Look delicious, but can i substitute dry herbs? I hate buying fresh and only using so little!

• Gloria — August 9th, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

I agree however I love the freshness shm!!!

Anne — February 1, 2012 @ 8:58 am

I made these last night and they were delicious! I got lazy and didn’t make the dip but I LOVED the sweet potato bites!

Meg@thelegaltart — March 6, 2012 @ 7:49 am

Sound Delicious. I feel a need for a glass of wine with these.

Jennifer — March 9, 2012 @ 10:26 pm

Huge hit at my house tonight! No one could say no.

Heather @ What Does She Do All Day? — June 18, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

These were fantastic! I served them up as a side dish and my family devoured them. In fact my daughter only ate the sweet potatoes!

Gloria — August 9, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

Gonna Try this tonight!

sakiya — June 3, 2014 @ 6:47 pm

I don’t have fresh and don’t have time to run to the store… Will dried powdery versions work? Hope so…

1. Pingback: Get Real « sumpretty

2. Pingback: » Beef and Tomato Stew Sugarfoot Eats

3. Pingback: Herb Crusted Sweet Potato Bites « CityCooker

4. Pingback: Herb Crusted Sweet Potato | Delicious desserts recipes

5. Pingback: Five More Fall Recipes (that aren't pumpkin) . . .and Link Love! - The Cooking Bride