Okay listen.

On the off chance that you MIGHT have some banana bread left (I know I know, I’m asking a lot), like after you make a loaf… this is what you should do.

The idea came about after we saw about 5 minutes of the daylong chocolate special on Food Network the Saturday before Valentine’s Day. Sandra Lee was making some sort of chocolate cake into french toast when my husband says, “oh you have to try that with banana bread! I bet it would be sooo good.”

I concurred. I mean, obviously.

I baked the banana bread simply for the purpose of turning it into french toast – any other reason and that entire thing would be devoured in about 10 minutes. I am not one of “those people” that has banana bread just sitting on the counter, days later. So… as soon as he walked in the door, I nearly mugged my husband and was all “OMG I made the french toast with banana bread like you suggested and it’s sooooo good OMG do you want some I know you do let’s have it for dinner because who needs chicken!”

To which he shakes his head, mail in hand, eyes on some NASCAR magazine and claims “no,  I don’t like banana bread.”

WHAT.

“Ummm… didn’t YOU tell me to make this banana bread french toast? Didn’t you suggest it?

“Well yeah. I thought people would like it… like you. I’m sure it’s really good. I just don’t like banana bread.”

Shoooooooot me.

WHO doesn’t like banana bread?!

I hope not you.

Soo… totally make this. I converted my triple fudge banana bread to a whole wheat banana bread and used that, but it’s not necessary. Use store bought banana bread if you wish. Use banana bread from a box! Use banana bread that’s been sitting on your counter for four days.

Wait – seriously, how has banana bread been sitting on your counter for four days?

Here’s the thing: this is going to work best if the bread has sat a little. I baked mine late in the evening, then let it sit over night without covering. This also helped in the whole I-want-to-consume-the-entire-loaf-immediately predicament because I just made myself go to bed.

Then you can do whatever you want with that french toast.

I mean… you could keep it boring.

Or not.

Banana Bread French Toast

[banana bread recipe from my triple fudge banana bread]

makes one [9x5) loaf

for bread

2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 large egg

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

4 large bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan (mine was 9×5) liberally with non-stick spray or grease with butter. In a bowl, mix together flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder, then set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk egg and sugar together until smooth. Whisk in vanilla extract, then add bananas and milk and mix until combined. Add in dry ingredients slowing, mixing with a spoon until batter comes together. Add in melted butter and stir until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until center is set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely - best if cooled overnight.

for french toast using 1/2 loaf (about 6 slices)

3 large eggs

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

butter for the pan

Slice banana bread to desired thickness. In a bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, cream and cinnamon, whisking until combined. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat and brush with butter.  Dip each slice into the egg mixture for about 30 seconds to coat completely, then place on the buttered surface. Cook until golden and somewhat crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Serve with sliced bananas, fresh whipped cream, syrup and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. For a drizzly chocolate, combine 2 tablespoons chocolate chips and 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil in the microwave for about 45 seconds, mixing once during cooking time, until melty.

I’m going to thank bananas for the rest of my life.

171 Responses to “Banana Bread French Toast.”

Jaan — February 25, 2012 @ 11:09 am

You just had to do it! I was doing good until the last pic of the banana bread french toast with bananas, whip cream and chocolate sauce…..Ahh, man, THIS is what I WANT for dinner tonite! Imagine what it will taste like with our own home grown bananas….YEP! They are super sweet, too. And, just a footnote, for desert I will have banana bread french toast with ICE CREAM and CHOCOLATE SAUCE! YEP! all those calories.

Diane@LongabergerLifestyle — February 25, 2012 @ 11:16 am

I’m drooling! And wondering…”Why didn’t I ever think of this? I love BB!”

Charlie — February 25, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!

This is over the top and I just have to make it!

The grandchildren will love me forever.

Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

Julia {The Roasted Root} — February 25, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Oh man, the pictures with the whipped cream and the bananas and the chocolaty syrup…this looks like an absolute flavor explosion. I really like the recipe you used for the banana bread…I never thought to use whole wheat pastry flour, and I actually have quite a bit of King Arthur’s whole wheat pastry flour that has been burning a hole in my cupboard. LOVE the idea of banana bread french toast!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — February 25, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

banana bread…seriously the best food on the planet…there is NOTHING like walking into a house that smells like fresh baked banana bread…or banana bread french toast! :) xox

Anne@simplysweeter.blogspot.com — February 25, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

That last shot is the most beautiful pic I’ve ever seen. Yum!!!!!! I want to use it for a Christmas card.
    lol

Michaela — February 26, 2012 @ 5:01 am

wow!! how “sweet” of him to think of a recipe for your blog! and WHAT a recipe!! I must try this.

Jess@atasteofconfidence — February 26, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

your husband is crazy, that looks AMAZING.

Katie — February 26, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

I always say I hate bananas…but really, banana bread is IMPOSSIBLE not to like. I think Mr. How Sweet is lying.

MikeVFMK — February 26, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

I’m a big french toast fan. I’m also a big banana bread fan. Never once did I think about this obvious connection between the two. Genius. So bloody good. And that last pic put me over the edge. Seriously.

Abby Flynt — February 26, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

I went to Ciopinno this weekend and had banana bread french toast for dessert. It was topped with caramel sauce and came with chocolate covered bacon.

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — February 26, 2012 @ 8:40 pm

This looks killer!!! I loveeee banana bread AND french toast, and so does my boyfriend.. this is a great idea for brunch this wkend.

Ashley — February 26, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

Had this at a restaurant downtown yesterday! Couldn’t believe I hadn’t heard of it before, mine was served with whipped cream and some sort of berry syrup, yum yum :)

Katrina — February 26, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

I love you.

Ashley's Cooking Adventures — February 26, 2012 @ 10:23 pm

This is just brilliant! I am drooling. And I want a loaf of banana bread STAT!

Kim in MD — February 27, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Oh my gosh, I know just what I am going to do with the ripening bananas on my counter! :-)

Megan — February 27, 2012 @ 11:56 am

Wonderful!

Megan — February 27, 2012 @ 11:59 am

¡Esto es tan creativo y ve muy deliciosa! Estoy seguro de que esto es perfectamente dulce y un buen desayuno. ¡Realmente quiero hacer esto para la cena, sé que es un alimento para el desayuno, pero se ve increíble! Muchas graciás por publicar esto, su escritura es siempre muy divertido y sus recetas son increíbles. ¡Espero poder hacer esto en los próximos días y vuelva para hacerle saber cómo se va!

Trinity — February 27, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

banana bread does not last long at my house….i literally burn all my taste buds because i have no patience and practically sit in front of the oven waiting for it to cook. and i love french toast…….i think i am going to make this as soon as i have a few ripe bananas =) (i’m a banana freak and they usually don’t last long enough to get over ripe…..)

Erin — February 27, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

I will totally make banana bread just so I can then make this

Tiara — February 27, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

OMG I have never had banana bread but I’m definitely going to make some very soon and then make some of this delicious french toast!!! Im soooo excited:-)

Pudding Pie Lane — February 27, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

Oooh… looks so good! Thanks for the banana idea :)

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — February 28, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

Yeah…I don’t know if I’d have any banana bread left over to make this, but if I did, that would be the ultimate breakfast. Genius!

Elizabeth @ chronic venture — February 28, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

ahhhh what a wonderful idea!!

Valerie — February 29, 2012 @ 11:43 am

I could easily eat this kind of French toast for lunch and dinner too!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — February 29, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

LOVE.

shelly (cookies and cups) — March 1, 2012 @ 8:41 am

Would it be wrong to eat a whole loaf by myself?

Jemma — March 2, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

made it for our special friday breakfast… what a hit! the kids could not get enough and said we have to make it every week!

Bethany — March 2, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

I had loads of banana bread growing up. Almost as much as we had french toast. Why weren’t we as genius to think we could combine them both?

Piccola Italiana — March 3, 2012 @ 12:39 am

Gahhhhhh, why does your food always look so dang delicious?! Stop making me wish I hadn’t gone on a diet for Lent :(

And please excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard…

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 3, 2012 @ 10:51 am

BEST breakfast I’ve had in a long time. I didn’t have heavy cream, so I used coconut almond milk, and it was still delicious! I drizzled mine with coconut maple syrup (coconut oil + maple syrup melted together) and topped with caramelized banana. Absolutely amazing.

Amanda — March 4, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

Oh my goodness!!! I’ve just read this recipe and I am having a huge craving to make it!!

Monyca — March 4, 2012 @ 10:01 pm

Love this idea.
    My college dining hall made French Toast using Eggo (or generic frozen?) waffles. They were great because the egg mixture soaked in all the little squares, so delicious.

Mackenzie Byersdorf — March 8, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

Holy moly…these look AMAZING! Just the right treat when chocolate isn’t doing it for you. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to make them!

• Mackenzie Byersdorf — March 8th, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

Wow I am an idiot…I meant to comment on the Brown Sugar Cupcakes! This looks amazing too though! :)

Amy @ A Little Nosh — March 8, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

I’m breaking in a brand new cast iron loaf pan for this banana bread. It better be good, woman! (if the batter is any test, it’ll be awesome..)

Colleen — March 14, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

My boyfriend and I tried making banana bread french toast once, with a similar inspiration from the Food Network. It was okay…a little weird. Mostly it was just really HEAVY, since the bread is already heavy and then you’re adding more heaviness with the eggs and milk.

Joanie Zisk — March 20, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

What a great idea!! I can’t wait to try it. It looks delicious!!

Kenzie — April 16, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

Ohhh….. THIS IS ON MY BUCKET LIST!!! Funny about your husband! I can’t BELIEVE he does not like banana bread!

melissa — August 15, 2012 @ 10:55 am

This would be SO good with cocoa nibs in the bread and then some caramelized bananas on top!
    I just discovered your blog this morning and can’t stop looking at all the fabulous things you have posted! I can’t wait to try making something :)

Gaye Glasspie — September 4, 2012 @ 11:36 am

ok I was directed here from another site (bless her heart) and I have been here for almost an hour! I think I love you!

Danielle Young — September 13, 2012 @ 1:08 am

This looks amazing……I make a french toast like this, but I actually use your Banana Boat Cupcake recipe to make the bread. It is awesome. I love those cupcakes too. My students made them in Culinary and they were out of this world!!! You are great!

Tabitha Frowen — January 25, 2013 @ 6:45 pm

One: I absolutely love this blog. All I’ve been doing the past two days is looking through recipes and squealing with joy. The boyfriend is getting tired of hearing “OMG I need to make this.”
    Two: For the french toast, when you say “heavy cream”, ,do you mean 18% or 35%? I’ve never made french toast before and I’m completely clueless.

Jennie B — April 22, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

I made this over the weekend, AMAZING!!! Genius :)

Sandy — October 6, 2014 @ 10:24 am

I made this for the family Saturday morning. I didn’t have heavy cream so I used canned coconut milk. It was delicious ^_^. I served them topped with powdered sugar and banana slices. Very, very filling. It’s a good thing my weekend job has me moving around a lot.

1. Pingback: Banana Bread French Toast [Breakfast Time]

2. Pingback: Breakfast with the Gents « offthefrontporch

3. Pingback: Wishful Thinking | notables near the shore

4. Pingback: I love lists, Friday! › shutterbean

5. Pingback: I had such high hopes | MADE

6. Pingback: This bread is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S « Spoonlighting

7. Pingback: 5 завтраков + недельный обзор 26 февраля - 2 марта 2012 | Promama.kz

8. Pingback: March Break #18 | The Sweetest Thing

9. Pingback: Banana Bread French Toast | The Spiffy Cookie

10. Pingback: March 24: From Victoria’s Kitchen « New Year's Resolution

11. Pingback: French Toast & Food in 'The Six' by K. B. Hoyle (guest post) | Cabin Goddess

12. Pingback: Banana Bread French Toast « The Pancake Princess and the Protein Prince

13. Pingback: Cheer Ktchen - Banana Bread French Toast