So, like… do I even have to say actual words about this?

Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken Linguine I howsweeteats.com

Because you know all I have is “OMG! Brown butter! Make it now! I’ve created the best thing on the planet!” Exclamation point exclamation point.

Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken Linguine I howsweeteats.com

See those little brown specks way up there? Yeah… you may be fooled into thinking they are part of the whole wheat pasta, but um… they are specks of BROWN BUTTER. God rest my soul.

Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken Linguine I howsweeteats.com

I mean, just what in the world am I supposed to say? That I hope someone embalms me with brown butter when my life is over? That I could probably eat an entire onion if it was caramelized? That I slap myself across the face everytime I remember that I used to hate mushrooms? I could say so much.

Just know that whatever you are thinking about this pasta (well, okay… the absolutely positively wonderful things) is true. Decadent, delicious, flavor pop in your face. A dish for a special occasion or if you have a husband like mine… a dish for weekly lunches. How not fair is that?

Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken Linguine I howsweeteats.com

I wish I could be my own wife.

Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken Linguine I howsweeteats.com

Many of you have asked for a compilation of my favorite Valentine’s Day dinners, and all I want to scream is “but don’t you knoooow how indecisive I am?!?” Ugh. Here’s the deal. Wait… am I late on this?

I think that this chicken romano could ensure you an engagement ring. Or whatever the equivalent of that is for you male counterparts out there. Actually I know for sure that it can – it’s happened. Clams casino linguine could earn you a new pair of shoes… or six. There are no words for lobster mac and cheese besides… UM WHAT. It’s lobster mac and cheese. I once made beef bourguignon before I broke the news of my credit card balance to my husband. No joke. So yeah… that works. If you’re not fancy but want to pretend you are this brown sugar butter roasted chicken does the trick! And if you really love someone (again, like yourself), I highly advise you to drop whatever it is that you’re doing at the moment and make caramelized chicken with mushroom sauce and grilled herb bread. Then rejoice.

But if you’re feeling lazy… just make this. No, seriously. Make this.

Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken Linguine I howsweeteats.com

Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken Linguine

serves 4

1.5-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 medium sweet onion, sliced

1 cup sliced mushrooms

4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

3/4 cup dry white wine

1/2 pound whole wheat pasta (preferably noodles)

2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese + more for topping

fresh chopped parsley for topping

Heat a large skillet oven medium-high heat and add canola oil. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel then toss with salt, pepper and paprika. Add to the skillet and brown on all sides, cooking for about 8-10 minutes total. Remove and set aside in a bowl. Turn heat down to low and add 1/2 tablespoon butter. Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt and stirring occasionally, cook until caramelized – about 15 minutes.

While onions are caramelizing, heat a small saucepan over low heat and add 5 tablespoons of butter. Whisk constantly until butter has brown bits on the bottom, then immediately remove from heat. I usually whisk for about 30 seconds more just to make sure the bits don’t burn. Set aside. At this time also prepare the water for your pasta and cook according to the directions.

After onions have caramelized, set them aside in a bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter and add mushrooms. Cook for 5-6 minutes until juicy and caramelized. Place onions back in the skillet, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Increase the heat to medium and add wine. Let the wine bubble and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and pasta both to the skillet, tossing multiple times to coat. Turn off heat and stir in grated cheese. Drizzle brown butter (make sure you get the brown bits!) over top, tossing to coat a few more times. Serve with additional cheese and chopped parsley.

Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken Linguine I howsweeteats.com

Tomorrow… we make dessert. JUST WAIT.

118 Responses to “Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken Linguine.”

Got Your Hoilday On — February 13, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

OMGosh, really??? I’m about ready to go off my diet. Dang it.

Eating Local in the Lou — February 13, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

My goodness! Your pictures are beautiful and I love your humor! I am amazed at how many comments you already have in just one day…something I aspire to!! Keep up the great work!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — February 13, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

This looks too amazing. My boyfriend would loooooooooove this.

Sarah — February 13, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

You’re trying to make me fat. STOP MAKING ME FAT.

*goes off to the liquor and grocery store to buy all the ingredients needed*

Danie B. — February 13, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

Aside from truffle oil, browned butter is one of my favorite flavors. I make a dish similar to this…have you tried it with some fresh sage? Mind. Blowing.

Love your blog and will be subscribing!

Chels R. — February 13, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

Oh my word! Really? You had to post THIS!! Now I want to EAT This every day for the rest of my life!!! In all seriousness, it looks incredible!

Quiche-ing Queen — February 13, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

Looks like I need to make a quick trip to the store before tomorrow evening.

Mansee — February 13, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

I was wondering what I should make myself for Valentine’s Day – this is perfect! And I’ll brown some extra butter to drink along with it…no biggie.

Samantha — February 13, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

There better be dessert tomorrow!! It looks like you cleaned your stove, which means reward, aka DESSERT.
    or maybe just dessert because its Tuesday tomorrow.
    or maybe just dessert because its dessert.
    Who cares. I don’t. It’s dessert.

• Jessica — February 13th, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone would notice my clean stove!… because um… it wasn’t clean at all, I had to edit out like 50 crumbs and stains.

Jen — February 13, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

I think I can smell the dish *stomach grumbling* and the pictures are great! Jen

Krissy's Creations — February 13, 2012 @ 10:44 pm

OMG, is right! Brown Butter in pasta??? Yes Please!

Alice C. — February 13, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

Freaking delicious! I just made this! And it was super fast too. :D

Tina @ My Life as a Mrs — February 13, 2012 @ 11:15 pm

looks uh.mazing.

what katie's baking — February 14, 2012 @ 12:53 am

man i love your pictures and this is making my mouth water

Jenna — February 14, 2012 @ 1:31 am

I made this tonight! As soon as I saw it, I made it! I didn’t have the mushrooms…but it was still wonderful. I am so happy I came across your blog. Beautiful! You made me so excited about brown butter…who would have thought?

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — February 14, 2012 @ 2:42 am

That looks positively delicious — face-planting!

Michelle — February 14, 2012 @ 3:23 am

Oh you know.. just sitting here constantly refreshing your site hoping your dessert recipe will somehow pop up before tomorrow.. because teeeechnically it is tomorrow.. I need a life. And this pasta. And whatever dessert that is soon to be posted.

Skinny Fat Kid — February 14, 2012 @ 9:40 am

We don’t eat a ton of butter, but this looks good!!

Devin Bramhall — February 14, 2012 @ 10:05 am

This was SO good. My fave part was the whole wheat pasta instead of regular. Added more flavor to the dish. I think this would be great in the summertime too. Pasta is heavy, but the sauce is light, so it would work. Wonder if you can serve it cold…

Jackie Thompson — February 14, 2012 @ 10:39 am

Oh my – sooo delish! And I just had a slimfast!!! … it is whole wheat pasta … though …

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — February 14, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

This might need to happen tonight. and then the next time. and the next. . .

Veronica — February 14, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

Wow! This is fabulous! I have to try this for sure… thanks for the great posts, totally love your humor.

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites — February 14, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

your dishes make cooking look like FUN … like WAY more fun than ever seemed before :) beautiful photos…ive read your blog many times…always jumping over here from OSg :D

Allison — February 14, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

I made this tonight and it was soooo incredible. My new favorite dish by a landslide! My family loved it too… Thanks, and Happy Valentines Day!

Tammy — February 14, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

Made this tonight… YUM… thanks for a delicious Valentines dinner!

Laura — February 15, 2012 @ 8:41 am

I made this last night for Valentines Day. It was absolutely delish!!!

Amrita — February 15, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

I’ve been looking for a recipe that would make my mother eat anything pasta apart from spag-bol and I think I’ve found it! I’ve been a big fan of brown butter since an ex-boyfriend made me some brown butter and caramel ice-cream ages ago…in retrospect, he would have been worth keeping just because of his brown-butter recipe repertoire!

Whitney — February 15, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

Made this last night and let’s just say my boyfriend thanks you, and my coworkers are jealous of my leftovers.

Meagan — February 15, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

I made this for my husband for Valentine’s Day and he and I both loved it, so delicious! Thank you so much!

MandyLynn — February 17, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

Chickie!!! This recipe is unbelievable!! Made it for the hubbie-to-be last night as a belated V-Day dinner (I got sick on V-Day afternoon & was on my couch from then until last night when I started feeling better!) & WOW! Incredible! I subbed Romano cheese for the Parmesan & used Yellow Tail Riesling as that’s what we had, & it was absolutely perfect! Thanks! <3

Chris Bonney — February 19, 2012 @ 9:55 am

Hey there, I tried this recipe Friday night and loved it so I posted it on my blog this morning and created a link back to your site.
    We didn’t take the best photo – it was late, I think we were hungry:)
    mymothersdaugher.net

Mrs. Jen B — February 20, 2012 @ 11:35 am

True story: Was at an Amish family-style restaurant over the weekend where they serve homemade egg noodles drenched in brown butter. Since the first time I ate them I have literally dreamed about these noodles for half my lifetime. Anyway, after taking what was probably more than I should have seeing as how there were other people at the table who may have wanted some, one woman asked “What’s that stuff on the noodles?”. Since my mouth was full I couldn’t explain, so someone else did. “Oh, so what, it’s just BURNED butter?” she asked, horrified. I almost slapped her. Then I realized that she needed my pity, not a slap. Because she refused to even try them. Poor woman.

Becky — February 21, 2012 @ 9:40 am

I loved this recipe so much that I made it two nights in a row. Seriously. Thanks so much! I’ve loved every recipe on this site!

Lisa P — February 22, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Made this last night. AWESOME! I’m finding a trend here… my hubby loves everything from your blog! You are the best!

Sue — February 26, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

This was FANTASTIC! I was missing several ingredients….but even with substituting it was fantastic! Thanks for blogging!
    I linked to your blog when I posted about this yummy supper! :)

Ashley — February 29, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

I tried this and it was AMAZING! It may have added a few more dimples to my derriere, but I loved every minute of it. Delicious! I’m sharing this recipe today on my blog: fromdahliastodoxies.blogspot.com

Thank you so much for sharing this tasty tasty pasta!

Shawna — March 2, 2012 @ 11:45 am

I felt like I just HAD to tell you about this….I made this with Chocolate Cabernet Pasta last night. YES, CHOCOLATE PASTA!!! It was soooo good! I have a feeling you would love it! Thanks for all the awesome recipes :)

Rebecca — March 3, 2012 @ 12:16 am

I just made this for our dinner guests and it was ah-MAZing. thank you so much, Jessica!

cherie — March 22, 2012 @ 7:09 pm

This was delicious – thanks!

Pip — March 26, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

How would this be with Shrimp? Does the sauce suit it?

QTBERN — August 19, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I made this a few weeks ago and my family has requested that I make it again today. It is the best I’ve ever had. YUMMIEEEE. They actually asked me to make it two days after I made it the first time. So, I”m being nice and making it again today…..

All That I'm Eating — August 20, 2012 @ 6:08 am

This sounds wonderful. It looks so good and I love the combination of flavours. Great pictures too.

Tiffany — August 21, 2012 @ 12:18 am

The best pasta I ever had (EVER) was with a browned butter sauce, so this sounds AMAZING. And I love the pictures… very vibrant.

Anna — August 23, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

i made this tonight and it was AHHMAZING! i didn’t have any chicken thawed so i had to skip that, and my mushrooms were a little older then they should’ve been(; so i added green peppers and a little cream to give the sauce some oomph. thanks so much for this recipe!

Can — March 11, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

This was delicious.

Used old Dutch grated cheese instead of parmessan this time and a regular onion (with a dash of brown sugar).

Thanks!

1. Pingback: Stop what you’re doing and look at this! « kerrycooks

2. Pingback: Week in Review 2/18/12 » Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

3. Pingback: Brown Butter Parmesan Chicken

4. Pingback: March Goals - Newborn Photography, Raleigh, N.C. Rebecca Keller Photography

5. Pingback: My Recipe Box – Incomplete version. « LuxeHunter.co.uk

6. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday ~ 3/12 – 3/16

7. Pingback: Medley of Miscellany « Claire's (online) Chronicles

8. Pingback: Parmesan and Brown Butter Chicken Linguine ~ And An Ode to Brown Food... | Juanita's Cocina

9. Pingback: A Not-So Prix Fixe Menu – Local {ATL}ast

10. Pingback: When In Doubt, Add More Cheese – Local {ATL}ast

11. Pingback: Vegetable Jalfrezi with Brown Rice & Quinoa – Local {ATL}ast

12. Pingback: Spaghetti with Creamy Butternut Leek Sauce – Local {ATL}ast

13. Pingback: March Goals - Newborn Photography, Raleigh, N.C.

14. Pingback: Seen On Pinterest: Valentine’s Day Inspiration For Everyone In The Family | TDS Home

15. Pingback: Saturday Swoon | Apples to Ziti