Let’s talk about your dinner tonight.

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

It’s Monday, so you’re probably thinking about eating something very rabbit-esque, like lettuce or carrots or maybe even some slightly seasoned baked salmon. No beer, no wine, nothing with flavor and certainly nothing with cheese. Because it’s Monday. And if you can’t get your health together on Monday? Well, it might not ever happen. Like never. Right?

Oh and to complicate matters even more, you ate like 16 bajillion calories yesterday including 34 scoops of [insert extremely decadent name here] dip. And then you came home and polished off an entire box of Trader Joe’s ice cream bon bons.

Oh wait. That was me. I got us confused for a second. My apologies. [P.S. they're really good and you should buy ten boxes next time you're there.]

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

Back to dinner. You want to “start the week off right!” so you’re planning a lovely feast of romaine and possibly some tuna from a pouch of and then some sort of vegetable that you bought even though it’s highly out of season, cost you $3 and is already a mushed and molded mess. But it’s a vegetable. And it’s Monday. So you’ll eat it. And starve.

Hi, it’s me. I’m inside your mind!

But that’s boring. Because I said so. And I don’t believe in such torturous practices because, well… you’re awesome. I like you. And you’re deserving of something delicious.

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

This shrimp doesn’t seem like much, but would you look at it?! Super simple and piled with tons upon tons of flavor.

I think you’ll like it. Make Monday happy.

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet

serves 2-4

1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp

1/3 cup olive oil

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne

In a bowl, whisk olive oil, parmesan, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic and red pepper flakes together. Add shrimp to a large ziplock bag, pour marinade over top, then seal bag and shake to coat. Place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes… or 2-4 hours… or overnight if desired!

When ready to eat, bring water to boil in a large pot and cook penne according to directions. While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and marinade (just dump the entire contents of the bag into the skillet), then cook shrimp until pink – about 2 minutes per side. Be careful not to overcook! As soon as shrimp is finished, add penne into the skillet and toss to coat completely. Top with additional parmesan cheese and sliced green onions, then serve.

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

And you can, uh… toss some vegetables or something in there too if you want. As usual… if you’re into that baloney.

166 Responses to “Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet.”

Jessica — June 14, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

Hey Jess,
    Did you use grated parm or shredded parm cheese?! (I’m making this for my dad on Father’s Day!!!)

• Jessica — June 14th, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

I use freshly grated parm!

Becca — July 9, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

This has become a family favorite!! My husband asks for it which is H-U-G-E! He likes angel hair pasta so we sub that for the penne and I add a bit more of “sauce” ingredients once the pasta is in the pan. Thank you SO much for this quick, easy and DELICIOUS meal!

Genie — July 23, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

thank you for posting this fantastic recipe! i made it for my boyfriend and myself first, and we absolutely loved it. i made it again for my dad and my brother–both are big fans of spicy food–and they loved it too. i only used 1 teaspoon of sugar (i’m not a fan of overly sweet dinner foods), and i added extra spiciness with a teaspoon of sriracha and a teaspoon of chinese chili garlic sauce. easy to make and so delicious!!!

Deanna — August 9, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

I just tried your recipe and I love it! I substituted brown sugar for white just because I didn’t have any, and instead of using fresh parm, I used a pack of the grated parm from Kraft. I did add a bit more soy sauce and used asparagus for veggies. Thanks for the recipe!

• Alyssa — January 9th, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Did you put the asparagus in the bag to marinade as well?

Nikita — August 25, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

I just made this using your recipe, except I used Bragg Aminos instead of Soy sauce but it came out awesome!!! Me n my bf love it! Great idea! Next ill have to make it for the rest of my fam :)

A — September 30, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

This was delicious and I enjoy your commentary. Can’t wait to try other recipes on your blog!

Constance — October 24, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

Would you recommend serving this with plain white rice?

• Jessica — October 24th, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

We usually eat it with brown, but white definitely works! My favorite is jasmine.

Alex — November 4, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

Just made this for dinner tonight. Worked out perfectly! I just threw in some leftover veggies i needed to use up: spinach and roasted broccoli. Delicious, practical dish. Thanks for sharing!

Kaitlin — February 9, 2013 @ 10:37 pm

I’ve made this a few times (including tonight) and my bf and I love it!
    Tonight I added a bit of white wine and parsley too, which tasted really good! Love your blog! :)

Vickie Meinen — February 18, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

Made this this weekend. Delish! I did throw a handfull of chopped fresh baby spinach with the last addition of Parmesan. I do think I’ll remove the tails the next time I make it. I see no reason not to.

Carrie — March 27, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

I just made this tonight – delicious!! I served it over arugula and it was just so good! Thanks for the recipe.

Dana — March 29, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Does this serve 4 people

Rosilyn — May 21, 2013 @ 1:37 pm

I see green onions/scallions in the pictures but none in the recipe…was it just a garnish?

Whitney — August 18, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

I made this for dinner tonight & it came out amazing. I added spinach and broccoli & it was a hit. My brother told me that it tasted like it came from a restaurant :) …thank u sooo much!!!

Lauren g — January 13, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

Delicious and easy!! I added spinach and green onion as mentioned. My husband absolutely loved it, so did I!!

Mys — March 19, 2014 @ 12:22 pm

This was delicious! I added spinach and it was perfect!

Jessica B — March 23, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

This is one of my favorite recipes! My husband & I eat it every other week normally! Like it better with linguine noodles though.

Kendra m. — April 14, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

I just made this tonight. So delicious! My boyfriend doesn’t like creamy/heavy pasta so this was perfect! Added mushrooms and a little more red pepper because we love spicy food. We were both super pleased. Thanks for sharing! Definitely making this again!

1. Pingback: Ready for the Week | That Deep Breath

2. Pingback: What I Ate Wednesday #29 | That Deep Breath

3. Pingback: More Pinterest Wins | RUNLINDSAYRUN

4. Pingback: {the food experiment // quick pasta with king prawns} « homebound the heart of life

5. Pingback: wellyeahmakeme | Pearltrees

6. Pingback: Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet « Don't Eat Crap

7. Pingback: this week’s tasty treat « throughardenteyes

8. Pingback: Spicy and Raw – Little Escapes From A Crazy Week « Time for Renewal

9. Pingback: #pastalove Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet | Pippi's in the Kitchen Again

10. Pingback: Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet « windykitchen

11. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday: Saved by the Shrimp - Working Moms Against Guilt

12. Pingback: A spicy dinner and a healthy dessert. | Confessions of a (Not-So) Domesticated Newlywed

13. Pingback: F is for Fourmetot « De quelle planète es-tu?

14. Pingback: Penne com camarões marinados picantes « PiP – eu quero!

15. Pingback: Food failures and accomplishments : Solid Gold Eats

16. Pingback: Diet December 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

17. Pingback: What’s for Dinner |

18. Pingback: How to Pass the Time for 7 Solo Days « ¡Hola! Top of the Mañana to You

19. Pingback: Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet | Good Stuff Only

20. Pingback: Spicy and Raw - Little Escapes From A Crazy Week | Cake 'n' KnifeCake 'n' Knife

21. Pingback: F is for Fourmetot | De quelle planète es-tu?

22. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes For Football Season.] | How Sweet It Is

23. Pingback: Spicy Shrimp & Veggie Skillet | Sip.Cook.Bake

24. Pingback: Foodie Friday: Spicy Shrimp and Roasted Asparagus Pasta | Urban Nesting

25. Pingback: 15 Seafood Pasta Ideas

26. Pingback: 20 Meatless Dinner Ideas - JOYFUL scribblings | JOYFUL scribblings

27. Pingback: Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet | Basil & Rye