Let’s talk about your dinner tonight.

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

It’s Monday, so you’re probably thinking about eating something very rabbit-esque, like lettuce or carrots or maybe even some slightly seasoned baked salmon. No beer, no wine, nothing with flavor and certainly nothing with cheese. Because it’s Monday. And if you can’t get your health together on Monday? Well, it might not ever happen. Like never. Right?

Oh and to complicate matters even more, you ate like 16 bajillion calories yesterday including 34 scoops of [insert extremely decadent name here] dip. And then you came home and polished off an entire box of Trader Joe’s ice cream bon bons.

Oh wait. That was me. I got us confused for a second. My apologies. [P.S. they're really good and you should buy ten boxes next time you're there.]

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

Back to dinner. You want to “start the week off right!” so you’re planning a lovely feast of romaine and possibly some tuna from a pouch of and then some sort of vegetable that you bought even though it’s highly out of season, cost you $3 and is already a mushed and molded mess. But it’s a vegetable. And it’s Monday. So you’ll eat it. And starve.

Hi, it’s me. I’m inside your mind!

But that’s boring. Because I said so. And I don’t believe in such torturous practices because, well… you’re awesome. I like you. And you’re deserving of something delicious.

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

This shrimp doesn’t seem like much, but would you look at it?! Super simple and piled with tons upon tons of flavor.

I think you’ll like it. Make Monday happy.

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet

serves 2-4

1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp

1/3 cup olive oil

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 teaspoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne

In a bowl, whisk olive oil, parmesan, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic and red pepper flakes together. Add shrimp to a large ziplock bag, pour marinade over top, then seal bag and shake to coat. Place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes… or 2-4 hours… or overnight if desired!

When ready to eat, bring water to boil in a large pot and cook penne according to directions. While pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and marinade (just dump the entire contents of the bag into the skillet), then cook shrimp until pink – about 2 minutes per side. Be careful not to overcook! As soon as shrimp is finished, add penne into the skillet and toss to coat completely. Top with additional parmesan cheese and sliced green onions, then serve.

Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet I howsweeteats.com

And you can, uh… toss some vegetables or something in there too if you want. As usual… if you’re into that baloney.

166 Responses to “Spicy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet.”

Sarah — February 6, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

Nothing is better than prawns and pasta – delicious!!!

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — February 6, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Yum! Looks tasty!

Susan (Oliepants) — February 6, 2012 @ 7:17 pm

I love the shrimp/pasta combination – and making it spicy is just beautiful.

Deneen — February 6, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

Good recipe

Jill @ Miss Delish — February 6, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

I just sent a text to my boyfriend with the link to this recipe. Lucky me, its his night to make dinner!

Maren — February 6, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

Actually, I’m not drinking beer or wine tonight…I’m drinking dirty martinis….extra dirty. Happy Monday! And wish I would have read this earlier because I definitely would have made this…there’s always tomorrow!

Living The Sweet Life — February 6, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

You’ve just saved my monday!! Forget about the salad – - and bring on the pasta and shrimp :D

Kristen — February 6, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

I was so excited to see this recipe this morning. It sounded amazing and I realized I had all of the ingredients on hand, so I made it for dinner tonight. It was great! The sweet and spicy combination was delish and slightly unexpected (I forgot about the brown sugar in the marinade). I also added in some spinach since I had it on hand and I wanted to feel a little less guilty for having olive oil, cheese and pasta for dinner :)

• Jessica — February 6th, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

I’m so glad!

• JarvisSeester — February 8th, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

If you replace the olive oil with thick water and you only eat 1/4 of the recipe, this works out to about 315 calories. With 1/2 cup broccoli and 1 cup spinach on the side you can easily make a 400 calorie meal that is healthy and delicious.

1 cup thick water = 1 cup water + 1 tbsp cornstarch. Boil until thick. Let cool before using.

• Amanda — February 13th, 2012 @ 3:16 am

dude. Jarvis you’re amazing!

• Lisa — March 10th, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

Jarvis, you’re a genius! Love this idea, stealing it totally. Although the olive oil is probably better for me than the cornstarch, yes?

Quiche-ing Queen — February 6, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

Wahoo! I have everything to make this for tomorrow night’s dinner! Thank you for the great recipe!

Holly — February 6, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

I made this tonight!!! I had some fresh ginger, so I shaved some in the marinade. I added snow peas, as well. I cut up a pineapple and had a salad! This was so delicious! Posted it on Facebook and Pinned it! Thanks for my weekly inspirational meal! Got to keep “my natives” from getting restless! My husband said, “the kids tore it up!” Of course, I had to pick the other one up at basketball! I ate a bowl in the car! :) Blessings to you and yours!!!

• Jessica — February 6th, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

So glad you liked it! :)

• Cheryl — February 13th, 2012 @ 7:28 am

Holly,
      Can you tell me how I can get your recipe for the salad you posted? I have my own Pinterest but dont know how to figure out the url. I am on f/b as Cheryl Garcia Marsh with a white dog in a valentines scarf as my profile pic. Thank you and I hope you get this. Cheryl

• Cheryl — February 13th, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Sorry this was to go to Jessica,

Dana B — February 7, 2012 @ 12:55 am

Looks like something my hubby would love! thx!

CouponClippingCook — February 7, 2012 @ 2:45 am

I would for sure need to go back for seconds or thirds. Looks delicious.

Jo — February 7, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Yummy, quick, easy & delicious. Thanks Jessica.

Cristy — February 7, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Hi ho, hi ho, it’s off to the grocery store I go! With shrimp on “one” and penne “two” hi ho! Hi ho hi ho hi ho. Can’t wait to taste!!

thelittleloaf — February 7, 2012 @ 9:24 am

Pasta with prawns is my favourite fallback comfort food – you can’t beat the sweet, succulent seafood and sizzling garlic! Happy Monday :-)

Dana — February 7, 2012 @ 9:44 am

My husband is a total weenie when it comes to seafood. But I bet he’d go crazy for this with steak strips!

Danielle — February 7, 2012 @ 10:41 am

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THIS WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to eat the leftovers tonight!

Jo — February 7, 2012 @ 11:30 am

Om.nom.nom. So awesome!! I pinned it!

Samantha Andersen — February 7, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

Oh, this looks so incredibly good. It looks decadent. This one is going into my Menu Plan Monday rotation. Thank you! I totally heart your blog…

Katie @ Oh Shine On — February 7, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

You read my mind. I’m totally making this tonight.

Okay… not tonight. Because I’m making pancakes for dinner. But TOMORROW night… yup, this is on my radar.

Betsy — February 7, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

This looks good but how spicy was it?! I like a little spice but not too much :)

• Jessica — February 7th, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

I didn’t think it was too spicy and I don’t love spice either. Maybe half the red pepper and add more in later if you want? That way you can control it better!

Brittany — February 7, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

I love using frozen shrimp for quick meals. Just bookmarked this!

Elizabeth — February 7, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

You are seriously hilarious. And I never comment on blogs…but seriously, you are hilarious. :-)

Erin — February 7, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

This was awesome!! Perfect weeknight dinner; prepped my shrimp before work & then put the rest together in like 15 minutes when I got home. Perfection. But your ‘One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two’ is still my FAVORITE!

Oh yeah, and you make me laugh. I check your blog each morning & laugh because you sound just like how my girlfriends & I talk to one another.

Zee — February 8, 2012 @ 5:32 am

This looks so delicious and I feel it’s calling my name! :D
    Bookmarked the recipe and I will be making this real soon!

donna — February 8, 2012 @ 10:54 am

made this last night – hubbies 50th birthday dinner (he and garth brooks- same birthday…hmmm – doesn’t mean anything but I just thought I would add that piece of news)…. everyone loved the shrimp & pasta (I am using a sprouted wheat pasta- i have read that the sprouted wheat flour digests like a veg.) plus i have made your veggie tostada – 20x’s …. love it… i have to add meat for my family! thanks

Emily — February 8, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

made the shrimp last night, served over polenta instead of pasta. Fantastic! I’ve never commented on a blog but this delicious super simple recipe necessitated a comment. Thanks and keep the good stuff coming!

Dionne — February 8, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

I was searching for something special (and spicy) to make my hubby for our 1st Valentine’s Day dinner as a married couple and boy am I glad you posted this up. We Trinidadians are crazy about spicy food so I know he’s going flip for this one. A little Tiramisu for dessert and my world will be complete. Thanks for the idea hun, you’re the best.

Amy — February 8, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

This was DELICIOUS! I ran across it on pintrest (of course haha) and made it for dinner for me and 3 friends tonight! They ate it up in a heartbeat! Love this recipe – definitely will be making again!

Chelsea — February 8, 2012 @ 11:13 pm

I recently went back to eating seafood after being a strict vegetarian for 11 years. So glad I fell off the band wagon when I did. This is definitely making an appearance in my dinner repertoire!

Nikki — February 9, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

I’ve got my shrimp marinating right now! Stumbled upon this little gem and realized I had everything needed. Cannot wait to try it, thank you so much!

Laura — February 9, 2012 @ 11:26 pm

I’m making this tonight!! I’m so excited. Can I post it to my blog with credit to you and link to this?

ashleyp — February 10, 2012 @ 11:47 am

This is excellent!! I made it last night, and it will definitely be in my regular rotation now. I’ve stopped reading a lot of food related/healthy living blogs because the content just didn’t mean anything to me, but your website is definitely one I’ll always check!!

David — February 10, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

This looks amazing! Unfortunately Im allergic to dairy, do you think this would work without the parmesan cheese?

Karriann — February 11, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

The dish looks stunning. I can’t wait to have this for dinner when weekend comes!

“Spice it Up”

Anne T Anne — February 11, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

just tried this ~ very yummy. I will definitely make it again and will also try with chicken for the hubby who is not a seafood eater!

Christina Carlton — February 13, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

I hate to wait a week before the seafood dept got in the right shrimp. Even then the torture of having to wait for them to defrost almost killed me. Great thing is that the bag was only 12oz for the shrimp, so I rationalized that it wouldn’t hurt me to get 2 bags!!

Lacy — February 13, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

I’ll be honest, as I was cooking the shrimp I thought, “there’s no way this sauce will cover the penne and taste good”. Wow! I was wrong! Such simple ingredients and awesome taste! This will be a weekly go to! Thanks for sharing.

Elinor — February 14, 2012 @ 10:23 am

I made this last night and we were OBSESSED!! Stirring in that cheese at the end made it so thick and delicious! The BF was loving it. I bought the frozen bag of Trader Joe’s “:seafood medley” and it was shrimp, scallops, and calamari and it was just so good. Will be making it quite often!!! THANKS!

TAMMY — February 21, 2012 @ 1:00 am

This looks delish! We will be definitely be trying this one.

Ellen — February 21, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

I made this for my boyfriend last night and we both LOVED IT! And brace yourself…I served asparagus on the side :)

Judy Maston — March 4, 2012 @ 10:19 am

This was wonderful and so easy and so fast! Can’t wait to have it again. Thought I would try it with chicken too. LOVED IT.

Meesh — March 12, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

I’m drinking WINE while making this!!!!!!! Happy Monday

Michelle — March 15, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

Found on Pinterest and I am making it for the second time : ) my husband and I love this dish! Always have everything on hand and it’s a snap to whip up! My fav go to dish from now on : ) thank you!

Hannah — March 24, 2012 @ 2:41 am

This is, hands down, the best dinner I have made in a long time. I only used a tablespoon of oil and used three cups of pastas and sprinkled a bit of parsley in the sauce. Dang it, now I want it again. Right now.

lindsay — April 1, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

THIS IS DELICIOUS! I made it for Valentine’s Day dinner and it was to die for! Then I whipped it up again tonight, delicious. My newest go to recipe

Alyssa — April 22, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

I adore your blog and your recipes and this is the first one I’ve made. HUGE hit with the boyfriend who is a gigantic shrimp fan. Definitely will be made again!

Emily — April 30, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Just made this and mmmmmm great flavor. I omitted the pasta and instead added half shrimp, half scallops and let marinade. After about an hour I poured some of the marinade into my wok and added a handful of sliced mushrooms, sauteed that till half cooked then added the shrimp and scallops for a few minutes. The heat from the red pepper flakes is absolutely perfect. Love!

Crysta — May 19, 2012 @ 7:13 pm

I’m on a low carb diet which means no pasta of any kind BUT I substituted the pasta for broccoli and made it a stir fry type dish and my boyfriend and I LOVED it. Perfect combo of spicy and sweet and will be made again many more times.

amanda — June 11, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

THIS. IS. SO. GOOD. I just put the shrimp in the marinade…this is the third time I’m making it. however, those times I didn’t let the shrimp marinade, but it still tasted amazing! so tonight I expect even MORE flavor. this is so easy and this time eyeballed the amounts. tastes great with the whole grain pasta too.