On this fine Friday morning, I’d like to bring you breakfast in bed.

Breakfast – in the form of carby bread and um… chocolate! – should make up for the fact that I’ve been gallivanting on the sunny shores of Florida this entire week and have been somewhat MIA from this world of the internets. Blame the tequila.

I’ll even bring you a side of butter!

Like, butter that can be eaten with a spoon.

Oh yes, there IS that sort of thing.

Sound good?

You know how there are “those” people… who don’t really love super sweet chocolate stuff or pastries or desserts or whatever? Yeah yeah, you might be one of them, I KNOW. Buuuuut these are totally for them. Or you.

They are chocolatey enough to be chocolatey but not overly sweet that your teeth hurt for breakfast. And I guess you COULD eat them with dessert too, warm and soft and covered with ice cream or some kind of syrup and maybe even fruit.

Or you could just eat that butter for breakfast since that seems, uh… totally acceptable. And not weird at all.

Cocoa Buttermilk Breakfast Biscuits with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Butter

[slightly adapted from my cranberry biscuits which were slightly adapted from bon appetit]

makes 12-15 biscuits

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 cup brown sugar + 2 tablespoons

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold butter, cut into pieces

1 1/4 cup buttermilk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda, and whisk until combined. Using a fork, pastry blender or your hands, add butter pieces to the flour and mix until coarse little crumbles remain. Add buttermilk and vanilla, stirring with a spoon until just combined, not overmixing. Use your hands if needed to bring the dough together.

Use  1/4 cup measure to drop batter onto a nonstick baking sheet, or press dough on a sheet of parchment paper or cutting board, then using a biscuit cutter to shape the dough into rounds. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until biscuits are set and slightly golden on the edges. Serve immediately.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Butter

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of salt

Add all ingredients in a bowl and mash until combined!

Now can someone bring me butter? I mean breakfast?

115 Responses to “Cocoa Buttermilk Breakfast Biscuits with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Butter.”

Samantha — March 16, 2012 @ 11:55 am

MMMMMMmm!!!!!!!!!! These look so good!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — March 16, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

These sounds great! Enjoy Florida! I will be there next week :)

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner — March 16, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

Oh my goodness.. that is definitely my kind of breakfast.. and that butter?! it looks out of this world good.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 16, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

and this is why i love you…chocolate biscuits?! yes please!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — March 16, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

I could have 1 or 10 of these for breakfast right now. They look so good and these ingredients go so great together.

Zesty Cook — March 16, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

Brown sugar cinnamon butter?! Seriously?! This is maybe he most decadent breakfast I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait to make it on a special occasion. Or maybe just the next time I make breakfast ;)

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac — March 16, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

OH MY. These look amazing. You just made my Friday!!!

NerdyBaker — March 16, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

I must admit, when I saw your tweet about these, I was skeptical. Once I saw them, I was a believer!

Jillian @ NewlyBread — March 16, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Woooowwww!!!!!! Need this in my life!

Margarita — March 16, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

I love this! Never heard of cocoa biscuits… It’s like a scone biscuit.

Mag — March 16, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

I’ve been copying pretty much all of your recipes into evernote for future use. Thanks for this!

Angelyn — March 16, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

These look SO. GOOD!

kirsty — March 16, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

can I just say that I love your recipes! your I shaved my asparagus for this salad is one of my all time fave salads and atleast every other day I am pinning a recipe to my to-make list. plus you always make me laugh. thank you for sharing.

Tara — March 16, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

These look delicious! I think they would be great topped with fruit, and maybe ice cream as dessert :)

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — March 16, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

Chocolate for breakfast? Totally count me in! :) Have a great weekend!

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf — March 16, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

Oh. My. Land. This is what I’m making Sunday morning after my long run. Thank you!

Jen — March 16, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

Can you post a recipe How to convince my husband to make those for me and bring them to me in bed? That would be awesome ;-)

Julia {The Roasted Root} — March 16, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

Brilliant thinking with the chocolate biscuit. Why not put chocolate in a biscuit? It totally makes sense. And the brown sugar butter…yup, definitely want a steamy hot chocolate biscuit slathered in brown sugar butter with a bowl of cookie dough ice cream! Have a great weekend :)

Jo — March 17, 2012 @ 6:08 am

Yumm, yes please !

Melissa | Cajun Sugar Pie — March 17, 2012 @ 10:06 am

Oh my! Amazing! It’s too late for breakfast, but I’m pretty sure this could be dinner.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 17, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

This recipe totally makes me want to have friends over for breakfast, sooner than later!

Katie @ OhShineOn — March 17, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

I can dig this.

Lori S H — March 17, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

Yum! Definitely drool worthy! : )

Nicole — March 17, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Uhhh…Strawberry shortcake with those biscuits!!!!

Alicia — March 17, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

This might be a silly question, but is it possible to make the batter ahead of time, like the night before, and then make the biscuits in the morning? I don’t do biscuits a lot, but I have an overnight event with some middle school girls who would LOVE these if I could pop them in the oven the next morning.

Paula {JustABiteDesserts.com} — March 18, 2012 @ 8:28 am

I think I just woke up and went to heaven! These look and sound amazing and are on my must try list!

Joy — March 18, 2012 @ 9:17 am

thankkkk youuuuu!! yummy! :)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — March 18, 2012 @ 11:20 am

I feel like the tagline for your blog should be “Using as many delicious ingredients in each recipe as humanely possible.” ;) And this recipe sounds aaaamazing, per usual.

Lisa — March 18, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

yum :)
    I dont even like butter ( I know,,, Im weird), but these sound so good!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 18, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

Make these for me? Please?

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 18, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

Brilliant!

MikeVFMK — March 18, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

You make food look good. Your breakfast biscuits look amazing!! Another winner.

Barbi — March 18, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

yum. made these tonight. they are delish! will be having for breakfast with strawberries and milk.

Jade @ Maids — March 19, 2012 @ 4:38 am

Wow! you always amaze me with your work, very nice. its perfect for
    my biscuits craving hihi!

Jazzy — March 19, 2012 @ 11:02 am

I’m going to have to make these in the morning for my boys:D

Jazzy — March 19, 2012 @ 11:03 am

Hey Alica I would love to know that question too. I might make it tonight and put in fridge and than bake and see how it does.

Lisa — March 19, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

Ok Jess, as usual in my haste to taste, I misread an ingredient and had to improvise, which in baking is usually a recipe for disaster (no pun intended!) But I think I may have salvaged them. They came out more like a big, fluffy cookie and melted the tipping and brushed on while they were still warm. All I can say is YUM! Check out pic on my Pinterest page (and tell me what you think of my George Clooney puece). Cheers!

Saya at Saya's Soulful — March 19, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

Looks yummy… that brown sugar cinnamon butter is a great idea!

brandi — March 20, 2012 @ 10:04 am

i make a LOT of biscuits, but i have never made chocolate. this is a very good – but bad – idea.

Becca Chatterton — March 21, 2012 @ 3:54 am

Is there anything I could use to replace the buttermilk? My family had dairy allergies, and I would really like to make these cause they look amazing. :)

Javelin Warrior — March 23, 2012 @ 1:18 am

Chocolate buttermilk biscuits! Somebody pinch me because either I’m dreaming or just arrived in heaven! I am featuring this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections. It’s a pleasure following your creations…

Valerie — April 7, 2012 @ 10:50 am

I want to make these. Very, very soon! They look incredible!

Gretta — April 23, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Really neat concept. Love!

Liz — July 18, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

I just made these. While they tasted amazing, the texture was not good. I have no idea how you were able to use a cookie cutter to shape them right out of the bowl. The dough was way too sticky for me to handle it, so I just made drop biscuits. I would definitely make them again, but I would knead them a bit to stiffen them so they dont fall apart. That made them not so fun to eat even though they tasted good. The brown sugar cinnamon butter is to die for!

Sarah — September 2, 2013 @ 9:53 pm

Taste wise this recipe is really good. I would probably go easy on the buttermilk as the batter needed a lot of flour when I kneaded it out onto the work surface so it didn’t stick to my fingers or the cutter. I probably would have just used 1 cup or possibly 3/4 cup instead. If you aren’t going to make the brown sugar/cinnamon butter then I’d say add just a little more brown sugar to give it a little more sweetness. I baked my biscuits in a cast iron skillet and added an egg yolk wash to the tops before I baked them. The egg yolk wash gave the biscuits a little bit of a crunch.

A tip I learned about baking biscuits: dip your biscuit cutter in flour before cutting your biscuits so they don’t stick to it.

• Jim Price — December 23rd, 2013 @ 10:21 am

Thanks, Sarah, your comment will help a lot to improve.

piapest — September 25, 2014 @ 12:15 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you used natural cocoa or dutch processed prefer. I’m assuming it is natural, but thought I’d double check since your recipe has more baking powder baking soda. Thanks!

1. Pingback: inspired : 3.18.12 | beka stays

2. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Elizabeth Ashleigh

3. Pingback: Faith Friday + Chocolate Biscones « Kids in the Sink

4. Pingback: Lemon-Sugar Pull-Apart Bread «

5. Pingback: Baked Goodies Round Up – 5 to Try! | Ninth Street Notions

6. Pingback: Cocoa Buttermilk Biscuits | Irush Design

7. Pingback: Chocolate Biscuits « wafoodie

8. Pingback: Nutella Biscuit Recipe | Drop Biscuit Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

9. Pingback: Cheer Ktchen - Cocoa Buttermilk Breakfast Biscuits with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Butter

10. Pingback: Monday Update

11. Pingback: I'd Rather Be Eating - Lifestyle & Fashion Blog about Life's Little Details | A Dash of Details

12. Pingback: Biscuits: For Breakfast AND Dessert! | Broke, Fabulous & Hungry.

13. Pingback: 23 Next-Level Biscuits You Need To Try |

14. Pingback: Family, Food, and Fun | Family Scribe Blog

15. Pingback: あなたが食べてみる必要がある23の次のレベル・ビスケット | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

16. Pingback: あなたが食べてみる必要がある23の次のレベル・ビスケット | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見!