Well heeeey springtime.

I’m so glad you’re here.

Mainly because it means I do a whole slew of things like blast Kenny Chesney for hours on end, burn candles that smell like flowers until I remember (too late) that they make me want to vomit, go on long walks and SWEAR I’m going to walk like this every.afternoon! since it’s so pretty outside and take lots of pictures of weeds because, well… it’s spring and weeds sort of look like flowers when you haven’t seen flowers in eight months or whatever.

And things are just… different. They look prettier and smell tastier and act happier and feel all brand new and stuff.

But what this whole first week of spring really made me want to do? If I’m being entirely myself and honest and the open book that I tend to be?

It made me want to…

…consume a large amount of alcoholic beverages.

Not like LARGE large, as in I-don’t-want-to-remember-that-stupid-thing-I-did-last-night, but like VARIETY large, as in this warm breeze and sun on my shoulders and 8PM light would be the perfect setting for a tall, frosted glass of OMG thistastessogoodgivememorenow.

For days I’ve been craving something cold and icy with a hint of rum while watching the sun set. But I’ve also been thinking nonstop about a margarita on an outside porch with blue corn chips and endless guacamole. Oh but I’ve also been dreaming of mojitos patio-side in the early evening with some grilled fish tacos. And then there is our classic Malibu + cranberry while laying on the beach at like, 10AM. Oh and cold, cold beer? I could do that too. Or ice cold pinot grigio after a super hectic Monday? Gimme.

But uh, oh… look at that. WE CAN DO THAT TONIGHT! The whole ice cold pinot grigio after a hectic Monday thing? It can totally happen for happy hour and then continue on into dinner when you make this roasted chicken. Because Mondays usually stink… and I can’t think of anything better than making them enticing… with wine and a delicious meal…. and wine.

Springtime Honey Garlic Roast Chicken Skillet

serves about 4

3-4 pound roasting chicken, giblets removed

1 sweet onion, sliced

1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, halved

15 asparagus spears, halved & stems removed

1 pint cremini mushrooms

3 bulbs of garlic

4 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup honey + 1 tablespoon

salt + pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onions and asparagus, tossing with a few pinches each of salt and pepper. Add in mushrooms and 1 tablespoon olive oil, tossing with your hands to combine. Drizzle in 1 tablespoon of honey and toss again. Take each head of garlic and slice off the top, and using your hands rub/peel away most of the outside paper. Drizzle each head with olive oil, then wrap separately cut-side up in a small square of aluminum foil. (For a more descriptive post on roasting garlic, click HERE.)

Pat chicken completely dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper, then rub each side with 1/2 tablespoons each of honey. Finish by coating the entire chicken with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Place chicken breast-side up in the center of a large cast-iron skillet. Place vegetables in the skillet around the chicken, stuffing a few underneath if needed. Place foil covered garlic bulbs on top of vegetables. Roast chicken for about 85-90 minutes. Once finished, remove and let sit for 10-20 minutes, then cut.

While chicken is resting, combine leftover honey and 1-2 heads of roasted garlic in a bowl. Mash and mix until combined, then use to coat vegetables or spread on chicken.

Notes: you don’t need to use a skillet – any sort of roasting pan would also work. I also suggest buying thicker asparagus because they are VERY roasted after being in the oven that long. If you don’t want them as crisp, toss in a bit of olive oil and add halfway through cooking.

This Monday totally rocks.

114 Responses to “Springtime Honey Garlic Roast Chicken Skillet.”

Alison — March 26, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

Amazing. I love how versatile chicken is. As soon as Lent is over (not buying meat for Lent) I’m cookin’ up some chicken…

Julia — March 26, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

I love all your recipes, but your chicken dishes are always a raging success in our house with my husband and kid! Can’t wait to try this one too!

Emily C. — March 26, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

How did you know that I was planning to roast a chicken tonight?! It is like you read my mind! Do you think green beans would work in place of asparagus?

• Jessica — March 26th, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

Definitely! We are obsessed with roasted green beans.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 26, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

Can I come over for dinner? ;)

• Jessica — March 26th, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

Please!

Emily C. — March 26, 2012 @ 2:07 pm

I have to say I adore your blog!!! You remind me of me.. and your husband sounds like mine, if you replace NASCAR with hunting/fishing. :) Any recommendations for easy fitness tips at home?

Janelle — March 26, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

I have all of these ingredients at home — definitely going to make this!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 26, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

love all of the goodies that you packed into that skillet! Yum! And…yay for springtime!!

Jill — March 26, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Covered or not??

• Jessica — March 26th, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

Not covered.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — March 26, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

Wow – this definitly is “Springy”! Roasting chickens scares me…I’ve only done it once and need to have at it again.

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — March 26, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

I adore roast chicken!! The vegetables look so gorgeous!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — March 26, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth! I am totally lovin’ this spring time weather, perfect temperatures, beautiful flowers, fresh spring produce, long days, and the perfect weather for sittin’ on a porch sippin’ a nice cold drank! ; )

Julia {The Roasted Root} — March 26, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

This looks like the type of meal I want every night for dinner!

Em (Wine and Butter) — March 26, 2012 @ 6:31 pm

How could anyone NOT like super crispy roasted vegetables!? This looks so good Jess!

jackie — March 26, 2012 @ 7:34 pm

YUMMMMMM…sign me up! :)

Dana B — March 26, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

I swear sometimes it’s like you’re reading my mind. I think of brownies. poof! here they are. granola? poof! etc :) and now roast chicken in a cast iron skillet! looks awesome!! Question. I’ve been known to roast garlic cloves on the stove top and eat them straight, but have not cooked the bulb as you did here. Do you squeeze it onto the veggies and chicken??? or eat it straight? thx!

Erin — March 26, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

I tried this tonight.. my skin started burning just 20 min in. I followed the directions exactly any tips?

• Jessica — March 26th, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

Yikes.. burnt! That is really quick for it to burn too. Did you measure out the honey then do the oil after? I’m not really sure what to suggest, but when I make my brown sugar roasted chicken the skin definitely gets darker. LIke this: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/07/brown-sugar-butter-roasted-chicken/
      I think it depends on if you want to eat the skin or not – if not, don’t worry about it burning? If so, maybe try lowering the temp of your oven and cooking it longer?

Mindy@FindingSilverLinings — March 26, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Gah! I love you for posting a new chicken recipe for me! I get bored with chicken.

Amie — March 26, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

This looks FANTASTIC! I can’t tell you how much I’m diggin’ roasting things right now, and this is the perfect way to spice up a standard roast chicken.

Plus – I can totally empathize with your desire to consume wonderful beverages outdoors. I truly think there is nothing better than a margarita, chips, and guacamole while sitting on a patio. Perfection.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — March 26, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

oh my gosh it looks AMAZINGGG I love a roasted chicken…it is NOTHING like plain ole grilled chicken…so much more flavor and the garlic bulb. oh. my

kita — March 26, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

There is something so welcoming about the longer evenings and warm setting sun. A cold drink with a little rum may just make it perfect. This chicken looks like a great supper – and those little bombs of roasted garlic are awesome.

Brittany R. — March 26, 2012 @ 11:00 pm

I am looking forward to trying this recipe! One thing I have learned that is an AMAZING trick for a super moist roasted chicken is that when resting, let it rest upside down. It allows all the juices that dripped down off the breast while cooking to move back into the breast while waiting to be devoured. YUM!!!!

Stephanie — March 26, 2012 @ 11:45 pm

Ah.maz.ing. This is totally going to be dinner tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day… :)

"QueenBee" — March 27, 2012 @ 3:41 am

This sounds so yummy with the honey glaze and the roasted garlic. Would this work in the crock-pot? Would love to drop this in the pot in the morning and have all day to work on other projects. Then have a really great dinner for my beekeeper husband. I’ve been cooking so many years it’s nice to find a new recipe to shake things up.

sil — March 27, 2012 @ 7:06 am

your chicken recipes save my life. i made this last night and like all the others, it was incredible. i’m so glad you forced me to roast a chicken.

Paige Shannon — March 27, 2012 @ 7:06 am

Do you think you could use chicken breasts – bone in or boneless? Thanks – this looks delicious!!!

• Jessica — March 27th, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Yes, you could probably use either, but I’d probably sear them in the skillet first and the reduce the cooking time to 25-30 minutes or so.

• Paige Shannon — March 27th, 2012 @ 7:11 am

Thanks so much.

megan — March 27, 2012 @ 7:07 am

Oh yea…I am making this. Tomorrow. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Lynne Knowlton — March 27, 2012 @ 8:40 am

I can’t wait to make this chicken and then consume copious quantities of spring time cool beverages. You started a new craving. Oh no. Oh yes. The best.
    Lynne xx

Mairen — March 27, 2012 @ 8:58 am

I made this (you conveniently posted it when I had a chicken defrosting!) and it was really amazing. I do have a few questions though…
    The skin on my chicken came out black and paper-y. I coated it with oil… did I just not use enough?

Also, my veggies were SOAKED in juices… are your photos just post draining, or something?

(This is my first comment. I’m obsessed with your blog, it’s my favorite recipe place)

• Mairen — March 27th, 2012 @ 9:02 am

I normally cook at 350 degrees for 90 minutes and it comes out just fine… should I just switch back to the to help with the burning?

• Jessica — March 27th, 2012 @ 10:03 am

Thanks Mairen! Yes, you could try a little more oil – also, I didn’t have much juice in my skillet but I think that the amount might differ with each chicken?

• Jessica — March 27th, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Oh and you could definitely try switching back to the 350! I always do mine at 425, but my oven isn’t the best.

Charlie — March 27, 2012 @ 9:55 am

Hi Jessica:
    This sounds so good!
    Especially with the roasted garlic (only way I can eat garlic).

I would go sans the alcohol. I’m not a big fan, though I do love to cook with it.

KIM — March 27, 2012 @ 10:12 am

Made it last night, so delicious! I’m about to eat some leftovers for lunch and I can’t wait. The flavor is so good!

April — March 27, 2012 @ 10:41 am

Gorgeous and I LOVE the whole head of roasted garlic on the plate. Definitely going to do that the next time I roast a chicken. Thanks! :)

Shelley — March 27, 2012 @ 11:36 am

I would die to enjoy this on our porch this evening, alongside your fresh strawberry margaritas, but alas, it will have to wait until next week, as I’ve already planned & shopped for all of this week’s dinners, which may or may not include 6 or 7 of your other delicious recipes! =] Thanks!

Andrea {From the BOokshelf} — March 27, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

This Monday totally does rock! (ANd I want to have all those drinks and yummy eats too!)

Babs — March 27, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

Your chicken and vegetables look incredible. Not quite Spring yet in NE Washington, but coming so close I can almost taste all of the seasonal foods that I love.

Laura — March 27, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

My word I got everything but the chicken delivered in my CSA box on Monday! And I have a whole chicken in the freezer! Serendipity for the win. Buying some wine tonight and making this for dinner tomorrow night!

Hillary T — March 27, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

My skin burnt, too. I flipped the chicken half way and that solved the problem. I also turned the heat down to 400 when I flipped it. Next time I will start it breast side down and flip half way through so the breast side ends up on top and lookin’ pretty! I added the asparagus the last 30 min and they were perfect for us. I also put the skillet on the stove and heated for a few minutes to reduce the excess juice after we took the chicken out to carve it. It was all very tasty! Yum! I love one dish meals!

Noble Pig - Cathy — March 27, 2012 @ 11:24 pm

If you didn’t live in PA I’d send you some of my Pinot Gris..it’s so good icy cold and would be the perfect match. Dumb state alcohol laws!

Martaº — March 28, 2012 @ 3:30 am

This recipe is awesome, I will make this weekend! thanks for your recipes ;-)

BR!

Amy — March 29, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

I made this tonight and posted it on my blog with all the credit to you, because adding that honey had such a flavor impact on the chicken! Loved it! Thanks so much!

Karen — April 2, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Made this last night – it was absolutely amazing! My BF, who is never effusive about food (a “pretty good” from him translates to spectacular) literally went on and on – his only complaint was that he was too full to eat more! A friend posted this recipe on her FB page and I am so glad she did – didn’t know about your blog before this, but just subscribed. Oh, and thoroughly enjoyed some delicious chilled Chardonnay as well :)

Jenny — April 3, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

I made this and loved it!! So easy- thanks for a great recipe :)

Laura @ GotChocolate — April 8, 2012 @ 10:16 am

Wow, never knew to roast garlic like that. Thanks for the tip! :D

What was for dessert? CHOCOLATE??? HAHAHAHA! :)

Brittnee — April 20, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Made this two nights ago and it was really delicious! I loved roasting the chicken in the skillet and having the vegetables roast too. I nixed the mushrooms and forgot to throw in the aspargus towards the end. I plan to make this again soon!

Bracha — March 4, 2014 @ 4:08 pm

a truly delicious chicken. i am generally not a chicken person, but when i got home late one night last week, chicken was the only think in my fridge. tried this recipe and was blown away. its the type of recipe that you don’t want to eat dessert afterwards because the taste in your mouth is so good. i left out the potatoes because i am trying to stay away from carbs. i also didn’t use mushrooms because i didn’t have any on hand, and i threw in some red bell peppers. definitely am going to make again.

1. Pingback: Springtime Honey Garlic Roast Chicken Skillet. | How Sweet It Is | Which Wine Is Sweet

2. Pingback: Springtime Honey Garlic Roast Chicken Skillet. | How Sweet It Is - pinot-grigio

3. Pingback: Roast Chicken First Timer