Ohhh dinner. I can’t even take you.

Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale I howsweeteats.com

We have, like noodles… covered in even more starch. It’s fabulous. It’s creamy. It’s sort of sweet but in that really realllllly good way.

And a bit cheesy too.

Basically everything I want in life besides a little bacon sprinkled on top.

Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale I howsweeteats.com

I’m on a biiiiiig sweet potato kick right now.

Oh! And the green stuff? Yeah. I know. Weird. Fancy meeting you here.

Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale I howsweeteats.com

Now please go away.

But if you remember, kale falls into the category of about three vegetables I can stand. Which makes me and my life even weirder.

Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale I howsweeteats.com

And I’m obsessed with roasting it after it’s been smothered with toasted sesame oil, which I took from that amazing coconut kale salad of Heidi’s that I’ve been eating at least once a week for well over 6 months. As the only dish that’s successfully made me consume kale in a way other than chip form, I bow down to the combination. And now… smashed in between these sweet potato-quenched noodles, it’s just like… the best flavor marriage EVER. A complete happy accident. I’m now the weirdest.

But at least dinner is served.

Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale I howsweeteats.com

Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale

[kale in the pasta idea came from rachael ray]

serves 2-4

1 large sweet potato, cooked and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 shallot, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1 tablespoon flour

1 1/2 cups skim milk

1/2 cup freshly grated romano cheese + 2 tablespoons

1/2 pound whole wheat pasta (preferably noodles)

1 head of kale, leaves torn from stems

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, add kale, sesame oil, 2 tablespoons romano cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat with your hands and massage kale for 1-2 minutes, until flavors are distributed. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, tossing 1-2 times while cooking, until crispy. Remove and set aside.

Bring pasta water to a boil and prepare pasta according to directions.

While kale is cooking, heat olive oil and butter oven medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add in shallots and garlic with a pinch of salt, cooking for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Increase heat to medium and add in flour, whisking constantly to create somewhat of a roux. Once the roux has turned golden, add in mashed sweet potato and milk, whisking to combine. It will take a few minutes of whisking to bring the mixture together, and it’s okay if a few small bits of potato remain. Let the mixture come to a simmer in order for it to thicken a bit, but be careful because it thickens quickly. If it becomes too thick, simply add a little milk to thin it out. Reduce heat to low and stir in romano, remaining salt and pepper.

Once pasta is finished cooking, add noodles directly into the sweet potato sauce. Let sit for a few minutes, then transfer everything to a large bowl. Top with crispy kale and toss to distribute.

Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale I howsweeteats.com

We definitely deserve chocolate after all of those vegetables.

153 Responses to “Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale.”

Erin @ she cooks, she gardens — December 11, 2012 @ 3:55 am

I love this! It looks and sounds delish (and not at all weird). :)

Lindsay Lohmeier — January 6, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

Making right now & smells sooooo good – can’t wait! I am addicted to Kale chips so this is a fun way to eat.

katy — March 4, 2013 @ 9:55 am

Made this over the weekend. I was scared it would be really hard and not taste right. However, it was relatively easy and delicious. Thank you for all of your wonderful recipes!

NIcole — April 15, 2013 @ 6:17 pm

This was delicious! Thanks for the amazing recipe. I’ve never been much of a creamy pasta person, but this has become a new favorite!

emily W. — June 10, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

Ack!! How did I forget about this?! I have been meaning to try it since you posted it. All I have to do is buy sweet potatoes. You rock.

Bill — July 29, 2013 @ 9:55 am

Wow! I love sweet potatoes and kale and this looks like an incredible dish! Wish I had thought of it! :-) Awesome post!

emily W. — September 18, 2013 @ 7:29 pm

Our 11mo loved this. Including the kale. My husband? Not so much. Although he did try a couple of bites, even one with kale crumbs on it, to oblige our 4yo and 2yo. Just thought I’d pass that along. I’ve been so excited to try this! And I thought it was awesome, too. Thanks!

Tara — January 16, 2014 @ 12:46 am

I just served this at a dinner party and it was amazing! I added cashew encrusted scallops. Warm, earthy, and comforting! Thanks for the great recipe…I’ll be making it again!

1. Pingback: Sweet potato cream pasta with crispy kale |

2. Pingback: Porcino, Hillsborough Cheese Co & crunchy kale make a local pizza | Triangle Localista

3. Pingback: Happy Weekend | Lovestruck Social Events

4. Pingback: Eats of the Week: Trader Joe's Chocolate | Nicole's Nutrition

5. Pingback: Lime Lover’s Nachos « 321delish

6. Pingback: Yum Alert: Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale | The Luxury Spot

7. Pingback: Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale | The Spiffy Cookie

8. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday… Sweet Potato Cream Spagetti with Kale and Bacon « You Make Me Swoon

9. Pingback: Pumpkin Cream Pasta with Crispy Pumpkin & Radicchio | firenzemom

10. Pingback: Favorite Pins of the Week: Tasty Kale Recipes - - Health.com

11. Pingback: Favorite Pins of the Week: Tasty Kale Recipes | Augusta News | Augusta GA Local News

12. Pingback: Pasta with Kale, Kalamata Olives, Cranberries, Toasted Garlic & Feta | Two Peas & Their Pod

13. Pingback: » Pumpkin Donut Holes with Cream Cheese Drizzle & Pecans

14. Pingback: Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips « 321delish

15. Pingback: Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crispy Kale » Cape Riverfront Market

16. Pingback: Kim’s Pumpkin Cream Pasta with Crispy Pumpkin & Radicchio | GastroCasa Cooking at Home for Fun

17. Pingback: Thanksgiving Menu: Veggies First & Then Dessert! - designing "the life"

18. Pingback: Pumpkin Cream Pasta with Crispy Pumpkin & Radicchio « Firenze Mom

19. Pingback: The Almighty Sweet Potato | Party Over Hair

20. Pingback: Sweet Potato Pasta with Kale « Veggie Tales with Ash

21. Pingback: Sweet Potato Cream Sauce with Kale Chips «

22. Pingback: Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Crunchy Kale. | How I Ate My Box

23. Pingback: Favorite Pins of the Week: Tasty Kale Recipes topic | My Blog

24. Pingback: 13 Recipes That Make Us Want To Quit Our Day Job and Just Eat | Sous Style

25. Pingback: Brynteg Farm » Sweet Potato Recipes

26. Pingback: Mmm Monday | Diary of a Modern Yogini

27. Pingback: 30 Days of Meal Planning: October | Happily Wed Happily Fed

28. Pingback: Foods by Color: Sweet Potatoes

29. Pingback: Fresh Finds | Pretty & Fresh | Pretty & Fresh

30. Pingback: Creamy Sweet Potato Pasta with Crispy Kale – finding time for cooking