There are many things in this life that I will never understand.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

Girls wearing straight up padded fancy bras to the gym and the real-life breakup of Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams name a few, but one that utterly blows my mind is that there are people in this universe who don’t agree that the combo of chocolate and peanut butter can work miracles.

I just don’t get why we can’t see eye to eye.

I will never… comprehend. Makes no sense in my pea-sized brain.

Remember the days when you needed to run to the store to grab peanut butter and actually could find… peanut butter? Like, not peanut butter combined with chocolate or honey or almonds or raisins or bacon?

I barely do.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

I don’t know when this crazy trend of flavored peanut butter started, but I do remember going to the store in my youth and seeing actual PLAIN peanut butter on the shelves and only that. And I certainly remember the day I discovered the souped up goods: about three weeks out from my first fitness competition, I spied both white chocolate wonderful and dark chocolate dreams in my local market and just HAD to buy them, even though I couldn’t consume them for nearly 21 days or some ridiculous amount of time like that. Pure torture. Let’s just say that the morning after that show, I consumed about half of a jar in record time then almost yacked my brains out while teaching spinning.

It was totally worth it though. I still live and die for both of those flavors and if they are missing from my pantry I lose my head.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

But whatever.

I added cookie dough to my own peanut butter so feel free to punch me in the face. That’s sort of how I felt when I was folding dough into the creamy contents of my food processor… just… so… wrong. But right? While we don’t have a world class recipe on our hands here, it sure beats paying $16 for a small jar of ground peanuts stuffed with dried fruit and chocolate chips. Right right? It’s simple, it’s quick, it’s fun and it’s fabulous eaten with only a spoon.

…I should know.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter

[cookie dough came from the cookie dough pb cups]

2 cups unsalted peanuts

for cookie dough:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons flour (I used coconut flour!)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

In a small saucepan, heat butter until melted. Whisk in brown sugar until dissolved, then let it bubble for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk vanilla extract. Let sit and cool completely, about 20 minutes. Stir in powdered sugar, salt and flour, then once mixed, add in mini chocolate chips and then place in the fridge to set for 20-30 minutes.

Add peanuts to the bowl of your food processor. Pulse and process until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Taste and if desired, add a bit of salt. Remove “dough” from the fridge and crumble with your hands. Fold as much of the dough you’d like into the peanut butter, then store in a seal-tight container. It is usually recommended that homemade nut butters be refrigerated – depending on how quickly we consume them (like this one), I will often let them sit out for a week and they are fine.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter I howsweeteats.com

That is all.

138 Responses to “A Quick and Easy Treat: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter.”

Amie @ Dash of Delight — April 15, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

How on earth did you think of this? It sounds like something I imagine Heaven serving with every meal. I’m thinking of putting this on some simple french toast to make it even more fabulous!

Tia — April 15, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Have lurked for ages, have laughed and smiled and am pretty sure we are cut from the same cloth!! (s*** that sounds creapy!! Not meant 2 be!!) U love baking…. me too. let’s say we both have a slight lean to the more sarcastic and “tell it like it is” way of life. Your man eats like a horse and mine has an obscene obsession with mcvities choc digestives (family sized packs!! After FULL MEAL!!!!) that he considers a bedtime snack! Home made cake or shop bought biscuit?? 4 him it’s shop bought every time coz if it’s home made but his mum didn’t make it, he’s not eating it!! Fussy Men with strange eating habits?? I share your pain!! Thanks for allowing me to realise it’s not just me!!

stephanie@cookinfanatic — April 15, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

You are a genius. THAT is all. Holy crap this looks good girl!!!

Em (Wine and Butter) — April 15, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

omg – sounds soooooooooo good!! And I cant understand those girls either, although I also sort of want to be one. IN fact, my NYE resolution last year was (well one of them was) to turn into one of those girls who wears loads of make up to the gym. Because then maybe I’d look a little less utterly awful on the treadmill….???

Erin — April 16, 2012 @ 6:59 am

I so don’t understand those girls at the gym either!! I also don’t understand the guys at the gym who have on shorts, a tank top (wife beater is usually the popular choice) and a winter hat! What is that all about?? I can’t even go to the gym because I just end up staring at people with a funny look on my face and then I realize I’m going .1mph on elliptical!

Tiffy — April 16, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Love your blog, dear! I saw this post and thought to myself, ‘I wonder if she’s tried Speculoos.’ Then I thought, ‘I wish I didn’t eat the whole jar of Speculoos because I want some now.’ Speculoos=belgian pureed cookies that looks like peanut butter, but totally isn’t. I think you should try it, and then duplicate its tastiness in a recipe :p If I’m the first person to introduce you to this, I’m so sorry. Please don’t O.D. :p http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/02/trader_joes_cookie_butter_speculoos.php if your local Trader Joe’s doesn’t have it, a Belgian grocery store should. Just try it!

Erika - The Teenage Taste — April 16, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

GENIUS GENIUS GENIUS! I’m a sucker for almost any type of fancy shmancy or plain jane peanut butter, but add cookie dough and I’ll go crazy! Yummmmm!

KitchenSisters — April 19, 2012 @ 11:09 am

Sounds so logic.. but so so good!

Jaime — April 26, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

I just wanted to say I loved your entry. Your comment about feeling free to punch you in the face is totally something I would say. I totally respect that. Thanks for making me laugh today. Oh, and thanks for yet another way for me to overindulge in peanut butter. Like I really needed another one.

Lauren Fazio — May 7, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Your blog is my fav by FAR.
    I almost died when I read you have competed before. Now your crazy concoctions and amazeballs recipes and food combos ALL MAKE SENSE!!! hehe. LOVE it.
    PS…. I will be making this butter in 4 weeks after my show :)
    PPS…. I will probably eat it all and throw up afterwards too. LOL

marla — February 3, 2013 @ 10:04 am

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

1. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter

2. Pingback: Friday favorites | Nikkilooch

3. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Overnight Oats

4. Pingback: How To Make Homemade Milk Chocolate Cashew Butter | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Yum! 50 AMAZING Peanut Butter Recipes on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking

6. Pingback: DIY food gifts in jars + free printable labels - Handcrafted Parties

7. Pingback: それがそうであるはずだった23の快適さ食物マッシュアップ | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

8. Pingback: Comfort foods has always been handy. But when it is all mashed up and in weird combinations it is much better. Some of the weird combo mashed up comfort foods | Toasting Toaster

9. Pingback: Comfort food has always been handy. But when it is all mashed up and in weird combinations it is much better. Some of the weird combo mashed up comfort foods | Toasting Toaster

10. Pingback: 23 Comfort Food Mash-Ups That Were Meant To Be | sooziQ

11. Pingback: Jeobox – 23 Comfort Food Mash-Ups That Were Meant To Be

12. Pingback: それがそうであるはずだった23の快適さ食物マッシュアップ | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見!

13. Pingback: それがそうであるはずだった23の快適さ食物マッシュアップ | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

14. Pingback: それがそうであるはずだった23の快適さ食物マッシュアップ | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!