Yesterday I had a moment.

Coconut Mango Mojitos I howsweeteats.com

I had to check a box. With pen and paper. You know, like a box that said 18-24, 25-34, etc? Pertaining to one’s age? Well this box was slightly different, and it said 20-29. I looked at it and was like… oh, 29… that’s weird. That 9 sure does look weird there. Why does 29 look so weird? I don’t like looking at 29. I’m feeling uncomfortable.

Hmmm. Hold the phone. I am 29. This is weird. It’s so weird that I can’t stop saying it’s weird. What’s happening?

I’ve never been one to think or ever care about ages, but then I saw this 29 and seriously, what.the.heck. ????  It threw me off a little bit. Was I really 19 ten whole years ago? Because I’m pretty sure it feels like just yesterday that I was failing economics* and changing my major 43 times.

So I made mojitos. I had almost three. Wanted to act like I was 22 again and forget that I spent an outrageous amount of money on Benefit erase paste yesterday in order to… erase things on my face. It worked.

The mojitos, not the paste.

Coconut Mango Mojitos I howsweeteats.com

Coconut Mango Mojitos

[slightly adapted from my triple berry mojitos]

makes 1 mojito, but is easily quadrupled

6-8 fresh mint leaves

2 1/2 ounces of mint simple syrup

1 ounce of coconut rum

1 1/2 ounces of club soda

1-2 ounces of mango puree

the juice of one lime

To make the mango puree, combine 1 peeled + chopped, ripe mango in a food processor (or high speed blender) with the juice of 1 lime, and process until smooth (or at least almost smooth).

In the bottom of a glass, add 1 ounce of simple syrup and the mint leaves. Muddle with a muddler or use the clean bottom of something blunt, like a screwdriver! Add ice to the glass, and pour rum, syrup, mango puree, lime juice and club soda over top. Mix with a long spoon or knife and serve with an additional sprig of mint.

Note: depending on the sweetness of your fruit, you may want to add more/less simply syrup, so I suggest tasting as you go. Same with the rum – add more if you like your drinks strong. Malibu also makes a mango rum that you could combine with traditional coconut rum.

Coconut Mango Mojitos I howsweeteats.com

*Whoever tells you this is needed in real life is living in a house of lies.

170 Responses to “Coconut Mango Mojitos.”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — April 20, 2012 @ 7:04 am

yum that looks so refreshing! time really does fly, it’s scary!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — April 20, 2012 @ 7:06 am

I know what you mean- how is it that ten years ago I was in highschool—- I’m pretty sure it was just yesterday!
    I wish I would have had a tad more fun in college and studied a little less- you don’t get that time back, you have your whole life to be an adult! (can’t believe I’m saying that!)

Kaylie @ Skinny Muffin — April 20, 2012 @ 7:06 am

I cannot WAIT to make these. Mojitos are my absolute favorite. They are so refreshing and perfect for summer. Now, if only it were summer…

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — April 20, 2012 @ 7:10 am

mmmmm nothing like a tropical cocktail recipe to kick off the weekend! TGIF. I once had a banana coconut mojito at this small Cuban restaurant around me down in Baltimore. SO GOOD. :)

economics applies to nothing in the real world. there. i said it!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — April 20, 2012 @ 7:10 am

I’m 28, but I always want to say I’m 27. Not that I don’t like being 28. I just truly forget that I turned 28. It’s like I’ve just forgotten one birthday. I wonder what will happen in September when I go up another year … maybe I’ll suddenly think I’m 26 … ?

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 7:15 am

THIS… yes, exactly. I forget too, and I think I had just come around to remember that I was 28. Oh, but I’m not.

Debbie Rogozinski — April 20, 2012 @ 7:14 am

Girl, wait until you have to check a box for 30-39. THAT’S scary!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — April 20, 2012 @ 7:17 am

Oh man, the first time I had to pick the 30-39 box, I freaked out. I turn 32 in a couple months, and it’s strange… 10 years ago? Let’s see, I was student teaching in a racist small town in central IL and applying to hundreds of jobs in Chicago.

Now I feel old. I’ve been teaching 9 years and still feel like that awkward 15 year old stealing cans of frosting from the home ec room to eat with a spoon…

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 7:25 am

I never think of you as being 31! I always think you’re like 26 or something, ha!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 20, 2012 @ 7:17 am

my mouth is watering – I LOVE mojitos!!!!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 20, 2012 @ 7:19 am

I just bought a whole thing of mint for a recipe and was wondering what I was going to do with the leftovers. Problem solved! Thank you. And while I loved my 20s, my 30s are even more awesome. Just wait.

Becki's Whole Life — April 20, 2012 @ 7:20 am

I know, the 9 year is tough….my birthday is in two weeks and I am going to be 39….I think. I still feel like I am in my 20′s so it’s all good. It is weird though. These sound fabulous. Mango is such a great flavor and Mojitos are my absolute favorite cocktail. I love the mint simple syrup – that is great!

Brianna — April 20, 2012 @ 7:23 am

As a 27-year-old who just had a KILLER week of research and thesis method horrors, these mojitos look nothing short of PERFECT for this weekend. And since I live in MIAMI, it’s just that much more appropriate :)

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 7:25 am

You definitely deserve this.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 20, 2012 @ 7:29 am

Haha, that last line is awesome! I won’t even begin to tell you how old I am…UGH! Its just not fair. I had a mojito this past weekend and while it was good, I felt it needed more. The addition of coconut and mango sounds perfect!

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Okay, I remember how old you are and you look AT LEAST 10 years younger! You look amazing.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — April 20, 2012 @ 7:29 am

I hear the box thing will only get more depressing so enjoy being lumped in with college aged kids in that box! ;)

This looks refreshing and yummy! Can’t wait to make this for our Memorial Day cookout!

Simply Life — April 20, 2012 @ 7:30 am

haha, I got my haircut this week and the stylist started a sentence with “when we get older our hair…” – WHAT?! I’m STILL in my 20′s- how did I get in that age category to start a sentence like that?!?! Oy ve.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 20, 2012 @ 7:33 am

I am completely making these in an all mango version!

Blog is the New Black — April 20, 2012 @ 7:38 am

OMG. I need this.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 20, 2012 @ 7:42 am

Mojotos are my favorite drink and coconut and mango, of dear lord, this is pure heaven!! Making this for my Friday night treat!!!

Krystal — April 20, 2012 @ 7:42 am

The thought of being two years away from 30 is a little disconcerting, but people tell me I don’t look any older than about 20 so as long as I don’t LOOK 30, I guess I’m okay with it ;D

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — April 20, 2012 @ 7:47 am

I don’t like basic mojitos, but I think coconut and mango would make me a convert. PS, Erase Paste is amazing and lasts forever, so don’t fret. :)

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 7:49 am

Do you really love it?! I need details. I had heard great things about it, but then after I purchased it I read the reviews on makeupalley and they weren’t so great. Do you think it’s too cakey and too heavy for summer?

• Mari — April 20th, 2012 @ 8:02 am

I used to use erase paste but I didn’t love it as much as benefits “boing” concealer, I swear by the stuff. It’s a little bit lighter than the EP but still super silky and has good coverage (I would know since I went backroad school and never sleep anymore, the dark circles under my eyes are insane).

• Mari — April 20th, 2012 @ 8:02 am

* back to

• Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — April 20th, 2012 @ 8:48 am

I use it only for spot-concealing, or under my eyes when things get really bad. At least on my skin, it blends REALLY well, and don’t make powder or bronzer stick to it like other spot concealers seem to. To each her own, though! I’m pretty sure you can return it (most places) if you hate it! :)

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 11:16 am

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Mary-Where's the Zoom — April 20, 2012 @ 7:48 am

THIS post! I also failed economics: micro AND macro. I turn 30 in 2 weeks. THIRTY! Mojitos in order, stat.

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 7:49 am

Oh barf. I FORGOT that there were two kinds of economics. Thanks for reminding me.

Dani — April 20, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Happy Friday to me! My favorite cocktail (mojito) plus my other two favorite flavors coconut and mango – win win win. Thanks for your genius-ness :)

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — April 20, 2012 @ 8:08 am

Well, I would have to check the 25-34.. I deserve 2 extra mojitos for that.. No?

Maren — April 20, 2012 @ 8:18 am

I remember when I was 19 and drank 3/4 of a bottle of pre-mixed mojito…and spent the night in the bathroom. They’ve been ruined for me ever since!

p.s. One out of two c’s in my college career was macro-econ. The other was Calculus.

Cookbook Queen — April 20, 2012 @ 8:25 am

Girl, wait until you’re looking at some girl who is 22 or so and thinking to yourself, “well, I’m about the same age as her..” and then you realize you are a full 10 years older than her.

A DECADE.

Sigh, Give me one of those mojitos. Virgin of course.

krysten @mrsachwartzkitchen.blogspot.com — April 20, 2012 @ 8:31 am

Not fair to post these this early in the morning…reading as usual on the bus on my way to work. I will dream of them all.day.long. Is it 4:30 yet?

Shelley — April 20, 2012 @ 8:34 am

What I’d like to know is: where ever did you find ice cubes in your house for those lovely drinks? It looks like Mr. How Sweet was busy filling the trays up yesterday! ;)

These look delicious, & will be enjoyed by us this weekend for sure!

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Bahahahah!

Ali — April 20, 2012 @ 8:35 am

Your ice cubes look cooler because they’re from a tray…not an ice machine! Just sayin’!

Valerie — April 20, 2012 @ 8:36 am

I like how 22 reminds you of Mojitos… for me it was budlight or captains and diet rootbeer… I remember coming back from college one year and drinking a diet rootbeer and telling my mom it tasted funny… it was normal.. I was just waiting for captain’s…

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 8:38 am

Ha, I really just meant getting unreasonably drunk reminded me of age 22.

Annie — April 20, 2012 @ 8:38 am

I got some Coconut LaCroix a few weeks back, and although I’m a huge fan of all things coconut, I didn’t love it. I think I was wanting it to be a pina colada in a can or something. Anyway, I thought that it would probably be pretty darn good in place of club soda in a mojito. Maybe I’ll give it a shot this weekend.

Also, I am 27 (nearly 28!) and it pains me to think of how dangerously close 30 is. Then my brain starts spinning with questions like “Should we start thinking about having kids?” or “Shouldn’t we have started a retirement fund by now?”. Late 20s are the pits.

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 8:38 am

I’ve heard some others say that but I absolutely love coconut La Croix. Which is crazy, since I hate most carbonated beverages.

Laura — April 20, 2012 @ 8:41 am

These look delicious!

I see you filled the ice trays for this occasion…

Jordana — April 20, 2012 @ 8:44 am

I have 2 kids and I am often thinking in my head while helping with homework “You will never use this! I don’t even remember doing this! What is this crap?” But of course I can’t say it out loud because that encourages them to whine and not wanna do it even more. Sigh.. Life as a grown-up.

This looks amazing.. I’ve never had a mojito in my life, of any kind, crazy huh? I just may try this though. I like coconut rum, and I looove mango anything and have some frozen actually so I’ll have to see if that works.

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 11:16 am

I totally fear that.

Jenna — April 20, 2012 @ 8:45 am

The house of lies is right next to the other house of lies, owned and operated by the folks who tell you that pre-calculus is also essential to adulthood survival.

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 11:16 am

You are so right.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — April 20, 2012 @ 8:59 am

Girl, I turned 30 last weekend. I haven’t had to check a box yet. I fear I may need 10 of these when I do. Omg.

Catalina @ Cake with Love — April 20, 2012 @ 9:04 am

I had a coconut mango mojito in Mexico 3 weeks ago and I loved, now is one of my favorite drinks!

Hannah — April 20, 2012 @ 9:08 am

hahah i love the aside about econ

Nescett @ bananaoats — April 20, 2012 @ 9:14 am

This is so funny. I hate those boxes. I especially hate when you switch boxes. Like you used to be in one very nice box but now you’re in another very scary box. :)

Nicole @ Sweet Peony — April 20, 2012 @ 9:16 am

Guuurrrlll don’t even worry about being 29! You are SO fun & cool- I’d never guess you were 29!!!

These mojitos are gorgeous & sound fantastic! Oh, and *high five* to Shelly’s ice cube comment above- hilarious!

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 11:15 am

You are the best.

Caitlin — April 20, 2012 @ 9:25 am

I just got some Erase Paste this week and I *adore* it… I don’t adore the idea of turning 29 next week. You’re right – the 9 doesn’t look right.

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — April 20, 2012 @ 9:46 am

Great way to start the weekend, Jessica!
    I had the most trouble with being 25. 25 just sounded like I had to be so grown up and the years of being care-free and the ability to “fly by the seat of my pants” were lloooonnngggg gone.
    Ah, but who am I kidding anyway, I was never one to fly by the seat of my pants and at 25 I was married, had a toddler and another one on the way.
    But the ride has been SPECTACULAR!!

Oh, did you see the asparagus I posted on your FB wall from “My Imperfect Kitchen”? I’ve never seen PURPLE asparagus and for some reason, it made me think of you!
    Enjoy your weekend!

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Purple?! I didn’t see it! I am so confused by this timeline. A lot of times Facebook would make links as spam on the How Sweet wall and I was able to retrieve them, but now I don’t know if they are still doing that? I want to see!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — April 20, 2012 @ 9:58 am

god, I would love one of those right now. Oh wait, I mean after work…

Cookin' Cowgirl — April 20, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Mojito is my absolute favorite drink!! These sound fabulous….like a cross between a pina colada and a mojito…..is 9 in the morning too early to drink? :)

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — April 20, 2012 @ 10:03 am

I need this now. It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, right?

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 20, 2012 @ 10:05 am

Amen on the house of lies. Seriously.

Cait's Plate — April 20, 2012 @ 10:13 am

Amen to your asterisk about economics! That and math! And chemistry! And pretty much every other subject that I hated :)

Renee — April 20, 2012 @ 10:17 am

Dang. My 30th birthday is tomorrow. I am officially going to be out of that 20-29 age range. I definitely need these mojitos. Like now.

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 11:08 am

happy birthday!

Mel G — April 20, 2012 @ 10:21 am

Here’s one to file in your memory bank……. age is just a number! So pick a number that works for you and stick with it ;) I was 27 more than once…… In fact, if someone asks my dad his age he usually fires back with “oh, you want to know what NUMBER i am??” :)

(And for the record, I’ve been 32 for a few years now….ssh, dont tell!)

• Jessica — April 20th, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Hahaha!

Jenny — April 20, 2012 @ 10:24 am

You are hilarious! Your posting sounds so much like me… I am going to go out and get everything needed for these drinks tonight. Enjoy 29, I am 32 and seriously keep forgetting I am that old.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — April 20, 2012 @ 10:27 am

Coconut mango mojitos can definitely erase things off my mind too. Love how summery these are. And now I am craving for mojitos while still at work (eating breakfast)…

Lori @ RecipeGirl — April 20, 2012 @ 10:58 am

ah, to be 29 again, lol! Love mojitos of every flavor…and this one sounds totally delightful and summery.

Emily R — April 20, 2012 @ 10:59 am

These look DELICIOUS…and I wholeheartedly agree. I barely made it out of microeconomics with a C and I was totally happy with that. haha.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: of the moment {4.21.12} | The Daily Crumb

2. Pingback: What I'm Craving: Cocktails | Naturally Ella

3. Pingback: Cheers to Summer With Tasty Tropical ‘Tails | Shecky's

4. Pingback: Thirsty Thursdays :: Coconut Mango Mojito « *simple solutions

5. Pingback: Wedding Signature Cocktail Recipes | Washington DC Weddings, Maryand Weddings, Virginia Weddings :: United With Love™ :: Fresh Inspiration, Ideas and Vendors

6. Pingback: Sunset Beach Wedding

7. Pingback: Twenty Five | Life is a Red Carpet

8. Pingback: Top 5

9. Pingback: tuesday things | Inky Twin Eats

10. Pingback: Tuesday Tidbits | My Shiny Life

11. Pingback: Frosty Coconut Mojitos | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Frosty Coconut Mojitos.

13. Pingback: thirsty thursday. » Miss Cait Kelly

14. Pingback: Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia Wedding Rewind | Washington DC Weddings, Maryand Weddings, Virginia Weddings :: United With Love™ :: Fresh Inspiration, Ideas and Vendors

15. Pingback: Mojitos & Margaritas – Cosmia Magazine

16. Pingback: Last Minute Easter Brunch Ideas - The Sweetest Occasion — The Sweetest Occasion