Chewy cookies without butter? …. you don’t say.

I was skeptical.

Really skeptical.

I was scared. Or better yet: scuuuuurrrred.

But then I sampled quite a bit of dough. And my fears suddenly subsided. Weird.

What is it about coconut that makes it so… springy? Springy as in like, the season. Not as in an actual spring. You know.

Is it an Easter thing? Mother Lovett always made a coconut cake or an orange coconut cake around this time too. It must just be a life thing. Like one of those really important pieces of information that your mind collects along the way.

Either way, I don’t really care. I flip for coconut.

I had no idea if the whole I’m-out-of-butter-but-let’s-put-coconut-oil-in-cookies idea would turn out. The thought had rolled around in my brain for quite some time, but… it seemed a tad too good to be true. But I love when I’m wrong. Sort of?

These cookies came out lovely – soft and chewy, a hint of coconut, a bite of melty chocolate… and the perfect size for snack popping. I don’t discriminate when it comes to cookies – sometimes I crave thin and crispy while other times it’s soft and chewy. These = soft and chewy.

Plus, they’re obviously mini. That’s another life thing: mini things don’t count calorically. Luckily I gathered this knowledge long ago.

Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

[slightly adapted from giant rainbow cookies]

makes 40 mini cookies

3/4 cup coconut oil (measured solid), melted and slightly cooled

1 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon coconut extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2/3 cups shredded coconut

2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil and sugars. Let sit for 15 minutes. Whisk in egg, egg yolk and extracts, mixing until completely smooth. If any brown sugar chunks remain, I simply pounded them with my whisk and kept stirring! Add in 1/2 cup flour, baking soda and soda, stirring to combine. Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to bring it together. It may seem crumbly, but continue to stir and even use your hands. It will come together. Finally, fold in coconut and chocolate chips.

Take 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and roll it into a ball, placing it on a nonstick baking sheet. Place dough about 1-2 inches away from each other. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until just set. Let cool completely.

Note: you can leave out the coconut extract if desired. You can also make these as normal sized cookies.

I love cookies.

154 Responses to “Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Tyndle — May 18, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

I made these just now, actually the 2nd sheet is in the oven right now. I made them a bit too small, like more than 50, also they stayed round and plump. A bit crunchy on top, soft and chewy inside. Delicate coconut flavour mixed with a dash of chocolate. Didn’t find any coconut extract, but these still came out perfect.

Sandra — June 4, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

Just made these today and they were delicious! Perfection, in fact!

Hannah Ross — June 27, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Omg these look amazing!! I have been drooling at coconut recipes from this site so much, I finally had to go out and spend $50 on spreaded coconut, coconut milk, coconut oil, and condensed milk. The coconut bakesplosion in my kitchen cannot be contained.

Michelle — August 24, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Found your site via Google search, made the cookies, and they were delicious. Thanks for sharing.

liz — August 27, 2012 @ 9:21 am

I love these. Love! I didn’t have chocolate chips, so I made them with a ton of chopped up coconut mn’ms. They were DELICIOUS.

Katie @ Spirals & Spatulas — September 30, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I just made these and they are SO, SO good. Absolute perfection! And to think it all happened without butter!

Julie — November 10, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

I made these. They were fantastic and now I will never worry about not having butter again!

Christine — November 12, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

YUMMY!! Did not have any coconut shreds, but otherwise followed recipe to a tee. Had to keep chasing BF out of kitchen and away from the dough. Sooo good!!

Johanna — November 29, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

I have a problem with using coconut oil…my cookies don’t rise…they are flatter than pancakes! yummy but flat! Can anyone help me out here?!?!?

Marty — April 22, 2013 @ 1:35 am

I bake all the time and with cookies I always use organic butter but all I had on hand was coconut oil. Found this recipe and was skeptical at first bc I LOVE my butter but I was blown away by these cookies! The texture was perfect and my husband and mother in law said they were the best cookies they’ve ever had! I plan on using coconut oil in my chocolate chip cookies from now on! My new go to recipe!

using coconut oil — July 19, 2013 @ 9:28 am

Funnily enough, many hair care products include coconut oil, but they are also full of chemicals
    that you could do without. Vitamin E is the compound found in (virgin) coconut oil.
    The most natural moisturizing ingredient out there is plain water.

Elaine Levin — February 9, 2014 @ 2:59 pm

These cookies are delicious. However, I rolled them into balls as you stated, but they did not spread out at all when baked. They remained in round balls. They took about three more minutes to bake than stated in the recipe. Was I supposed to flatten them before baking? I will definitely make these again.

Ana — March 7, 2014 @ 11:27 am

Hi!, I can’t to use coconut oil, Anyone knows if I can use other kind of oil. Thanks.

Angela — April 29, 2014 @ 10:26 pm

Just made these tonight. I added way too much chocolate chips but I always do when I make homemade cookies. They did not want to stay together.
    However… They are fabulous!!!

1. Pingback: | Cabin Goddess

2. Pingback: Reading List — Savvy Eats

3. Pingback: gluten free healthy Easter recipe ideas — pure2raw

4. Pingback: Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | OhMyGoodyGoodness

5. Pingback: Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | Killer Bunnies, Inc

6. Pingback: Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies « Let's Spice Things Up in Vegas

7. Pingback: Bake with Me | Hoping in God

8. Pingback: The Return of the Food Blogger Bake Sale and Chewy Toasted Coconut and Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies

9. Pingback: In Search of the Perfect Cookie « cynthesizing food and fun

10. Pingback: In Search of the Perfect Cookie « cynthesizing food and fun

11. Pingback: Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chips Cookies | From the Little Yellow Kitchen

12. Pingback: Beyond Hunger | Bumble & Vine

13. Pingback: Butterless Cookies | Cookin' Up Life

14. Pingback: Coconut Muffins | Hungry Healthy Happy

15. Pingback: Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies | Lifestyle Pins

16. Pingback: What Are You Baking For The Holiday Season? | Lifestyle Pins

17. Pingback: National Cookie Day! | Barr & Table

18. Pingback: Chewy Coconut Oatmeal Cookies | Coconut Cookie Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

19. Pingback: {vegan} Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | Hungry Healthy Happy

20. Pingback: some food I’ve been eating | Natalie Needs a Napkin

21. Pingback: Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

22. Pingback: Saturday morning memories |

23. Pingback: Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies | Tracey's Culinary Adventures