Chewy cookies without butter? …. you don’t say.

I was skeptical.

Really skeptical.

I was scared. Or better yet: scuuuuurrrred.

But then I sampled quite a bit of dough. And my fears suddenly subsided. Weird.

What is it about coconut that makes it so… springy? Springy as in like, the season. Not as in an actual spring. You know.

Is it an Easter thing? Mother Lovett always made a coconut cake or an orange coconut cake around this time too. It must just be a life thing. Like one of those really important pieces of information that your mind collects along the way.

Either way, I don’t really care. I flip for coconut.

I had no idea if the whole I’m-out-of-butter-but-let’s-put-coconut-oil-in-cookies idea would turn out. The thought had rolled around in my brain for quite some time, but… it seemed a tad too good to be true. But I love when I’m wrong. Sort of?

These cookies came out lovely – soft and chewy, a hint of coconut, a bite of melty chocolate… and the perfect size for snack popping. I don’t discriminate when it comes to cookies – sometimes I crave thin and crispy while other times it’s soft and chewy. These = soft and chewy.

Plus, they’re obviously mini. That’s another life thing: mini things don’t count calorically. Luckily I gathered this knowledge long ago.

Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

[slightly adapted from giant rainbow cookies]

makes 40 mini cookies

3/4 cup coconut oil (measured solid), melted and slightly cooled

1 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon coconut extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2/3 cups shredded coconut

2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil and sugars. Let sit for 15 minutes. Whisk in egg, egg yolk and extracts, mixing until completely smooth. If any brown sugar chunks remain, I simply pounded them with my whisk and kept stirring! Add in 1/2 cup flour, baking soda and soda, stirring to combine. Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to bring it together. It may seem crumbly, but continue to stir and even use your hands. It will come together. Finally, fold in coconut and chocolate chips.

Take 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and roll it into a ball, placing it on a nonstick baking sheet. Place dough about 1-2 inches away from each other. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until just set. Let cool completely.

Note: you can leave out the coconut extract if desired. You can also make these as normal sized cookies.

I love cookies.

153 Responses to “Mini Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin — April 4, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

This is just my kind of recipe. Love how you’ve used coconut to flavor the cookies in place of butter :)

charity — April 4, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

Hey Jessica, quick question for you. Did you measure the solidified cocunut oil first then melt it? Or did you melt it and then measure it? Just want to make sure I do it right. I’ve made some great cookies with light olive oil (don’t get the olive taste that way) so I am excited to try coconut oil. Thanks!

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

Oh excellent question – I should have clarified. I measure it first in it’s solid state, then melted!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 4, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

i baked with coconut oil yesterday for the first time and LOVED the flavor. nate? not so much…but whatevs…more for me!

Honey What's Cooking — April 4, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

this looks delicious.. i’m just so nervous about using coconut oil, it tastes so weird to me as much as I love coconut. i may try using canola and maybe some coconut milk instead. I just really don’t like coconut oil. Do you think canola will be a good substitute?

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

I really don’t think canola oil would work because it doesn’t solidify at room temperature like coconut oil and butter. I would just use the butter instead.

Kelly — April 4, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

They say necessity is the mother of invention. :-) It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison making the recipe with butter, coconut oil, and shortening. Since I know that butter has a lower melting point than shortening those cookies tend to spread more and I’d be curious to see how coconut oil compares.

TRINA — April 4, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

I had wondered how coconut oil would work with cookies but never got around to trying it. Now I know it will work; thanks for the recipe!

green beans & grapefruit — April 4, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

It’s true- coconut reminds a lot of people of spring. I actually just made a Carrot Coconut Bundt Cake to celebrate!

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable — April 4, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

I LOVE coconut…in my opinion it’s better than chocolate because it’s more of a treat. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some chocolate, but I can go to the cupboard and get a handful of chocolate chips at any time and satisfy the chocolate craving. Not true for coconut! I mean technically you could just eat a handful of shredded coconut, but it wouldn’t be the same. It’s so good when it’s baked into treat form :)

Dee — April 4, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

Ohhhhh these look sooo good I want one right now!

Jentry Nielsen — April 4, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

This actually sounds so delicious! I love coconut, but have never thought of using coconut oil or extract in cookies though! Sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try these bad boys out! :)

Cookin' Cowgirl — April 4, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

Super duper cute! Minis make everything better!

Kelly — April 4, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

Ohh my these sound amazing! Love your recipe! :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 4, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

Mmmm, I love coconut oil. I want to use it in cookies, but it doesn’t always work out so I stopped trying :( Will try these for sure!

Janetha @ meals & moves — April 4, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

these are so cute and baby and mini! which means i can eat 17.

• Keli — April 4th, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

Oh yes, like Jessica said, the smaller they are, the more you need to “sample” before they actually add up!

Jen Marie — April 4, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

I really love cookies with oil instead of butter, I think they are more tender.
    Also, I awarded you with the Versatile Blogger award on my site! Check it out!

Tamizn — April 4, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

I use coconut oil in cookies all the time and really like it. These will definitely have to be made yum! x x

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 4, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

Until now, I’ve been at a loss as to what to do with all my leftover coconut. Hallelujah, rejoice! I’ve found the answer and it looks delicious!

Lauren — April 4, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

I’m dying. I don’t even have time to make these tonight, but I’m going to. Love that I have something to use my huge jar of coconut oil on…we have been struggling!

Lauren — April 4, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

Quick question…Is the coconut sweetened or unsweetened?

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

I used sweetened, just because I had it on hand. Either is fine – the cookies are sweet enough to use unsweetened!

Melissa — April 4, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

Soft & chewy > thin & crispy
    Mini anything > Normal size anything
    Coconut anything > Anything w/o coconut

Leave the coconut extract out if desired? But why? I don’t understand this.

• Jessica — April 4th, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Ha! I included that because I could already envision the I don’t have coconut extract/I can’t find coconut extract/Do I have to use the extract/Can I substitute the extract questions.

• Melissa — April 4th, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Of course. But if you have a true commitment to coconut, this would never happen! Coconut foreverrrrrrr!!!

jillian — April 4, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Ahhh coconut oil is so great–I’ve never used it in cookies before though, what an absolutely fantastic idea. Going to have to try this….not sure why I haven’t already!

Angela @ the fairy bread chronicles — April 4, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

Wow! Ahh I have been on such a cocnut rampage lately! It’s too good, and so versatile too!

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — April 4, 2012 @ 7:14 pm

I noticed you’ve been on the coconut tip lately! These look tasty.

Kaylie @ Skinny Muffin — April 4, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

Yum! Is it hard to find coconut oil or can you find it in a regular grocery store?

• Andrea — April 7th, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

You can find coconut oil at just about any grocery store or chain retailer that has a natural foods aisle.

Quiche-ing Queen — April 4, 2012 @ 8:00 pm

These look so delicious. Yummy!

Nicole @ Sweet Peony — April 4, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

mmmmmmm heaven in a cookie! Deeeelish! Just bought my first jar of coconut oil so these will be made ASAP. :)

Bimbi — April 5, 2012 @ 1:34 am

Awesome Cute. you always amaze me with your work.
    Great Job!.

Kara — April 5, 2012 @ 2:03 am

hooomygosh i think i just died and went to heaven.

Collin — April 5, 2012 @ 2:50 am

Wow so cute.. i really want to bite one this is great.nice recipe and thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

Elizabeth — April 5, 2012 @ 7:39 am

Those look SO delicious!

April — April 5, 2012 @ 9:48 am

These look delicious! Going to try them gluten-free and see how it goes. :)

Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth — April 5, 2012 @ 10:50 am

I love baking with coconut oil! These look so soft and chewy, just the way I like my cookies!

Morgan — April 5, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

These look divine! It’s ironic because I’ve been looking for recipes incorporating Coconut Oil.
    I have tons of Organic Coconut Oil ( I use it in the body butters I make.) I think I’ll use 1/8th tsp. of Coconut Emulsion.
    I’m going to make ‘em tonight and send to work with my husband tomorrow as I am a cookie junkie. Once made, I eat a few and then I’ve got to get them out of my house! Thanks for what looks to be a great recipe.

christina @ ovenadventures — April 5, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

i always thought I hated coconut until last summer when Starbucks had their coconut mocha frap. I discovered I fricken love coconut. these look awesome. I love the way the coconut oil smells when it’s melted.

Random question but where do your shredded coconut? I’ve only ever seen very thin shredded coconut.

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

I actually used the thinly shredded coconut in the cookies here, but the coconut you see in the pictures is Bob’s Red Mill unsweetened flaked coconut. I love it!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — April 5, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

I may be the only one left who has never bought coconut oil, but seeing these cookies has given me even more incentive. :)

brandi — April 6, 2012 @ 9:12 am

these are going to get me into trouble, for sure. and they certainly won’t help me get back into my skinny jeans. oh well :)

MikeVFMK — April 6, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Yes. These!! I totally dig mini cookies and coconut PLUS chocolate chips? I’m in heaven. Or heading there.

Bekah Vance — April 6, 2012 @ 1:40 pm

You just made my Friday! I am going to make these today…yum!

Live a Sweet Life — April 6, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

So good! Love the way you used the coconut!

Amy Leon — April 6, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

I just made these and while they smell (and taste!) divine—-mine were SUPER liquid like. Not crumbly at all. I did sub agave for the white sugar–but did alter the coconut oil to use a fraction less to compensate for that extra liquid. But do you think I didn’t do enough? Do you think this recipe shouldn’t have a substitution like this at all?
    I appreciate your feedback~ I’ve become a HUGE fan of yours and like I said even with the cookies LARGE and in charge :) instead of small and cutie-tootie they were grrrreeaatt!

• Jessica — April 6th, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

I have never made cookies with agave so I’m not even sure what to suggest, but I would think that the dough would be super liquidity. I definitely think the whole recipe would be different together and while some subs can work I really don’t think agave is one of them… Especially with coconut oil in the recipe – just seems like a lot of “wet” going on.. I haven’t heard of this issue with these cookies so I’m thinking it probably does have to do with the agave? Since I’m not familiar with cookies + agave I’m not really sure what to suggest – so sorry!

• Amy Leon — April 6th, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

Thank you! :) They did taste great—and like I said while large still were wonderful. However I think next time I’ll just stick to your total recipe–no more agave in this one! And go from there! Thanks again for answering back!

Liz — April 6, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

Made them, but used 1 cup of oat flour (vice one cup of flour) and put them in a mini cupcake pan (pressed a Hershey’s kiss in the middle vice chocolate chips). They were wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!

Lakenya Joy — April 7, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

hey im allergic to coconut oil :( culd i still make these but use sumthin else???

Tracy — April 9, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

I love that you start this post by asking if you can have chewy cookies without butter. Thanks for providing a butter alternative! Sometimes it’s needed, I guess!

Kathleen — April 12, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

YOU are the most delightful blog read I have read in ages. There I am trying to find out about these delicious cookies, but 20 minutes later I am fascinated and informed about Mother Lovett!! Thanks for sharing, and keep up the wonderful style and spunk of your writing!
    Cheers,
    Kathleen
    PS I could sure go for a slice of that orange coconut cake too! ;-)

Lynette Cruz — April 15, 2012 @ 8:51 pm

I’m making them now! I love coconut! Thank you!!

Katie — April 15, 2012 @ 9:17 pm

Just made these and your warm bean and spinach salad. Both were delicious! Thank you!!

Geny — April 18, 2012 @ 11:18 pm

Made these tonight and YUM love them!! Thanks for the recipe!!

Courtney — May 12, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

Very excited to have these in the oven! It is a rainy evening and I just happened to have all the ingredients in the apartment… victory :)

charity — May 14, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

These are amazing! Have made them twice now. They completely disappeared when I took them to my parent’s for mother’s day. I skip the 1/3 cup of white sugar and use only 1 cup of turbinado sugar and then use white whole wheat pastry flour. Want to try to make these into an oatmeal raisin coconut version. Yummy!

Dominique — May 15, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

Have you tried using Whole Wheat pastry flour?
    Also, do you add in one 3/4 cup of coconut oil in liquid form. I just don’t know whether to use 3/4 solidified coconut oil and afterwards wait for it to melt when I’m working it into the dough.