I’m in pain.

Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeño Hummus I howsweeteats.com

First up, I took a walk yesterday when it was SO cloudy that I felt rain drops pelting my head. I am not the dumb girl who doesn’t wear sunscreen when it’s cloudy (um, have you seen my pastiness?), but apparently yesterday… I was the dumb girl who didn’t wear sunscreen when it was cloudy.

I’m a lovely shade a maraschino and a treat to be hugged.

Second, when I made this hummus, I started chanting “wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, then cover them in lemon juice” the instant I finished seeding and chopping the jalapenos so I wouldn’t forget. But then it turned into, “well, I’ll just load the dishwasher before covering my hands in lemon juice.” Then that turned into “I’m just going to sanitize the counters before this whole lemon juice debacle.” And that led to “how about I vaccuum really quick before dealing with the lemons.” And that obviously turned into me peeling my contacts out of my peepers a few hours later (with multiple hand washes, but no lemon juice dousing) and having an absolute meltdown.

Speaking of meltdowns, I think it’s like… my 2012 thing. Melting down. I claim to have a “meltdown” almost every single day, sometimes involving the lack of decent produce at my local dump of a grocery store, or the huge creeper of a spider spinning it’s web outside my kitchen window and then trapping a fly, and my personal favorite: losing it over the way my husband rips the sheets off the mattress mid-sleep every darn night. Chances are, if you speak to me in real life at any point in the day, I will tell you about a meltdown I’m having. Which will probably make you want to stick a jalapeno finger in your eye.

Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeño Hummus I howsweeteats.com

And if you’re wondering why I allllllways talk about touching my eyes and face with hot-peppered hands every single freaking time I post a recipe with jalapenos, it’s because I touch my eyes and face with hot-peppered hands every single freaking time I made a recipe with jalapenos. I’m a slow learner. I just can’t get my act together.

But whatever.

A few weeks ago my cousin Lacy made some roasted garlic and jalapeno hummus, and told me to stop on my way home from yoga to eat some. So I did. And I pretty much devoured spoonfuls of hummus for dinner that night. It was delightful. And delicious. And I’ve been craving more homemade hummus ever since.

This dip slash spread slash spoon-meal is incredibly fluffy, possessing almost a “whipped” texture which I can only assume comes from the corn. It has a bit of a bite to it, but nothing too spicy or unmanageable when it comes to a bag of blue corn chips.

But really, what isn’t manageable when it comes to a bag of blue corn chips? That answer would be nothing.

Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeño Hummus I howsweeteats.com

Sweet Corn + Jalapeno Hummus

makes about 1 cup

2 medium jalapenos

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (and peeled if you have patience)

1/2 cup sweet yellow corn

3-4 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

To roast the jalapenos, preheat the broiler in your oven and place peppers on a baking sheet. Broil on all sides, flipping once charred. Remove and let cool completely. Additionally, you can grill or even “roast” the peppers on your gas stove (um, I did this) – whatever is easiest for you! Once cooled, chop of the tops and slice the peppers down the middle, remove the seeds and chop.

Add chickpeas, corn and peppers to the food processor. Blend until combined, then slowly stream in olive oil with the processor running. Add in salt and pepper, then blend once more. Taste and season more if desired. Top with additional corn or peppers if desired and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with crackers and chips!

Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeño Hummus I howsweeteats.com

If you need me I’ll be up to my elbows in lemon juice all day.

123 Responses to “Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeno Hummus.”

Monsterscircus — May 24, 2012 @ 11:42 am

It look absolutely stunning, wow it would be perfect together with all the barbecues! Yummy!

Andrea — May 24, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Ugh. Contacts. I have the stupid kind of contact solution that needs to sit for 6 hours overnight before you stick it back in your eye, or else it burns… see, I don’t even need to chop up jalepenos to burn my eyes out, because I sure have tried to put those suckers back in before they were done cleaning themselves, and it HURT!

Hummus looks awesome! I’ve been having hummus cravings the past few days, and this will do the trick! How much of a difference does peeling make?

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Hahaha I use that too… I once wrote an entire post about that – it was the most awful experience of my life.

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Oh and peeling the chickpeas just makes the hummus REALLY smooth and creamy! Very tedious though.

Janetha — May 24, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

This is super unique! I must make it.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — May 24, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

Love hummus, and love the addition of jalapeno and corn!

Alysa (InspiredRD) — May 24, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

Yummers! And I am also a slow learner. Once I was roasting green chiles and stuck my finger in my left eye. After saying a few choice words and rinsing it out with water, I stuck my finger in my right eye. Doh!

Samantha — May 24, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

YUM! I needed a good idea for this weekend, thanks!

Also, the lemon juice thing was news to me. Good to know, my eyes will thank you. =)

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac — May 24, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

Love that this is made sans tahini!!! Definitely making! PS—they make hand soap with lemon in it— get some so you don’t burn your eyes!!!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty & The Hazel Bloom — May 24, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

Love this spin on hummus, and I’m fascinated by the fact that the corn seems to fluffify (that should totally be a word) the hummus. Brilliance, I say!

Dana — May 24, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

This is hilarious! Moreso for me I think because I have done exactly this and my whole face swelled up and was on FIRE… and afterwards my husband was frantically reading me remedies for getting jalapeno oil off my face. Turns out, hand sanitizer was the winner! (noteworthy for not working: milk + baking soda bath, hot water, olive oil, and yogurt)

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Interesting!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 24, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

Holy yum! This would be SO good slathered all over the Greek food I can’t get enough of lately. Or, just on its own. Great recipe. Hope you heal soon! :(

liz — May 24, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

You’re totally my favorite blogger of choice lately – so funny! I love it.
    This hummus combo sounds fantastic – I have some frozen corn and jalapenos in my freezer – do you think these would work?

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Thank you Liz! Yep, they should both work once thawed.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 24, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Haha! I am totally not laughing at you but with you! I do that all the time when I work with jalapenos. I finally learned my lesson after my umpteenth time of brutalizing my eyes. Then one day my boyfriend was cooking with jalapenos and touched his eyes, freaked out, and all I could do was laugh hysterically! I know I am a horrible girlfriend. This hummus looks fan-freakin’-tastic! The BF makes a jalapeno hummus (probably what he was cooking when he touched his eyes) but I would have never thought to put corn in it. Love this idea!

Alicia — May 24, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

Latex gloves have changed my life! I (usually remember to) wear them when I am working with hot peppers. I put them in the kitchen drawer with my knives to help me remember. And this recipe looks awesome! Thanks!

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — May 24, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

I love roasting things. Especially pepper things. Gahhhh roasted charred goodness!! I am a big fan of making roasted red pepper hummus, but I’ve never thought of adding jalapenos! Thank you for this!

mary @ what's cookin with mary — May 24, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

Is the corn you’re using raw or cooked ?

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

Cooked!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — May 24, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

Get yourself some latex gloves woman! :) That way you don’t have to deal with the whole mess of lemon juice. I think I also heard that coating your hands in oil pre-chopping helps, but that just seems like an accident waiting to happen if you’re wielding a knife…

Jordana — May 24, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

This looks yummy!
    And I swear you and I are soul sisters… I moan every morning about my hubby tearing sheets off of his side, and winding up in them like a mummy.. I just freaked out today when a spider came in our house apparently to get to a dry place since we’ve had so much rain lately,….and i constantly bitch about lack of fresh produce at my grocery store. Come to think of it, I bitch alot. You could say I also have frequent ‘meltdowns’.

• Jessica — May 24th, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

Yeah… we’re cut from the same cloth.

Jessica — May 24, 2012 @ 11:23 pm

Don’t worry, Meltdowns are totally my thing too. We can schedule to have one at the same time at blogher.

Kaitlin — May 25, 2012 @ 12:54 am

what type of crackers are those? im a huge “bready” and the burntness to those crackers to me looks so delicious! what brand are they??

• Jessica — May 25th, 2012 @ 6:49 am

Trader Joe’s multigrain pita crisp crackers!

Diana — May 25, 2012 @ 5:12 am

I will admit that I have only ever followed one blog. I read it for the writing – and not the recipes – but found some fun recipes along the way. …Then…she turned vegan on me. I can no longer even handle reading her blog. Everything is “sexy vegan”, or “hot vegan”, or “rockin’ vegan”…you get the point. For me, vegan is none of that! I will first thank you for not being vegan! I absolutely LOVE reading what you have to say. I love your real life recipes and antics. I love the ginger something rather salmon you posted a while back, and I am sorry your husband sleeps like mine and tears the sheets off the bed every be-danged night. We could be friends. We would meet for lunch and chitter chatter about how life can be strange and we would exchange phone numbers, and emails, and promise to be BFF’s – except life would get in the way -and I live in England. Keep up the adoring blog. I love it!

• Jessica — May 25th, 2012 @ 6:48 am

Thank you so much Diana!

danielle — May 25, 2012 @ 6:38 am

I’m frequently too cheap to buy non-latex food safe gloves (real latex makes me itch) so I turn a zippie bag inside out and use it as a glove on my non-knife hand. When I’m done chopping I can flip the bag right side out and store extra jalapeno/other pepper inside!

Alyse — May 25, 2012 @ 7:14 am

I also use gloves when working with hot peppers. Vinyl gloves work just as well as latex. I buy them at Costco. If you decide to try gloves just remember to get the NO POWDER kind. Your hands need to be very dry to get them on but they are much safer for working with food. The greatest thing is, when done with the peppers, you just peel the gloves off and throw them away. Clean up done!

Allison | bunandbiscuit.com — May 25, 2012 @ 8:49 am

I made guacamole the other day and experienced the same kind of meltdown with the jalapenos. My eyes and hands were burning for hours. Lesson learned….hopefully.

Anna — May 25, 2012 @ 9:22 am

Love new flavour twists on hummus – thanks for sharing! :)

Dan McCullough — May 25, 2012 @ 10:13 am

How Sweet It Is: Come for the Sweet Corn and Roasted Jalapeno Hummus, stay for the Peanut Butter Fudge Coffee Cupcakes.

• Jessica — May 25th, 2012 @ 10:58 am

Haha! :)

Mia Dumont — May 25, 2012 @ 10:29 am

I repeat my self: reading your blog makes my day.
    You are the funniest, most gifted person I know (well, actually, I don’t know you but your writings speak of you…)
    You should write!! I mean, writing a colum in a newspaper, a book, whatever.
    Believe me, I know what I’m talking about…
    Have a jolly Friday.

• Jessica — May 25th, 2012 @ 10:57 am

You are so kind Mia – thank you!

• Mia Dumont — May 25th, 2012 @ 10:59 am

NO! Not kind. Just spelling the truth! And kikking your …. to do it! :-)

Jessica — May 25, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

So maybe someone has given you this idea but disposable gloves. I keep them under the sink in my kitchen and when I get the jalapeños out I get the gloves out too. I put only one on (the knife hand doesn’t really need one) and then I don’t take it off until I’m done working. It works. And no eye pain later. Try it, I think you’ll like it :-)

Jessica — May 25, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

I just went back and read about the ziploc bag idea – that’s GENIUS

Kirsten — May 25, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

Just made this for my weekend of sitting on a bleacher watching my boy play baseball. I pre-tasted it and it was wonderful!! I just know that all of us baseball moms are going to tear it up tomorrow … if it makes it long in my fridge :)

Happy Memorial Day!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — May 25, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

I love hummus with a spicy kick, but the addition of corn is simply genius!

Trisha — May 25, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

Wow. This looks unbelievable. I think I may add this to the ever-growing list of things I hope to make this weekend. Or maybe I’ll even save it for it’s own special day. :)

Brittany @ Eating Bird Food — May 26, 2012 @ 8:54 am

I need this in my life!

MichelleSFTS — May 27, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

I’m laughing hysterically right be because I do the same thing every time I use jalapeños, I never knew the line juice trick. I’ll be sure to remember after this post!

Brooke — May 28, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

Oh man, I was disappointed by this one. The heat of two jalepenos (even seeded and roasted) overwhelms an otherwise bland hummus. The only interest was the whole corn kernels I stirred in for an interesting texture. :(

Michelle — May 29, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

My fiancé would love this! I must make it!

molly — June 4, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

I made this today and it’s SO spicy I can barely eat it!! I even removed the seeds from the jalapenos. I think next time I would only use one jalapeno instead of two. :)

Natalie — July 5, 2012 @ 9:31 pm

I just made this and it’s so good! I used a whole cob of corn and roasted it along with the jalapenos, and also added a bit of lime juice. It’s really spicy but I love it! Started off eating it with carrots and eventually was just using my fingers haha

Kelly — December 17, 2012 @ 9:30 am

I’m eating this for lunch right now, and it is amazing! I thew some chopped spring onions and bacon bits on the top, along with a little extra drizzle of olive oil, and am eating it with pita chips. Came together really quickly, and my mind is currently buzzing with other hummus flavors I can make.

Jessica, you should probably know that I basically do my grocery shopping based around your blog. A bit shameful perhaps, but so delicious :)

QueenSparrow — March 11, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

AMAZING! It is beyond good. I have to stop myself from finishing the entire thing in one sitting.

ELF ROBERT CHADIS — May 7, 2013 @ 6:15 am

there appears to be a hamster in the first bowl pictured!

Morris Kendricks — June 20, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

Digital devices may also be linked to eye fatigue because of a tendency to blink less often when staring at a computer screen. People usually blink about 18 times a minute. This naturally refreshes the eyes. But studies suggest that people only blink about half as often while using a computer or other digital device. This can result in dry, tired, itching, and burning eyes.:-,^

Adieu http://healthmedicinebook.comau

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner — January 14, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

i made this the other day and it’s delicious! I had to double the recipe because it was THAT good. ;)
    i blogged about it yesterday:
    Thanks so much for sharing. I’m looking forward to trying some of your other recipes!