I know I know I know.

Grilled Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Sandwiches I howsweeteats.com

It’s like I’ve been on this huge fruit plus cheese plus anything grilled cheese kick… forever. They are just so easy. So tasty. So pretty. So perfect for one person!

Also, seriously? The combos are endless. Name your fruit… name your cheese… basically pick your poison.

That’s just how it goes.

Grilled Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Sandwiches I howsweeteats.com

And because of all that, let’s talk about something you shouldn’t do while your husband is out of town. Frankly, you proooobably shouldn’t make three grilled cheese sandwiches at once. I mean, really. Three?

Grilled Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Sandwiches I howsweeteats.com

Because of this, I’ve been living on sandwiches since Sunday. When I picked up this bread that morning, it was so fresh that it was still WARM. I had huge plans for it, probably involving garlic and gorgonzola and maybe even some filet. But then I spied a dying container of blackberries in my fridge, and since I haven’t killed my basil plant yet, I figured I better put it to work, and I knew I had some fontina in the cheese drawer because… I always have fontina in the cheese drawer.

I almost made that mess into a pizza, but I could not resist this bread, which is huge since bread is not my thang. This week was weird.

Grilled Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Sandwiches I howsweeteats.com

Besides surviving on fruit and cheese sandwiches, a little wine, a lot of chocolate and some yogurt covered pretzels, I spent a few hours yesterday prepping some meals for my husband since we aren’t crossing paths this week. At the moment I’m most likely on a plane to Seattle (scared to death since I’m a huge twit) and he won’t be returning home until tomorrow, but when he does return home? He has a fridge stocked with enchiladas, bbq beer chicken, and almost two whole pounds of toasted sesame salmon – which will most likely all be consumed in the 48 hours before I get back.

I’d like to say that he will probably miss me, but the DVR queue is seriously full of Duck Dynasty and all those dumb pawn shop shows, and it will be an entire week since he’s been forced to double up on wearing nose strips and been constantly kicked in the ribs mid-snore. Let’s face it: he’s in heaven.

Grilled Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Sandwiches I howsweeteats.com

One thing he will surely not even care about is the fact this he missed these sandwiches. Considering they house no meat, I wouldn’t even be able to force him to eat them as a snack or an appetizer, which is why they make the best single lady food ever. Even when you eat one a day for four days straight. And maybe even two on the last day, just to make sure they’re perfect. But I don’t know any respectable lady who’d do that.

Grilled Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Sandwiches I howsweeteats.com

Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

makes 4 sandwiches

1 loaf of multigrain bread, cut into 8 thick slices

12 ounces of fresh blackberries

12-15 fresh basil leaves, chopped

6-8 ounces of fontina cheese, sliced

2 tablespoons olive oil

In a large bowl, mash blackberries with a fork (be careful – they will splatter!) and stir in chopped basil. Heat an electric griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat.

Lay a piece of cheese on each slice of bread, then top with a few spoonfuls of smashed blackberries. Gently pick up 3 slices, brush some olive oil on the bottom, and place them on the griddle or skillet. Place the remaining slices on top, brushing them with olive oil too. I like to cook these over lower and slowly so the bread gets perfectly golden and the cheese melts, so let each side cook for about 4-5 minutes. Remove and dig in!

Grilled Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Sandwiches I howsweeteats.com

Luckily, I’m not very respectable.

195 Responses to “Grilled Fontina + Blackberry Basil Smash Sandwiches.”

favfox — June 30, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

I just picked a LOT of berries and wondered what I was gonna dooooooo…….OILA! thank you!

I finally made this sandwich at a grilled cheese party I hosted…it was AWESOME!!! I put a link to your blog from mine so others could get the recipe and enjoy themselves: http://martialartsnchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/06/grilled-cheese-please.html

Thank you for all the cool recipes, great photos, and love your humor!

Lisa — August 11, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

What kind of veggie or side dish do you think would pair well with this? Thanks!

• Carrie — July 17th, 2013 @ 8:20 am

A spinach salad with a creamy balsamic dressing would be delicious-don’t forget to add bacon for a salty bite with the sweet! :)

Sarah — October 2, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

That fourth picture…the one with the three sandwiches stacked on top of each other…makes me want to eat my computer.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — October 12, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

I will seriously be dreaming about that 4th picture every night for weeks.

Alexandra Wysocki — October 15, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

Literally – If I don’t make this this evening there is the possibility I might die. This looks SO FREAKING GOOD.

Gena@BakeAllTheThings! — March 5, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Just saw this on Endless Simmer – I don’t think I’ve ever said a sandwich was ‘gorgeous’ before, but this one IS!

Lorraine — May 29, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

This is insane.

rmd — July 14, 2013 @ 11:22 am

I can’t remember if I commented on this before, so here we go….I made this last summer when it was first posted and it became the hit sandwich of the summer! Absolutely delicious! Sweet, savory, creamy, crunchy yumminess…. I told EVERYONE about it, it was so good. Thank you for reminding me about it….it might have been lost forever in my memory and that would have been tragic…..

Allison @ thebakingyear — July 14, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

oh my GOSH! That’s just stupendous. I can’t tell you how much my mouth is watering right now

Billy — July 15, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

Hi Jessica – You know I never thought about a grilled fruit sandwich but I don’t know why since I have had a grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Well, I think I may give this a try tomorrow, maybe with some of the purple basil I just planted in the garden. Yummy! Thanks, Billy

Rose — July 28, 2013 @ 10:08 am

I made these last night-they were incredible! I used fresh French bread from a local bakery, and unfortunately my blackberries weren’t quite as ripe but a tiny dash of sugar helped draw the juices out. I will definitely be making more this week :)

Rose
    Blonde in this City

Melinda — August 6, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

So I’m pretty sure that Mindy Kaling tweeted this image recently on her Twitter feed! (Please don’t think I’ a total stalker- I just love food and your photos/recipes so much that the images are burned into my memory!)

click here — August 31, 2013 @ 10:20 pm

Good answer back in return of this question with firm arguments and
    telling the whole thing regarding that.

Jan — January 5, 2014 @ 11:24 pm

Cheese and fruit never cranked my tractor that much, but my husband is from Peru, and he digs it. So I made this for hin as a birthday treat. I must say, if there ever was a recipe to make me a convert, this is it. SImple and tasty. Thanks for sharing and making his birthday a bit nicer. Jan.

Paula — March 17, 2014 @ 7:01 pm

Looks like a San Francisco brunch spot was quite inspired by your blog !

At least I know how to make it at home thanks to you!!

Sylvia — May 20, 2014 @ 11:39 pm

Wow. I’ve made a lot of things on your site… But this one may take the cake! It’s so simple but creative. I’m going oyster shucking this weekend so this will be a good addition to the meal!

1. Pingback: Autumn Eats | No Longer in London

2. Pingback: Crockpot Pulled Pork + Beer Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Balsamic Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Peach, Bacon + Gouda Grilled Cheese Sliders on Pretzel Bread | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Sandwiches101: A Sous Survival Class | Sous Style

6. Pingback: Gathered under my umbrella, for you… | rainydayinmay

7. Pingback: Gooey Goodness. {Blackberry & Fontina Grilled Cheese}

8. Pingback: Cuppycakes

9. Pingback: Glorious Grilled Cheese | Nutrition Adventures

10. Pingback: culture: the word on cheese

11. Pingback: Quintessential Queso - Curative Properties of Cheese #AtoZChallenge

12. Pingback: Friday Favorites.

13. Pingback: Crazy creations for National Grilled Cheese Day | My own little corner

14. Pingback: Recipe Remix – Black Raspberry Grilled Cheese | pink-briefcase

15. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe

16. Pingback: Fontina & Blackberry Basil Smash Grilled Cheese Sandwiches | Eden Market Catering & Personal Chef Co.

17. Pingback: Seasonal Eating Guide: What to Eat in AugustEating Wiesbaden

18. Pingback: The Word "Sandwich" Has Lost All Meaning, And That Is Not OK | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

19. Pingback: The Word “Sandwich” Has Lost All Meaning…! AMAZING New Creation. | WORLD Warotter

20. Pingback: 「サンドイッチ」という語はすべての意味を失いました、そして、それはよくありません | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

21. Pingback: 「サンドイッチ」という語はすべての意味を失いました、そして、それはよくありません | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!