Let me tell you a little story about why we should probably eat this salad everyday this week.

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella I howsweeteats.com

Well, that’s definitely a lie, because if we ate salad or something as such in this household every single time after we ate a lot of delicious (bacon and butter covered) food… then we’d basically have to live on salad. And THAT is not fun. Ever.

Except with this one. Maybe.

Anyhoo.

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella I howsweeteats.com

Saturday night we went out to dinner. What does my husband order? Guess.

No, seriously. Just guess.

Okay, you’re no fun: he orders a chicken. Like, an entire chicken. Like, an entire fried chicken. A whole fried chicken, some cornbread, and maybe like, two cups worth of baked beans.

He takes it all down, practically in record time.

[Um more importantly? He ate that entire chicken with a knife and a fork. Seriously impressive. But that's neither here nor there.]

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella I howsweeteats.com

Then, the man lifts up his shirt and shows us how his 8-pack is still there.

Alright… that’s another complete lie but whatever. I’m not telling the truth, thank God. He’s way too classy for that… I think. Instead, the abs just hid under his shirt, still looking quite defined, which is good enough reason for me to tell him to take a long walk off a short pier most days. Stupidly unfair.

And after he eats this entire fried chicken? He’s not even full. As in he is anxiously perusing a menu at a bar for more food at midnight, a mere two hours after his chicken dinner. Is this real life?

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella I howsweeteats.com

It is.

It is real life.

Because THEN… less than 12 hours later, at breakfast, he scarfs down two eggs, sausage, bacon, home fries, and huge biscuits smothered in sausage gravy. And that was just the start of Sunday. I can’t even comprehend how it’s possible to take in these copious amounts of food.

So! He texts me yesterday during lunch saying, “Ugh. I need to detox. I ate sooo much this weekend.” Nooo… are you sure? I respond, asking what he ate for lunch, and he tells me that he ate four chicken enchiladas. Innnnnteresting. I like the idea of this chicken enchilada detox even if he is VIRTUALLY INSANE.

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella I howsweeteats.com

I, on the other hand, actually did eat a salad for lunch. This salad. And this is so my type of salad. Well, I guess I ate four salads for lunch. Because I ate all of this.

It’s apparently clear that I have a current fascination with roasted tomatoes, and adding things like tons of bread, cheese, basil, olive oil, balsamic glaze and salt is something I could inhale day after day. The key is to make all of your ingredients the exact same size… and then you get the perfect bite. And yes, eating a… “salad” of uniformly sized ingredients is the highlight of my day.

I am a very fun girl.

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella I howsweeteats.com

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella

[inspired by my roasted autumn panzanella]

serves about 4

4 cups grape tomatoes

4 cups cubed multigrain bread

6 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2 1/2 cups fresh mozzarella balls/pearls (I cut a few balls into fours)

15-20 fresh basil leaves

a heavy dose of balsamic glaze

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On one baking sheet, lay the tomatoes down and drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. On a separate baking sheet, place the cubed bread and toss it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place both sheets in the oven. Roast the tomatoes for a full 20 minutes, tossing once during cooking. Toast the bread for 10-12 minutes, until golden, tossing 2-3 times during cooking.

Place mozzarella on a paper towel to remove a bit of the moisture and water. Chop any larger basil leaves, leaving the smaller ones intact if desired.

In a large bowl, add bread, tomatoes, basil, remaining salt and pepper. Gently toss with two large spoons, trying to keep the tomatoes intact for pretty visual purposes. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the salad, and then add on a liberal drizzle of balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.

Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella I howsweeteats.com

Chomp chomp.

112 Responses to “Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella.”

Good Food Good Friends — June 19, 2012 @ 7:46 pm

This salad looks beautiful! All my favorite flavors together, perfect!!!

Stephanie — June 19, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

I know what I’m making for dinner when I get back home from vacation! This!! ^_^

ellenbcookery — June 19, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

That is such a wonderful salad. Fortunately every one of my family members loves salad. Anything with Balsamic goes a long way in this household. Can’t wait to try!

erin — June 19, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

Ohhh mah gosh….made this tonight using some homemade whole wheat garlic and rosemary bread that I made for father’s day and let me tell you, it was fabulous. My mom and I ate the entire thing as dinner. This will definitely be a staple this summer :)) Thanks for the AMAZING recipe!!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 19, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

oh my goodness that sounds so incredibly delicious! and beautiful pictures!

Vicky @ Ursine Cuisine — June 20, 2012 @ 3:13 am

Ooooh, I love panzanella! And this looks like a brilliant spin on it – thanks for sharing.

Krysten @ Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen — June 20, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Ugh, I don’t like tomatoes but you make them look so gooooood. bahhhhh

Robin — June 20, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I want that salad for breakfast and I didn’t like that song either until I saw it performed on the CMA awards – love it now!

Kelly — June 20, 2012 @ 9:02 am

Oh.my.word. That looks DIVINE! I have a whole slew of baby tomatoes that are pouring off my vines that I haven’t known what to do with. This is getting made TODAY! Thanks for this!

Katie @ OhShineOn — June 20, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

Girl after my own heart.

idiosyncratic eye — June 20, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

This looks lush! My kind of salad too. :)

Megan {Country Cleaver} — June 20, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

Carbs, basil, balsamic and tomato – Oh Freakin’ MY!! *slides out of chair* o.O

Becca — June 20, 2012 @ 7:18 pm

The food photography in this post is UNREAL. Seriously, some of the best stuff I’ve seen! Favorite pic: the olive oil being poured on the bread… simply fabulous.

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:16 am

Thank you Becca!

Tracy {Pale Yellow} — June 20, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

What a great looking salad! The balsamic drizzle looks delic!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — June 20, 2012 @ 9:11 pm

Roasted tomatoes are so good, and they go with everything! I just added some to pasta last night with pesto and good mozzarella. By the way, I love how you put the balsamic glaze on everything! I should make some and become addicted, because I know I will!

Jenny D. — June 21, 2012 @ 11:23 am

I absolutely adore your fascination with roasting tomatoes – it has rocked my mealplanning world in the best way possible!!

Mary-Where's the Zoom — June 22, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

I made this last night for a Stella and Dot jewelry party I hosted. I’m not even lying when I tell you that people ditched their plates and just started digging into the salad bowl with their forks. It was THAT GOOD.

Tina {My Life as a Mrs} — June 27, 2012 @ 9:56 am

ummm i need this. STAT.

Simone — July 6, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

I could eat this every single day. So simple and so tasty!

Christine — July 10, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

I just made this for dinner and i nearly died! It is the most delicious thing i have ever made ( and i have been known to set the kitchen on fire if i try more than make coffee). I LOVE this! X

Teresa — August 1, 2012 @ 9:14 am

This salad was AMAAAZING!! Definitely making this again very soon.

Katylin — April 17, 2013 @ 9:17 am

I LOVE your blog! Everything is so delicious! But, this roasted tomato caprese panzanella (YUM, by the way) inspired me to make a roasted tomato, spinach, cheddar, bacon and beer bread panzanella salad (http://croutonqueen.blogspot.com/2013/04/ploughmans-panzanella.html). It was amazing and delicious and I have you to thank. So if you ever have day old beer bread lying around (improbable, I know), I highly recommend it. So good! Thanks for all the delicious food : )

Vanessa Larson — May 31, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

I made this salad this week and it was so amazing that I wrote a blog post about it. Thank you for this recipe! I plan to make this many times in the future.

Saucy Spatula — June 28, 2013 @ 10:36 am

You are HILARIOUS. I really enjoyed reading this post. LOVE this caprese panzanella! I’m adding that to my summer dinners fo sho! :D

Keep it up!

Hannah — June 30, 2013 @ 11:26 pm

I just made this and loooooved it. I plan on making it again tomorrow. And probably the day after that.

Amanda — August 16, 2013 @ 11:05 am

Loved this! Made it tonight and my husband (who loves sauces, cheese, and meat) liked it a lot! The balsamic glaze was delicious.

1. Pingback: Sweet + Spicy Glazed Chicken, Corn + Avocado Tostadas with Blueberry Peach Salsa. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: When pinterest attacks! « GeekSparkle

3. Pingback: Sweet + Spicy Glazed Chicken, Corn + Avocado Tostadas with Blueberry Peach Salsa. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

4. Pingback: Sweet + Spicy Glazed Chicken, Corn + Avocado Tostadas with Blueberry Peach Salsa. | Lifestyle Pins

5. Pingback: friday favorites | Nikkilooch

6. Pingback: 101 Salad Recipes for SummerFood – Construed

7. Pingback: I’m Off to Run 13.1 « Amber's 101 in 1001

8. Pingback: July 25, 2012 – Day 193 of 1,001 « Amber's 101 in 1001

9. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Breakfast, Lunch & Dessert: Fourth of July | Wisconsin Cheese Talk

11. Pingback: Monday Link Love | The Bake & Brew

12. Pingback: Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella « A Measure of Success

13. Pingback: to do list | esther michelle

14. Pingback: roasted tomato panzanella salad

15. Pingback: Quinoa, Tomato and Avocado Salad Recipe | Barbara Bakes

16. Pingback: Spoiled | Designs on Dinner

17. Pingback: Heavenly Caprese Bread Salad « Vanessa Larson

18. Pingback: Let’s Make All The Things For the 4th of July. | How Sweet It Is

19. Pingback: Warm Vanilla Sugar | July Things

20. Pingback: Today’s Menu: Macarons (attempt #2) and Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella. | themidnitewriter

21. Pingback: Tasty Tuesdays – Roasted Tomato Caprese Panzanella from How Sweet It Is | Blowing off Steam...and Other Cooking Adventures

22. Pingback: Black Bean and Cornbread Panzanella Salad | How Sweet It Is