Want to know what really goes on over here?

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

This.

This goes on.

Like I can’t even control myself long enough to take a picture of something before digging in with a fork. Ugh. And it happens ALL THE TIME. Welcome to True Life: I eat my food straight out of the pan with forks.

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

And yes, I say forkS with and S because I usually have some forks in every photo since I can’t think of anything new to throw in there and am a.) hungry 2.) lazy and c.) starving.

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

These little squares are serious no-bake delights. Easy, quick, chewy and thin… thin enough that you can justify eating one (or five) for a snack or even a meal. And once you pop, you can’t stop. Really. I couldn’t stop. I almost made myself ill because they tasted so good. You know… ill in the best sort of way.

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

Here’s what pretty little coconut oatmeal square tops look like.

And here’s what pretty little coconut oatmeal square butts look like. And here’s what my entire lunch looked like. Oops.

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares

makes one 9×9 pan (about 16 squares)

1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats

1 1/2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut

1/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed

pinch of salt

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1/4 cup coconut oil (measured solid)

1/4 cup honey

Spray a 9×9 pan with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, combine oats, coconut, brown sugar and salt. Heat a small saucepan over low heat and add butter and coconut oil, stirring until melted. Add the butter and oil to the oat mixture, then add the honey and stir very thoroughly until the entire mix is moistened. Press it into the pan and stick in the fridge for 15 minutes.

chocolate layer

8 ounces good-quality chocolate, chocolate

2 tablespoons coconut oil (measured solid)

Using the same saucepan that you melted the butter and oil in, add the chocolate and oil and stir over low heat until melted. Remove the pan from the fridge and pour the chocolate evenly over top, spreading with a spatula or spoon. Place back in the fridge for about 30 minutes. When ready to eat, either cut the squares in the pan, or gently lift the square out and place on a cutting board to cut. It helps if the bars somewhat come to room temp before cutting, as they will slightly crumble a bit if super cold!

Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares I howsweeteats.com

These babies are ahhhddicting. Swear.

123 Responses to “Thin + Chewy Chocolate Drenched Coconut Oatmeal Squares.”

Tamizn — June 20, 2012 @ 11:39 am

Sound amazing x x

Christine — June 20, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

Yum, you incorporated all of my favorite things! coconut, oats and chocolate..reminds me of those Nature Valley Granola Crisps.

Ashley — June 20, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

Looks amazing! I’m totally going through a coconut/chocolate phase – these look dangerous to have around!

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — June 20, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

Oh my. Sounds amazing!

Michaela — June 20, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

thinner squares = more chocolate per bite ;)

Melissa — June 20, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

I love that you are creating no bake desserts during this heatwave we have in Pittsburgh! They look, great, i cannot wait to pick up some coconut oil and try them out for myself.

• Fran Litzner — June 28th, 2012 @ 11:17 am

What is coconut oil and where do you buy it…..is it in liquid or solid form……..? Can’t wait to try these no bake bars….they sound wonderful.

MC — June 20, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

can you explain *how* to measure the coconut oil? like, do I pack it into a measuring cup the way I would with brown sugar?

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:18 am

I don’t *really* pack it, but I do spoon it into a measuring cup and level it off it that makes sense??

Jordana — June 20, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

I’m so happy that I have every single ingredient in my house to make these !! Along with a 14yr old niece who is staying with me for 2 weeks, so she can do all of the messy measuring YAY lol

Meme — June 20, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

these look amazing, but I think I would eat the whole pan before sharing!

Alison — June 20, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

All I want to know is whether you’re going to James Taylor tonight! I got so excited on your behalf when I saw he was coming! I wish I could go.

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:17 am

Ugh I didn’t! Had a previous commitment but have also seen him like 10 times, hah!

natalie@thesweetslife — June 20, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

i already know i’m going to make and then eat the entire pan of these, but i don’t even care. DELISH!

sarah — June 20, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

oh yum!

Moni Meals — June 20, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

Oh man, I have got to have one of these ASAP. They look so divine Jessica! thanks for the recipe!

Lauren — June 20, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

If you don’t have coconut oil is there any sub?
    I want to make these for work on Friday but I have no coconut oil!

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:16 am

I’m thinking you could try all butter? I think you need something that is solid at room temp!

• Julie M — July 3rd, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

I made them with all butter – both layers – DELICIOUS, but the bottom layer didn’t stick together very well. I bought coconut oil, but my hubs says I can’t make them again for about a month. He likes variety. Pish-posh. I want to try again!

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:16 am

I’m also shocked you don’t have coconut oil!! ;)

• Fran Litzner — June 28th, 2012 @ 11:18 am

I don’t know what coconut oil is….and where do you find it…..? Is is solid or liquid?

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Coconut oil is… oil exacted from the coconut – it is solid at room temperature and you should be able to find it in the organic section of a store or a Whole Foods or near any oils. It melts when heated!

Laura — June 20, 2012 @ 7:14 pm

These look amazing! I have unsweetened coconut in the cupboard – do you think I can substitute? Or would you suggest adding something more to sweeten it? Thanks!

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:16 am

I think you can!

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — June 20, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Think these could pass as granola bars and be breakfast? Haha.

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Definitely.

marla — June 20, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

You are awesome ~ the word “drenched” makes these bars even more fab!

Cookie and Kate — June 20, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

These look phenomenal, Jessica! Dark chocolate and coconut, can’t get enough of it.

luv what you do — June 20, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

OMG…these look reeallly good!

mary k — June 20, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

I was catching up on your last few posts thinking to myself… she is hysterical, I would read this blog even if I didnt love the recipes (which I do!) but you just crack me up with the backstories and sidebars, and your blunt honesty! Then I got to “pretty little coconut square butts” and I just burst out laughing! You are too much! Thanks for sharing your love of cooking and your hunor :)

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Thank you so much Mary!

Anna — June 20, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

I was happily browsing my food blogs and then I came to a sudden stop when I saw these. Oh my goodness! Tt takes only a few minutes to put together. Waiting the 30 minutes as it cools is the hardest part. Happily cursing this recipe, as it is the slippery slope of making more and more and more…… THANK YOU!

Esther — June 21, 2012 @ 12:00 am

sometimes i get upset because there’s no way i’ll ever have time/enough people around/jeans capacity to make EVERY SINGLE THING YOU POST. seriously.

meg — June 21, 2012 @ 12:06 am

Yuuum! They have oats in them, so they’re healthy right???

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Obviously.

sweetmaddy — June 21, 2012 @ 6:03 am

Yum! I love nobake stuff! THANKS

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — June 21, 2012 @ 6:22 am

ohmygoodness….these look amazing…perfect exam/study food :)

morristownmemos — June 21, 2012 @ 6:32 am

You devilishly evil woman, you; just when I thought it was too hot to bake you come out with a no bake feast of gluttony. I cannot resist!!!!

Can you please explain why you use cocoanut oil in this recipe? What characteristic does it have? I have never used it and am anxious to learn.

• Jessica — June 21st, 2012 @ 7:14 am

Oh you must, must, must get some coconut oil! I am obsessed with all things coconut, but one of the reasons I used it in this recipe is because it is solid at room temp so it helps holds bars and granola and what not together, you know? It also has some healthier qualities than butter, so I mixed the two.

Devon @ The Food Bitch Blog — June 21, 2012 @ 7:51 am

Ha! I eat straight out the pan too. Gotta taste it & make sure its photo-worthy first ;)

alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — June 21, 2012 @ 8:01 am

I am totally making these!

teresa — June 21, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Well if these aren’t the yummiest little squares!
    Love how shiney the chocolate is!
    Must be the coconut oil!
    LOVE your passion for FOOD Sweet Girl!
    Adore you.
    Glad to know someone besides myself eats right out of the pan!

Caitlin F. — June 21, 2012 @ 11:08 am

I made these at 10pm last night. They became my midnight snack & breakfast this morning. Oops. Brought the rest to work and my co-workers are raving about them. Thanks lady!

Jenny — June 21, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

These look amazing and NO oven time-heyya! Perfect for my no airconditioned kitchen :)
    Thanks for sharing!

what katie's baking — June 21, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

my mouth is watering so bad.

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — June 21, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! I could bathe in a vat of coconut milk while eating these delicious delights on a daily basis.

Katie — June 21, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

You put everything I love in the title of this recipe. And with a phrase like “chocolate drenched,” I couldn’t resist. Can’t wait to make these!

Jenny — June 23, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

Oh stop it! Please, i’m beggin you! Soooo delicious!:D

Brittany — June 23, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

I just made these and they were AMAZING! One little thing I changed was I used salted butter and browned it before adding in the coconut oil. I <3 browned butter.

Brooke — June 24, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

I love your blog so much! i hope my blog can be as successful as yours one day!

Kate — June 24, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

I made these…and I can’t stop eating them. I basically hate myself right now. But I am also sooooo happy….chocolatey coconuty deliciousness. ;-) Thank you for sharing!

Lorry13 — June 25, 2012 @ 6:12 am

Looks like a delicious recipe! Should I use more/less coconut oil if its liquid? The darn Florida weather cant keep it solid and the jar says no refrigeration needed.

Kayla — June 25, 2012 @ 9:41 am

I made these in a smaller pan, so they’re a bit thicker. But O.M.G. I can’t get enough! Absolutely amazing! Now to find something else to do with all of this coconut oil…

• AnnMarie — July 8th, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Make more :)

danielle — June 25, 2012 @ 11:38 am

um… i have no idea what kind of chocolate to use.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — June 29, 2012 @ 8:21 am

You had me at “no-bake” !!! Haha but really. These sound amazing and like a dessert I’d actually attempt making. (seeyaneverbikini?) Don’t know what it is with me and baking, we just don’t get along ;) Can’t wait to try these!!!

AnnMarie — July 8, 2012 @ 11:00 am

I made these about 2 weeks ago and all i can say is omg, they are orgasmic (is it ok i say that? LOL) Can’t wait to make them again. Btw, you can also get coconut oil at Trader Joe’s :)

Hannah — March 20, 2013 @ 10:19 pm

These were amaze. I made them with the expectation that they would be, you know, good. But, ho no. I couldn’t help myself. They tasted sort of like a chewy granola bar (in the best way possible) and a nanaimo bar combined. My mum and I stood over with forks and had to hold ourselves back.

Parker Hills — April 8, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

Well I sincerely liked reading it. This article procured by you is very constructive for correct planning.

Linda — March 30, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

Can I use brown rice syrup instead of honey?

1. Pingback: thin + chewy chocolate drenched coconut oatmeal squares - - Network Panda – cPanel Web hosting, PHP, MySQL, unlimited disk space and bandwidth

2. Pingback: Hautelinks: Week of 6/21/12 – College Fashion

3. Pingback: fun facts friday

4. Pingback: Thank You Friday :: A Ladder Turned Clothes Rack | thank you summer

5. Pingback: » The Saturday Brunch Buffet 6/23/2012 The Live-In Kitchen

6. Pingback: » Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies The Live-In Kitchen

7. Pingback: The Weekend « Hot Pot

8. Pingback: I Swallowed (A Wine Tasting Recap) | Eating Chalk

9. Pingback: Coconut Bars and Food Processor Yummies | ourtinynest

10. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday: Chocolate Covered Coconut Oatmeal Squares | Mod City Mag

11. Pingback: Crunchy Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter Oatmeal Squares | Reini Days

12. Pingback: Tales of my NEW Commute « Triathlete Treats