1. Ummm… soooo… there is now a face baby blog! It’s sole purpose is to make you laugh and giggle. Today you can even try to guess what face baby is thinking. I would, but I’m afraid every time he looks at me he thinks I’m going to eat his face off. Because I might say those exact words… every… single… time.

2. Wait wait… I probably shouldn’t joke about that with this insane bath salts/zombie/face eating craze that is happening these days. WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR WORLD.

3. That cake… oh that cake. It’s like, made up of drugs or something. So insanely delicious. And no, I didn’t make it.

4. Last week I spotted lightening bugs for the first time this summer and seriously FREAKED OUT. I got so excited, like six-year old excited. And then I got even more freaked out, and was like how in the world is there an insect that LIGHTS UP?! What?! How does this happen?? Is is real? I wish I was an innocent child again.

5. And speaking of, do you call them fireflies or lightening bugs? I clearly call them lightening bugs, but I like to think that it’s just because I was never cool enough to call them fireflies. Pretty sure I took a poll on this last year, but now I’m old and can’t remember.

6. I cannot get enough of this “I Can Fly!” post. It makes me so happy. I have it bookmarked and look at it like three times a day. It’s the simple things, people.

7. So far I’ve watched the season finale of Girls five times. And it’s only Tuesday. Stop reading now if you haven’t seen it. Did Adam really get hit by a car? I almost died. And why do I like him? It makes me hate myself. Which ultimately… would make me fit right inside of Girls. Ew.

8. In another edition of “spices I hoard in weird places,” we see smoked paprika in my car. Amongst a bunch of other junk. AKA… The bane of my husband’s existence.

9. Oh oh oh… I made these artichoke squares on Sunday and… holy crapola – they were unreal. I also decided that they are healthy since they barely have like, any carbs at all!

10. My herbs are… not looking so hot? They look okay, but some of the leaves are turning lighter in color and even yellowish. Does this mean they need less sun? Should I pick them? Where do I put them? Can I hire a permanent gardener for three pots of herbs? Are permanent gardeners a real thing? They definitely get enough water but it’s like I stunted their growth or something. Smart people help please.

11. I really cannot stop listening to this song. I listen to it like thirty times a day. I’ve listened to it five times since I started typing this post. I heard it once and hated it, then continued to hear it all the time and continued to hate it. Like so much that I wanted to kick the radio. Then somewhere along the way, I became obsessed with it. That’s probably exactly what those smart music marketing people wanted. But it makes me feel like I need to put on cut off jean shorts, a dirty white tank top and not wash my hair for like twelve days.

12. It is soooo hot today, so I thought “oh! I’m going to try to eat something fresh and summery! Like tomatoes and maybe some leftover balsamic glaze! And OMG, I haven’t had a vegetable in about two weeks. Maybe I will take a few bites of raw broccoli and see what happens!” Then I ate a blueberry muffin.

13. A girl and her ball.

14. I almost said “presh” up there… but then I would have had to punch myself in the face. Unless one of you did it first.

80 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Alessandra — June 19, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

so glad the face baby blog is happening. made my day. i mean, it’s the little things, right?

janetha [meals & moves] — June 19, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

thanks for not saying presh. or totes.

fireflies.

blueberry muffins have fruit. that’s summery.. and good for you. job well done, jess.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 19, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

I just watched that Girls episode last night. I feel like I need to watch it again. It was too much of a cliff hanger for me! I need answers! It is weird I call them both lightening bugs and fireflies? I am noncommittal…

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — June 19, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

I can’t stop thinking about the Girls finale. Adam grew on me too, and now I feel mad at Hannah for being so mean to him. And I’m confused about Jessa. And excited for Shoshana. And I wish Marnie would hook up with that artist guy from her gallery in that one episode (who is also totally one of the guys from “Lonely Island” who did the SNL Digital Shorts…did anyone else notice that?)

brandi — June 19, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

ahhhhh face baby!! love this.

lightening bugs! ps: i met 2 people last year that had NEVER seen a lightening bug in their entire life. i don’t understand this. do they live on mars?

• Megan {Country Cleaver} — June 19th, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

I have to admit – I haven’t seen lightening bugs at all, ever in my life either… I guess that only further confirms that I need to come out and visit y’all!

• Kimiko — June 19th, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

I’ve never seen lightnening bugs either! I don’t think they exist in California…

• brandi — June 19th, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

come visit! you’ll see more lightening bugs than you thought existed. one of the best parts of summer!

Amy — June 19, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

So funny, I, too, HATED that silly song, because it said motor-boatin’, and I’m a perv. But now I am obsessed with the catchy song!!

I really hope someone give you (us) tips on the herbs, because every time I plant some (buy a plant at Trader Joe’s) they turn yellow and die, too :(

Lanette — June 19, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

*Girls Spoiler Alert*
    Don’t read if you haven’t watched the season finale!

Did Jessa seriously marry that dude? Weird…
    But I’ve definitely warmed up to Adam too. Weirder?
    Can’t wait for season 2!

Sarah — June 19, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

I’m more concerned with that fact that Marnie is making out with a fat weird guy. WHAT ABOUT CHARLIE?! I love him. haha.And Jessa and the creepy guy getting married? What the what? I’m so confused as to where this show is going. I love it.

Leslie — June 19, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

What kind of herbs? Could mean more water and less sun, depends if they need partial sun or full sun. Also, don’t water them middle of the day, could result in the “not looking so hot” but I will say that cake is looking hot right now. Is that weird?

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 19, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

You are just so flippin’ funny! I LOVE reading what you write (just thought you should know in case I hadn’t told you before. ;-) )
    That BABY!!! OMG!!! He’s so stinking cute! So glad you shared that site.
    And that cake, and that Bella…too much for me to handle on a Tuesday afternoon all at once, girl. ;-)

• Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 19th, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Oh yeah, and lightning bugs or fireflies? You know, I haven’t seen any since we moved to AZ 10 years ago and now I have absolutely NO idea what I called them because they both sound right.
      Perplexing. We’ll have to do a family vote and see what we come up with later. I’ll let you know.

Alysa (InspiredRD) — June 19, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

I SO miss lightening bugs. I hate that my kids don’t get to experience them like I did. Scorpions just don’t have the same “fun summer” effect.

Thanks for sharing my “I can fly” post. I’m so glad you love it :)

And your puppy? Presh to the max totes.

Eva — June 19, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

ok, but she IS precious! so cute!!

Krystal — June 19, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Face baby needs to be in movies or go on Ellen or something. Glad that little guy has a blog dedicated to his greatness :D

christina @ ovenadventures — June 19, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

if you didn’t post Tuesday things I would never know what day of the week it was
    I would be just as excited to see a firefly. I’ve never seen one before. I still haven’t watched Girls yet but I think I may have to start. :)

Hans — June 19, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Do you have the cake recipe? I kind of need to make it/eat it.

Amanda N — June 19, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Fireflies. Loving the facebabyblog, GENIUS idea. I think you should try and recreate that cake.

Chelsy — June 19, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Oh that face baby cracks me up, so glad there is a blog all about him now! Yes, Little Big Town and their Pontoon song is out of this world addicting…I just imagine myself floating on an inner tube drinking a margarita and everything is right with the world! :)

Phenomenal Lass — June 19, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

It sounds like your herbs are suffering from too much water. Do your pots have drainage holes? If not, there is probably water pooling in the bottoms of them, causing the roots to sit in water all the time. Think of it like a human – the yellow leaves are the plant’s way of telling you that it’s roots are pruney and it needs to come out of the bath now. Even if the topsoil is drying out, the soil deeper may not be. If you don’t have drainage holes, you may want to repot into something that does, or add some to the pots you’re already using. If my plants are in pots without drainage holes, I usually use a spray bottle to mist the soil, instead of a watering can. I also try to keep them out of the rain if possible.

Taking the herbs out and repotting may not be a bad idea either way. It would give you the chance to give them some drier dirt.

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — June 19, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

I also like Adam.. Blueberry muffin sounds summery enough to me!

Katie — June 19, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

I’m gonna admit it. I love Little Big Town. I have their album and I also love that song.

(And I know NOTHING of this face eating craze…whatevever it is scares me. So, I’m not even gonna ask.)

Kaelynn — June 19, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

OMG GIRLS. seriously my favorite episode so far. I kept going “this is so weird! but not in the normal Girls way everything is weird! it’s like, weirdly not Girls weird! oh god, he’s going to get hit by a car! oh god! get out of the stre—AHHH GASP” literally my commentary. and I know…I like Adam now…what is wrong with us?

I saw a lightning bug for the first time a few weeks ago while driving around an exit ramp and almost ran off the road in excitement. I’m surprised it took so long for them to work their way up to Pittsburgh just from Baltimore, as that was like 3 weeks ago. interesting.

yellowing leaves often signals overwatering. or the pot isn’t getting enough drainage and the bottom of the roots are too wet. a layer of rocks in the bottom of a pot helps this.

FaceBaby is totally bookmarked for my days when I’m feeling blue.

Erin @ The Food Doctors — June 19, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

My husband also freaked out when the lightning bugs came out. It was adorable.

AnnikaE — June 19, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

I hated the Pontoon song too when it first came out, but now I love it! Reminds me of summer days at the lake!

Bev Weidner — June 19, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

a) I have to punch myself in the face like 10 x a day for TOTES.

b) And adorbs.

c) Move the herbs into some shade for a smidge. Maybe they’re getting too suntanned and pissy.

d) I STILL FREAK OUT ABOUT LIGHTENING BUGS. Sorry to scream. But let me tell you, when I was younger it was like, the one thing I wasn’t scared of and I would let me friends “unscrew” their butts so that we could have magical glow in the dark nail polish and earrings.

e) That is really sad now that I really think about it.

Kacy — June 19, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

I think Adam is actually my favorite character. He’s so absurd and hilarious, but also genuine and kind of brilliant. Yeah I just said that publicly on the Internet, and I am ashamed.

Holly — June 19, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

White leaves means you’re watering your herbs TOO much!

Love these posts and look forward to Tuesday afternoons for just that reason. Wish there was also Monday, Wednesday and Thursday things, too :)

Katie — June 19, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

Loving facebaby. thanks for the share.
    yes. girls was awesome, but isn’t it always? (except the second to last episode.. it was not funny to me AT ALL. and I need a laugh from that show.)
    sorry about the herbs, all of my plants turn yellow too.. no clue why that is.
    love lightning bugs and want to put them in jars in my kids’ rooms tonight, maybe I will!
    Presh is completely acceptable, especially when talking about pictures of cute animals and babies
    it’s 95 today, so I had a panini for lunch and baked ziti for dinner.

Nicole — June 19, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

My husband calls them glow bugs…first time I ever heard that one!

Kayla — June 19, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

I actually prefer to call them “blinkers.” I think it suits more than fireflies or lightening bugs!

Jaime — June 19, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

Thanks to you I downloaded the entire season of Girls and watched most of it in one sitting. I too have come to kind of love Adam (mostly for calling Hannah out on her her shit). He’s weird, but apparently a hot, loveable kind of weird.

A bunch of people have already mentioned that your herbs are probably too wet. Also, depending on what you are growing make sure you are trimming/snipping them on a fairly regular basis, so they won’t bolt (flower) and end up bitter and yucky.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — June 19, 2012 @ 6:03 pm

Hahhaaha I love your veggie/blueberry muffin comment. That is SO me! ;)

Lorna — June 19, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

Umm, hello, where is that cake recipe???

Kelly — June 19, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

I wait all week for this post, it always cracks me up.

Pontoon seriously haunts me. I hate it so much and then love it pieces, just like Justin Bieber’s songs. I didn’t say that. Ok I did *giggles and runs away*

I feel you about the spices in random places. I found a vanilla bean in my makeup case this morning. Maybe the zombies are the normal ones and we’re the freaks.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 19, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

I never started watching Girls. But have wanted to with each and every Tues Things post of yours!

The herbs, I would guess less sun and more water but that’s just a guess.

And that cake..now THAT’s a serious piece of cake. And since I love anything artichokes, thanks for the reminder about Tracy’s squares.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — June 19, 2012 @ 7:18 pm

I think cool people say lightening bugs, cause that’s what I say. Fireflies? Nahhhh.

That cake looks amazing. I want some now!

Those artichoke squares look delish. I just posted some today too…I love that she doesn’t have crust, but they are still portable. AWESOME!

And face baby? Too cute.

Jennifer R. — June 19, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

Too funny on that song, Pontoon, I hated it at first and now it is on my iPod, downloaded it this morning, and the song is stuck in my head. I asked my hubby if we could rent a pontoon so we can play this song out on the lake.

meg — June 19, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

I think that when leaves turn lighter yellow it means that they are low on iron (which means there might not be enough in the soil). That’s what my mom told me anyways. Try getting some plant fertilizer (ask someone at a nursery- they have really good knowledge!) and see if that helps.

Caitlin — June 19, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

I don’t watch girls because i don’t have HBO, buuut, i watch Late Night with Jimmy Fallon every day on hulu, and he had Lena Dunham on his show, and she was utterly adorable. So was Jimmy actually.
    Here’s the link for all who would be interested, she’s on after Ice-T.

Beth B — June 19, 2012 @ 7:46 pm

Lightning bugs. And I want a PONTOON boat now!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — June 19, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

Lightening bugs are one of my favorite parts of summer!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 19, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

YESSSSSS for the face baby – oh my gosh, I die.

Dara — June 19, 2012 @ 8:56 pm
    Savannah — June 19, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

So glad you didn’t say presh… thats up there with delish, and other words Rachel Ray uses… You make me laugh, and your recipes make my life much more fun AND tasty! Never stop. kthxbye.

Michelle — June 19, 2012 @ 9:57 pm

If your herbs are turning light green or yellow you are overwatering. I did that to my basil last summer and it never quite recovered. Don’t water for a few days and they might be okay.
    Also, lightning bugs.
    Also, Adam has turned out to be kind of a good guy…

jennifer — June 19, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

i cannot believe i just sat here and watched the entire ‘pontoon’ video. i hated it when it started but could not stop watching it and by the end, i was wishing for a cold beer ‘only if the mountains are blue’. what?? i am already quoting the song??? i hate myself for watching it. stupid marketing people.
    p.s. lightening bugs

Anita — June 20, 2012 @ 7:03 am

Lightning bugs. But I’m from WV, so it’s probably a regional thing. And I’m totally intrigued by the sweater or towel or whatever is behind that paprika.

Calie — June 20, 2012 @ 8:35 am

The face-eating-crazy-people thing is just far to bizarre to not try to laugh about. It’s just too bizarre. I think the jokes are the equivalent of whistling when you are nervous. I live in Miami and I work at the Port of Miami, which happens to be the bridge next to the zombie sighting…and I’m not gonna lie, I now keep an eye out for crazy(er) people when I get to work. Bleh! Bath salts should bring up the idea of a relazing bath…not “I’M GONNA EAT YO FACE”…

Side Note: I love your blog & Miami is full of crazy people, but we have pretty clouds.

Jenna — June 20, 2012 @ 8:48 am

Argh. The finale of Girls was awesome/awful. Can you believe Jessa? That guy seriously creeps me out. I gave a “hear hear” when he freaked out on her and Marney for being spoiled, but the whole “I deserve this from you” bit was pretty gross.

Also, I think Adam was hit by a rearview mirror. Or something that protrudes from a vehicle. Because if he was actually hit by the car, wouldn’t he go flying? And I’ve fallen for him, too (against all struggle). (When he told her she was pretty and a good writer and not fat, I melted.)

Oh, Charlie. Why didn’t Marney see that wasn’t a joke?! Ugh. So cute.

(I realize now talking about Girls turns my conversational skills into mush. I talk all “ugh” and “aw.” Guttural sounds. Let’s call them “primal,” because that sounds better.)

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — June 20, 2012 @ 9:08 am

I definitely call them lightning bugs but fireflies sound so much better.

Katelyn — June 20, 2012 @ 9:58 am

So I think Adam is actually kind of great for being super encouraging (but not in an indulgent way) to Hannah. And I think she kind of sucks for falling asleep on the subway instead of being really freaked out about him GETTING HIT BY A CAR AND GOING TO THE HOSPITAL. Sorry about the yelling, there may have been yelling at my tv when I saw this the first time too.

1. Pingback: I love lists, Friday! – Shutterbean