I have a bone to pick with… the universe.

Sour Cream + Onion Oven Fries I howsweeteats.com

Who decided that July 4th, a fun and boozy holiday, should be on a freaking WEDNESDAY? Yeah yeah… it’s the 4th… blah blah blah… but can’t we like, just figure out a way to permanently make it on a Thursday and give ourselves a nice 4 day – hey, maybe even 5 day – weekend? Yes. Let’s do this. It works.

Sour Cream + Onion Oven Fries I howsweeteats.com

What. Ever.

Sour Cream + Onion Oven Fries I howsweeteats.com

But since it’s very possible that you are hugely hungover today, staring at your screen while trying to avoid the inevitable upchuck, I’m going to tell you about these fries.

Here’s the thing… I wasn’t a HUGE fan of sour cream and onion chips growing up. Well, unless they were Pringles. Mother Lovett always had the best chip collection, which she kept in a bedroom, located in the basement, in large plastic grocery bags stuffed between a dresser and the wall. So totally bizarre, I know. But every time we were at her house visiting, which was at least once a week, we’d survey the open chip bag selection in the kitchen then hightail it down to the secret chip hiding place and choose a new bag to bring upstairs. She was pretty infamous for Fritos and Party Mix (um, best junk ever), but Pringles made a very regular appearance as did Ruffles with about 17 different flavors of dip.

I don’t know about you, but I (along with my siblings and cousins) could HOUSE a tube of Pringles. They just like… disappeared before your eyes. Once you popped, you seriously couldn’t stop.

I feel this is the root of many of my life issues.

Sour Cream + Onion Oven Fries I howsweeteats.com

So oven fries.

This seasoning is sooo super simple. You just toss a bunch of stuff together, rub some oil into potato wedges, then sprinkle the seasoning on top and bake away. It’s not as artificially foul-smelling as the store bought stuff either. Yes, I’m making you turn on your oven again when it’s 187 degrees outside, but seriously? It’s worth it.

Sour Cream + Onion Oven Fries I howsweeteats.com

Sour Cream + Onion Oven Fries

[adapted from food.com]

serves 3-4

2.5 pounds yukon gold potatoes, cut into wedges

3-4 tablespoons olive oil

2 1/2 tablespoons powdered buttermilk

1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

3 1/2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill

2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray with non-stick spray.

Add potato wedges to a large bowl and coat with olive oil, using your hands to toss in order to coat evenly. In a small bowl, combine powdered buttermilk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and dill together and mix well. Sprinkle three quarters of the mixture evenly over the potato wedges, coating completely. Place potatoes on the wire rack and sprinkle with parmesan.

Bake for 20 minutes, flipping and tossing once, then for 15-20 minutes more, until golden and crispy. Remove and immediately toss with remaining sour cream and onion mix, and even more fresh dill. Serve immediately!

Note: I found powdered buttermilk in the baking section of my local grocery store!

Sour Cream + Onion Oven Fries I howsweeteats.com

Now let’s get to it, weekend.

82 Responses to “Sour Cream + Onion Oven Fries.”

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — July 5, 2012 @ 6:53 am

Wow, I made oven fries recently and loved them! (But I seasoned with pepper, sweet paprika, oregano, mustard, salt and olive oil).
    Definitely want to try the sour cream sauce!

Ali @ Peaches and Football — July 5, 2012 @ 6:58 am

Mmmm these look out of this world and there’s a huge pile of potatoes on my counter with no set purpose!

Definitely not fair that the 4th fell on Wed. Who even bothered to get to the fireworks? For us, they start almost at 10pm and you don’t get home until Midnight… I get up at 5:30… had to work today… not good combo. So I skipped. Very sad. Next year they’ll be on a Thurs though.

• Jessica — July 5th, 2012 @ 8:11 am

I didn’t see fireworks either! Mainly because I’m a dork and had to come home and go to bed.

• Ali @ Peaches and Football — July 5th, 2012 @ 8:15 am

I remember the days when I was young and could stay up forever. Once I hit 30 though… now I’m in bed around 10 every night. Such a party animal!

Rachel Cooks — July 5, 2012 @ 7:02 am

I need to eat these for breakfast. Right now.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 5, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Having 4th of July on a Wednesday was definitely weird. The whole day, I kept thinking it was a Saturday. It seriously threw me off!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 5, 2012 @ 7:11 am

I agree about life being fair on all those counts…. especially the calories in chocolate part.

These need to happen in my kitchen!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — July 5, 2012 @ 7:25 am

Ughhh ditto to the 4th being on a Wednesday. I envy those lucky people who have today and tomorrow off too. These wedges look awesome! Totally remind me of polishing off pringle tubes when I was younger. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie — July 5, 2012 @ 7:27 am

ugggg stupid work on stupid Thursday. I have off tomorrow anyway because my company does a every other friday off schedule, but I couldn’t take vacation time to take today too because i’m hoarding all my time off for my honeymoon.

and it’s like 80 thousand degrees in here right now. I guess they turned off the AC because they just assumed there wouldn’t be any suckers like me actually at work today.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — July 5, 2012 @ 7:36 am

These look amazing – I’ve never heard of powdered buttermilk!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 5, 2012 @ 7:45 am

OMG this is so weird… my grandpa used to have an enormous chip collection sitting in a closet in the basement and every time my cousin and I went over to “visit him”, we’d disappear off into the basement to sit on the couch and eat those chips. They were usually Ruffles, and in either sour cream & onion or dill pickle flavour, neither of which I was particularly fond of, but as a kid, chips are chips. We thought it was awesome!

• Jessica — July 5th, 2012 @ 8:10 am

It so must have been a generational thing!!

Nicole | Baking it on My Own — July 5, 2012 @ 7:45 am

Oh. My. Heavens. I NEEEEEEED to make these ASAP.

I’m pretty sure whomever decided to make July 4th on a Wednesday was the same person who decided that 1 tube of Pringles held at least 4 servings… AS IF! 1 tube of Pringles totally means 1 serving of deliciousness…. in my book at least.

• Jessica — July 5th, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Yes. 1 tube definitely = 1 serving.

Devon @ The Food Bitch Blog — July 5, 2012 @ 7:47 am

July 4th on a Wednesday should be outlawed. Today is fake Monday & I am NOT happy about it.

• Jessica — July 5th, 2012 @ 8:09 am

Fake Monday. Haha.

Quiche-ing Queen — July 5, 2012 @ 7:58 am

Oh my! I want to try these right now for breakfast!

Annie @ Annie's Noms — July 5, 2012 @ 8:00 am

I need these in my life right now. In fact I may have to walk and find buttermilk powder right now so I can make them. Yum yum yum get in my tum!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — July 5, 2012 @ 8:09 am

Oh I love the dea of using buttermilk powder on the potato wedges. This is sucj a great idea! How in the world do you come up with this?

luv what you do — July 5, 2012 @ 8:18 am

I couldn’t agree more! I have been advocating for the 5 day weekend in these parts because let’s be honest, yesterday felt like a Sunday and unless you have Monday off, Sunday is no fun!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — July 5, 2012 @ 8:20 am

Wow these look fantastic!! Potatoes on the grill are one of my favorite things, and your flavorings sound perfect.

Sadie — July 5, 2012 @ 8:24 am

I work for the company that makes the flavoring for those sour cream and onion chips. These ingredients sound much better.

Kelly — July 5, 2012 @ 8:29 am

Um…yeah…these are perfect? McDonald’s who??

As for deciding things…I want to know who decided summer started in LATE June. I feel like summer starts in March so when everyone is talking about the first day of summer I am like wait what?! It’s been summer for months right? I meaan 100 degrees in March can’t still be spring?

• Jessica — July 5th, 2012 @ 11:22 am

Don’t know how you do it. My face would melt off.

Jessica — July 5, 2012 @ 8:34 am

Somehow I managed to keep the boozing to a minimum yesterday, but that doesn’t change the fact that I now have NO IDEA WHAT DAY IT IS. Seriously, I tried to watch True Blood like 37 times last night. Nope. Not Sunday.
    PS these look phenomenal. SC&O chips have always been my fave.

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — July 5, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Well, it could´ve been on a sunday and that´s definitely the worst day for a holiday, it´s already a holy-day!! Me, on the other hemisphere, have perfect tº to turn on the oven and make this awesome fries!

Cait's Plate — July 5, 2012 @ 9:00 am

I definitely need to make these – my boyfriend would FLIP over them.

Katie — July 5, 2012 @ 9:12 am

No, but seriously?! Mid week?! Waking up early today was the worst…I needed it to be saturday. I’ll be first to sign that petition to move it a few days.

Also, I made oven fries for my dad and bro yesterday and they weren’t even close to how good these look.

Melissa — July 5, 2012 @ 9:44 am

But since the 4th was on a wednesday, the 1st was on a sunday (yay logic!), meaning that for all Canadians (yay me!), a 3 day weekend was had. And frankly, I rather enjoyed that extra day with my boyfriend and friends. Although it did make for a rather confusing time figuring out what was open and closed… some things were open on sunday\ and some weren’t, some were open on the monday and some weren’t. I digress.

How does the buttermilk powder taste? I’m wary of sour-dairy tasting things (cream cheese, sour cream, buttermilk) but love cream cheese frosting/cake, and sour cream and onion chips. Does it actually taste like the chips? LOVE the idea though.

• Jessica — July 5th, 2012 @ 11:21 am

I didn’t taste it on it’s own, but I really thought that the seasoning mixed tasted as close as it could get to the chips.

Stephanie — July 5, 2012 @ 10:26 am

Going to love making this. Sour cream and onion is one of my favorite chip flavors!

Laura — July 5, 2012 @ 10:26 am

okay…this right here
    “I’m pretty sure the same person that decided that July 4th should be on a Wednesday this year also decided to combine the words “skinny” and “jeans,” decided to put calories in chocolate, decided to make puppies grow up and decided that large amounts of tequila make you feel as if you’ve been drugged the next morning. None of this is fair.”
    MY LIFE..you understand me..ughh.
    also..YUMMM .

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — July 5, 2012 @ 10:40 am

I’m still with you when it comes to the oven! I’ve made a batch of breakfast cookies every 2 days for the last week! Sour cream & onion flavoring has always been my favorite, but for whatever reason I’ve never tried to figure out how to do it on my own…and this, my friend, is why I love you so much! You always figure out recipes for me!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — July 5, 2012 @ 10:46 am

I was kind of excited about 4th of July being on a Wednesday, because I thought it would be a nice way to break up the week…that is, until I decided that I was going to act like a college student again, and drink multiple mixed drinks plus beer last night. Ouch.

I could totally go for some of these fries right about now!

Moni Meals — July 5, 2012 @ 10:55 am

I hear you, fourth of July and a Wednesday=super lame. :-) But this recipe is fantastic!! Can’t wait to make it!

Ashley Bee @ Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine — July 5, 2012 @ 11:07 am

This looks fan-freaking tastic. I love homemade potato wedges/oven fries! I make some with truffle oil that are out of this world ;)

ellenbcookery — July 5, 2012 @ 11:12 am

oh my, these look so good that they’re making my mouth water.

Ashley — July 5, 2012 @ 11:14 am

The grill marks on these are awesome! I love the wedge shape instead of typical french fry, too. Faaabulous photos. I also am loving the photos of your shortcake sliders…fantastic!

margo — July 5, 2012 @ 11:15 am

Definitely worth turning on the oven for and this really is a perfect hangover food! Love your writing, made me laugh on a work day that really should NOT exist.

jude — July 5, 2012 @ 11:30 am

I’m confused. The recipe doesn’t list sour cream as an ingredient – what am I missing?

• Jessica — July 5th, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Have you ever had sour cream and onion chips or crackers? It’s a seasoning, it’s not actual sour cream. The flavor resembles sour cream and onion.

Bri — July 5, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

I am ca-razy about oven fries and oven fries with dill. Love these! Thanks for sharing. :)

Caitlin — July 5, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

That’s my mantra for the day.

I wish my advisors shared it. Instead, one of them just said she wished we got every Wednesday off from work. Who would want two Mondays a week!? (Yes, I realize you would have two Fridays then, but there’s no way it’s worth suffering through two Mondays.)

Candice — July 5, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

YUM. I’m pretty sure this would be a “Serves 2″ in my house. lol

sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 5, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

I have always wondered what the little genius sour cream + onion flavoring secret is! Had no idea what was in it, just knew that it blew my tastebuds away. LOVING it on fries!!

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — July 5, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

I’m droooooling.. these look great!

JulieD — July 5, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

Oh my, how about we do a trade, your fries for my cheesesteaks. I cannot. wait. until Sunday! Except for all of the traveling part! :)

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 5, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

These look and sound so delicious! You’ve got your photography down to a science, girl.
    And yes, Pringles totally rock. Why is it so freakin’ hard to put one of those canisters down?!

meg — July 5, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

Powdered buttermilk? I’ve never heard of such a thing! My husband is a bit of a lunatic and likes the house like an igloo in the summer and like a sweat lodge in the winter. Needless to say, I am glad to have the oven on in the summer!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 5, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

uuuuuuuuugh, i hate that the holiday was on Wednesday this year! i seriously canNOT remember it ever being like this before. LAME.

on the bright side i’m going to look for powdered buttermilk at the store today and then drown my sorrows in oven fries. yay me :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 5, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

These are the most perfect homemade oven fries ever ! Perfect grill marks!

And everything you just said about Mother Lovett and her food stash, snack mixes, cans of Pringles…omg my grandma, too!!! My mother never bought Pringles b/c with kids, it’s like a 1 serving meal and that tube is gone in a heartbeat. But that’s what Grandma was for :)

Lisa | With Style and Grace — July 5, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

FRIESSSSS!!!!!!

Elizabeth @ The Bare Midriff — July 5, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Powdered buttermilk = genius! Thanks for this recipe – I’m always looking for ways to flavor up roasted potatoes!

Kim in MD — July 5, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

I agree about the holiday yesterday, and boy…do these potatoes look incredible! I’ve been MIA for a few weeks- I was on vacation and then returned on Saturday night to a house with no power until last night! I finally am able to use my computer, and couldn’t wait to see what you have been cooking up, Jessica. I’m going to have fun exploring what I have missed since I left for vacation! :-)

Liz — July 5, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

I love potatoes – these look fantastic!

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — July 5, 2012 @ 7:46 pm

These look so delish. I would need to make extra because they would be jumping into my mouth right out of the oven. Good to know about the powdered buttermilk, I’m going to look for that now.

Katrina — July 5, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

Oh boy…this is maaaaad tasty looking!

themeaniongofme — July 5, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

These look fantastic – would’ve been great with tonight’s leftover 4th burgers. Too bad I didn’t see them earlier! Will definitely save for this weekend.

Oh, and sour cream and onion potato chips were my absolutle favorite childhood thing. Great on a turkey sandwich. :)

1. Pingback: Sour Cream and Onion Oven Baked Fries | The Luxury Spot

2. Pingback: Spicy Honey Pork and Sour Cream & Onion Oven Fries | What's Cooking In My Kitchen

3. Pingback: Parmesan Mozzarella Baked Cauli-Tots (aka Pizza-Tots) - Cupcakes & Kale Chips