Want to know something super embarrassing?

Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

I live for school supplies.

No, really… I live for this time of year. I walk in Target and want to lock myself inside a la Joey + Pacey style. I go bananas over sparkly notebooks and journals and mechanical pencils and multicolored erasers and folders with unicorns on them and then wonder why Lisa Frank didn’t design a line for people in their 20s. At least a line that was substantially less embarrassing and obnoxious. And I mean obnoxious in the most fantastic way.

Even thought I was totally the kid that has massive anxiety the night before school started – probably to the point that I should have been medicated… and probably to the point that my parents wish THEY could have been medicated – the weeks leading up to it were some of my favorite of the year. I didn’t even mind coming home from our yearly summer vacation in August – the sure signal that summer was over – because it meant that it was time to get paper and pens.

My mom once said to me, “giving you a pencil and paper is like giving a serial killer a gun.” Morbid but true. I am THEE doodler. I doodle on everything. I destroy leftover envelopes and pieces of mail. I used to cover my paper-bag wrapped text books in bubble letters and hearts and squiggly lines. Now that most of my life is taken care of electronically, I cover things like bills and magazines in geometric designs while I talk on the phone and do incredibly important things like watch DVRed episodes of The Hills. You may think that YOU can doodle, but I assure you that I can outdoodle most people. I’m all up for a doodle challenge.

Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

So as I was like, pouring bourbon over dark chocolate ice cream in a glass inside a dining room which is inside a house that I live in with my husband, I was just thinking that this is… weird. When did I get so old? Why am I old enough to drink bourbon for dessert and not purchase a new 6-pack of neon highlighters in August? I don’t know if I like this… except that I love it.

A few months ago I shared this float that I had for lunch. Yes lunch. We love some spiked floats in this house. Well, I enjoy them… my husband is NUTS over them. Adores them. They are like one of his favorite things. And one awesome thing about not having to go back to school in September? I can still have bourbon floats for lunch. Things are looking up, even if they aren’t covered in glitter pen.

Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats

Yield: serves 2

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

1 pint of dark chocolate ice cream
4 ounces of bourbon
2 bottles of cherry soda

Directions:

Fill glasses with ice cream. Pour in 1-2 shots of bourbon (or lots more). Pour in soda. Drink. Enjoy!

Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats I howsweeteats.com

The weekend is now complete.

132 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats.”

Caroline @ Pink Basil — August 3, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

Whaaaat?? Never would have thought of putting these flavors together, but it looks delicious!

Emily — August 3, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

I love buying school supplies too! We haven’t bought our school supplies yet this year but I am really excited to buy folders and pens and stuff. Also I love doodling and usually if I have a piece of paper and a pencil long enough, a horse drawing will appear on it. :) The float looks good except I would skip the bourbon.

Chrysa — August 3, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

I’m the same way with school supplies! Ready to skip down the aisle at Target and fill up on college-ruled paper, fresh new pens, and an eraser or two. [note: I turned 30 this year]. Every August I also feel the strong desire to go shopping for school clothes…which is funny since I haven’t done that in 13 years.

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

Yep same here. And prom dresses when Spring rolls around.

Amy @Macncheesenpeas — August 3, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

these look amazing!! I never stray from the classic root beer float but I wanna try these

Michelle — August 3, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

feswfemsalir0wq9rujwpiafjksdlafmds,l. (Translation: Must. have. float)

I love school supplies. My mom refused to buy any of the cool stuff growing up, so I was spent my years being jealous of those kids who did. It was totally unfair.

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

I was never allowed to get all of the cool stuff either. It killed me. But I could get some Lisa Frank notebooks, ha.

Mal @ The Chic Geek — August 3, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

yum! I wish I had one of these right now

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles — August 3, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

Definitely makes growing up worth it!

Although, I am a sucker for anything glittery, up to and including notebooks.

Do you remember those coloured gel pens? You could barely see them on regular paper, but on black paper they were amazing. I could definitely go for more of those. I’m starting grad school in a month, would neon gel pens and a sparkly notebook be acceptable?

Cause I really hope so. :-)

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

Um, I definitely still have some. :)

Eileen — August 3, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

The real question is: who doesn’t love notebooks and pens and paper? I know what to give my 7-y.o. niece for a non-edible treat, is what I’m saying. :) And I know what to give myself for a treat too–this float! Chocolate, cherry, and bourbon sounds fabulous!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — August 3, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

hahah paper bag covered books — i remember actually getting “written up” in school if our books weren’t covered. ohhh the good old days. This float looks to die for!!

• Jessica — August 3rd, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

Hahaha – same here!!

The Meaning of Me — August 3, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

And that is what I am having for my Friday evening treat! Looks awesome.

Carly @ Snack Therapy — August 3, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

I really believe you can do no wrong. I need this in my face, like, yesterday.

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut — August 3, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

You are such a hoot! (Hoot…yes, I said it). The float looks amazing. I’m a KY girl, so you KNOW I like Bourbon. ;)

tracy — August 3, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

you could have guessed that I LOVE SCHOOL SUPPLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy — August 3, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

I can relate to the day before school anxiety. I cried hysterically before going to high school (for days), trying to convince my parents that I needed to be home-schooled. Of course, I ended up actually enjoying high school, unlike my sisters, who were perfectly calm on their first day. Go figure.

Erin @ The Food Doctors — August 3, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

I’d trade 100 sparkly gel pens for that float any day!

From Valerie's Kitchen — August 3, 2012 @ 9:38 pm

Now, this is one dessert that packs a punch! I have never been a fan of bourbon but recently had a cocktail that had bourbon and champagne that changed my mind. Ice cream would definitely help as well!

RobynR — August 3, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

I remember seeing the float that inspired this on Crumbs. Thank you for finally posting a recipe. Yum!!

Dixie — August 3, 2012 @ 10:49 pm

I totally doodle all over everything too. To the point that it is possibly considered vandalism…I answer a lot of phones at the hospital and tend to doodle on the nearest anything while on the phone. Mouse pads. Tape that is semi-permanent on the table. The other phone…

The only reason I haven’t started taking notes on my laptop in class is because you can’t doodle in word!!!

Tracey — August 4, 2012 @ 5:59 am

There is a Lisa frank app for iPhone.

Vera Zecevic – Cupcakes Garden — August 4, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Mmmmmm! Yummy thinks! I’m dying for that on 35 C degrees in my town!

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 4, 2012 @ 8:41 am

Deliciousness! I love root beer floats so this looks right up my alley.

Uk Hils — August 4, 2012 @ 9:40 am

Jessica,
    How on earth can you say you’re old?!!!!!
    You’re just a babe at the moment barely out of school, I’m really old, you’re not! (though I don’t feel it- inside I’m twenty again….!!!!)
    I love this recipe, desert tonight. though not with bourbon – home made raspberry vodka and raspberry soda and homemade raspberry icecream,…..! Yummmmmmmmmmmm
    ( would be fab with blueberry vodka, blueberry icecream and blueberry soda??)
    Any type of Vodka: 1 litre Kilner jar, third fill with mashed fruit, third fill with caster sugar, and topup with Vodka or Polish spirit – if you can get it. Screw on top tightly. Shake Kilner jar every day for two weeks then once a week for 3months then it’s ready. Strain off fruit, bottle liquid. Use the fruit for deserts
    It’s fabulous – the fruit in trifle along with a good slug of liquor. Enjoy!

Uk Hils — August 4, 2012 @ 9:52 am

Ps I’m too old (60) to remember school! Or how I felt and in my day there weren’t any sparkly pens glitter or notepads….( Sob sob…!)
    So for those of you who think you’re old at 30 think again and enjoy your lives every minute of it, it only passes this way once, so make the most of it.
    Different subject: the olympics are wonderful – wish you were here – the Olympic park is fantastic as are all the stadiums and dromes. Fab seeing Michael Phelps win again and again. Hope you’re enjoying it as much as we are.

ally — August 4, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Totally unfair! Takes me back to my childhood! ally :)

Kathy — August 4, 2012 @ 11:12 am

I totally feel your school supply yearnings. Unopened packages of paper. The smell of newly sharpened pencils. Shoot. Think I need a bourbon float now.

Jenna — August 4, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

I was actually homeschooled during elementary and middle school. One of my frustrations was that I SWORE “public school girls’ parents” bought them more Lisa Frank stuff.

I would do anything to get back my old Lisa Frank trapper keeper with the baby tiger on it.

Mei — August 4, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

Everyone always thought I was crazy for loving chocolate or chocolate chip ice cream in my root beer floats or ice cream sundaes. This looks perfect to me, so delicious and refreshing and boozy. Yum. And those Talenti flavors oh my gosh kill me now.

Alyssa — August 5, 2012 @ 11:39 am

My mother and I just discovered a mutual love for bourbon, (aided by the leaked blueberry bourbon iced tea recipe from Plan B Burger) and now you have furthered this new summer obsession. Since you shared this lovely recipe with me, I will share with you. I hope you like blueberries

Blueberry Bourbon Iced Tea:
    Muddle together 1 oz. simple syrup with 2 oz. blueberries (I just use a handful). Add 2 oz. bourbon, lots of ice (but not too much!), and top with iced tea in a 16-oz tall glass. Shake and enjoy!

Omg it’s so good. I’ve had three since Thursday and I didn’t buy the bourbon or the blueberries…. shhhh. Don’t tell. :x

MikeVFMK — August 5, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

I was going to be the first person to comment but I figured it would be too easy. So I waited patiently until number 92 became available. Win. Anyway, these floats are insane. And by insane I mean they’re gorgeous and undoubtedly delicious. And fucking good. Really there was no other adjective fitting for such a heart-stopping float.

• Jessica — August 6th, 2012 @ 7:00 am

Ha! You are awesome.

sophia — August 7, 2012 @ 9:51 am

i am a doodler like you. my mom gave me a wall in my bedroom, and told me “have at it”. if we moved, it was always painted over. we didnt have much money, so we spent time in the thrift stores and garage sales finding any type of paper/boards and paint, plus brushes for me to use. by the time i was 40, i had every color pen, pencil, crayon available in the free world. and yes, i was a 40 yr old who was not afraid to show off my sparkly Lisa Frank Lunch box, with the bright Hot Pink bottom, and multi colored puppies with glitter on the side!! <3<3 I refuse to grow up <3<3

I'm 46 and i have a mom cave. this si where there is no drama, no fighting, no crying, no whining. a big fluffy couch that you disappear into the cushions, they are so old and fluffy. perfect for naps, 2 fans for comfort. a palsma TV, a DVD player, and Xbox 360, and a computer with a Wacom tablet hooked to it. i drink coffee there, clip coupons, peel potatoes, devein shrimp, design my graphics, everything in this room. Lisa Frank pencils dominates my 4 coffee mugs full of multi colored ink pens.

L H — August 7, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Omg! I have loved your blog and followed it for so long. Excited to see that you used Talenti Gelato, that’s my husband and I’s company. I’ll have to give these floats a shot.

• Jessica — August 7th, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

Are you kidding me?! I’ve been obsessed with Talenti for years!

Kristin — August 13, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

school supplies were theee only good part about going back to school, and i still get excited when Target puts everything out! i might have even bought 2 notebooks the other day (they were covered in drawings of desserts!). i’m still on the hunt for a pink glitter pen, though … oh how i miss lisa frank.

meatballs & milkshakes — August 15, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

These look amazing, I’m pinning them immediately!

dani — August 21, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

I love this idea since my favorite alcoholic drink includes jim beans red stag black cherry bourbon! I am going to use this asap! Thank you!

Whit — August 22, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

I just found you via Pinterest- love your recipe and love your writing just as much! I too LOVE school supplies and back-to-school shopping even though I’ve been out of school for 12+ years…just wanted to tell you Bravo! :)

debbie — August 22, 2012 @ 10:53 pm

Thanks for the great recipe, I think I am going to make a last minute run to the store, if I can just drag my self away from pinterest! And who doesn’t love school supplies! I just graduated and I am having new school supplies with drawls!
    Thanks again!

Frozen Drink — November 9, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

Wow it’s been years and years since I’ve had a float. This adult version looks like a good one to try. Thanks

Alyssa — November 18, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

OMG so my mom and I made these today…. Best. Thing. EVER. Like, I died a little. I only want to drink these from now on for the rest of my life. Thankyouthankyouthankyou for this.

Amanda — January 22, 2013 @ 6:38 pm

What kind of cherry soda did you use, and where is it sold? I don’t recall seeing cherry soda sold anywhere… Thank you!

Chrissy — January 26, 2013 @ 10:23 pm

Ooooh myyyyy gossshhhh! I just made one and love it! You done good, girl.

Sarah — July 24, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

This dark chocolate bourbon cherry soda floats looks so good!! Perfect for a leisure evening in weekend after dinner…yum…Thanks for posting it. I had featured u in the post of Top 7 Sweet and Alluring Cherries Recipes on AllFreshRecipes, i’ll pay close attention to ur updating recipes!

dani — August 12, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

I came across your blog and just read a few random entries and, I don’t know, I love you. This recipe looks particularly good. And a big YAY for school/office supplies. Also, I’d very much like to see some of your doodles :)

1. Pingback: Link Love: Week 1 « The Lamppost

2. Pingback: Stumbling Over Chaos :: Lachrymose linkity

3. Pingback: Mix It Up: Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Floats | The Sweetest Occasion

4. Pingback: National Chocolate Day Desserts | Best Friends For Frosting

5. Pingback: Best way to enjoy a lot of bourbon | yummyfoto

6. Pingback: Top 7 Sweet and Alluring Cherries Recipes - All Fresh Recipes

7. Pingback: 19 Reasons Ice Cream Floats Are The Perfect Summer Treatdaylish.com | daylish.com

8. Pingback: 19 Reasons Ice Cream Floats Are The Perfect Summer Treat | シ最愛遲到.!

9. Pingback: Food – Perfect Ice Cream Floats for a Perfect Summer Treat | Everything Cool

10. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats | Destination Wedding Store

11. Pingback: a sweet occasion: father’s day | Frances & Smeeks

12. Pingback: Roasted Cherry Bourbon Milkshakes with Hot Fudge | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Sweet Floatie Goodness: Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Floats

14. Pingback: foodopia: Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats

15. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Floats ‹ PARTY PLANNERS LONDON | EVENT ORGANISERS LONDON

16. Pingback: Whatever FLOATS Your Boat | The Lucky Duckling

17. Pingback: Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Cola Float Cupcakes | Booze, Sugar & Spice

18. Pingback: Friday Favorites + $225 VISA Gift Card Giveaway! | Iowa Girl Eats

19. Pingback: Scotch or Bourbon? It's Time For A Whiskey Cocktail

20. Pingback: 5 Fun Alcoholic Desserts for the Summertime - Julio's Liquors

21. Pingback: We All Scream for Ice Cream Soda Floats | DRINKING IN AMERICA

22. Pingback: Friday Links & Favorite Things | scratchpaperstudio

23. Pingback: Pacific Merchants Trading Company - Blog

24. Pingback: Fantastic Float Recipes for Summer

25. Pingback: Dark chocolate bourbon cherry float - emerald + ella blog : emerald + ella blog