Well lookie here… it’s one of my favorite things.

A salad without the vegetables. Can things BE any better?*

Yes. Yes they can. You can scoop your salad up with chips. Thin and crispy, authentic tortilla chips. Salty ones. Crunchy ones.

Or at least the remnants of salty and crunchy ones that sit in the bottom of the bag, ravaged and tired after someone’s hand spent the majority of it’s weekend deep down inside, just missing the crumbs.

This is the kind of salad you eat on a Monday. When you really want to continue eating things that you ate all weekend, like marshmallow fluff blizzards, bourbon floats, pork belly and giant breakfasts. It’s the kind of salad that you pretend will make you feel all lovely inside.

Actually. Wait. No. It’s the kind of salad that I pretend will make ME feel lovely inside. Your salad will probably have lots of green stuff and broccoli and celery and vegetables and stuff that normal people eat during the week. I wish I was you.

Instead, I’m me.

I have no idea what was up with me this weekend. To say I was a bottomless pit is a complete understatement. I could NOT get full. I felt like I was eating nonstop. There have been few moments in my life when I’ve felt the same and it seems to come on every few years or something. No matter how much I shoved down my throat, I wanted more. More more more! As I sat at the dining room table literally shoveling this salad into my mouth on tortilla chip boats, my husband was staring at me like what in the WORLD is going on. I managed to say through mouthfuls, “I just can’t get FULL. I don’t know what it is.” And then he said, “neither can I! I’m starving,” and proceeded to eat three cheeseburgers with a whole sweet potato.

Story of my life.

Summertime Grilled Corn, Chicken + Blueberry Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette

Yield: serves 2

Total Time: 15-35 minutes (depending on what cooked items you already have)

2 1/1 cups butter lettuce, chopped
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 limes, juiced
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
tortilla chips for serving

n a large bowl, mix together lettuce, corn, chicken, avocado, blueberries, tomatoes, bacon and feta. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then toss thoroughly.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, olive oil and vinegar. Pour over salad, then toss once more. Serve with tortillas chips.

*I might have watched ten million episodes of Friends this weekend. No.Life.

122 Responses to “Summertime Chopped Salad. (…with, uh… chips.)”

ellenbcookery — August 6, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

Rachel — August 6, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

Looks so refreshing! Yum!

Andreja — August 6, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

Very good, I like it

wendy — August 6, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

I love reading your blog daily.. you make me laugh! Thank you for putting it all out there! I identify with much of how you express things.. you are talented in writing … and cooking!

toni k — August 6, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

can i just be frank? i love your blog!!!! these pictures give me life after a long day of work. and that chopped salad……..lawd.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — August 6, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

Love this!! Great recipe :D

Jessie @ Life As A Strawberry — August 6, 2012 @ 8:44 pm

This is SO my kind of salad. Love it.

PS I own all ten seasons of Friends – it’s basically the best thing ever. No big deal. Totally support your watching a million episodes in a row.

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — August 6, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

Your pictures always look so wonderful! & the salad looks amazing too!

Patti — August 6, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

This was amazing! Son and hubby were skeptical about feeling full but both loved it and will for sure have it again. I added a small vidalia onion and pine nuts, so yumm!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — August 6, 2012 @ 11:29 pm

I love blueberries in veggie salads!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — August 7, 2012 @ 2:37 am

This is my kinda salad, too! The less veggies, the better :)

Alaina — August 7, 2012 @ 6:37 am

“I just can’t get full!”. The last time I remember feeling that way I decided to take a pregnancy test. Welcome baby no.2 :)

tania@mykitchenstories.com.au — August 7, 2012 @ 6:52 am

That is almost a perfect way to eat salad… go on get full

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 7, 2012 @ 7:10 am

This salad sounds fabulous! I often have days where I can’t get full. Someone told me recently that when that happens it often means you’re actually dehydrated. I’ve been drinking a lot more water since then and I don’t seem to have as many days. I think the trick is to drink the water before that cycle of hunger starts.

Michelle @Amourbeurre — August 7, 2012 @ 7:54 am

Ummmm, yes please! My friend and I made a similarly un-salad looking salad last night to watch the olympics with. The best salads are the ones that you have to go searching for greens in!

Mary Cottingham — August 7, 2012 @ 8:11 am

Two times in my life, I’ve had that can’t get full thing! The reasons are now 30 and 26. If you also “can’t get enough sleep,” you might want to pee on a stick. Love your blog! My husband and I are always trying your recipes!

daniela @ foodrecipeshq — August 7, 2012 @ 8:28 am

I love blueberries but I’ve never thought to add to a salad. Worths trying it!

Maria — August 7, 2012 @ 9:35 am

This looks amazing! I am def trying it this week! :)

Sloane @ Life Food and Beer — August 7, 2012 @ 9:36 am

I love chopped salads! And the Honey Lime Vinaigrette sounds really good and different. It would be good on my fruit salad I have planned for lunch.

Myha — August 7, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Wow – I have NEVER thought of adding blueberries to a savory salad. Strawberries, apples, grapes, but blueberries?! Thanks for broadening my options! Can’t wait to try this one out!! :)

Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth — August 7, 2012 @ 11:17 am

I just love big chopped salads like this! I tend to order them at restaurants, but don’t make them myself! I don’t know why, I need to start with this one!

Sarah — August 7, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

I am so glad Mike and I aren’t the only ones who do that. Stare at each other in disbelief and then agree that it is something both of us are experiencing. This looks wonderful, I am that veggie girl who will add a crap load of anything green, orange and red into my salads. I’m thinking broccoli slaw would be a nice touch. Yum!

kita — August 7, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

This has reminded me that a) I need more salads in my life and b) I have not had feta in my house in far too long… double guilt.

Christina — August 7, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

I totally get that feeling once in a blue moon. And I’m never like “oh, quinoa and vegetables, maybe these will make me feel full.” It’s always “WHERE is my Five Guys and cinnamon rolls?!”

Laura Drury — August 7, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

oh my!! This is the BEST salad I have ever eatin in my life! Thank you for this recipe! All of the fresh ingredients blend so well together!! LOVE IT!!!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — August 7, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

Nice chopped salad! I am liking the addition of the blueberries!

luv what you do — August 7, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

OMG! That is a beautiful salad!!!

kristy @ gastronomical sovereignty — August 7, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

i can’t say i agree with your vegetable philosophy but i do agree with this salad – lookin’ good sister!

p.s. i’d also love to see you at the Wednesday Fresh Foods Blog Hop tomorrow – feel free to make it if you can. xo, kristy.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — August 7, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

This looks really similar to a summer salad I make – but I can see I need to add me some bacon!!! :)

Sarah — August 8, 2012 @ 10:00 am

I made it for dinner last night. It was so good! Plus it was Husband approved which is hard to do in the salad department. Thanks much!

Ali — August 8, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

this salad is what I am making tonight!
    It looks delicious!

Also you are hilarious, don’t ever stop writing or loving sparkles or 80/ 90’s shows.
    Your blog always makes my day!

Whytney — August 9, 2012 @ 4:28 am

Do you even KNOW how much I want to make this? A LOT. Alas, it is still winter here, thus most of those deliciously amazing looking ingredients aren’t yet available -sigh-. I find it very difficult living on a healthy/tasty diet in winter with so little fresh produce available (except pumpkin, I love pumpkin!!) However. Come spring/summer, this salad is going to be high up on my list of priorities!!

Lara — August 9, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

I made this for dinner last night and doubled the recipe….and in no time, three adult mouths (mine, boyfriend, and teenage daughter) had devoured the salad and BF licked the bowl clean. No lie.

It was a-mazing! Thank you for the recipe! Keep ’em coming!

Amanda — August 14, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

We made this tonight and it’s a keeper!! We actually grilled the bacon, too, which was fantastic (I’m a crispy bacon lover). Thanks for yet another great recipe!

Natalie @ In Natalie's Shoes — August 21, 2012 @ 11:54 am

OMG! You could even call this “salsa” and bring it to parties. My mouth is watering for this “salad” and it’s only 9 am.. Yikes!

dcerosion — August 23, 2012 @ 5:41 am

This is a gorgeous salad.

@dressesau — August 28, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

We made this tonight and it’s a keeper !

Sanne — September 7, 2012 @ 8:51 am

I made it, I ate it and I LOVED IT! I ate it without the bacon and chicken, but still.. yummie! The combination of all this with the blueberries, very nice. Thanks!

wedding — March 18, 2013 @ 8:35 pm

At least the remnants of salty and crunchy ones that sit in the bottom of the bag,

Elias Mestemacher — April 22, 2013 @ 7:50 pm

Broccoli is classified in the Italica cultivar group of the species Brassica oleracea. Broccoli has large flower heads, usually green in color, arranged in a tree-like structure on branches sprouting from a thick, edible stalk. The mass of flower heads is surrounded by leaves. Broccoli most closely resembles cauliflower, which is a different cultivar group of the same species.”

The latest posting produced by our own web portal

Carrie — May 9, 2013 @ 9:38 pm

Just made this recipe tonight…left out the feta because…well, it had gone bad. I added old cheddar instead. My boyfriend and I loved it! Thanks for another great recipe!

Rachel — May 26, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

Wow, that was the best salad I’ve ever had!

Tasia — June 7, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

I just wanted to say that I made this again for the second time last night but this time i actually baked the chickpeas as well. YUM YUM YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM flavor explosion.

Hermine Patajo — July 1, 2013 @ 9:48 pm

Although pregnancy begins with implantation, the process leading to pregnancy occurs earlier as the result of the female gamete, or oocyte, merging with the male gamete, spermatozoon. In medicine, this process is referred to as fertilization; in lay terms, it is more commonly known as “conception.” After the point of fertilization, the fused product of the female and male gamete is referred to as a zygote or fertilized egg. ^”*

Our new web page <http://www.healthmedicine101.com

Celebrity Dresses — July 6, 2013 @ 4:28 am

OMG! This looks amazing! I am def trying it this week! :)
    Gourmet cuisine and beautiful dresses were always together!!!!
    Our new web page: http://www.ogotoshop.com/sales-junior-prom-dresses-te-19.html

Allison @ thebakingyear — July 14, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

yum! I had a salad like this at dinner last night – so delicious and fresh!!

Allison — July 31, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

This has become a staple at our house. And even the salad that is most requested at friends’ BBQs. To save on time, I typically just buy cooked bacon from the hot bar at whole foods.

Lauris H — April 3, 2014 @ 6:22 am

Your site is super!

Kim — April 23, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

Oh my gosh…just had this for dinner and it was SO DELICIOUS! Can’t wait to make it this summer! It screams SUMMER! And was so refreshing and delicious in every way…I substituted raspberries because the blueberry price at the grocery store nearly knocked me over…and i used frozen/defrosted corn because it is not sweet corn season here yet…but it totally worked! Already added this to our summer time cabin meal list! Highly recommend!

(And I never post on blogs…so, the fact that I did should speak THOUSANDS. This is SO GOOD!) Make it…ENJOY IT!

Thanks for the great recipe!

Cheri — July 20, 2014 @ 1:32 am

how does this salad keep in the frig.? could i hold some of the avacado back, then add it on day 2, so it would’t discolor?

1. Pingback: Avocado Brownies with Avocado Frosting | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Sunday Favourites « Mish's Kitchen

3. Pingback: Sweet Redemption | not your typical belle

4. Pingback: This Weeks Menu | From This Kitchen Table

5. Pingback: Blueberry recipes and illustrations

6. Pingback: Fresh Summer Chopped Salad with Homemade Seedy Crackers « Cooking College Chick

7. Pingback: Friday Five! Meals, Blogs, Workouts, etc.

8. Pingback: 47 No-Cook Summer Dinners (with 8 Bonus No-Bake Desserts!) | Kitchen Treaty

9. Pingback: Ten Delicious Summer Salad Recipes #Recipe #Summer

10. Pingback: You guys, I baked! | Hawk & Pigeon

11. Pingback: No More Hiding | Wicked Healthy Washingtonian

12. Pingback: Summertime Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette Grilled Corn and Chicken | What2Cook

13. Pingback: Meal Plan: Spring 2014 Week 9

14. Pingback: good recipe alert | Jessica Hansen

15. Pingback: Salads, Pancakes, Cookies & Chocolate: Food of Late

16. Pingback: how to get excited for salad. | Cody, Uncorked.

17. Pingback: CHOPPED and so happy about it | Let's Have Mixture