I guess I really like my skillet this week!

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

That was unintentional. Maybe. Accidentally on purpose? I think so.

But can we talk about something? The brussels. Oh the brussels. I’m a little weepy because it was exactly two years ago that I tried them for the first time (well, for the first time prepared correctly, not like, only steamed with salt and pepper and thus inducing massive gag reflexes… which consequently ended up with me refusing to try something so horrific) and because I’m not dramatic or anything, well… it sort of changed my life. Except it really did. For real.

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

Before the brussels came into my circle of trust, I could handle some onions and mushrooms and peppers inside of things, but the only vegetable I actually enjoyed and could semi stand was kale in chip form. Trust me. I know. I find it freakishly insane that for someone who doesn’t even like vegetables, the two that I enjoy the most are kale and brussels sprouts. Like, the two most disgusting things on the planet that smell gross and are just, blah. Well, wait. The one thing on the planet I realllllly can’t stand are fennel seeds. I like fennel, but fennel seeds? OMG gag me with a spoon. Puhlease somebody just banish them from this world. It would make my entire life.

So two years later and we’re still going strong. In order to celebrate, I chopped the brussles and threw them in a hot-as-heck skillet, making them sizzle out of their minds. But I tossed them in bacon grease, so that’s where all the love comes in. You seriously want to be in a relationship with me. I swear.

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

I must tell you though that this sooooo would not be breakfast in my house. I mean, maybe like, once in a blue moon. Maybe once a year? Maybe if it was leftovers? It just seems much more like dinner to me. Perhaps it’s because I grew up in a house that was stark raving MAD every morning before school (no really, pretty sure my dad had to THROW THINGS at my brother to get him out of bed) and on the weekends came pancakes, not potatoes and eggs. That was a speciality that my mom would whip out for dinner when my dad was away since he isn’t a breakfast-for-dinner fan and you know what? Neither is my husband. What is wrong with these people? What is my issue with men in my life and breakfast in the evening?

There has to be some subliminal meaning.

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

Now here I find myself with an entire skillet full of vegetables – very elated vegetables I may add, thankyouverymuch bacon – topped with some eggs… and actually consider it a meal. With really buttered, really seedy, really fluffy and crusty toast, of course. It’s basically like eating a skillet full of autumn. And who doesn’t want to eat a skillet full of autumn?

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 garlic cloves, minced
10-12 brussels sprouts, stems removed and sliced
3-4 large eggs
salt + pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until crispy and fat is rendered, then remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel. Slightly reduce the heat under the skillet and add onion and sweet potato, tossing to coat. Cook until sweet potato has softened, about 6-8 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Add sliced brussels sprouts and stir to combine, cooking them until soft and caramely, another 5 minutes or so. In the meantime, poach or fry eggs, cooking until desired doneness. Serve immediately with buttered toast!

Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash I howsweeteats.com

I sure do… at least for dinner.

135 Responses to “Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash… For Dinner.”

Erica @ Coffee & Quinoa — October 24, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

Is it bad that I totally love brussels sprouts steamed with not even salt and pepper? Although this is much fancier :)

christina @ oven adventures — October 24, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

The only way i’ve ever seen/smelled brussels is steamed and frankly it’s disgusting.

i may, may just have to try brussels sprouts like this. i don’t know if i can bring myself to do it but i feel with you are my virtual hand holder so I might be able to do it.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — October 24, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

So glad the man in my life loves breakfast for dinner and will actually cook it up for me!

Jenna — October 24, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

I can’t stop staring at these photos….it just looks so good!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — October 24, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

this looks delicious! would love to try it with some pancetta, my personal salty meat fave :)

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — October 24, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

I am alllll about the shredded brussels lately! This sounds delish.

Kelly — October 24, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

Yum! This reminds me a bit of one of my favorite local brunch spots. They put brussels sprouts on a pork belly eggs benedict that is fantastic! I know people don’t naturally associate brussels sprouts with breakfast but it absolutely works IMO.

Kristen — October 24, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

Stark raving mad sounds very familiar. I can picture my daughter writing a blog post some day using those exact words about our household.

Love this hash!

• Jessica — October 24th, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

hahahah – i can imagine you can relate! my cousin actually brought it up the other day, like how annoying it is that tv shows and movies show these huge families eating big, real breakfasts (like pancakes, eggs, bacon, the works) every school morning. as if life isn’t one giant shitstorm every morning trying to get 3-4 kids out the door.

Eileen — October 24, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

This hash sounds like the perfect fall breakfast! Or dinner…or brunch. Any of the above. :)

Susan — October 24, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

This is my type of hash! I’m right there with you, up until a few years ago there were only a few vegetables I would eat. Now, put it in front of me, and I’ll eat them all and I love my brussels and kale!

Christie Preston — October 24, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Made this for dinner and it was DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing :o). Loved eating a skillet full of autumn! ღ

Thesha — October 24, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I totally agree with you about fennel seeds…who was the nut job that decided to start putting them in everything? I don’t care if they were the healthiest thing on earth, I still wouldn’t eat them! Brussels sprouts on the other hand are delicious even though I am the only one in my house that feels that way.

Kitty — October 24, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

Oh, God I’m so hungry and I don’t have any food in the house and all I want to eat is this!!

Emily @ Life on Food — October 24, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

This is the best kind of dinner and the most perfect way to eat eggs.

Rachael {SimplyFreshCooking} — October 24, 2012 @ 11:29 pm

Those photos are killing me! And yes please, I’ll take some of that bacon grease with my brussels sprouts. I do think I love you! ;)

MovieBear — October 25, 2012 @ 2:03 am

Why are Americans always so hell-bent on cooking Brussels sprouts the wrong way?
    As a 100% pure-bred Belgian, I can tell you: steaming sprouts is the WORST thing to do! Want to make ‘m the real Belgian way? Here goes:
    Leave them whole, but cut just the foot off, and make a small crosswise slice in the bottom. Toss them in boiling salted water with a pinch of sodium bicarbonate (to keep the green color). Leave them in for about 5 mins, then drain.
    In a pan, melt a good blob of real butter (don’t even think about substituting for anything else!!). Add the sprouts and fry them until they start to have little sides of brown and start to go soft. Season with salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar and the magic ingredient: fresh nutmeg!
    (Yes, you can add bacon if you want too)
    Remove from heat, and stir in another knob of butter to leave them nicely shiny.
    Believe me, they are delish this way!
    Trust me, I’m Belgian. ;-)

• Gary — March 11th, 2013 @ 10:59 am

This sounds delish! I will have to try this soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lisa — October 25, 2012 @ 6:31 am

Fennel makes me want to cry!! Seriously. Why does it have to ruin so many great recipes??

Lanessa — October 25, 2012 @ 6:43 am

Fennel is a great addition to porketta!!

Erin — October 25, 2012 @ 7:03 am

oh em gee – get in my belly!!! making a special grocery stop just to make this tomorrow…be still my heart!!!

Fran@fransfavs.com — October 25, 2012 @ 7:22 am

Great minds think alike! I was into Brussels sprouts and eggs recently myself. Your version looks great! Have a look at mine: http://www.fransfavs.com/2012/10/poached-eggs-with-creamy-brussels-sprouts-and-bacon/

Angela — October 25, 2012 @ 7:53 am

Ooh my husband would love this! He loves brussel sprouts. I can’t wait to try it.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — October 25, 2012 @ 8:19 am

what a cool looking dish- great photos!

Meghan @ the tasty fork — October 25, 2012 @ 9:07 am

I never would have thought to put Brussels sprouts in a breakfast dish! Your recipes continue to inspire me. Thanks for posting, Jessica!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — October 25, 2012 @ 9:45 am

Oh beautiful bacon, maybe you can help me get over my aversion to brussels. Did you know that Trader Joe’s is now selling shredded brussels? I bought some in hopes to try and ease into liking brussels sprouts, with maybe this or maybe a slaw of some kind.

Nancy — October 25, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Jessica!!!! Have you seen this?? BACON OF THE MONTH!! http://www.amazingclubs.com/bacon.html?gclid=CN38lMisnLMCFYZaMgodXDAAbA

I just saw this on Kelly & MIchael : ) thought of you!

Have a wonderful day !!

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — October 25, 2012 @ 10:29 am

This is beautiful Jessica!

The Food Hound — October 25, 2012 @ 11:58 am

First of all, great pics- sprouts never looked so good :) Second of all, YES- sprouts can be delicioso if prepared with bacon. Well, anything is good with bacon. I would totally eat this for dinner any night. And that egg? Mmmm :) Why do I read blogs before lunch???

Colette @ JFF! — October 25, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

Who knew brussels sprouts for breakfast could be so inviting?

Stacey at The Sunday Sparkle — October 25, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

yum. thankfully, i have all in my fridge. dinner tonight = no decisions.

Sharyn Dimmick — October 25, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

You know how you feel about fennel seeds? Well, that’s how I feel about bacon grease — that stuff is not meant to be eaten! Bacon, yes, Bacon grease, no. I like Brussels sprouts just about any way except boiled to mush or fried in bacon grease. Congratulations on expanding your vegetable kingdom: sweet potatoes are vegetables, too. Your dish could be happy as breakfast, lunch, dinner or brunch.

Beckett @ Birchwood Pie — October 27, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Made it for brunch this morning. When the sweet potato and red onion hit the skillet, it was so beautiful. A lot of work to chop everything up, but worth it and I will definitely make this again – and am pschy’d over the leftovers!

Sara — October 28, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

Okay, so I want to make a brussel sprouts dish for Thanksgiving, but there is a severe lack of cooking/warming space in the kitchen, so I really can’t make something that day. How do you think brussel sprouts would hold up if I were to cook them the day before (some kind of brussels and bacon-type dish, probably) and warm it in the microwave before serving? Or, better yet, would any of your brussel sprout recipes work served cold?

You do wonderful things to brussel sprouts, so I figured you would be the best person ask. Thanks!

Cookie and Kate — October 29, 2012 @ 12:49 am

This dish is killing me. So good.

Jen — October 29, 2012 @ 7:25 am

Since you posted this recipe last week, I have seriously made this dish 4 times! Yes, 4. The first time was for dinner- and my husband wasn’t too sure until he tasted it. Then it was requested 3 more times are breakfast…love it! We’ve also been trying to eat more paleo meals, so this fit perfectly and feel slightly sinful with the bacon. Thanks!

Johnna — November 1, 2012 @ 9:21 am

Just made this last night for my boyfriend. I think he loves me now ;) It was a great recipe, for sure a keeper!

Simone — November 14, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

Recipe win. Tastes amazing. Looked amazing. I never had brussel sprouts before – they are now addicting. They are like mini heads of lettuce and are the cutest things in the world.

Anne — December 12, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

We just ate your hash and it tasted amazing! The BEST dinner on a cold and snowy winternight :-)

Becca — January 30, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

Made this for dinner tonight (without the bacon). INCREDIBLE combo of ingredients. You’re a genius!

April — February 5, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

Brussels sprouts and bacon – and throw in a handful of golden raisins. I can’t make enough because I eat the whole time I’m cooking it!

Kayla — February 23, 2013 @ 4:25 pm

This is my new favorite breakfast/brunch food! I could eat the whole skillet by myself. Oh my!

Tyra Lindy — April 22, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

Breeding research conducted by Syngenta in the Netherlands focusing on compounds known as glucosinolates found in Brussels sprouts has resulted in reduced bitterness and in improved health attributes. These improvements in reducing unpleasant taste through scientific breeding advances have been credited with spurring a “renaissance” and growth in production and consumption of Brussels sprouts hybrids..

Very latest posting from our personal web site

gearshift24 — September 5, 2013 @ 11:20 am

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an extremely long comment but
    after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say superb blog!

Greg — October 11, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

I am one of those odd folk who like Brussels Sprouts even steamed with salt and pepper. I ate them the last time for Thanksgiving when I was about 13 and didn’t even think about them for decades. Then, just a few years ago, someone asked me what I wanted for Thanksgiving. I remembered a reading a recipe for Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Blue Cheese and I rekindled my love affair. I always save Brussels Sprouts recipes and this one looks like a keeper. Thanks.

David Jensen — January 12, 2014 @ 11:37 am

I’M IN LOVE!
    I think I found my everday breakfast!!! This was so awesome. We love brussel sprouts, but when I saw this I had to substitute chopped kale, which was HEAVENLY!

THANKS for this post!!

dj

Maggie @ Mama Maggie's Kitchen — January 21, 2014 @ 11:48 pm

Bacon and brussels sprouts.. like PB&J. Can’t wait to try this for breakfast. Maybe Sunday!

Trina — October 7, 2014 @ 2:05 am

this recipe looks delish.

Maritza — November 1, 2014 @ 11:16 am

This was amazing! What a great idea and combination of favors. Did it with ingredients all included in my local CSA share this week and it was a perfect seasonal Saturday morning breakfast – in fact, it was so good that my 5 year old asked for seconds! Thanks for the inspiration!