Hey. It’s Friday. Time to eat a donut!

Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts I howsweeteats.com

It’s also time to be lazy and fun and do way too much online shopping and stare at the clock until quitting time, so therefore I will be spelling it d-o-n-u-t. Short and quick.

Oh and guess what? I’m such a hypocrite. I generally do not like cream filled things. Think donuts, cookies, ladyfingers, twinkies, pound cakes, etc. And here I am, telling you about a cream filled thing. Wait. Is it cream or creme? Oh well, I don’t really care. Because it doesn’t matter when it’s peanut butter cream. Freaking peanut butter cream. What? Hello heaven.

Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts I howsweeteats.com

At the beginning of October I was telling my brother about my current doughnut obsession and he asked if I had ever tried a peanut butter cream filled doughnut. Um, what? Pretty sure if I ate a peanut butter cream filled doughnut that my face would explode in excitement and then I would die.

Well. That didn’t happen. But it was still pretty close.

Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts I howsweeteats.com

I’m going to be frank: these doughnuts are a bit high maintenance and if you plan on making them for breakfast or for company, your best bet is to plan ahead and prep them the night before then wake up super early to finish them. That’s why it took me so long to fiiiiinally try them. Or okay, if I’m being honest, the reason it took so long is because I spent 24 hours on a first crack only to have them massively fail. Huh… THAT was a fun day.

Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts I howsweeteats.com

So since it’s Friday, don’t you want to absolutely definitely make these?

Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts I howsweeteats.com

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, melted
1/3 cup cold heavy cream

chocolate drizzle
3 ounces chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons heavy cream

In the bowl of your electric mixer (with the dough hook attached), add milk and yeast, stir and let sit until yeast dissolves, about 1-2 minutes. Add flour, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla, mixing on low speed until combined then on medium-low speed for 2-3 minutes. Gradually add in softened butter, mixing until the butter is combined and the dough is soft, about 5 minutes. The dough will probably be sticky, so if needed add in a few teaspoons of flour to remove it from the bowl. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. (Note that the original recipe calls for 6-15 hours of refrigeration. Mine was perfect after 4 hours, but if you need longer (like overnight), that is fine.)

While the dough is refrigerating, make the pastry cream since it has to chill. In a small bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Slowly add the flour mixture to the eggs, whisking until smooth and pasty. Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add milk, allowing it to heat until bubbles form around the edges, but not boil. Remove the milk and slowly add it to the egg/flour mixture, whisking constantly until combined. Once smooth and mixed, add the entire mixture back to the saucepan, heating over medium heat and stirring constantly. Cook until it thickens and comes to a boil, about 2-3 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve, the whisk in vanilla and peanut butter. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it until it touches the surface of the cream. Chill for at least 4 hours.

Remove dough and place on a floured surface. Roll it out until it is about 1/2 inch thick, then use a standard size biscuit cutter and cut out as many rounds as you can. Place on a baking sheet in a warm place and let rise for 2-3 hours, until they've doubled in size.

Heat a few inches of oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Once the oil reaches 350 degrees F, add the doughnuts 2-3 at a time and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Make sure you are using a thermometer - do not allow your oil to get too hot! The doughnuts need nearly 4-5 full minutes in the oil so the insides cook, and if it's too hot the dough will burn. After frying, transfer each doughnut to a paper towel to let the excess oil drain. Let them cool to the touch, the roll in the remaining sugar.

Give the doughnuts another 30-45 minutes to cool completely. While this is happening, beat the cold heavy cream in your electric stand mixer or with a handheld mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold in the peanut butter pastry cream, taking a few good minutes to fold it in completely with a large spatula. Using a pastry bag or simply a ziplock bag (or even a spoon), poke a hole inside the side of the doughnut and fill it with a bit of the pastry cream.

To make the chocolate drizzle, heat the heavy cream until warm then pour over the chopped chocolate. Stir continuously until melted and smooth, then cover or drizzle the doughnuts. These are best when eaten immediately!

[donuts + (lightly adapted) pastry cream from martha stewart]

Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts I howsweeteats.com

I mean… peanut butter cream.

117 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 30, 2012 @ 8:02 am

OH MY GOSH!!! I want one of these donuts, cross that two of these donuts right now!!! I can only imagine how they taste!!! What a fab way to start the weekend!!

little kitchie — November 30, 2012 @ 8:03 am

holy moly. these look and sound INCREDIBLE. i’m scared of how many my husband and i would consume in a single sitting. better make these when we’re having people over.

shirley@bells-bakery.com — November 30, 2012 @ 8:04 am

These look ahhhmazing! Drool :)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — November 30, 2012 @ 8:11 am

These look sooo good!! Sorry you have to experience a not so fun test run of them though–I hate when that happens. Yeast doughnuts are the best!!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — November 30, 2012 @ 8:20 am

These sound crazy good!! As a kid, I was all about the sprinkle donuts and never wanted any sort of filling inside. Then in my early teens, I went through a phase of loving the icing sugar covered ones with jam inside. Who knows, maybe my 20s will be the decade of peanut butter cream (or creme) filling!? ;) Happy Friday Jess!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — November 30, 2012 @ 8:23 am

Are you kidding me? I had no idea peanut butter could go inside a donut. I love creme filled donuts!!!!!

Shannon — November 30, 2012 @ 8:45 am

My little grandsons are going to LOVE these on Christmas morning (we usually make peanut butter pancakes). And their mother is going to be really mad at me (as she’s stuffing one in her mouth). Happy Holidays, everyone!!

Liz — November 30, 2012 @ 8:48 am

FREAKING amazing.

Rachel — November 30, 2012 @ 8:50 am

I normally don’t like cream filled things either…but peanut butter…and a donut!

Kim in MD — November 30, 2012 @ 8:58 am

I am seriously drooling right now…

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 30, 2012 @ 9:00 am

WOW! This looks insane!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — November 30, 2012 @ 9:23 am

…can I please come over and steal these from your kitchen right now?! I mean that in the least creepy way possible.

Chelsy — November 30, 2012 @ 9:32 am

Yes! I am not a cream filled person either, I mean…eclairs? Seriously people. On the other hand, there is always room in my heart for peanut butter, especially peanut butter cream filled donuts. I mean, hello…genius! Thanks Jess!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — November 30, 2012 @ 9:33 am

Jessica – these sound AMAZING. I love peanut butter desserts. One of my favorite combos is PB+Maple – that would make an amazing doughnut too, huh?!

Simone — November 30, 2012 @ 9:43 am

I understand donut obsession. Like I seriously made it my New Years Resolution not to buy donuts in the year 2011. Other people could buy me donuts but I couldn’t buy myself one. Ultimate torture and I’m not sure how I made it. I think in January of 2012 I inhaled at least 8-12 donuts. [Seriously who can eat just one donut. Isn’t there a rule – must eat in twos as the animals on the ark went in twos?] I’ve never tried making donuts, but I might have to start. Peanut butter cream…chocolate drizzle…everything about it is compelling.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — November 30, 2012 @ 9:52 am

This sounds just delightful! Not a huge cream-filled donut fan either, but I’m pretty sure I could polish off a few of these :D

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — November 30, 2012 @ 9:56 am

Oh my word…I do want to eat a peanut butter cream filled donut! Filled donuts are my favorite and this recipe totally has me excited for peanut butter filling!!!

natalie — November 30, 2012 @ 10:12 am

that’s pretty much what happened when i saw the title for this, “PEANUT BUTTER CREAM FILLED DOUGHNUT?!?” /face explode.

Carissa — November 30, 2012 @ 10:18 am

Peanut butter filled donuts are the only kind I’ll eat. These look amazing!!!

alyssa - life a la wife — November 30, 2012 @ 10:18 am

Back up the bus…. Peanut butter filled AND chocolate drizzled in a piping hot fried piece of dough? IN LOVE.

Meghan — November 30, 2012 @ 10:21 am

Talk about drool worthy pics. Wow.

Alyssa @ Kitchen Cures — November 30, 2012 @ 10:30 am

Congratulations on sticking with it and creating these incredible doughnuts for us! Thanks!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — November 30, 2012 @ 10:40 am

donuts & peanut butter together…oh my..girl crush coming on!

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} — November 30, 2012 @ 10:40 am

Peanut butter cream cannot be bad!

Kati — November 30, 2012 @ 11:05 am

yes, please! these look divine!

Erin @ The Food Doctors — November 30, 2012 @ 11:07 am

I’ve been thinking about making donuts for a while, but there’s are problem. After all that work, you’ve got donuts, which are definitely best when they are hot… So my question is – how do you NOT just eat them all??

Those look fantastically amazing btw. If I ever overcome my fear of making donuts, I will probably stuff them with peanut butter cream.

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — November 30, 2012 @ 11:11 am

I’m pretty sure my head just exploded. And my heart. Because I cannot go on living without these doughnuts in my life. Why have I never thought of putting peanut butter cream in a doughnut?? That is the epitome of perfection. Send me some, will you?

Kristina — November 30, 2012 @ 11:12 am

sorry for yelling, it’s Peanut. Butter. Cream.

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) — November 30, 2012 @ 11:22 am

So who else is eating these donuts???? Send me some because the DARN store did not have any glazed ones this morning!!! Arghhh

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — November 30, 2012 @ 11:35 am

I think I just died. I actually thought about trying to make peanut butter stuffed doughnuts for one of my peanut butter + chocolate saturday’s posts but I failed to do so. Now I must have these!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — November 30, 2012 @ 11:50 am

STOP showing me how to make donuts Jess!!!! I’m trying to diet here! lol

as always another mouthwatering recipe – enjoy them!! xx

Jessica — November 30, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

OK. Its really going to be hard for me to resist these….

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — November 30, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

Holy crap. I’d be in big trouble with these around.

allie@sweetpotatobites — November 30, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

peanut butter cream. perfection.

Carly @ Snack Therapy — November 30, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

You’re killin’ me, smalls.

Morgan — November 30, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

I wish I had more patience to make doughnuts from scratch. Last time I tried to make zeppoles, it was a disaster. The oil was too cold, then too hot. I wanted to crawl in a hole and wait for the mess to clean itself.

When I do muster up the confidence to try again…I’ll definitely be turning to this recipe though. Peanut butter creme? Yes, please.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — November 30, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

These are definitely not a quickie donut but the best things in life often aren’t quickies. And I love that they’re a real yeasted donut with pastry cream and infused with PB – you totally outdid yourself and I would LOVE to sink my teeth into one!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — November 30, 2012 @ 1:59 pm

This looks to be very dangerous….especially around this peanut butter and donut lover…

Jessica — November 30, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

pb creme/cream donuts are my favorite. With chocolate icing. It’s all very nostalgic for me bc my dad used to take us for donuts after mass on sundays and I would ALWAYS get a pb creme/cream. Perhaps he should have taken me to the gym sunday mornings instead as my young life may have been a little easier.

Kathleen — November 30, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

These look flippin ah-mazing! I’m afraid I’d eat the entire batch myself! Can you say hello 10 pounds……

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — November 30, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

Peanut butter is one of my faves, and to put it in a donut is genius!

Albanyish Dana — November 30, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

“And don’t you really want to look back in a month and say that 2012 was the year that you made a peanut butter cream filled donut? The answer would be yes.”

And then I will remember exactly when (and why) I had to start wearing suspenders instead of belts! :D

Jamie — November 30, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

i’m with you! the thought of a cream filled ANYTHING freaks me out. it’s like my gag reflex starts to go off. i’m intrigued by this peanut butter cream though! :)

Andrea B — November 30, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

I am not saying I did. But, I may have just licked the screen.

Nicole @ Sugar Coated Sisters — November 30, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

These look AMAZING. You’ve done it again!

Kristin — November 30, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

We must be kindred spirits. I stopped by a local bakery and got a donut after work to celebrate the weekend.

Shelby — November 30, 2012 @ 5:51 pm

holy donuts! these sound absolutely incredible

sara — November 30, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

These look INCREDIBLE. I’m totally loving that filling, yum!!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — November 30, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

I actually did eat a donut today, but I’m pretty sure yours would have blown my Dunkin Donuts one out of the water! Wow!!

Gina Marie @ So Lets Hang Out — November 30, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

I’m afraid that if I figure out how to make these gluten free that I wont eat anything else ever again. Legitimate fear.

1. Pingback: » Chocolate Peanut Butter Scotchies On a Pink Typewriter

2. Pingback: 12 Days of Christmas Cupcake Kit and 12 Goodies To Put In Them

3. Pingback: amour-bliss: teacuppiggy: (via Peanut Butter Cream Filled... | TnyBits

4. Pingback: 10 doughnuts pour lesquels vous vendriez votre mère | L1FO.ma

5. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cream Filled Donuts - Donut RecipesDonut Recipes

6. Pingback: Doughnuts and Cinnamon Rolls - Yum! - Amish Recipes Oasis Newsfeatures | Amish Recipes Oasis Newsfeatures

7. Pingback: National Cream Filled Donut Day - A Holiday Chef

8. Pingback: 15 Glazed and Creamy Doughnuts Recipe

9. Pingback: 27の本当に素晴らしいピーナッツバター・デザート | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見!

10. Pingback: 27 Truly Magnificent Peanut Butter Desserts | GossipViews.com

11. Pingback: 27の本当に素晴らしいピーナッツバター・デザート | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

12. Pingback: 27の本当に素晴らしいピーナッツバター・デザート | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

13. Pingback: 27の本当に素晴らしいピーナッツバター・デザート | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

14. Pingback: In Honor Of National Peanut Butter And Jelly Day, Here Are The Best Things To Do With PB&J

15. Pingback: 27 Ways To Experience The Holy Matrimony Of Peanut Butter And Chocolate | Monthly Recipes

16. Pingback: 27 Ways To Experience The Holy Matrimony Of Peanut Butter And Chocolate : Eat-Best.com

17. Pingback: 27 Ways To Experience The Holy Matrimony Of Peanut Butter And Chocolate : Grandmas Cooking

18. Pingback: 27 Ways To Experience The Holy Matrimony Of Peanut Butter And Chocolate | Sudip Das's Blog

19. Pingback: 27 Ways To Experience The Holy Matrimony Of Peanut Butter And Chocolate | GossipViews.com

20. Pingback: 27 Ways To Experience The Holy Matrimony Of Peanut Butter And Chocolate

21. Pingback: 27 Ways To Experience The Holy Matrimony Of Peanut Butter And Chocolate |Parkkar Lifestyles and News

22. Pingback: 27 Ways To Experience The Holy Matrimony Of Peanut Butter And Chocolate | Notebookforyou.com

23. Pingback: ピーナッツバターとチョコレートの神聖な結婚を経験する27の方法 | こんなに美味しいレシピがあるとは・・・料理大好きの人が参考にするブログ!

24. Pingback: exams! | AMBER ISSAQUAH LAI

25. Pingback: The Ultimate Donut Roundup: 6 Awesome Recipes | lark&linenlark&linen

26. Pingback: ピーナッツバターとチョコレートの神聖な結婚を経験する27の方法 | こんなに美味しいレシピがあるとは・・・料理大好きの人が参考にするブログ!

27. Pingback: ピーナッツバターとチョコレートの神聖な結婚を経験する27の方法 | こんなに美味しいレシピがあるとは・・・料理大好きの人が参考にするブログ!

28. Pingback: National Cream Filled Donut Day - A Holiday Chef