oh my gahhhh. I’m so excited to talk about makeup. Is this okay? Can we talk about makeup for a minute?

january beauty favorites I howsweeteats.com

After some prodding on instagram, pinterest and facebook I decided to give in and be a huge copycat: sharing a post at the end of each month about my favorite beauty stuff. Can I have one day a month to be a product junkie? Okay, good. Thank you. Even better: tomorrow I’m going to share a food, etc favorites post, so if makeup isn’t your thang, see you then.

If you’ve frequented my Crumbs section over here, you sort of know how much I love beauty products. I mean, I LOVE THEM. I have loved them since I was a tween. In my second life, I’d totally be a makeup artist. Except I’m a little skeeved out by touching other people’s faces? It’s true. But I’ve always looked at makeup as an art. I’ve never worn it to disguise or cover anything (thankfully, I realize I am lucky), but more so have worn it as… artwork. On my face. Does that make sense? It also explains why I am fascinated with every color BUT nuetral anything, so there’s that. Trust me, if I found it appropriate (and that my entire family wouldn’t disown me), I would definitely walk around with a face full of makeup like those amazing MAC makeup artists. I wish you could have seen my eyes on New Year’s Eve. I think some of my family actually DID disown me.

Anyway. Here is what I’m currently loving.

korres lip butter in jasmin I howsweeteats.com

This Korres lip butter in Jasmine. AHHH! Out of all products, lip stuff is my favorite. I have more lipgloss, balm, whatever to rival the Rite Aid down the street, but I think I’ve told you that before. I only recently picked one of these up (like around Christmas?) and have to say I’m totally hooked. Not only on the butter itself, but the color! It’s such a pretty pale pink. And it smells amazing. Nothing like jasmine, which I imagine smells florally. Or maybe it does smell like jasmine. What do I know?

MAC candy yum yum, MAC pink pigeon, guerlain I howsweeteats.com

Next up: insanely bright lipsticks. Um, yeah. This is fairly new for me. For years I have preached about how I am not a lipstick person. I’m so much more of a gloss girl. I think it’s because I love to wear crazy (and I do mean !nutso!) colors on my eyes, therefore playing down my lips. But do you see these pinks? ugh. So me. I could not resist and now I’m sold. From left to right, we have MAC Candy Yum Yum, MAC Pink Pigeon (this is currently temporary + sold out) and Guerlain Girly. Uh, we need to talk about Guerlain for a hot sec. So expensive, but I discovered it on my favorite beauty blog ever, Temptalia, and the quality is incredible. I just have to starve for like two weeks in order to afford one of these lipsticks.

faves I howsweeteats.com

Coming from a self-proclaimed mascara snob, I am adoring this loreal voluminous mascara. Last year I wrote about how I was addicted to MAC zoomlash and then later, YSL faux cils in purple. Yes, purple. I still love those two, but decided to try this, ahem, more economical one and ding ding ding – worked! I find myself reaching for it almost exclusively which says a lot.

Next up: eyeliner. For years now I’ve only used Urban Decay 24/7, not only because of how it works but because their crazy colors? Obviously right up my alley. I think I have almost every shade at this point, but my current fave is that sparkly teal-ish one that… has glitter. Shocking, right? It’s called LSD. So appropriate.

Blush I’ve lived on: any and everything Tarte. The above two colors are my most used: exposed is the more neutral color and fantastic is the pink one. I use them both equally depending on what I do with my eyes/lips. Fantastic came in a gift set of four and as of right now, I don’t think it’s a permanent color. These have totally over taken my use of that “favorite” Nars blush which I later decided – is not my favorite at all. It sort of oxidized on my face and turned orangey, and even though I used it for years, I think it always did that and I was just trying to be cool and love it since everyone else did. Over that. I’m growing up.

trader joe's coconut body butter I howsweeteats.com

A given: this is the only body cream I am using at the moment. I want to eat my arm off like every single day.

face! I howsweeteats.com

Face things! First up, I was so excited to see Yes to Carrots come out with grapefruit products. Grapefruit is one of my favorite scents (and fruits) ever. My cousin first introduced me to the vast selection of face wipes and while I use many different ones, I’m currently loving these due to their scent.

Next, this Korres Wild Rose Sleeping Facial. I’ll be honest – this was a big impulse purchase when I grabbed the lip butter above. I always just use that super heavy Cetaphil moisturizing cream at night but was sucked in by the words “advanced brightening.” Um, I love this. A word of warning: it definitely smells like roses or something floraly. It is STRONG. Which makes practically zero sense since I just whined above about how I hate floraly scents, but this… reminds me of my grandma. I don’t know. It just smells like an old lady. It’s comforting or something. Not to mention it is perfectly moisturizing and absorbs quickly. I have slightly dry, slightly sensitive but very normal skin and this is awesome.

Last year I talked about my infatuation with the Smashbox eye brightener, but I have since stumbled upon this Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Brightener. As you can see, it is pink. It is SO brightening. I have pretty pale skin with cool undertones, and this is perfect. I actually wear it alone and love it.

MAC Fix+. Yeah yeah – some people say that spritzing water on your face after you do your makeup will give you the same effect, but I beg to differ. As someone who strives for the “glowy and dewy” skin constantly, this is amazing. It’s one thing that I use daily, no matter what.

bond no. 9 west side perfume I howsweeteats.com

Can I have a favorite out of my favorites? This is it. Last year I mentioned that I had discovered Bond No. 9 West Side, but could not justify the price at ALL. Actually, I didn’t “discover it,” but moreso was accosted in Nordstrom by a sales associate and tricked into smelling a million perfumes until I wanted to gag. I was pretty partial to my longtime favorites though and there was no way I was paying for that perfume. Then. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. For over six months, I sprayed it on myself every time I came across it, hoping to find something similar. I researched perfumes that had similar undertones, hoping to find a cheaper version. Every time I sprayed it, I thought about it for DAYS. I didn’t even want to wear my go-to scents anymore. Luckily, I ended up getting it for Christmas (sort of shocked) and now we have a major problem: I can’t stop wearing it. I spray it on myself even when I spend 12 hours in the kitchen, cooking ALONE. I need to stop. It’s bad.

FYI: I have never gotten so many compliments on a scent before so if you are considering taking the plunge… it’s worth it.

Also: I’m a terrible influence.

(Note: that is an amazon affiliate link; it is considerably cheaper purchasing any Bond No. 9 perfumes from Amazon as opposed to Nordstrom or Saks.)

kenra blow dry spray I howsweeteats.com

Hair stuff: freaking out over this Kenra blow dry spray. I can’t say enough good things about it. !!!!! I have a ton of hair and it takes eons to dry. This not only protects it (I guess?) but it reduces the drying time by a third, maybe more? It is incredible and I’m sort of pissed I haven’t been using it my entire life. If you wash your hair every other day or so, it lasts a long time too.

revlon midnight I howsweeteats.com

Lastly: this Revlon polish in midnight. I’m all for glittery pinks and pastels but realize that I need to not always act like I’m 17, so am trying to drag out the dark colors until February or so. We will see how that goes. Regardless, I wore this all through November and December too. Big heart.

Whew. That was long. Okay party people. Back to regularly scheduled programming tomorrow.

Oh but first, tell me what you’re loving right now. Because clearly… I really need MORE products. Oomph.

141 Responses to “January Favorites: Beauty.”

Holiday Baker Man — January 31, 2013 @ 12:11 am

I am pretty sure you are gorgeous just the way you are.

Emily — January 31, 2013 @ 12:13 am

This is entirely unrelated except that it falls into the “beauty” category, but I saw this and thought you’d enjoy it:

Tieghan — January 31, 2013 @ 12:28 am

Jessica, My 4 year old little sister would LOVE you! She is all about nail polish (Pretty sure her favorite color is sparkly pink. Actually probably sparkly anything!), lipstick, lotions, you name it! She is such a girly girl! You would love her! I swear the two of you could be best friends, her two favorite things are ANYTHING chocolate and beauty!

Liz — January 31, 2013 @ 12:42 am

I’m excited about these new posts of yours – so fun to hear about people’s favorite beauty products!

Jessie — January 31, 2013 @ 1:57 am

OMG! I LOVE that Kenra spray! My mom is a hairdresser, and she brought me this and said, “Use it! You’ll love it!” She was soo right! I think it makes my hair shiny and I love the way it smells.. LMAO I think it reminds me of the old Exclamation! perfume from the 90s! haha!

AJ — January 31, 2013 @ 5:43 am

if you like Kenra, try their shine spray! I can’t use serums because even though my hair is on the dry side, it doesn’t absorb serums very well and ends up looking oily. I haven’t tried their blow dry product (currently I use a product called crazy straight that I’ve used for years, but always up to try something new).

Ashley — January 31, 2013 @ 8:14 am

I’m going to have to try this Kenra blow dry spray. IT take FO-EVA to dry my hair. Thanks for the tips!

Margaret — January 31, 2013 @ 8:17 am

I love Bond perfumes, even though they are so expensive. Get on their physical mailing list and they send at least one purse size sample a year…..which is bad, because now I have THREE favorite bond scents…

Meghan @ the tasty fork — January 31, 2013 @ 8:52 am

Have you tried Hair Dresser Oil by Bumble & Bumble??? It’s my faaaavorite hair product!! It makes my hair look so sleek and smooth when I blow dry. Keeps away frizz when I air dry. Or you can mix some with your conditioner for a hair mask. Love it!!!!

Sarah — January 31, 2013 @ 9:17 am

Have you heard of/are you subscribed to birch box??? http://www.birchbox.com/

As your invisible internet friend I feel it is my duty to make you aware of it—one of the girls I’m deployed with just schooled me on it after she got her cute little pink package in the mail, now I’m on the waiting list to subscribe.

megan — January 31, 2013 @ 9:26 am

Hey girl! I am “ALL ABOARD” the beauty products train (so kitschy!), as I am still mourning the ending of my BirchBox subscription and all the fun it was to receive a box of stuff every month!! So I am loving your “new” idea and I’ll be spending my every last cent on too many of your recommendations, I’m sure ;)
    I’m pretty sure I spend more on hair products and lipsticks than the normal person since I can be lured in to trying most anything NEW! I happen to LOVE Oscar Blandi Pronto Texture & Volume Spray….it’s like a dry shampoo and volumizer all in one, but without the white residue some of them give! It’s fantastic and sometimes makes my second day hair look better than first day!!

So, instead of going into my own dissertation of favorites I’m going to make one little request: I think you need to SHOW us these products in action, on your face!! I’m guessing you try to keep your face off the blog since we rarely see it, but with all the products and professions of love, seeing them on your hair/face/nails would be AWESOME!!! Consider it…for the love of your followers ;)

Michelle — January 31, 2013 @ 9:56 am

LOVE that you are doing this post monthly! I LOVE your blog and this different touch makes it even better. I too am a product junkie so this will only add to my collection. PS – I have been using the Korres nightcream for about a month or two now and I too love it! The smell is strong (which I normally do not like), but I love this! Can’t wait to see next months post!

• Jessica — January 31st, 2013 @ 11:18 am

so glad someone else is using it!!

raquel — January 31, 2013 @ 10:23 am

benefit ‘they’re real’ mascara is AMAZING!

Mimi — January 31, 2013 @ 10:28 am

Love Love LOOOOVVVVEEEE these posts of yours! Im totally ok if you do them every month, or more if you want, you know, in case you have too much stuff to share. Oldy enough, we have some of the same faves like the Maybeline brightener and the bright lipsticks. Keep these posts coming, I always love discovering something new.

Barbara — January 31, 2013 @ 10:37 am

LOVE this post. I am also currently obsessed with TJ’s coconut body butter. Also I have just discovered Garnier BB Cream for the face – it has SPF and goes on so lightly you can’t even feel it (which still providing awesome coverage!) I’m also a fan of their gel moisture cream (gotta love free samples in magazines – they totally turned me on to the brand!)

Joy — January 31, 2013 @ 10:54 am

I don’t have any of the other products but I looove that Kenra blow-dry spray. I works wonderfully plus it smells so yummy!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — January 31, 2013 @ 11:25 am

Love this post! I want to try the Yes to Carrots line.. I’ve heard great things! Do you find their stuff at Sephora?

• Jessica — January 31st, 2013 @ 11:27 am

no way girl – you can find it at target! even my local grocery store has it. :)

Angie — January 31, 2013 @ 11:39 am

I have to try out the blow out spray! I love your other favs too, gotta give them a try! My new fav is bath and body works new forever red – it smells like rum, marshmallows, vanilla, spice, and some floral notes.

Lynda @Me and My Pink Mixer — January 31, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

Thank you so much for this post Jessica!! I get SO overwhelmed when I go into Ulta or Sephora and usually leave with nothing and then I’m kicking myself when I try to get ready in the morning and put on the same make-up I’ve been wearing for the past 15 years! I have worn Clinique Bamboo Pink lipstick for 20+ years and I am NOT kidding!

I just created a Beauy and Make-up Pinterest board and pinned a bunch of your products so when I go shopping next time maybe I will actually buy something new and update my look :) I’m looking forward to your next post!

Jaime hennessey — January 31, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

What do you use as a foundation? or do you? I’ve been using a tinted moisturizer and want to try BB cream. What do you know about that?

Shauna — January 31, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

I really like this beauty post! Just a touch of difference keeps your blog readers interest! Thanks for all the great product recommends…. I already have my list to try out your favs….. :)

Denise — January 31, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

Thanks Jessica for the “scoop” on all of these products!! Looking for individual products sometimes can be so overwhelming because there are so many. So its nice to see and read up on these products that are actually used by everyday people. :D Keep up the good work and I’m looking to more future articles.

• Denise — January 31st, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

Looking forward, that is. :D

Mel — January 31, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

You should try the Dior capture totale one essential cream. It is ridiculously expensive and you’ll probably scream and cry the entire way home – BUT – it is SO worth it. Especially good for brightening!

Ashley — January 31, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

I’m a product junkie too, with waaaay too much makeup, nail polish, and skin/hair care products for one person. It’s bad. But it’s absolutely addictive.
    I love Tarte’s blushes (and foundation) to death. Their Achiote (Lipstick Tree) collection is gorgeous – a mostly pink coral. Perfect year round. And probably on sale now.
    Also love Yes to Carrots wipes! They’re a fixture in my gym bag and bathroom.
    If you want to get even more crazy about perfumes, check out Perfumes: An A to Z Guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez. It’s hilarious and it will probably make you a perfume junkie too. It certainly made me one, which, I agree, is hard on the wallet.

Kimberly — January 31, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

I love all the age rewind concealers. I just wish they would improve those cool applicators so they didn’t break before the product is half gone.

Lindsay — January 31, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

I am also a fellow beauty junkie! L’oreal voluminous is a hidden gem! I have gone through several tubes and nothing even comes close! My latest addiction is Ardell individual lashes. Don’t say I didn’t warn you :) Other fave product is the Caudalie beauty elixir. Every morning. Just do it.

I am so happy you are doing these posts :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 31, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

I LOVE this beauty post. Pleeeease keep doing them Jess! I want to buy everything! haha

Angela — January 31, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

I love this beauty post! You can do more of these anytime. If you are really into the bright lippies, Then you should try Maybelline Vivids collection. I have Vivid Rose and I love it and want to go get more colors. They have an awesome orangy red, taht i want.

• Jessica — January 31st, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

i actually just got some of those too! love them!

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — January 31, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

I’m loving Bare Minerals foundation – it’s MAGIC!

sweetmaddy — January 31, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

Thanks for this post! I love stuff like this and I feel like you are a trustworthy source since you are not a “beauty blog” so you aren’t sponsored or anything. I have a Korres lip butter too and I love it. I usually rotate in Loreal Voluminous because that stuff is the bomb, I think I’ve been using it on and off for about ten years! Although, I will say Diorshow is great too, but too spendy. I also used to be addicted to the Shu eumera (sp?) eyelash curler but recently discovered that the Revlon one (black with red accents, not sure of the exact name) is just as good and way cheaper! I am definitely going to try some of these products you recommended. I am looking for a good undereye primer because no matter what product I use, my concealer always ALWAYS settles into the lines under my eyes and looks SO bad. I have tried using eyelid primers under the eye but it just ends up making my eyes sting really bad…so any suggestions? (You or other commenters) Related to my eye problem: I am searching for a good eye cream for night that helps prevent wrinkles and general aging yuckiness – do you have any you like? Thanks! Keep up the fun posts!

Kimberly C — January 31, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

I love this post! Please keep doing them! I love your recipes but I like when you mix things up a bit

Clar — January 31, 2013 @ 6:13 pm

I am so thankful you share your makeup ideas and loves with us! I have tried many and have added several to my normal everyday make up to do’s =0)

rochelle — January 31, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

M.A.C. and korres are the best!!! my face cannot live without them!

Ashley — January 31, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

Korres is one of my favorite brands! I’ll have to give the lip stuff a try. Also saw the TJ’s lotion and wondered how it was.

Lulu — January 31, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

I wear foundation and powder – could I use Fix on top of that?

• Jessica — February 1st, 2013 @ 8:44 am

oh my gosh – yes! that’s actually what it’s for – it really helps set powder so it doesn’t look cakey or powdery. :)

Sarah — January 31, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

I love this post! Your monthly beauty favorites are a great addition :) I am loving the “mary-lou manizer” by The Balm as a highlight. It leaves a gorgeous finish on your cheek bones and is also great for brow bone highlighting.

Jade Sheldon — January 31, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

I love, love, LOVE products too. MAC Candy Yum Yum has been on my list of lipsticks to add to my growing collection. Right now my favorite MAC lip color is Russian Red. I just can’t stop wearing it. I haven’t tried loreal voluminous mascara but now I must! And I’ve seriously never heard of Bond No. 9 West Side but now I absolutely have to smell it.

As for my current favorites, I’m loving Essie in Sand Tropaz, Urban Decay’s latest Naked Palette and Birchbox, because, well, it’s all about the products. Do you do Birchbox? https://www.birchbox.com?raf=97nnm

Meg G @ De quelle planète es-tu? — February 1, 2013 @ 7:52 am

I couldn’t live without my MAC lipsticks…! ^^

Jamie — February 1, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

I love this post! Especially since I am a makeup/skincare fanatic myself and have become addicted to online makeup tutorials. Check out: Lisa Eldridge, unless you haven’t been living under a rock like me and already know her fantastic-ness! Warning: She will make you want to purchase every and any product you can find in stores and online…Japanese makeup brushes?? Yes, please!

Mia — February 1, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

I, too, am new the lipstick game. I’ve always been an eyeshadow girl because I think my eyes are my best facial feature. Plus, I only have so much time for makeup – and once I’ve spent a year doing up my eyes, there’s usually only time left to throw on a pale shimmery gloss. I think something about feeling more “adult” had made me feel like I should wear lipstick. Totally going to try out the MAC colors you suggested!

@stampylisa — February 3, 2013 @ 2:23 am

Did you ever try Arbonnes makeup primer??? It rocks!! It gives your face the perfect base to apply makeup- I just started selling it and if you are interested please get in touch! Jut make sure your products don’t have a drops of mineral
    Oil in them- there are about 55 different names for it! Toxins in mineral oil are found in breast cancer patients and it can disrupt your hormones causing other issues. Eeks!

@stampylisa — February 3, 2013 @ 2:25 am

Oh and ps-I bought that TJs coconut butter but gave it as a gift so I hope thy still have it when I go back next week. Another great blog reviewing nail polishes is Scrangie.com

Bonnie — February 3, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

So excited for more of these posts! Really like Fix+ as well :)

Colette @ JFF! — February 4, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

Dollface. Let’s twalk. Dat voloomnimous mascahra.
    It’s da bomba!

kathleen @ the lushers — February 4, 2013 @ 6:40 pm

I love the beauty post! Keep ‘em coming!

I, too, am a huge product junkie & have way more than humanly necessary. You picked a few of my favorites here…the Korres lip butter, Voluminous mascara (I venture out & try others, but ALWAYS come back to this.), & the Yes to Carrots wipes. I have the cucumber wipes & the cucumber & carrot body butters, but I am determined to try every last bit of that line.

AJ — February 19, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

I bought the Revlon colorstay in midnight a few weeks ago and just tried it. The brush is awful (too narrow, but not narrow enough to use for decorations) so the polish goes on way too thick. Did you have this issue?

• Jessica — February 19th, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

ahhh bummer – no i haven’t had that issue, but i’ve seen some other people say they don’t care for the polish. then i’ve seen some recommend it! i did just pick up a sally hansen one i normally like and felt the same way – too thick and messy – maybe it’s just a bad bottle?

• AJ — February 19th, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

it looked weird when I put it on, but after a 2nd coat and topcoat, it’s beautiful! Just a different brush from the opi/essie that I’m used to. Yay!!!

MAC Concealer — March 8, 2013 @ 4:10 am

Cheap Mac Makeup Wholesale,Mac Makeup and Mac Cosmetics save 60% off,Discount Mac Cosmetics wholesale online now!

NugLargyNum — April 10, 2013 @ 12:09 am

This actually answered my dilemma, thank you!

Nike Free Haven 3.0 for mænd

Logan Ciganek — May 13, 2013 @ 11:18 am

Care of the hair and care of the scalp skin may appear separate, but are actually intertwined because hair grows from beneath the skin. The living parts of hair (hair follicle, hair root, root sheath, and sebaceous gland) are beneath the skin, while the actual hair shaft which emerges (the cuticle which covers the cortex and medulla) has no living processes. Damage or changes made to the visible hair shaft cannot be repaired by a biological process, though much can be done to manage hair and ensure that the cuticle remains intact.^*

Look over our own internet site as well

Henry — May 27, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

I always spent my half an hour to read this web site’s content every day along with a mug of coffee.

1. Pingback: February Favorites: Beauty. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Smokey Roasted Chicken Tacos with Spicy Goat Cheese Queso | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: April Favorites: Beauty. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Things I like this week (vol 16). | BrittanyandTahn

5. Pingback: April Favorites: Beauty. | Food & Recipes

6. Pingback: May Favorites: Beauty. | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: May Favorites: Beauty. | Food & Recipes

8. Pingback: Happy Little Things: The Power of Pink

9. Pingback: Favorite Things Friday: First Post!

10. Pingback: December Favorites: Beauty. | How Sweet It Is