Welcome to another version of “why I can’t live without cheese.” Again

Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Homemade Avocado Ranch I howsweeteats.com

As the evidence suggests, it’s clearly not in my genetic makeup to create a recipe without the gooey goodness. I just… can’t.

I can do meatless.

I can probably even do sugarless. Though I might die. Really, I might. But I could do it.

But cheeseless? Never. It’s a freaking food group.

Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Homemade Avocado Ranch I howsweeteats.com

I’ve told you that before though. Cheese is my ultimate comfort food. Whenever I feel like eating my emotions – whatever they may be – cheese shows up in one form or another. Mac and cheese? Grilled cheese? Pizza? Cheese and crackers? String cheese binges?

It’s happened. Life happens.

Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Homemade Avocado Ranch I howsweeteats.com

Oh wait. Can we talk about what’s reeeeeally been stressing me out lately? Okay. Pinterest. Yes, pinterest. Back in the good ol’ days when there were, like, only one million pins of beautiful outdoor porch swings and bay windows instead of 74 million, life was easy. Is it really so much to ask that when I try to search for “family rooms decorated in aqua,” I can actually FIND family rooms decorated in aqua, and not a private island home nested in between a few pictures of stuffed cookies with about six aqua sprinkles on top?

It is virtually impossible for me to find anything I am looking for on pinterest. Thank God I’m not planning a wedding or shower or child’s birthday party. I have no sense of style and no eye for interior design and all I want is some freaking help on how to wear wedge sneakers without looking like an a-hole (it’s probably not happening) and how to make my bedroom look like a pretty feng shui space so I am less of a lunatic. I get so overwhelmed and can’t find anything so I just quit. Boom.

Uh, as a side note, I just tried to search for “feathered shoes” to prove my theory and forgot the “s” on shoes. I am the person who just searched for feathered hoes on pinterest. So there’s that.

Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Homemade Avocado Ranch I howsweeteats.com

In other news, after years of almost eating whole wheat tortillas exclusively, I found myself with a ton of extra flour tortillas and not only used them, but sort of “fried” the quesadillas in a little bit of butter.

I don’t know if I’m ever going back.

Well, wait. Actually, I do know. And I’m not.

Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Homemade Avocado Ranch I howsweeteats.com

Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Homemade Avocado Ranch

Yield: serves 2

Total Time: 25 minutes

1 cup black beans
1 cup cannellini beans
2 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, freshly grated
2 ounces pepperjack cheese, freshly grated
4 whole wheat tortillas
a little butter or olive oil for toasting

avocado ranch
1 ripe medium avocado
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large bowl, mash together black and cannellini beans with a fork, spoon or potato masher.

Heat an electric griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add a bit of butter or olive oil.

Place 2 tortillas down, covering each with a bit of both cheeses, then evenly distribute the mashed bean mixture over top. Place the tortilla on the griddle or skillet, then cover with bean mixture with the remaining cheese and the other tortilla. Cook until the bottom is crispy and golden brown, then gently flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes until crispy and golden.

To make the avocado ranch, combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy, scraping down the sides occasionally when needed. Taste and season additionally if desired. Store avocado ranch in a seal-tight container for 1-2 days!

[avocado ranch adapted from food network]

Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Homemade Avocado Ranch I howsweeteats.com

And yes. I just told you how to mash two ingredients together and fry them inside tortillas. What can I say. It’s Monday. And all about the avocado ranch.

121 Responses to “Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Homemade Avocado Ranch.”

Potatoes and Pilates — February 11, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

TOTALLY agree on the cheese/ ultimate comfort food front. I’ve recently realized that in a perfect day of eating, cheese would make an appearance at each meal for me. Yeah, I need help.

Avocado ranch – where have you been all my life!?

Eileen — February 11, 2013 @ 2:59 pm

Avocado ranch, you say? Very interesting indeed! i have a feeling that if I made a batch of this, it would find its way onto far more than just quesadillas…not that that’s a bad thing. :)

Megan — February 11, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

Showed my sister your blog today. In her words, “a gift from God”.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 11, 2013 @ 3:32 pm

Whhhaaaattt. These look amazing!

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — February 11, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

Sometimes it’s less about the recipe and more about the inspiration!

Feathered hoes. I’m almost curious enough to check it out myself :)

I can safely say that going without cheese is HARD! But not harder than sugar for me.

Michelle — February 11, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

FEED ME THESE NOW! :) Tortillas are one of the things I miss most since going paleo.

Alexis @ Hummusapien — February 11, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

That homemade avocado ranch….holy yum. I would eat it with a spoon, no doubt.

Julia Jolliff — February 11, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

That avocado ranch looks wonderful! I will be using that to dip a lot of things in.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — February 11, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

Love, love, love these! Also, the search function on Pinterest might be the worst search function in the history of the Internet. It has frustrated me to no end so I’ve just stopped using it.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — February 11, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

Yeah… I could never give up cheese either! Sure I like almond milk in my oatmeal and coconut milk ice cream…. but there is just something about real deal dairy products… This is why I could never go on any crazy diet!

Beth @ CraveableCleveland — February 11, 2013 @ 6:58 pm

hahahaha, I love that you admit Pinterest is stressing you out. I have to admit I’ve had my fare share of Pinstresses. Then I catch myself, like really Beth?? :)

Michelle — February 11, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

I think the more important question is what amazing pins showed up from searching feathered hoes!

Cheese is my thing. Cheese gets me. Cheese and I? We’re *likethis*.

Larry — February 11, 2013 @ 7:13 pm

That avocado ranch… AVOCADO RANCH!? Why don’t you just shoot me now since I need it in my life to continue living, yet have none.

Julie Ryan — February 11, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

I just jumped up to make the avocado ranch because we’re having quesadillas tonight. Now I hate wasting a beautiful avocado on something that isn’t the best use of an avocado and I gotta say, this is amazing. I’m waiting for the husband to get home to eat the quesadillas but I can’t stop dipping things in it. Seriously, thank you and good job.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2013 @ 7:25 pm

ahhh I’m so thrilled you like it!

Jennifer — February 11, 2013 @ 7:40 pm

This is absolutely perfect for Lent! I’m excited to try it for one of our meatless days. Thank you for sharing it!

Christine @ BookishlyB — February 11, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

These look great- on the menu for next week for sure.

Stressed about Pinterest –> #firstworldproblems ;)

J — February 11, 2013 @ 9:09 pm

How could I make these and bring them to work? This will def prevent me from hitting up the cafeteria or pizza place. Freeze them then microwave or just refrigerate and reheat? Thanks for the help, thought you would know a good solution.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2013 @ 10:05 pm

after making them, i kept some in the fridge and reheated in the microwave the next day for lunch – they aren’t quite as crispy but they were still pretty good!

Alyssa — February 11, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

Cheese, ranch and avacado?? I’m sold!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — February 11, 2013 @ 11:13 pm

OMG, feathered hoes. That is hilarious.

Emily @ Life on Food — February 12, 2013 @ 6:49 am

Oh Yum! Pinterest is a bit much but it got me through the snow storm.

Maria — February 12, 2013 @ 7:19 am

I have to admit, “I love Pinterest.” However, it can be overwhelming at times. This weekend I was trying to organize my Pins (due to the blizzard) – very slow and frustrating. I just told my sister that I was thankful NOT to have Pinterest when I planned my kid;s birthday parties. We had to really be creative and it was so much less stressful than the poor moms have it today. These quesadillas are prefect for Lent – thanks.

LouAnn — February 12, 2013 @ 7:23 am

looks wonderful and love your sense of humour

idiosyncratic eye — February 12, 2013 @ 7:32 am

Mmmm. :)

Suzi Ferraro — February 12, 2013 @ 9:18 am

Ok, I am totally in on the cheese thing. I have been loving grilled cheese lately and I am in my 40’s and a food snob. But I am guessing that you probably wrote this entry before Sunday night. OMG topless ping pong!!! I thought of you immediately when I saw that (not in a weird way)!!! I felt the need to reach out to you but to no avail. I guess I am going to have to tweet. Just one more thing to blame my lack of productivity on!!

Fi Evans — February 12, 2013 @ 9:24 am

Wow these sound absolutely delicious – I need to make them. I’ve still never attempted homemade guacamole even though I adore avocado. So I think this is the recipe to try for my first attempt! Thanks for sharing. xx

Alyssa — February 12, 2013 @ 9:27 am

Those look outstanding, and yes, although lactose intolerant, cheese is my comfort food of choice as well!

Lianne — February 12, 2013 @ 9:52 am

hello obsession with avocado ranch. We made this last night and it was AH-MAZING. Thanks for yet another incredible dinner :)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — February 12, 2013 @ 11:28 am

I’ve always said that a milk intolerance would make life a very sad one. Definitely cannot imagine life without cheese!

The Vanilla Bean — February 12, 2013 @ 11:41 am

I think the third picture might be my most favorite. Ever.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — February 12, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

I need that homemade avocado ranch!!

Melissa — February 12, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

These were DELICIOUS! Made them last night, with one small modification. In the interest of time (and ingredients I had on hand) I made the Avocado Ranch with 1/4 cup Litehouse Jalapeno Ranch + 1 packet 100 calorie guacamole. Super simple. From start to finish it took me less than 15 minutes! Quick & tasty weeknight dinner.

kerry — February 12, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

I NEEEEEED to make this! Delicious :)

Abbe@This is How I Cook — February 12, 2013 @ 6:21 pm

Oh, man. I was planning a caesar tonight with dinner because I haven’t had one in a long time. But that avocado ranch seems to be callin’ my name.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — February 12, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

That avocado ranch sounds amazing. And here I was thinking avocado couldn’t get any better!

Colette @ JFF! — February 14, 2013 @ 8:35 pm

Love the avocado-ranch!

Anna — February 16, 2013 @ 11:32 am

I made these during the week; they were amazing! And the avocado ranch… so good!

SAJIA — February 24, 2013 @ 6:11 pm

I can’t begin to express how good these are….6 thumbs up (3 of us), including my husband, who usually wouldn’t care for a quesadilla. And the avacado ranch sause….much better a day or two later and good on fried food….mushrooms, onion rings, etc. Plus it’s a great lenten Friday meal. Thank you!

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — February 27, 2013 @ 10:08 am

That avocado ranch sounds so good and those quesadillas look amazing!

Jane Doe — March 12, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

Was having a terrible day, and then I came across this blog post and you made me literally laugh out loud. Thank you for making your hilarious musings available, you’ve made my day not so terrible.

Nancy Cartlson — April 28, 2013 @ 8:54 am

Thank you for this recipe. The dressing in particular was AMAZE! I love this stuff and keep thinking of all the things it would be great on. Easy and fab! I also am a fan of the quesadillas and I wouldn’t change a thing. They’re perfect!

http://ignitemission.kr/ — August 1, 2013 @ 8:47 pm

Hello Dear, are you genuinely visiting this web page regularly,
    if so after that you will without doubt take fastidious know-how.

Christina Walker — August 4, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

These looks so delicious! Do you think I could subsitute greek yougurt for the sour cream?

danaere — December 8, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

Ok I totally agree about Pinterest … :)

But I must ask, why do you talk about using flour tortillas in the story, then call for whole wheat in the recipe? Can’t wait to try the avocado ranch!

Tracy — July 23, 2014 @ 6:35 pm

This avocado ranch is TO DIE FOR! I made extra and gave it out to friends because they were begging me for it!

Jen_Travels — July 27, 2014 @ 10:23 pm

I know this is an older post, but

that. blue. spoon.
    Where can I find? I keep seeing it as I’m clicking through.

Also…I’ve stumbled upon your site through IG. I can’t wait to try SO many of these recipes – seriously printed like a dozen so far :\

And I <3 your adorable writing style…mostly because it feels like you're in my head!
    Can't wait to get your book – WILL be pre-ordering!

Annie — January 5, 2015 @ 7:42 pm

So I just whipped up the avocado ranch in preparation for when the guy comes home from work & we can eat dinner….I’m resisting the urge to just spoon feed the whole container into my mouth right now and just have straight up bean & cheese quesadillas later. He would never even have to know. It is so good, and I may or may not have subbed in smoked salt for the regular salt.

Yael — January 12, 2015 @ 7:45 pm

What a great recipe! Even my daughter enjoyed it. The second time we added some vegetarian taco mix to the mix — so delicious!

Donna — August 17, 2015 @ 1:06 pm

This recipe sounds delicious. Love what you wrote – very funny, especially the “Feathered Hoes” comment. Anyhow, I had some extra avocados and was going away on vacation, so I froze them. I looked up info about freezing avocados and came to your recipe above. Hopefully the avocados will be okay to use. I’m guessing I should defrost them a bit first. Any comments would be appreciated.

1. Pingback: Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Homemade Avocado Ranch. | Recipes Worlds

2. Pingback: Recently Pinning: Citrus + Wood - The Sweetest Occasion | The Sweetest Occasion

3. Pingback: Cheesy double bean quesadillas | pinterest-daily.com

4. Pingback: B&W Bean Quesadillas w/ Avocado Ranch Dip | It's Good to be the Cook

5. Pingback: Some of my new favorite recipes | The Adventures of Nick & Brittany

6. Pingback: Cheesy Double Bean Quesadillas with Avocado Ranch | The Spiffy Cookie

7. Pingback: Baked Chicken Bacon Ranch Taquitos with Avocado Ranch | The Spiffy Cookie

8. Pingback: 35 Vegetarian Recipes for Cinco de Mayo (+ 10 Bonus Margarita Recipes) | Kitchen Treaty

9. Pingback: Weekly Ten: May 3, 2013 | Amy Tries To Write

10. Pingback: Mexican comfort. | A Delightfully Sweet Life

11. Pingback: Menu Plans: June 2-8 | Wholesome WomanhoodWholesome Womanhood

12. Pingback: Warm Vanilla Sugar | MAY

13. Pingback: Eating with the Armstrongs | Newly Bread

14. Pingback: Chipotle Lime Grilled Chicken Skewers with Avocado Ranch | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Friday Finds: Summer? I hardly knew her! | Top of the Guac

16. Pingback: Recipes to Try | Live and Learn

17. Pingback: Double Bean Quesadillas with Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dip | Bitches Who Brunch

18. Pingback: What You Imagine You’ll Make For Dinner Vs. What You Actually Eat | Your Moms Pants