Say hello to your stereotypical trying-to-be-healthy Monday recipe.

Thai Chicken Quinoa Bowl I

Like the many Mondays that have come before, I attempt to lure you in with the promise of half-assed vegetables and a balanced meal. Only to finish you off with a bowl full of butter and a glass of tequila on Friday.

Thai Chicken Quinoa Bowl I

I guess it doesn’t have to be Monday… but it is. And the truth is that even though I like quinoa, one of my main goals in life is seeing how many unhealthy things that I love can be stuffed inside the same bowl so I can dub the entire thing health food. Bacon grease, cheese and brown butter breadcrumbs? Instantly because healthy with the added quarter cup of quinoa. Yessss.

I love how that works.

Thai Chicken Quinoa Bowl I

And I want to tell you that this is another one of my cop-out Thai recipes because it sort of is, but I just love that sauce soooooo much. It first appeared on my thai chicken wings and then later on this thai crunch chicken salad, and it’s not a stretch to say I whip it up nearly once a week just to see what else I can thai-afy. Thai nachos? Check. Thai burgers? Check. Thai noodles? Check. Thai sauce on a spoon? Check.

Don’t worry. Thai cookies are not next. You may have thought otherwise with how much I talk about this. I know. I’ll just shut up.

Thai Chicken Quinoa Bowl I

1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro

2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon canned coconut milk
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon creamy peanut butter (it mixes in easier if it's melted, FYI)
1 garlic clove
1/2 lime, juice
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

Prepare quinoa according to directions, which will most likely call for 1 cup of liquid. I prefer to use low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock, so if you have that, use it!

While quinoa is cooking, combine all of the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and whisk well to combine. Once quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid, stir in the sauce and toss well to coat. Add in chicken, carrots, edamame and green onions, stirring to combine. Taste and season with a little salt and pepper if needed. Toss in half of the peanuts and cilantro, then serve in a large bowl, topped with remaining peanuts and cilantro. I like to serve this with a salad, soup or even a little sandwich!

Thai Chicken Quinoa Bowl I

So many veggies for me!

191 Responses to “Thai Chicken Quinoa Bowl.”

sarah — April 9, 2013 @ 7:13 pm

I just made this and it is so good! I used tempeh for the protein and stir fried all of the veggies with a bag of shredded cabbage from TJ’s! Awesome! Will definitely make this again

The high heel gourmet — April 16, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

Why is this dish called “Thai”? I’m Thai and we NEVER eat quinoa in savory dish. So out of my curiosity why the dish that I never seen in my country was labeled “Thai” to start…lol…we also don’t cook with edamame or using peanut butter in cooking too. We do eat edamame but only in Japanese restaurant and peanut butter would sit under thick dust on the shelf in the groceries hahaha. We do eat a lot of roasted, fried crushed peanuts though. I lived in CA and I use peanut butter where I should use crushed penury in cooking and most of my Thai friends call me “lazy”…lol…I don’t mean to insult your recipe or anything and I’m sure its delicious but so curious why my nation cuisine name has to do with the dish.

• K — October 21st, 2013 @ 9:49 pm

Because the combination of peanut flavors, a little spice from the chili sauce and the addition of ginger or another pungent spice (oh and coconut milk!) is acossoated with Thai cooking in the United States. And the name of the dish is not referring to te quinoa as Thai, but the flavor profile of the dish. Same with something, like say, Mexican casserole (casseroles aren’t a common cooking technique in mexico). It’s a form of fusion when you combine flavor profiles associated with a style of cultural cooking with food items uncommon in the same area. Like I make an Italian burger where I add on roasted tomatoes, pesto mayo mozzarella and basil leaves, but burgers are in no way Italian. It’s just an easy way to describe the flavor profile you’re presenting, not a claim that the food is from the country of origin.

• Isa — March 3rd, 2015 @ 3:53 pm

This is a great way to respond to a good question. When I search for “Thai” cuisine online, I am looking for a flavor profile. At the same time, I like to make use of what I have in my house: peanut butter, chicken, quinoa, carrots… I want to taste flavors similar to Thai restaurants without having the capacity to cook a good, Traditional Thai meal. Or, I want to taste the flavors of Thai food in something that is not authentic. I’d make authentic Thai if I have the accessibility to the correct ingredients, though.

• Isa — March 3rd, 2015 @ 3:54 pm

Also, I just made this dish, with a few variations, and it was lovely. I added wilted cabbage for some color and threw mushrooms into the chicken since I had them.

• Tip — November 14th, 2013 @ 1:30 pm

maybe it is because you are a moron

• Meredith — January 5th, 2014 @ 5:44 pm

Uh, just who is name calling? I believe “K” came to the practical explanation.

Justine — April 17, 2013 @ 11:40 am

Made this last night for dinner and we loved it. It’s going into my recipe book. It’s good with the chicken, but we’re working towards vegan and I don’t think the recipe would miss it. Thanks!

• Briar — May 17th, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

My boyfriend and I are currently eating a vegan diet and it is just as delicious wihtout the chicken!

kathy — April 20, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

I want to know what is in the ball jar glasses?

• Durfus — January 22nd, 2014 @ 3:41 pm

Um water…Idiot

• Lindsay — July 7th, 2015 @ 7:45 pm

It could just as easily be iced lime juice, which is a great flavor combination with Thai. Do people really find it fulfilling to make rude, useless comments on food blogs?

fmandds — April 30, 2013 @ 11:41 pm

Oh this was heaven! I used a spicy sweet chili sauce so it was a little on the hot side but all the flavors were spot on. What a great recipe. Thanks so much for posting it!!

Emily W. — May 1, 2013 @ 11:22 am

Made this 2 nights ago and it was such a hit that I made it AGAIN last night for more friends. It also refrigerates so well and I’m counting down the minutes to feast on it round three for lunch.

2 comments- either I have an unusually large appetite or 1/2 C quinoa is a little too small. My boyfriend looked at the bowl of 1/2 C cooked with a stink eye (quinoa was enough of a leap..), and I ended up doubling the recipe, which worked perfectly. Would rather have more left over than leave us hungry!

I also used fresh grated ginger instead of ground last night and it added a great flavor to the dish over ground.

Love your recipes and can’t wait to make more.

Stephanie — May 13, 2013 @ 10:17 am

So I LOVE your recipes and this looks amazing… hubby and I are working toward a more plant-based diet, so i’ll leave out the chicken and see what happens.

Oh, and those thai cookies? try this:

Not EXACTLY thai; it’s really just because of the ginger. but they are delicious!

Allison @ thebakingyear — May 14, 2013 @ 8:38 am

love this combination of a salad!!! I’ll definitely try the quinoa version!

Jo — May 30, 2013 @ 5:54 am

Love the recipe idea! I made it on the weekend and it was a hit with the hubby :) For extra “Thai” flavour I added keffir lime leaves.

Kathleen — June 22, 2013 @ 6:38 pm

Has anyone made this without using coconut milk?

• Anita — September 26th, 2013 @ 11:17 am

I am thinking of eliminating the coconut milk too, to reduce the fat..a bit too high for 17 g. I think with the peanut butter, it should be ok.

• Anna — October 26th, 2013 @ 7:50 am

I made this without both coconut milk and peanut butter. I thought it worked out totally fine! However, I would probably add one of them next time to make it a bit less dry.

A S — September 22, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

This recipe is wonderful with a good variety of ingredients. We used couscous instead and we loved it!

Meghan — November 1, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

Made this tonight for the first time and it was so. good. It was a hit with my picky boyfriend, too. Love this recipe!

Cathy Peterson — December 30, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

My husband sent this recipe to me months ago. I finally got around to making it and he loved it!!! He said that i have permission to make this recipe whenever I want and as much as I want! Thanks for all the great recipes! Keep the coming!

Natalie — January 19, 2014 @ 8:22 pm

Yum, can’t wait to make this recipe! What can I substitute for the coconut milk? Any suggestions?

Catherine — March 12, 2014 @ 11:41 am

I made this last night and it wasn’t a hit. It has way too much lime and the quinoa turned out mushy. I also followed the author’s advice and used broth and it was way too salty still. Will not make again.

jen t — April 28, 2014 @ 1:59 pm

I made this to eat cold on the beach last weekend and it was a huge hit! I loved the thai flavors! I wasn’t going to add chicken, but my quinoa was mushy, so I did to soak it up a little. I also did not use the coconut milk, but instead boiled the quinoa in coconut water. I think I could eat this every day! What is the calorie count like…I am sure it is somewhere and I’ve just missed it.

Jill A Farkas — September 16, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

cant wait to make this but when and how do i cook the vegetables

Janet Ekis — January 7, 2015 @ 11:11 am

Wonderful recipe. But why are none of the boyfriends/husbands cooking? They certainly seem to be doing their share of the eating. :-)

Beth — January 17, 2015 @ 7:04 pm

i made this tonight – delish!!! Even my super picky husband loved it. I doubled the recipe and cooked the edamame and carrots, otherwise followed recipe exactly. The sauce is amazingly good. Will definitely make again.

Della Mae Johnston — January 23, 2015 @ 1:12 am

May I ask (politely) why so many people feel it necessary to leave rude, nasty , hurtful comments in their internet replies? Would any of you say these things to another person face-to-face? Why make this world a nastier place than it needs to be?

Jessica — January 28, 2015 @ 2:21 pm

Just made this tonight and LOVED it!! Thanks :)

1. Pingback: Vegetarian Thai Quinoa Chili | All Documents