So I made these burgers on Monday.

Cheeseburgers with Sautéed Mushrooms, Arugula and Dijon Aioli I

And they are really all I’ve thought about ever since.  Like… ALL I’ve thought about. I don’t even know if my burger obsession can be called an obsession anymore because it’s been about three or four months at this point. I think now it’s just a full blown sickness?

Cheeseburgers with Sautéed Mushrooms, Arugula and Dijon Aioli I

The worst part is that I’m a little bit of a burger snob and I really don’t think anyone can make them as good as some of my favorite restaurants can. And uh, by favorite restaurants I really just mean Five Guys. $5 burger? Yes please. And a few others of course. But it seems that whether homemade burgers are grilled or pan-fried or whatever, they sort of turn into fat hockey pucks or something. It takes skill and patience. Which I don’t have. Something I have learned however is that I don’t need to stuff a ton of things into the actual burger (like garlic and minced onion and blah blah blah) and prefer just some salt and pepper. I added a little olive oil here too since I was using very lean ground beef.

Which is boring but ummmm it’s April which means it’s almost summer which means that it’s time to come out of hibernation.

Cheeseburgers with Sautéed Mushrooms, Arugula and Dijon Aioli I

Dinners this week have been delicious. Although I already ignored my weekly menu plan for three out of four days, meals included these burgers and last night, a mix of frozen roasted vegetable ravioli and pumpkin ravioli with brown butter, garlic and parmesan. It took approximately six minutes and was wonderful.

So wonderful in fact that I tossed all the pasta in a giant bowl, turned my back to stick the cheese in the fridge only to turn around and see… the entire bowl gone. My husband had actually picked up the whole bowl because he thought I made the massive bowl of ravioli for him. Only him. Two packages. Six servings. Picked up the darn bowl, grabbed a fork and walked to the table.

I thought he was joking?

He wasn’t. He thought all of the pasta was for him. In his defense, he comes home late and a lot of times I eat dinner before him because uh, I am not cooking anything for anyone at 9PM unless it includes the broiler, a marshmallow, starts with an “s” and ends in “more.” For myself.

Don’t worry. I claimed my portion.

Cheeseburgers with Sautéed Mushrooms, Arugula and Dijon Aioli I

But enough!

What we need to talk about today are these burgers. Holy smokes. I definitely stole the idea after eating a similar one a few weeks ago from a local food truck and it is by far my new favorite flavor combination. Double the cheese, perfect mushrooms, the mustard aioli I’ve been LOSING MY MIND OVER and arugula on top which makes it super fresh.

I even wrapped leftovers in foil, stuck them in the fridge, then reheated them at 300 degrees for a few minutes before eating. Yeah. Still incredible.

I’m doomed.

Cheeseburgers with Sautéed Mushrooms, Arugula and Dijon Aioli I

Burgers with Sautéed Mushrooms, Arugula and Dijon Aioli

Yield: makes 4 burgers

Total Time: 45 minutes

1 pound of lean ground beef (feel free to use fattier beef if you prefer)
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil

1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon horseradish
a pinch of salt + pepper

Add ground beef to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix it into the beef, then let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.

While the beef is resting, add mushrooms to a large skillet over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter, then add in mushrooms and stir to coat. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until softened and juicy. Once soft, add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, turn off heat and keep covered.

While mushrooms are cooking, whisk together dijon mustard, egg yolk and lemon juice in a large bowl until combined. Slowly stream in olive oil while continuously whisking until the mixture emulsifies and comes together completely. Whisk in whole grain mustard and horseradish, then taste and season with a little salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.

Toss the fresh arugula with the lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Form the beef into 4 equal patties, then add to the skillet and cook until they reach their desired doneness. For medium-well, I cook mine about 5 minutes per side, but it will depend on how thick you like your burgers. In the last 1-2 minutes of cooking, top each burger with a few slices of both cheeses.

To assemble burgers, spread a bit of mustard aioli on the bottom of each bun. Top with the burger, then some mushrooms, some aioli and a handful of arugula.

[mustard aioli from martha]

Cheeseburgers with Sautéed Mushrooms, Arugula and Dijon Aioli I

But this is definitely the way I would like to go.

118 Responses to “Cheeseburgers with Sautéed Mushrooms, Arugula and Dijon Aioli.”

bridget {bake at 350} — April 12, 2013 @ 8:58 am

That dijon aioli?!? Oh wow…that sounds delicious! I don’t make burgers at home,,,ever….but I think I may have to try these!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — April 12, 2013 @ 11:40 am

Yeah… 5 Guys…. we’re obsessed with that place too! I should say we are obsessed with burgers in general. Eating them homemade or out about once a week!

Angela — April 12, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

You MUST make an adaptation of my go-to burger recipe, or just make it as-is and drool. Seriously, these are the best burgers e.v.e.r…I made them as sliders for my husband’s birthday party last year and people are still asking me to make them again. Yum!

Chloe @Ergo-Blog — April 12, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

YUM! YUM!!!! I’m a Five Guys addict so I definitely imagine these are better for you!!! =)

Nutmeg Nanny — April 13, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Wow, these are to die for! I love sauteed mushrooms on my burger :)

Megan — April 15, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

My cravings for a burger just went up 1249 fold.

Mushrooms Canada — April 17, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

Every bit of this burger sounds absolutely phenomenal! This is a must-try for me….and SOON! thanks for sharing…

Emma — April 24, 2013 @ 4:26 am

Mmm these look so good. I’ve just discovered your blog and I’m already hooked; you have such a brilliant style of writing and the recipes are to die for! I’ll be looking forward to more posts. x

Sargento Cheese — April 29, 2013 @ 10:03 am

Wow! These burgers look amazing! They look so delicious and are all little works of art. The simplicity in the making of the actual burger, mixed with the savory tastes of the toppings, sounds too good to be true. We love that you’ve added a slight twist with Parmesan cheese. For extra flavor, try Hard Grating Parmesan cheese. The fresh taste will only add to this fun burger.

Katy — May 9, 2013 @ 4:55 pm

Hi Jessica! I just wanted to let you know I recently started following you blog and I tried the burgers with sauteed mushroms, arugula and dijon aioli last night and they were so good, I am making them again tonight. Your the first blog I have ever really followed and just wanted to let you know I love every second of your receipes and you too! Thanks for sharing, I can’t wait to try more!

Tina — May 16, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

I am so making these tonight!

Mike — May 16, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

The recipes sounds really good, with one caveat – you should never, ever, ever add salt to your ground beef mixture. You can check out the burger lab on serious eats for a scientific explanation, but the gist of it is that adding salt to ground beef causes the proteins in the meat to bind together creating a sausage like texture. You only want to salt the outside of the preformed patties shortly before grilling (the salt on the outside is necessary to create the crust).

Also, rather than using olive oil, I’d suggest using a fattier meat like ground chuck Or, if you’re a burger fiend like me, you can grind your own blend. I use equal parts sirloin, brisket, and short ribs. (Don’t try to use a food processor. That will ruin the texture).

T-dub — May 17, 2013 @ 12:06 am

Hey did you see that your recipe was on 28 badass burgers to grill this weekend!

So neat! I read your blog all the time, neat to see your work somewhere else!

Nicole — May 24, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I tried this recipe last night! It was delicious :) Thank you!

Karyna — July 1, 2013 @ 3:15 pm

These look AMAZING!! I cannot wait to try them out

Sara — August 25, 2013 @ 3:00 pm

I am making these tonight with your caesar salad on the side! I had some extra ground beef and buns and was trying to think of a fun and different burger. Thank you for the idea and Trader Joe’s for the ingredients! Oh! And for lunch tomorrow- the BLT chopped salad. Then, the quinoa sliders and the chicken taco chopped salad for other lunches this week at work. Trying to save money from buying lunch, will keep you posted how everything turns out!!

PS: On another note- I am making your coconut lassi this week. Thank you for supplying me with my favorite recipes!!

1. Pingback: 17 Easy Dinners Everyone Should Have In Their Arsenal | The Food Lovers!!

2. Pingback: 17 Easy Dinners Everyone Should Have In Their ArsenalStop Feeling Old | Stop Feeling Old