This is soooo a Friday recipe.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S'mores I

We all know that calories don’t really count on the weekends.

And if you’re anything like me, the weekend starts on Thursday night so yeah, you’re good to go right now.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S'mores I

I’m convinced that without this rule, my life would be so much more boring Thursday evenings through Sunday afternoons. I hesitate to say Sunday nights because I’m usually down so deep in the Sunday blues depression that I can thinking of nothing else except how gloomy the next 24 hours will be with the exception of whatever HBO programming is on that night.

[Oh and sidebar, I feel that as your resident TV obsessed couch potato I must mention how I still am wishing Grey’s Anatomy ended about three years ago (stop. you’re RUINING IT.) and while the new hospital name is a nice memorial thing, uh, it just sucks. It’s will forever be Seattle Grace. Done.]

Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S'mores I

The best thing about this recipe (and trust me, I’m using that term very loosely) is that you can use whatever you want. Whatever cookies, whatever peanut butter or spread, store-bought marshmallows and your favorite chocolate. You can add a bunch of other weird or crazy things (like I’m thinking you should add bacon then brag to me about it) or leave it totally boring.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S'mores I

And you can certainly make these on a warm summer night, toasting the marshmallows over the fire which is slightly classier than my faux broiler s’mores. I mean, they get the job done WHEN IT’S 21 DEGREES IN APRIL but whatever. I’m not bitter.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S'mores I

So… these marshmallows aren’t really THAT different from the ones I’ve previously made, but they seemed so much easier. They don’t use any corn syrup and there is no need for a candy thermometer, and not only did they come together more quickly (minus beating them for 15 minutes on high speed) but they set up a bit quicker too. Like within a few hours. I am so hooked. I’ve always loved homemade marshmallows but with the vanilla beans… ugh, just so good. So fluffy.

They are like eating a giant cloud.

stuffed inside a cookie.

topped with peanut butter.

dripping with chocolate.

Like the universe really needs some of this. Oh well!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S'mores I

Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S'mores

Yield: makes 4 cookie s'mores

Total Time: 4 hours (for marshmallows to set)

8 chocolate chip cookies
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
4 (1/2 ounce) square of dark chocolate
4 vanilla bean marshmallows

vanilla bean marshmallows
2 packets of gelatin
8 tablespoons of cold water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, the seeds scraped
1/4 teaspoon salt

To make the s'mores, spread a half tablespoon of peanut butter on the inside of 4 cookies. Place a square of chocolate on top, then place a marshmallow on top of that. Place the cookies on a baking sheet.

Heat the broiler in your oven, placing the oven rack directly underneath. Broil for 1-2 minutes, until the marshmallows are golden, bubbly and runny. Remove from the oven and top with the other chocolate chip cookie. Eat!

vanilla bean marshmallows
Place the gelatin in a small bowl and stir in the 8 tablespoons of cold water. Set aside. Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick spray, then sprinkle some powdered sugar in the pan and shake well, dispersing it all over the pan, covering the entire thing.

In a small saucepan, combine the remaining cold water and sugar. Heat oven medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved and bubbly, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the gelatin mixture, stirring, and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, immediately remove from heat. Add to the bowl of an electric mixer attached with a whisk. Let sit and slightly cool. Add in vanilla extract, beans and salt. Beat on medium-high speed for 10-15 minutes, until white and glossy and shiny and thick. Spread in the 8x8 pan and top with powdered sugar if desired. Let sit for about 4 hours, or even overnight.

To cut, I run a knife along the outside of the pan, then turn it over and shake the marshmallow cube out. Using a knife sprayed with nonstick spray, slice the marshmallows into your desired size.

[marshmallows slightly adapted from]

Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S'mores I

Trash up my s’mores please!

133 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S’mores (…with the easiest vanilla bean marshmallows).”

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — April 5, 2013 @ 6:54 am

Love trashing up my s’mores, thank you!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 5, 2013 @ 6:56 am

Your mean! I’m trying to watch my weight and you show me this delicious, scrumptious looking cookie that needs to be in my life forever! Actually I think I may love you! :) Happy Friday!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 5, 2013 @ 7:00 am

They are like eating a giant cloud. And boy, that sounds like a piece of heaven!

And this new marshmallow technique and recipe..NICE! It does seem so much simpler than the other way. I totally need to try this! Thank you!

What are these….. I m leaving work right now to go make these!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 5, 2013 @ 7:12 am

Oh my gawwwwwwsh…. I just about died when I saw these on Instagram yesterday! You’ve got me curious about marshmallow making now. Vanilla beans rock my socks and as far as I’m concerned should be incorporated into all desserts. Have a wonderful, trashed-up s’mores weekend Jess! :)

Brian @ A Thought For Food — April 5, 2013 @ 7:14 am

Oh dear god… I just licked the screen. Seriously. Not joking.

Heather @ Sugar Dish Me — April 5, 2013 @ 7:24 am

Saw these on Instagram yesterday. Died. Went to heaven. Ate lots of cookies.

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — April 5, 2013 @ 7:27 am

This might just be the ultimate dessert combination I have ever heard of in my entire life. I love everything about this, and I mean everything. So perfect and the best way to start the weekend!

shelly (cookies and cups) — April 5, 2013 @ 7:30 am

Why do you do this stuff to me? It’s kinda rude actually.
    I mean, now I have to go make freaking marshmallows…

jen — April 5, 2013 @ 7:45 am

i may be a total dummy here but i can’t see when you add the vanilla bean to the mixture?? thanks! can’t wait to make these!

• anne — April 5th, 2013 @ 8:48 am

i can’t find the vanilla addition, either! help, i want to make these this weekend since the store bought ones have icky food dye in them! thank you!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2013 @ 9:41 am

so sorry! it all goes in right before you beat the marshmallows.

cindy coniglio — April 5, 2013 @ 7:48 am

You are freaking amazing!!!!! Seriously. Im so proud of you for all you have done and more to come :)

• Jessica — April 5th, 2013 @ 9:43 am

haha thank you, i love you!

Roz — April 5, 2013 @ 7:52 am

Wow these look incredible. I looove peanut butter. Can’t wait to make these sometime (soon) haha x

Bianca — April 5, 2013 @ 7:57 am

What chocolate chip cookie recipe did you use to make those? They are seriously beautiful!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2013 @ 9:42 am

they are just store bought cookies!

Tieghan — April 5, 2013 @ 8:02 am

Holy Moly! These are so awesome! Con you believe I have never made marshmallows! I KNOW, that is so awful. It’s like a crime!. Making these this weekend!

DessertForTwo — April 5, 2013 @ 8:07 am

Love a good easy marshmallow recipe! Would you believe I’ve never made them? Should I scale them down for two? Or should I just eat half the pan and call it ‘for two’? ;) Happy Friday!

PS you have me hooked on yes to cucumbers face wipes.

Erin @ Axell's Kitchen — April 5, 2013 @ 8:19 am

oh good gosh yum

Ashley w — April 5, 2013 @ 8:34 am

Holy yum! These look amazing. I’ve been on a quest for a new chocolate chip cookie recipe and these cookies look divine!!!—what recipe did you use for the cookies?

• Jessica — April 5th, 2013 @ 9:42 am

i just used store bought!

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — April 5, 2013 @ 8:38 am

OMG! I die!! looks awesome!!

Julia Kent @ The Domestic Blonde — April 5, 2013 @ 8:40 am

Jessica… these should be illegal they look so good. Amazing!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — April 5, 2013 @ 8:51 am

These look so good! Cookies are so much better than graham crackers anyway :)

Love how you made a marshmallow recipe without a candy thermometer. I used to have to make marshmallows (all diff flavors) at work and even though I loved the result and seeing the pillowy, shiny cloud that resulted, it was a bit of a pain. So glad that you figured out a way to simplify the process!

Amanda — April 5, 2013 @ 9:02 am

Oh yeah! I could (and probably will) eat about a hundred of these :)

Hilary — April 5, 2013 @ 9:02 am

Stop it. Just, Ahh.

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — April 5, 2013 @ 9:12 am

Oh my!!! Those vanilla marshmallows look divine!!! We make s’mores all the time – I can’t wait to try these!!!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 5, 2013 @ 9:15 am

Oh dear, this is gonna be a long day at my desk without a chocolate chip cookie-marshmallow-peanut butter beast! Amazing recipe!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — April 5, 2013 @ 9:18 am

This is freakin’ amazing loooooking.

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — April 5, 2013 @ 9:20 am

I love a messy weekend snack! I’ve always stayed away from making my own marshmallows but these do sound easy. Maybe you’ve convinced me!

Ashley — April 5, 2013 @ 9:20 am

Insane. Dying at the thought of vanilla bean marshmallows.

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — April 5, 2013 @ 9:25 am

droooolll, that is all

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork — April 5, 2013 @ 9:28 am

Oh yum! I love calorie free weekend treats!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 5, 2013 @ 9:28 am

Calories shmalories!

Brittany | Life of a Bama Girl — April 5, 2013 @ 9:28 am

These look dangerous…

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — April 5, 2013 @ 9:31 am

I am in love with those marshmallows. I can’t wait to try them out.

Megan @ For the Love of Cookies — April 5, 2013 @ 9:39 am

Saw these on pinterest! Those marshmallows look insane, I’ve never made marshmallows before but there’s a first time for everything. And I totally agree that Friday is included in the weekend and, in my case, it often extends into Monday. Love the blog!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — April 5, 2013 @ 9:53 am

Your use of the phrase “trash ’em up” makes me laugh everytime Jess!

Personally I’m thinking of throwing some Nutella onto these babies – gooey sweet stuff on top of gooey sweet stuff on top of more gooey sweetness is just my kinda thing. Don’t judge ;)

Molly @Bakelette — April 5, 2013 @ 10:06 am

Can’t wait for summer! These sound amazing as it, but I think a quick toast over a bonfire would make them out of this world!

Lindsay — April 5, 2013 @ 10:18 am

when i saw these on instagram i thought they were ice cream cookie sandwiches but THESE are even BETTER! i wish i had the patience to actually make my own marshmallows….one day

Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife — April 5, 2013 @ 10:18 am

This is SO how I want to end my Friday tonight! I have no idea how I am going to make it through an entire day of work. This is all I will be able to think about!!

By the way, I TOTALLY agree with you about Grey’s Anatomy. I don’t know if I can handle it anymore…

Sophie — April 5, 2013 @ 10:22 am

Oh my gaaaa these look absolutely amazing. Must try! I was just wondering if you’ve ever tried making marshmallows without gelatin? I’ve always wanted to try! I’ve read you can use pectin. Have you heard about any veggie-friendly techniques?

• Lindsay — April 5th, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Have you tried Agar? I know it works for pudding, it may work here??

Amanda @ Food, Fitness, Faith — April 5, 2013 @ 10:35 am

Homemade marshmallows are the best! And I totally forgot about the beer and bourbon marshmallows – yay for finally being 21! I can’t wait to make them!!! And s’mores?! Fughedaboutit.

jen — April 5, 2013 @ 10:44 am

thank you!!!! i better get on it now!

allie@sweetpotatobites — April 5, 2013 @ 10:47 am

i’ve been looking for a marshmallow recipe and this one looks amazing. and now i want cookies for breakfast.

Amanda — April 5, 2013 @ 10:49 am

I have been wanting to make homemade marshmallows for a while, but being the poor graduate student that I am, I cannot afford a fancy mixer. I do have a hand mixer, but I have read in other recipes that this will not suffice for making marshmallows. Thoughts? Cause these look divine I HAVE to make them.

Samantha — April 5, 2013 @ 10:49 am

I’m with you on this cold April thing. Will it ever get warm?!

meghan @ struggle muffins — April 5, 2013 @ 11:13 am

Oh my gawww, sensory overload in the best way possible. These are definitely weekend cookies. THIS weekend cookies. RIGHT NOW cookies. Thanks for the inspiration. And I completely agree about Grey’s. I pried myself from it’s melodramatic claws recently and have to say its very liberating.

Carrie — April 5, 2013 @ 11:20 am

OMG. I will be making these tonight. And tomorrow. And Sunday? Clearly I’ve got a rager of a weekend planned.

EPhraner — April 5, 2013 @ 11:34 am

Good lord those look tasty!!! What an incredible idea for the easy vanilla bean filling. Will definitely need to try these ASAP.
    xo Erin

Carrie — April 5, 2013 @ 11:39 am

These are amazing! Cant wait to make the mallows. I like making my campfire s’mores with peanut butter cups instead of the chunk of chocolate. I highly recommend it.

Mary @ The Kitchen Paper — April 5, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

Ohoho these look awesome! It’s gross and cold and rainy here today, so something like this might totally be in my near future. Like, lunch. ASAP.

Lindsey (Lou Lou Biscuit) — April 5, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

I cannot believe how delicious these look! I can taste it. Also, really love the photography on this post, particularly the marshmallows stacked. SO PRETTY it makes me want to eat it so bad. I also love the flexibility of this recipe. My mind is racing with all the ways you could take it!

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — April 5, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

LOVE how ooey gooey fabulous these are!

1. Pingback: List Lovin’ | Stirring Things Up

2. Pingback: Saturday Surfing

3. Pingback: Weekend Collection | Cupcakes for Breakfast

4. Pingback: Chocolate Chunk Cookie Sandwiches | oh so decadent

5. Pingback: Grilled Banana Bread Peanut Butter S'more with Vanilla Marshmallows

6. Pingback: on maturity and marshmallows | O to the No

7. Pingback: Sweet pins | Lucky Pony

8. Pingback: This lady knows how to speak my language. Damn. | Lucky Pony

9. Pingback: vanilla bean marshmallows |

10. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cookies with a Fig Preserves Swirl | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: More Than a S’more {Easy Oven-Broiled S’mores + 104 S’more Variations!} | Food Your Way

13. Pingback: Things to do the night before a long run | Run-On Sentence

14. Pingback: 13 S'mores Recipes! | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Recipe Rundown: S’mores-Inspired Sweet Treats | Just a Dash

16. Pingback: 2013 Favorites

17. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: More Than a S’more {Easy Oven-Broiled S’mores + 104 S’more Variations!}

19. Pingback: Wish List: S’mores | Cake Over Steak

20. Pingback: Sunday Bakes | jessicaleesa

21. Pingback: National S'mores Day: 10 Recipes To Enjoy With You Family! - Latin Times | Daily Healthy Tips, Recipes and Cooking Tips