Ugh. Sorry?

Bourbon Bacon Marshmallow S'mores I howsweeteats.com

But not. We all know I am anything but sorry here.

Bourbon Bacon Marshmallow S'mores I howsweeteats.com

Beer marshmallows are one of my favorite things ever. And I figured there were a few ways they could get better, and subbing bourbon was definitely one of them. So I did that.

Bourbon Bacon Marshmallow S'mores I howsweeteats.com

And that was on a Friday. And I let them sit overnight. And in the morning, I remembered that I had these bourbon marshmallows, and all I could think about was how I wanted one for breakfast, because if it was up to me, I’d eat sweets and dessert for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Obviously… if it was up to me… I wouldn’t be able to fit through the door.

So.

Bourbon Bacon Marshmallow S'mores I howsweeteats.com

Instead of just eating a bourbon marshmallow for breakfast like a normal (???) person, I stuffed that bourbon marshmallow in a s’more once it was toasted. And since this was for BREAKFAST, I added a slice of bacon.

I only fried a few slices of bacon, and before I was able to assemble my s’more, someone (not me) came and ate all of my bacon! This was annoying. You’re killing me smalls.

I fried more.

Bourbon Bacon Marshmallow S'mores I howsweeteats.com

Oh but first I made a regular bourbon s’more. To test the waters. See above.

Bourbon Bacon Marshmallow S'mores I howsweeteats.com

Then came the bacon. And seriously, you know how much I freaking adore all things s’mores, and you know how much I love bourbon, and well, I’m not even mentioning my stance on bacon. It’s getting quite obnoxious and annoying so I’m just going to eat a slice and shut up. And these… I’m just not sure that there could be a better flavor combination for my very unsophisticated palate. I’m not sure if there is anything better in the world, aside from these s’mores right here.

Except for unexpected 98 Degrees songs on the radio, trashy magazines to save the day mid-workout after your iPod dies, flowy tops at food events, Sex and the City marathons, discovering ten cookies in the back of the freezer and getting lost in a fabulous book. Of course.

And let’s face it: how often do you want a s’more with a side of bacon? The answer is always. Good. We can still be friends.[/donotprint]

Bourbon Bacon Marshmallow S'mores I howsweeteats.com

Bourbon Marshmallows

[adapted from these beer marshmallows which were adapted from smitten kitchen]

makes one 9×13 pan

3 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin (I used Knox)

1/2 cup cold bourbon

1/2 cup cold water

2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large egg whites

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Oil a 9 x 13 baking pan (I actually just used a good bit of Pam) and sprinkle on powdered sugar to cover and coat. Set aside. In the bowl of your electric mixer (a whisk attachment is best), pour 1/2 cup cold water and 3 1/2 packs of gelatin. I gently mixed with a spoon once, then let sit while you make the sugar mixture.

In a medium pot combine sugar, bourbon, syrup and salt. Heat over low heat and whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat up to medium and let sugar come to a boil. It will bubbly up so keep yours eye on it so it does not overflow. Let it boil for 8-12 minutes, until it reaches 240 degrees F (measure with a candy thermometer). The mixture will appear to be a lightish brown color – don’t worry, the marshmallows will still be white.

Once mixture is at 240 degrees F, turn off heat and gently pour it in the mixer over the gelatin with the mixer on low speed. Once all of the sugar has been added, turn the mixer to high and beat for for 6-8 minutes. It should grow in size and be white and fluffy. About 3-4 minutes in, add the egg whites to a separate bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. I used a hand mixer to do this. If you don’t have a hand mixer, I assume you have to remove the whisk attachment, clean it (it will be a sticky mess), add a new bowl to the mixer, beat egg whites. Once stiff peaks are formed, add egg whites and vanilla extract to the sugar/gelatin mixture and beat until just combined.

Pour marshmallow mix into the 9 x 13 pan. It will impossibly sticky so be careful, and you will not be able to get it all out of the bowl. Get as much as you can, then spray a spatula with non-stick spray and smooth. Dust powdered sugar on top and let sit to firm up for 3-5 hours. Once firm, turn the pan upside down on a cutting board to release marshmallow rectangle. Cut them into pieces of whatever size you like.

For the s’mores, you obviously need some graham crackers, chocolate bars and crispy bacon. I don’t think I need to give you a recipe for that and insult your intelligence.

Bourbon Bacon Marshmallow S'mores I howsweeteats.com

Now at least you know what you’re doing this weekend! Right right?

168 Responses to “Bourbon Marshmallow S’mores. (…With Bacon)”

Chris — July 13, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

I’m pretty sure this can’t get any better!! Can’t wait to give them a shot – even the friggin’ marshmallows are homemade – crazy!

Mila — July 13, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

Your food, Jessica, is cuhrayzee. I come here to leave reality for a few minutes each day.

Rocky Mountain Woman — July 13, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

Grown up s’mores! Love it!

Erin — July 13, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

I know I’ve said this before, but I love you and your awesome foods

Julia @1001tealcranes — July 13, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of smores and I think its my aversion to Hershey’s chocolate. Which sorta makes me a really bad girl scout and maybe a questionable American. BUT .. OMG you added bacon. And I can’t stop drooling.

• Laura — January 21st, 2014 @ 7:42 pm

You should try Godiva chocolate. Or some other brand and use dark chocolate. Trust me your life will be changed forever.

Words Of Deliciousness — July 13, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

I totally love this smores. Bacon is such a interesting ingredient in the smores. Love the sweet and salty combo.

Tracy — July 13, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

You are an evil genius. Now I definitely have to make my own marshmallows!!

Erin @ erinberries — July 14, 2012 @ 12:24 am

Definitely trying this out ASAP! I’ve never made marshmallows before. I’m not big on chocolate on my smores, but bacon – bacon I can do. :)

yumgoggle — July 14, 2012 @ 3:23 am

Like you, I’d love loads of this for breakfast. Eat like a king in the morning…singing…. Yey! I love delicious treats like this. I love homemade marshmallows but this is the first time i am trying bourbon for such recipe. Looks exciting. Adding the bacon to this, genius!
    It is Myfudo here…Love to share the wonderful news to you, MyFudo is getting a new look, we are moving to a new domain http://www.yumgoggle.com, (previously myfudo.com) this has been a project we have been working on for almost a year now. We just launched our new gallery submission site, and we are just thrilled. Unique and interesting bloggers like you will make the Yumgoggle gallery more fun and exciting. Allow us to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers & food photographers out there! Please sign up and check us out (it’s free) http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery
    We look forward to seeing your wonderful pictures, as always.

p.s. We are hosting a Kitchen Aid Mixer Giveaway to celebrate our new Yumgoggle site, coming soon in our launch post, we hope you’ll participate =)

Rodzilla — July 14, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Give me because of you from 98 degrees, and I’ll raise you summertime girls from LFO. You give me s’mores with bourbon marshmallows + bacon and I think you’ve topped it.

• Jessica — July 14th, 2012 @ 9:58 am

Um, LFO always wins. Always.

morristownmemos — July 14, 2012 @ 9:47 am

Bourbon for Breakfast: what could be bad???
    Try them with cinnamon grahams. Wonderful!

• Tanya Maia — July 16th, 2012 @ 11:07 am

She said cinnamon grahams… *flatlines*

died and gone to heaven.

Alyssa — July 14, 2012 @ 9:54 am

I just showed this to my fiance as an option for breakfast and he goes “stop! why must you torture me like this?” Haha!

Shanna — July 14, 2012 @ 10:03 am

I die. These look insanely amazing. However, I make my own marshmallows at Christmas time every year. Usually vanilla or candy cane. I tried making your baileys ones and after three failed batches I gave up. They never got as poofy as regular ones. Not sure if it was the
    booze or what. They tasted amazing but they were very small, flat dense marshllows. Not at all like yours in your pics. So I am willing to sacrifice some of our bourbon to make these because I freaking love s’mores, bourbon and have rekindled my love of bacon recently. I will let you know.

• Jessica — July 14th, 2012 @ 10:09 am

I think the Bailey’s ones don’t get as fluffy because of the creaminess in the booze? I’m not positive, but the beer and bourbon is much lighter and they always get thick and normal for me – just as if I used water!

Pop Art Minis - Joni — July 14, 2012 @ 10:43 am

oh, this looks way to yummy! Will have to definitely give it a try!

Charlie — July 14, 2012 @ 11:40 am

You don’t have to convince me!

You had me in your court with the picture (LOL).

These I must make!

Have a Joyful Day!

Charlie

Annie — July 14, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

What kind if mad genious are you????

• Annie — July 14th, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

Of!!!!! Sorry. I type too quickly for this ipad!

HeatherChristo — July 14, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

You have lost your mind! These are INSANE.

I am totally making these for my bourbon loving southern sister-in-law!!

Katie @ ohshineon — July 14, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

Oh my lanta.

Melissa | Cajun Sugar Pie — July 14, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

Oh my goodness! That looks beyond AMAZING, and the best breakfast EVER!

Lisa L. — July 15, 2012 @ 1:15 am

I never thought it possible I could say this, but I think you have finally gone over the edge of reason…be afraid Mr. How Sweet, be verrry afraid!

Maureen — July 15, 2012 @ 7:50 am

One photo was left out. I can only imagine what your face looked like after the first bite. I would be sticky from ear to ear and the boobage would be covered as well.

That wouldn’t stop me!

Ruthy — July 15, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Are…you…kidding me? My jaw literally fell open at the first pic. I want to congratulate you then slap myself for wanting this hot mess of incredible.

Mei — July 15, 2012 @ 6:41 pm

This is possibly the most mouth-watering creation I have ever seen. I think that pretty much every day when I read your blog, but I really really mean it today.

ellenbcookery — July 15, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

Here you go again … Making something that’s left me with a craving!

Reem | Simply Reem — July 16, 2012 @ 12:13 am

This is insanity!!!
    Beyond Delicious!!! OMG

Caitlin@ArtemisPrime — July 16, 2012 @ 12:36 am

Ok, first time visiting your blog and THIS is the first thing I see? You are my new hero.

Mary Margaret — July 16, 2012 @ 10:48 am

That is a beautiful mess.

Tanya Maia — July 16, 2012 @ 11:06 am

This is RIDICULOUS in the best way possible.

Kristen M. — July 16, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

I just bought my first ever bottle of bourbon specifically for these marshmallows. I can’t wait to try them out!

Moni Meals — July 16, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

Ha ha!! No way, this just makes me laugh (in a good way).
    I love how you come up with these amazing recipes. ;) Keep it up Jessica!!

Kristi — July 16, 2012 @ 9:15 pm

How in the heck are there only 90 comments on this post? Maybe because no one can quite find the words yet to express the unbelievableness of this creation. Part of me wants to say, “Thank you, Dr. Obvious,” and another part of me wants to scream, “OMG! You must be descendant from the first guy who ever ate a raw oyster.” Brilliant. Yet a little insane. More brilliant than insane, though. ;-)

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — July 17, 2012 @ 6:57 am

Bacon makes everything better!

Nicole — July 17, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

That is amazing! Who would have ever imagined? But it looks so good.

Javelin Warrior — July 20, 2012 @ 12:02 am

You come up with the most amazing creations – I really, REALLY had trouble picking my favorite this week, but these s’mores really stand out. I just want to take a huge bite and taste that bacon and homemade marshmallow… Wow. Anyway, I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and thanks for creating such amazing food…

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — July 20, 2012 @ 12:30 am

Umm yeah…I just need one of these right now, over and out ;)

Jamie — July 22, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

I’ve always wanted to make homemade marshmallows…now I have an excuse!

Emil — July 23, 2012 @ 6:33 am

This is the craziest combo I’ve ever seen – In want one! :-)

Kit — July 23, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

Having a party Friday night. Definitely going to try these! Thanks for sharing, and btw, I love smitten kitchen too! :)

Furmie — July 27, 2012 @ 11:58 am

Can this be done by hand without a mixer??

Jessi — December 23, 2012 @ 2:23 pm

I just made this today with black cherry biurbon. And it tastes epic! I made it all with a hand mixer, but I have two mixers so it was easy to work on the egg whites at the same time. Word of warning for anyone who uses a hand mixer: you will need two people to do this recipe. I tried to do it by myself & failed.

Krychek — January 11, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

YUM!
    This video shows how these (well, similar Bourbon Marshmallows) are made:

Ruta — January 12, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

Whoa. Just whoa. That is crazy.

I’ve been reading your blog for the past hour (shameful, I know) and finally decided to comment. That should give you some idea of how amazing these smores look. You just had to add bacon, didn’t you?

P.S. I think I’m gonna start talking like you for the next 5 days or so. Hopefully you take that as a compliment

• Juli — January 18th, 2013 @ 5:33 pm

I’m making these tomorrow–how did you toast the marshmellows? I have been using the microwave for cheat-s’mores for a while, but I do own a kitchen torch. Or did you use the oven somehow?

Liz — March 17, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

Just rediscovered how epic these are. Seriously, Jessica, your recipes are the BEST. I always refer to your site.

Amy @ This DIY Life — May 7, 2013 @ 12:17 am

This is the first post I’ve ever read on your blog and I gotta tell ya, we could be friends. Like great friends. Sorry if that sounds creepy stalker. But really, I live for s’mores. It says so in my blog…and on my Instagram feed…and my Pinterest board dedicated to s’mores. And bacon must always be in the house. Always.

-first time listener/reader, first time caller/commenter

Psarah — September 1, 2013 @ 11:46 am

This was my first time attempting to make marshmallows. We are having these as dessert for our ‘Baconalia’ celebration today. I just finished making the marshmallows and tasted them (licked them off the spoon, out of the bowl, off the whisk attachments) and OMG! (I should also mention that in all of the days of surfing recipes, blogs and pinterest, this is the very first time I have ever been so taken with something as to leave a comment.) Thank you!

Demi PIetchell — October 9, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

This looks so gooey and delicious! Love it with the bourbon marshmallows – what a great idea! We would love to have you on http://baconsmores.com to guest blog! Please give us a shout if you’d like! Cheers!

Lori — November 14, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

These look amazing. I’ve been trying to master Bourbon Marshmallows for awhile, but have ended up with a flat product, so I am anxious to try your. Are they shelf stable with the egg white?

Eclair — January 18, 2014 @ 2:57 pm

Question:
    I’m dying to try this out. How necessary is the sprinkled powdered sugar? For some reason stores don’t want to carry it, but I need these s’mores right now.

Thank you!

1. Pingback: Bourbon Bacon S'mores - Wha? - Wild Rocket

2. Pingback: Best Bacon Dishes for Father’s Day Bacon Today

3. Pingback: あなたの人生を変える39のS’moresハック | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行る予感!

4. Pingback: S'more Recipes

5. Pingback: あなたの人生を変える39のS’moresハック | 美味しい食事レシピ・最新メニュー(^-^)

6. Pingback: S’mores Gone Wild! | Zevia Blog

7. Pingback: あなたの人生を変える39のS’moresハック | 最新流行フード・北米版!最高に流行る予感!

8. Pingback: Campfire Cooking Combos

9. Pingback: あなたの人生を変える39のS’moresハック | 美味しい食事レシピ・最新メニュー(^-^)

10. Pingback: 23 Foods To Put On Your Bucket List… | UnMotivating