Who am I?

Grilled Sourdough with Buttery Herbs, Heirloom Tomatoes + a Honey Drizzle I howsweeteats.com

There is NO cheese in this recipe. I repeat: there is no cheese in this recipe.

Bread, tomatoes and no cheese. I might be sick. Dying, even. Probably dying of dramaticness. It’s probably a thing.

As the title suggests, I am horribly embarrassed to share such a simple recipe with you but at the same time, I have to tell you what I’ve had for lunch two days this week. Because if I ate it two days in a row, it must be insanely good. Oh, and I had to share that I made something without cheese.

Okay I’m done.

It wasn’t my idea. On Sunday, my cousin Lacy grilled some bread and threw tomatoes on top and it looked delicious… but I had done a number eating my end-of-summer emotions in the form of hot dogs and pasta salad earlier in the day and couldn’t stomach one more bite of anything. Like not even dessert. Howevvvvvver… she gave me some extra bread and I’ve been doing it ever since.

A few years ago, I “grilled” some bread… which means I toasted the heck out of it on my electric griddle. Which is fantastic, and something we do ofter. But it’s not a GRILL grill.

Get it?

I was super excited to find some perfect heirloom tomatoes at my local farm and oh my gosh, they were so perfectly ripe. I hate that in another month or so I’ll have to wait at least half a year to have such delicious tomatoes. Unless I want to eat those orange rocks that my local grocery store tries to pass off as cute little red guys.

Here is the thing about this little snack/meal: the tomatoes TOTALLY shine. I have never tried something so fabulous with so much flavor where the tomatoes are the star of the show. It’s the reason I didn’t add the expected mozzarella (which, come on, given my compulsion to add cheese all over my entire life, really is huge) and even why I skipped my typical balsamic glaze. I obviously love those flavors together – but wanted to do something slightly different. But slightly the same. Am I even making sense?

Probably not.

Nothing new.

Maybe this should be your lunch today.

Yield: serves 2 appropriately, 1 obnoxiously

Total Time: 15 minutes

4 slices sourdough bread
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh chives
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced and covered with salt + pepper
2 tablespoons honey

Heat your grill over medium heat. In a bowl, stir together butter, basil, oregano, chives, thyme and salt until combined. Spread the butter on both sides of each sourdough slice. Place the bread on the grates and grill until the bread is toasty and char marks appear, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side.

Remove the bread and immediately add the sliced tomatoes with a drizzle of honey.

You can’t wait much longer… (drama.)

46 Responses to “Embarrassingly Easy Grilled Sourdough with Buttery Herbs, Heirloom Tomatoes + a Honey Drizzle.”

Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion — August 29, 2013 @ 6:58 am

I love easy!… I have way to many tomateos and this is perfect

Kim in MD — August 29, 2013 @ 6:58 am

I LOVE grilled bread! Yes, this is easy, but so delicious. I have several ripe red tomatoes on my kitchen counter, and I know just what I am going to do with them. I can’t wait for lunch!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 29, 2013 @ 7:17 am

Tomatoes are like my apples. I eat one a day! I love them so much. And your tomatoes in recipes lately have me so happy. With a honey drizzle. Mmm, I want this!

Tieghan — August 29, 2013 @ 7:23 am

No cheese! No way!! I actually think I could handle it though! I mean, grilled bread is always insanely good and those tomatoes look killer!! So jealous you can actually find them. I have not had one all summer and it’s making me crazy sad! Oh and the honey drizzle? Yeah, that’s awesome!! Love it!

Meg Jones | The Spatularettes — August 29, 2013 @ 7:24 am

My farmers market has killer tomatoes from Lancaster County this time of year and I’ve been preparing them every way possible. Latest fav has been thick slices with a bsil leave and dollop of soft goat cheese. But now this method is getting shot straight to the top of the list!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — August 29, 2013 @ 7:27 am

I love how embarrassingly easy this recipe is! I also appreciate the no cheese! Being pregnant and having to stay away from beautiful soft cheeses blows!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 29, 2013 @ 7:32 am

Ooh amazing! There’s just something about grilled bread (and grilled anything for that matter) that makes it taste ten squillion times better than non-grilled. These sound like such a perfect lunch, or appetizer if you sub the sliced bread for baguette!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — August 29, 2013 @ 7:45 am

Haha My treasured 1960s grill does the same thing to my sour dough. It is either the burned to black or disappoint pale. Oh well i like the black bits, I can say it adds “flavour”.
    I love fresh tomatoes better than cooked, Maybe it is the crunchy factor but these look divine as a lunch! Butter, honey and bread; I think I can live with out cheese for one day (maybe)

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — August 29, 2013 @ 7:46 am

I love me some grilled bread. I love bread period. But grilled bread just takes it over the edge. And add fresh ‘maters from my garden?! Yes, yes and yes.

allie@sweetpotatobites — August 29, 2013 @ 7:54 am

mmm I love heirloom tomatoes! and of course how super easy this recipe is.

Jenna — August 29, 2013 @ 8:02 am

Yum! So pretty with the green and red tomatoes! Not to rub it in, but after suffering through all of your amazing, delicious summer recipes it’s nearly Spring here in Australia & I’m so excited to start cooking all your recipes!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — August 29, 2013 @ 8:08 am

Yeah, you definitely don’t need cheese with those beauties and the fresh herbs. The cheese would try to steal their thunder. It looks perfect as-is!

Jenna — August 29, 2013 @ 8:09 am

Love these! The color of those tomotoes is amazing! I need these and its inly 8 am!

DessertForTwo — August 29, 2013 @ 8:16 am

I’m all about tomatoes shining on the own without cheese. This is a great lunch!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — August 29, 2013 @ 8:34 am

Looks tasty!!!

Becki's Whole Life — August 29, 2013 @ 8:36 am

Grilled bread and fresh tomatoes – I can see why you don’t need the cheese. I would never have thought to drizzle honey on tomatoes, but it sounds great!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — August 29, 2013 @ 8:50 am

HA “Serves Two Appropriately, One Obnoxiously”–love it.

I spy green zebras! Those are my absolute favorite. I could stare at heirloom tomatoes all day long, they are that beautiful. Stare AND eat. Sometimes the simplest of recipes are the best!

betty (the sweaty betty) — August 29, 2013 @ 9:15 am

i’m okay with just eating the bread. mmmm carbs.

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — August 29, 2013 @ 9:21 am

Love how simple (yet delicious!) this is!

Archana @ FeedingtheFoodie — August 29, 2013 @ 9:51 am

love this recipe – I love grilled bread and I particularly like them topped with fresh summer produce like that.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 29, 2013 @ 9:52 am

Ooooo my favorite about this is the chee – oh wait.

Ashley@BakerbyNature — August 29, 2013 @ 9:58 am

So um… I know I done already said this, but I want to liiiiiiive off this! 4-real. 4-ever.

erin @hooleywithaz — August 29, 2013 @ 10:38 am

just found the first thing i’m going to grill on the brand new grill my husband just put together. is that sacrilege to grill something that is not meat? who cares?

honeywhatscooking — August 29, 2013 @ 11:09 am

looks delicious. i’m loving tomatoes this season.. so juicy. i’ve never bought green tomatoes, need to change that.

Martyna — August 29, 2013 @ 11:30 am

this looks absolutely delicious! xx

Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — August 29, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

Seriously, what is it about grilled bread?! Does it get any better than that? Oh yeah, by topping it with buttery herbs, heirloom tomatoes, and honey drizzle. Seriously, honey drizzle! So sold on this, even if it doesn’t have cheese ;)

Anne — August 29, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

Eileen — August 29, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

Hey, sometimes the easiest & least complicated of foods are the best! I would totally scarf down a plate of this for lunch, no problem–even without the cheese. :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 29, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

I definitely need to try this! Delicious recipe!

Cookie and Kate — August 29, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

Embarassingly easy? I’m all over it. Those are the most brilliant recipes! Charred bread, herbs, honey, tomatoes… yessss.

Sara Gelder — August 29, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

I love that you linked shramms in here. I never ever go in there enough. Everytime I ride by on my bike I want to stop in and eat all of the things!

DeLallo Foods — August 30, 2013 @ 9:41 am

Yum! Easy and delicious–lovin’ the tomatoes!

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor — August 30, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

I love how many uses there are for heirloom tomatoes. They always make everything look so colorful and fresh.

YoungMild&Free — August 30, 2013 @ 9:55 pm

This. Looks. Amazing. Trying this immediately! Thank you for sharing!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 30, 2013 @ 11:06 pm

Larry — September 4, 2013 @ 4:30 pm

My mouth totally watered while looking at that last pic right there. I love the way you torture me with your deliciousness on the daily.

1. Pingback: Things I like Thursday… | Crazy Jamie

2. Pingback: 50+ Mouthwatering Labor Day Recipes | Barbara Bakes

3. Pingback: Sourdough Grilled Cheese with Roasted Poblanos, Smoked Cheddar and Curried Brown Butter | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Keep it Simple | a glass of milk

5. Pingback: Weekend Inspiration: September 14-15 | Just a Dash

6. Pingback: 41 Ways With Lunch | Savvy Eats

7. Pingback: Cinnamon Sugar Sourdough French Toast Bake with Whipped Greek Yogurt Cream | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Cinnamon Sugar Sourdough French Toast Bake with Whipped Greek Yogurt Cream. | pinmeplease

9. Pingback: If You’re in an Online Reading Mood… | Clara Persis

10. Pingback: Heirloom Tomato, Avocado and Burrata Salad on Grilled Garlic Toast | How Sweet It Is