I’m a little depressed.

Chipotle Lime Butter Whole Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

The last of the corn and tomatoes are definitely here. I’m going to assault you with one more full-blown corn recipe tomorrow and then… meh. It’s done. I’ve been talking about it for a few weeks but this is pretty much it.

I’m actually a bit concerned over what I will eat for dinner every night.

Probably this?

Chipotle Lime Butter Whole Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

The chipotle lime combo is one that never gets old, but we’ve been HOOKED since I made these grilled skewers. My favorite way to prepare a roasted chicken these days is by stuffing butter and, well… something, under the skin. Then still covering the top with olive oil like I always do. It gets so crispy and no, things have not changed. Within ten minutes of this chicken coming out of the oven, I’m going to town on the crispy skin. Like just give me that. It’s my happy meal.

I purposely don’t let anyone know when the chicken is finished roasting, just so I can have all the skin to myself. Such a selfish B.

Things also haven’t changed in the sense that I’m still roasting about one chicken per week. Last week I actually roasted two chickens. They are simple, we love the dark meat, in general I find that the chicken has more flavor and… it’s kind of like burning a giant roasted chicken scented candle in your house for two hours.

Too much?

I’m still holding out for that. Well, that and a brown butter candle. The bacon candle just doesn’t do it for me. I want the real thing.

Chipotle Lime Butter Whole Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

On top of all those other things, roasting a chicken is just easy. And it provides us meals for the week. I’ll take the chicken and use it for salads or quesadillas or even omelets for lunch. The versatility astounds me at times. And you’re talking to someone who gets bored of something before she even does it.

Speaking of being bored, this black bean and corn salad is incredibly overdone and really just a salsa masquerading as a salad. Depends on what kind of mood you’re in, but add a little diced red onion and it’s reeeeeeally a salsa. However, it makes an awesome accompaniment to the chicken – and also works in your salads, quesadillas or omelets.

So this is like three meals in one. Or two. Wait. Now I’m just confused. Just gonna eat it.

Chipotle Lime Butter Whole Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

1 cup cooked or fresh sweet corn
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup torn fresh cilantro
2 limes, juiced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Pat the chicken completely dry with paper towels. For a more detailed step-by-step post of exactly how I roast a chicken, click here.
In a small bowl, mash together the butter, adobo sauce, lime zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Lift the skin over top of the chicken breast and stuff the butter underneath, dispersing the butter mixture over the chicken breasts and legs. Be gently so the skin doesn't rip. Cover the outside of the whole chicken with the olive oil (rub it down all over!) and sprinkle it evenly with the remaining salt, pepper, paprika and chili powder. Stuff the lime halves inside the cavity of the chicken. If desired, tie the legs together with kitchen twine. I don't always do this - it depends on if I have twine and patience. I also often roast the chicken breast-side down so the meat is more juicy. Place the chicken in a roasting pan or baking dish and roast for 75 minutes, or until the juices run clear when you slice into the leg.

Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice the chicken and serve it with the corn and black beans.

black bean salad
Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl and toss. This tastes best when made an hour or so ahead of time and will stay fresh in the fridge for a day or two if kept in a sealed container.

Chipotle Lime Butter Whole Roasted Chicken I howsweeteats.com

If this doesn’t float your boat, try this goat cheese stuffed roasted chicken that I made exactly one year ago. Yes.

55 Responses to “Chipotle Lime Butter Whole Roasted Chicken with The Easiest Black Bean + Corn Salad.”

Jamie @lifelovelemons — September 18, 2013 @ 6:53 am

I’ve been wanted to roast a chicken but have been terrified to do so! This recipe might just be my final motivation. It looks amazing!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 18, 2013 @ 7:28 am

You just made me sad! I love corn and tomatoes and I’ll keep buying them until that summer flavor is gone! Your dish looks amazing!!! Yum!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — September 18, 2013 @ 7:40 am

Chipotle, lime, black beans, and corn…… definitely 4 of the finest things in life. With corn and tomatoes going out of season now, I think this makes a fabulous ‘last supper’!!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — September 18, 2013 @ 7:51 am

Mmmm looks delicious ! As does last year’s goat cheese chicken… Can’t decide which to try first!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — September 18, 2013 @ 7:54 am

The black bean and corn salad sound so good. And so does chipotle lime butter. I want that on everything!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — September 18, 2013 @ 7:55 am

We’ve been into roasting chickens lately too. I used to be so intimidated by them so I aolely would purchase them already done at the store. Now I realize how easy. Ah, the joy!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — September 18, 2013 @ 8:20 am

I think this could replace the Sunday roast in my house! The only thing I am more excited about is the left overs in a grilled cheesy quesadilla! The glory of roast chicken is never ending for me.

Jana H. — September 18, 2013 @ 8:37 am

Mmmmm, I can so get on board with this. Haven’t roasted a chicken in a while so I’m thinking this will be a good way to get back into it. :-D

DeLallo Foods — September 18, 2013 @ 9:07 am

Looks so delicious!

Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion — September 18, 2013 @ 9:19 am

I know what you mean…. no more fresh corn… and tomatoes…. waaaaa

Stephanie @ PlainChicken — September 18, 2013 @ 9:25 am

Looks amazing! Love the black bean & corn salad.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — September 18, 2013 @ 9:26 am

YUM–I’m making this before all the corn and tomatoes disappear for good (so sad about this). This is my kind of roast chicken.

I used to be such a white meat kinda girl when I was younger, but now I’m always asking for the drumsticks. So much more flavor! I wouldn’t mind a roast chicken candle either!! Perhaps with a whiff of mashed potatoes and gravy?

Ali @ Inspiralized — September 18, 2013 @ 9:27 am

You make roasting a chicken look easy! Love this post, and i’m also depressed about the corn and tomato draught about to happen!

Holiday Baker Man — September 18, 2013 @ 9:55 am

RavieNomNoms — September 18, 2013 @ 10:05 am

Yum, yum and yum!

Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife — September 18, 2013 @ 10:29 am

I always buy my roasted chickens at the supermarket instead of making them myself. Is it cheaper/easier to just roast it myself? I am curious to know!

Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen — September 18, 2013 @ 10:31 am

I’ve been putting lime on everything these days. I can’t get enough! This looks soooooo good.

dervla — September 18, 2013 @ 10:31 am

oooh nothing beats a good roast chicken – such a sunday night meal for me. And i’m mourning the end of tomato season too, although you wouldn’t know it by the glut of tomatoes at the farmers market this morning. I’m laughing over the thought of the chicken coming to the table bald because you’ve eaten all the skin already! “What? No, Eddie, the chicken came this way!! Skinless :)”

Kim in MD — September 18, 2013 @ 10:36 am

This looks AMAZING!

Abbie @ Needs Salt — September 18, 2013 @ 11:45 am

This look so delicious! And that black bean + corn salad looks just phenomenal on it’s own. Corn season is over–it’s so sad!
    Beautiful photos, as always. :)

Beth @ bethcakes — September 18, 2013 @ 11:58 am

Looks delicious! I never get tired of chicken recipes. Keep ’em coming. :)

Kathy@SugarRushBaking — September 18, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

Yumm, looks fabulous. Looking forward to the leftover possibilities as well. I agree i hate to see the fresh summer veggies go away.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — September 18, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I’m depressed about corn and tomato season being gone, too. It’s just so sad!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — September 18, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

This looks divine! I love roasting chickens, especially for the upcoming winter months. The black bean and corn salad is the perfect way to keep holding onto the last bits of summer even though it’s gettin’ colder!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — September 18, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

This looks so good!!! Making me hungry!!!

Marie — September 18, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

This is just what I need! I’ve been thinking about roasting a chicken lately and this just sounds amazing. I am so doing this.

Lauren E. — September 18, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

I HAD to share this!!! West Wing. I die.

• Jessica — September 18th, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

hahaha i know!! i’m freaking out!!

ATasteOfMadness — September 18, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

Oh my wow. This looks fantastic! I am in love with anything chipotle!

Larry — September 18, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

Your blog posts make me depressed because I know that my lunch of leftover pizza could never live up to that. Although…. it IS jalapeño, pepperoni and pineapple pizza….

Heather — September 18, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

I think I’m going to make this for dinner tonight, but one question – do you roast your chicken uncovered? Thanks!

• Jessica — September 18th, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

yes, i do!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — September 18, 2013 @ 6:08 pm

Dying over this gorgeous chicken and salad, Jessica! It looks like an incredible combo!

Ashley — September 18, 2013 @ 10:40 pm

This looks gorgeous and delicious! Why does summer ever need to end?!

Lauren — September 19, 2013 @ 6:25 am

Thia is going on the must try list!

If you like scented candles check out Aunt Sadies. They are so wonderful. I just bought my sister BLT (3separate candles) for her birthday. She said the bacon candle has a wonderful smokey smell to it. Even my mother who hates scented candles loved it. They have really wonderful and unique candles.

carrie@bakeaholicmama — September 19, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

Gorgeous! There is just something about this weather that makes me crave roasted chicken. I

Rochelle Hutchinson — September 20, 2013 @ 8:19 am

This chicken looks so scrummy. I want to make this just so I can make some leftover food with this. Want to put this into a tortilla and shove it into my gob :)

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — September 23, 2013 @ 12:25 pm

I’d be all OVER that crispy chicken skin. YUM!!

laura — September 30, 2013 @ 7:12 am

Do you think this might work in a slow cooker? I know the skin wouldn’t crisp, but my oven is wonky. Looks fantastic tho!

• Jessica — September 30th, 2013 @ 9:37 am

probably! i know a lot of people have done chickens in the slow cooker but i haven’t tried yet. i would see if you can find a recipe for one and then just use this seasoning!

• laura — October 2nd, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

Thanks, Jessica. I tried it tonight and it was good. I shredded it and used it on nachos…but it would also work well in a chipotle chicken soup recipe I have. THe chicken recipe was from 100daysofrealfood.com. Thanks!!

Lauren L — October 8, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

Made this last night! Absolutely amazing!!!!! I plan on making this a LOT from now on, the chicken is taaaaaasty and the bean and corn salad makes you never want to stop eating ever again. mmmmmmm

I used a bit more lime juice and cilantro because we love those flavors! and the chicken was roasted upside down and that’s what i’ll be doing from now on with my birds – so juicy!

great recipe! Thank so much for this new staple!

Bianca — October 23, 2013 @ 7:18 am

I made this tonight for my family and they totally loved it. It was delish! My only issue was that, as I roasted it breast-down, the beautiful crispy skin kind of ended up on the wrong side … But a small price to pay! I added a side of mash potatoes, as seen in The Candid Appetitie’s potato tacos (http://www.thecandidappetite.com/2013/10/14/potato-tacos). The flavours worked really well together! Thanks a lot.

Liz — November 14, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

The meal was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing it

Stephanie — November 25, 2013 @ 11:08 am

Could you toss some cut up sweet potatoes underneath and roast it for a few minutes longer? If I try it, I’ll post the results!

Kim — March 15, 2014 @ 7:53 pm

What happens when you roast upside down…doesn’t the compound butter just drain out?

Ashley — June 3, 2015 @ 4:45 pm

Making this as we speak! your recipes have never failed me before. went a little paprika and adobo crazy but I love a bit of a kick. Looking forward to it.

1. Pingback: Monday Announcements: 9.23.13 | Healthy Living Blogs