October Lifestyle Favorites I howsweeteats.com

The tieks. Okay people, this is a pretty huge deal for me. I absolutely loathe flats. I have never owned pair in my life and I’m 30 years old. I find them uncomfortable and they do nothing to flatter how incredibly short my legs are. But in attempts to break out of wearing strictly workout clothes/shoes, I branched out and got a pair of matte black ones a few months ago. I liked them, but it wasn’t until the first weekend in October when I was in Utah and wore them for four days straight. Serious LOVE. I adore that they are sporty enough and super flexible. They are so comfortable that I got another pair. You won’t see me wearing these with jeans anytime soon, but I’ve been living in them with leggings. Yes they are pricey but I did my fair share of research before buying a pair. From what I’ve read, they will last for years.

Pinterest. If you follow me then you know I’ve had a huge resurgence of Pinterest love after almost hating it for the last year due to it’s overwhleming nature. Now I’m drawing a lot of inspiration from it, most likely because I have a bit more time on my hands and it’s working wonders. I’m currently making my bar cart dreams come true. I still don’t do crafts though!

This smoky white bean chicken chili. This is a meal I find myself going back to time and time again. It is healthy and filling and tastes PHENOMENAL. I make a big batch, freeze half and it reheats beautifully. This is a must make if you like these types of things.

Sunday night TV. You know I’m a slave to HBO but right now I’m watching four (!!!) shows on Sunday night: Boardwalk, Eastbound and Down, Homeland and Walking Dead. The latter two are in the lead. I do find myself wishing for a fresher storyline on Homeland though – like is the entire series going to be about this one main thing? And my absolute favorite is Nashville. Gosh I love that show so much. Sometimes I feel like the editing can be a little wonky (does anyone else think they end scenes very abruptly?) but I love it. I want to be a country music star. I also want to live in Nashville. Too bad I hate the heat.

Homemade breakfast sandwiches. I buy this whole grain sourdough bread from a local Amish bakery and it rocks my socks off. My favorite version of the sandwich at the moment is fried eggs, bacon, smoked gruyere and arugula. OMG.

Comfy sweaters to wear with leggings and jeans. At the beginning of the month I got this one from Victoria’s Secret and oh my gosh – it’s a huge favorite. I want it in every color. I also got one similar to this at Target in the fabulous but putrid shade of greenish mustard.

This mint cookie chocolate from ghirardelli. Oh wow – I discovered this at my local grocery store and was eating a square at night as a treat before all of the Halloween candy appeared. It’s like a thin mint cookie inside of milk chocolate. GAH!

In terms of books, I finished 11/22/63 and REALLY enjoyed it even though it was outside of the box from my usual favorite novels. Tuesday night I downloaded Anne Lamott’s new book on my iPad (god I hate reading on that thing) because she is one of my favorite authors and I adore everything she does. So far, so good. Whatcha reading now? (<- these are amazon affiliate links.)

While we’re on the topic of sweaters, I’ve been living in my Rachel Roy chunky cardigan sweater this year. Mine is last year’s version in purple and what you saw in this instagram shot. It’s so warm and doubles as a coat when the weather is iffy.

The Trader Joe’s pumpkin ice cream. The last few years I have strayed from the path of pumpkin, but for some reason my love for it came back with a vengeance this year. I have tried a bunch of pumpkin ice creams and this is BY FAR my favorite and the best I’ve tried. So damn good.

While we’re on the pumpkin subject, I should really just say autumn in general. Gosh, I love it so much. But also, I am your stereotypical chick that lives for candles and fall is the best time of year for candles, in my opinion. I’ve done my fair share of damage burning cider lane, leaves and sweater weather.

These lace up wedge boots. This is more like what I wear everyday with jeans – I want some height since I’m so short and this color goes with everything. Not to mention that these are super comfortable and I’ve walked in them for a couple hours already.

Uh, can I tell you something funny? Spanx!! I bought my first pair last week and wore them under a skirt and cobalt blue top… holy crap!! Why has it taken me so long to try these fabulous little things? I love how they smooth everything out and are actually comfortable. The person who shall not be named that I bought mine with also really loves hers.

I know I mentioned this last month, but these sweet and tangy peppers. I’m not sure if I have ever consumed something so consistently for so long. We are absolutely obsessed and eat them plain, on sandwiches, in pasta and even on pizza. I’m buying jars by the bucketful. I might turn into a pepper soon.

[none of this is sponsored, just like to talk about things that I discover and love.]

34 Responses to “October Favorites: Food + Fun.”

Kristen — November 1, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

I’m so glad you liked 11/22/63! It was totally outside of my norm too but I was just so fascinated by it. The whole Butterfly Effect thing is crazy to think about!

Also I have a bar cart obsession… and found out last week that my sister lives near a place that refurbishes and pimps up old airline beverage carts to make very cool bar carts for like $100 or something! I can’t wait to go visit her again!

Maria — November 1, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

Ok, I need to get a pair of Tieks. I really wanted to steal yours in Park City, but my feet are too big:) I am obsessed with those peppers too! They are better than candy. Seriously!

Rachael P. from Texas — November 1, 2013 @ 3:57 pm

Nashville is my absolute favorite too! I’m so in love with Deacon (and Gunnar)… I’m just glad Deacon is starting to get out of the “I hate the world” funk. He’s way sexier with a smile on his face, ha! I’m obsessed with it too. And seriously, can my hair not look like Rayna’s everyday? I wish.

Kristina — November 1, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

we are bar cart twins. years ago, there was The Perfect One at Crate and Barrel, and for whatever reason (in college, tiny apartment, no use for it) I did not buy it. now I cannot find one I really like… and so wish I would have bought that one even if it stayed in the box or whatever until now.

can you tell I have very specific feelings about this? I want a bar cart so bad. we now have a library, I am getting closer.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — November 1, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

Great list! Autumn for the win! :)
    I had never heard of Tieks before — is that weird? Anyway, now I want/need a pair!

Have a great weekend!

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate — November 1, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

Cool flats but holy crap, I was not expecting them to be that expensive!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — November 1, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

Those peppers. Every time you link to them I want them. And glad you’re back into Pinterest again and having fun. I think I need a bar cart too! :) Have a great weekend and thanks for the reminder about the Tjs pumpkin ice cream. Everyone says they have a great one, but I know you know what’s up so now I need to try it (and I am not a big ice cream person but will go out on a limb…ha)

Maria — November 1, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

Oh Tieks. We are having the most awesome love affair right now. I started with a pair of the vegan ones and after a few months, they are started to show some serious wear and tear (because I obviously wear them a LOT), but the kind folks there are replacing them for free. And then my husband got me a giftcard for a second pair (I got the chestnut colored one for fall) and this is just the beginning…

Also, I’m 4’11” so I’m just embracing the fact that my legs will never look long, regardless of the shoes.

betty (the sweaty betty) — November 1, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

so about the tieks.. can you see the blue soles from the sides?

• Jessica — November 1st, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

barely, but prob a little bit!

Jen — November 1, 2013 @ 4:55 pm

Love the VS sweater!! A lot of the reviews say that it runs very large, did you find that? Did you size down?

• Jessica — November 1st, 2013 @ 5:29 pm

i was concerned about that too – i actually wanted it to be really big. i am always either a small or medium, like it’s a 50/50 chance every time and i went with a small due to the reviews. i think it is perfect but would never say it is huge. i’d say it looks as big as it does on the model, if that makes sense!

cindy — November 1, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

I have been eyeing some tieks for a while now…I’m glad to know they are worth the cash!

cheyenne — November 1, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

i love pinterest, but must admit i feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes myself. there is just so. much. to. see. i don’t know where to start, or how to work with it!
    and pumpkin ice cream sounds so good!
    xo, cheyenne

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — November 1, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

I love to wear sweaters and leggings during the cool winter/fall months. Too bad most days we are still in the 80’s here… hopefully soon!

Madeline — November 1, 2013 @ 7:12 pm

Two words: Spanx Leggings. OMG.

Tieghan — November 2, 2013 @ 9:39 am

So many things I am eying in this post, but I love all the sweater links! I am a huge cozy sweater person!

Meese — November 2, 2013 @ 9:42 am

I LOVE my Tieks – I have the Electric Snake ones, and turns out, they go with waaaay more than I thought they would! Which ones are you wearing in the pic? I really like them but can’t tell which ones they are!

• Lisa — November 2nd, 2013 @ 10:13 am

Yes! What color, pretty please? Love them!!

Larry — November 2, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

I want a breakfast sandwich so bad right now, I could cry. I just might.

Shiloh Barkley — November 2, 2013 @ 9:57 pm

Glad you discovered spanx! Please spread the word. So many more women will live them too!

Deva — November 2, 2013 @ 11:01 pm

I LOVE sweaters and leggings this year – such a comfy combo. I found fleece-lined leggings at Target last week – a must for my 109-year-old house!

Deidra — November 3, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

At BBW this weekend I spotted the Autumn candles are 50% off, .I picked up Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin backups and also tried Cider Lane and Autumn. Not a bad deal when the 2/$20 deal isn’t going on….

Adrienne — November 3, 2013 @ 6:02 pm

Those Tieks made me think of my beloved Gap flats from a few years back..I went through 3 pairs that year! Love how flexible the soles are..makes you want to point your toes and dance!

Ashley — November 3, 2013 @ 10:23 pm

I want those flats in every color! I can’t do heels! Also…that pumpkin ice cream from TJ’s is in my parents’ fridge…as is a quart of the Jeni’s torched marshmallow

Dana — November 4, 2013 @ 9:33 am
    Simone — November 4, 2013 @ 9:44 am

I’m currently reading Nicholas Spark’s new book which my mother-in-law has on loan to me. She said it wasn’t her favorite, but I don’t know how I feel about it yet.

I’m not sure why everyone doesn’t have pumpkin ice cream right now, considering it tastes amazing. Last year I made pumpkin ice cream off of Katie’s (Yes I want Cake) recipe if I remember correctly, with cornflake, almond, chocolate crunch and it was INCREDIBLE.

DeLallo Foods — November 4, 2013 @ 9:54 am

Thanks for the shout-out! :) Those peppers are the bomb! We can’t get enough of them either!

Melissa — November 4, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

Absolutely obsessed with Tieks! Have the nude/camel ones which really helps with that whole short leg situation – or at least I think it does.

Michelle — November 5, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

i can’t believe you’re not watching Masters of Sex and The Good Wife on Sunday nights! As if you need more shows, but I think those are the two best ones.

• Jessica — November 5th, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

oh i have been watching masters of sex.. just not totally hooked on it. and i do watch the good wife randomly because i love most of the actors in the show! just not a staple of mine.

Lori Heerlyn — December 15, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

The leggings you are wearing with the tieks in this post are so cute! Can you tell me the brand please? Thanks and love your website!!

1. Pingback: 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: His and Hers. | How Sweet It Is