Tuesday Things.

tuesday things I howsweeteats.com-1-6

1. We are going on a trip tomorrow and as my husband was cleaning out his travel backpack, he took out a handful of change that he keeps “in case he has to make a call from a phone booth.” My response was “what is a phone booth?” But no. Really?

2. He also has 18 (no exaggeration) bags of snacks packed for a trip to a city where we will do nothing but eat. This is my life.

3. This s’mores cake. Is this real life?

4. The only thing on my TV lineup this week besides Christmas Vacation was Homeland. I’m having a slight panic attack because I saw that in real life, Saul shaved his beard and said he hadn’t been allowed to shave it for over two years. Um, why now? This is causing me to come up with all sorts of theories about the final episode this week and if something happens to him, I might cry. Also, I feel like Brody is going to get killed off. I don’t think that is a spoiler since it’s just my own thoughts and people have been saying he is going to get killed for three years now. So yeah… that.

5. I mentioned earlier this week that we watched House of Cards. In two days. Yes – the whole things, in two days. Happy holiday season to us! Anyhoo, I have a massive girl crush on Robin Wright. Holy cow. That hair, her clothes, gah. All of it. I want that hair cut but I’d probably have to grow eight inches and then have more prominent cheekbones surgically implanted in my face. Stunning on her.

6. Did you see that Pantone named the color of 2014 to be radiant orchid? Uhh. Are they spying on me?

7. Now that I ran out of crafts to do, I want to do more. Any fun and obnoxiously easy things you can share with me? Please.

8. Can we talk about the Sprint commercials with James Earl Jones and Malcolm McDowell? How they talk as if they are communicating on Facebook? I’m sure a bunch of you hate those but I laugh out loud every single time. Especially when they say “totes mcgotes.” Just… no. I die.

9. Big giggles: the 28 funniest notes written by kids in 2013. In hysterics. Don’t we wish that the first one was true?

53 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Teresa — December 10, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

I made wine charms Sunday night for the whole family for Christmas – bought earring hoops at the craft store and beads, and now everyone will have a name on a glass! I also added in Elf and Grinch just for fun – so easy crafting

Annie — December 10, 2013 @ 3:33 pm

I’m with you 100% on the House of Cards comment! Can’t wait for the next season!

Jenn — December 10, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

I have an easy craft! And it will make perfect use of all that glitter you’ve got. I started to type it all but then realized it would be easier to link to the actual tutorial I followed soooo here ya go: http://theornamentgirl.com/blog/being-crafty/how-to-make-glitter-christmas-ornaments-diy/

Lauren — December 10, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

Love house of cards! When I was living in downtown Baltimore, they filmed literally across the street from my apartment complex. Every day, I’d take the dog out because they were shooting and I’d hope to run into someone famous. One afternoon, I actually saw Kevin Spacey filming a scene. It was pretty neat!
    And totally agree on Robin Wright. She’s amazing. The next season is supposed to come out on Valentine’s day-so you don’t have to wait too long!

Lisa — December 10, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

Oh man! I hadn’t heard that about Saul. And we are behind!!!

Jennifer S — December 10, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

My boyfriend is the kind of person who legitimately laughs out loud at commercials, and I’m just sitting there rolling my eyes. Those commercials are pretty good though.

-Jen
    yourstrulyjen.com

Katriel — December 10, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

#23 all day. If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
    And I’m going to just sit and drool at that smores cake.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — December 10, 2013 @ 4:09 pm

I need to try watching House of Cards next. Ugh, sometimes it’s like there are so many shows to watch, it’s overwhelming!

I am totally obsessed with making yarn wreaths. You can make them for every holiday and I just had a big craft party at my house this past weekend where seven of us made them. And you can go totally nuts with sparkly things! I do a lot of mine with felt characters, but I just made one with tons of glittery stars and sparkly yarn. Here is a tutorial on my blog from last year if you are interested: http://eat-drink-love.com/2012/12/yarn-wreaths/

Carrie — December 10, 2013 @ 4:16 pm

Here is a craft I think you may like. From one of my other fav bloggers, Erin at House of Earnest.

Kristen — December 10, 2013 @ 4:18 pm

See, that’s what you get when you marry an older man…phone booths = #thisis40
    Every single time we go someplace my husband asks me if we have change and cash. It drives me crazy because I want to say dude it’s 2013 we don’t need cash!!
    That s’mores cake is killing me. And that blog. Thanks for the intro!

Amber — December 10, 2013 @ 4:22 pm

I love those Spring commercials! Especially the one where they’re the couple trying to find each other in the store, and one of them keeps wandering off. It is exactly like my in-laws at Walmart. Laugh-out-loud funny!

Robin M. — December 10, 2013 @ 4:22 pm

House of Cards is insanely good! Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are ahh-mazing in it. I am jonesing for next season!

Maren — December 10, 2013 @ 4:29 pm

I had a gazillion corks to use, so I made cork coasters as Christmas presents a couple of years ago and they turned out SO cute. The majority of them were “Charles Shaw”, but I was okay with that :) They sucked to cut the corks, but the rest was pretty easy!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — December 10, 2013 @ 4:29 pm

My mom loves anything in the family of radiant orchid. I am telling her about that!

And you’re crafting now. Love that :)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — December 10, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

That cake!!!!!!!! Phone booths are so expensive now. I see one every once in a blue moon–but aren’t they like 1.50+ for a call? Who carries that many quarters around?!

marla — December 10, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

My husband and I were JUST talking about those commercials last night. He had to look up what totes mcgotes meant since we both had no idea. We LOVE those commercials. We are cracking up with you every single time they come on! Totes mcgotes and cray crazy adorbs are my favorites! I’m glad we’re not alone! I just put on my FB last night that those were the best commercials ever!

laura — December 10, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

Could not agree more about Robin Wright. THAT HAIR.

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — December 10, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

Agh! Now I’m all freaked out about Saul. Maybe it’s just a way of starting over, he shaves the beard because he’s not head of the CIA any more?

Kate — December 10, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

I wish I had your husband’s change when I tried to go to a Trader Joe’s the other day and went through THREE tolls – one of which was $5.10!!!! And I NEVER carry cash or coins. Sigh.

I made a cute “merry christmas” sign with stencils and wrapping paper yesterday and I am not crafty at all!

Nicole — December 10, 2013 @ 6:13 pm

Jessica! You scared me with your Homeland/Saul beard shaving remarks! I had to look it up and it says, “Fans of the star’s facial hair need not to worry, the beard will be back for the filming of the fourth season of the series in 2014.”

Oh god. If we lost Saul on that show, what’s the point, right? I’d be like Boardwalk Empire and all the best people getting killed off.

• Jessica — December 10th, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

you seriously just saved me. saved me, i’m telling you.

• Nicole — December 11th, 2013 @ 2:45 am

I completely understand. This season I’ve been waiting impatiently for the next episode because of Saul’s story line. He’s the best. I would never cheat on him if we were married… just sayin’.

jennifer b — December 10, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

Super easy infinity scarf using fingers to crochet on the Colors Of Lily youtube channel. Super easy if you know how to crochet. I made one and now want to make lots more. That deborah norville serenity chunky weight yarn is very soft. Get two skeins, hold two strands together.enjoy!

Heather — December 10, 2013 @ 7:34 pm

No joke, there are nights that I look forward to watching TV for the sole purpose of watching those Sprint commercials. I am in tears every time! Well done, Sprint, well done…

Ashley — December 10, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

#1 for reals made me laugh out loud. I immediately googled “saul shaves beard” and cannot believe my eyes! Is that the same person?????

DessertForTwo — December 10, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

I laugh out loud at those Sprint commercials. Even the first one cracked me up, and I didn’t think they could get any better. Then, an old man said totes mcgoats. I die.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — December 10, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

I love those Sprint commercials too — I think they’re great, even if everyone else finds them annoying :)

Darcy — December 10, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

Have you ever seen Yentl? Mandy Pantinkin was a FOX.

• Nicole — December 11th, 2013 @ 2:43 am

Oh. My. God.

Michele — December 10, 2013 @ 10:11 pm

Totes magotes, I laugh at them all. Very clever.

Annie @Annie's City Kitchen — December 11, 2013 @ 12:05 am

For crafts you can try one of those permanent marker/mug things! Like this! http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2012/06/his-her-sharpie-mug-diy.html So many cute options.

Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes — December 11, 2013 @ 1:09 am

Ahhh! Homeland is killing me. 5ish days till the season finale – not that I’m counting!

Kristin @ Bake Something — December 11, 2013 @ 1:36 am

So I love Homeland but am a few episodes back. I curse work for that. House of cards is awesome! They are so cold! I can’t wait for the next season. Totes Mcgotes!! Love it!!

Katie — December 11, 2013 @ 6:05 am

I was in tears the first time I saw that commerical too!

Rachel — December 11, 2013 @ 8:20 am

Homeland is getting rather mental, isn’t it?

And as for the phone booth, that is mental. I live in London, so I obviously see them all the time, but I’ve never seen one being used, tourists just post near them for photos! And actually, I used to live in Los Angeles and I can’t remember seeing a single one there.

Chrissy — December 11, 2013 @ 8:33 am

I recently made tile coasters. http://blueprintcrafts.com/2012/05/weekend-project-tile-coaster-tutorial/

They were like literally un-mess-up-able. If you want to make them, shoot me an email and I’ll give you a few tips I picked up while making them, that worked for me that aren’t in the tutorial.

betty — December 11, 2013 @ 10:17 am

i love the sprint commercials. I laugh so hard.

Meredith — December 11, 2013 @ 10:35 am

I made a wreath recently inspired by this: http://tatertotsandjello.com/2011/11/make-a-striped-paper-straw-wreath-christmas-tutorial.html …so fun because I’m obsessed with the chevron straws! I used a metallic gold garland wrapped wreath from Dollar Tree and silver metallic straws. I ended up loving it so much I didn’t hang it outside, but everyone has noticed it and commented on it. So many possibilities for other seasons!!

AJ — December 11, 2013 @ 10:38 am

I LOVE those sprint ads. Now every time I get a friend request, I wish it was announced out loud.

Tara — December 11, 2013 @ 11:04 am

Our door to our basement is in at the edge of the kitchen. My husband painted it with Magnetic Chalkboard paint.
    Soo cool! We write our grocery lists; to do lists; hang pics, invites, coupons, weekly workouts. Just love it.
    If you have a wall/door you can do this do, its great!

Tara — December 11, 2013 @ 11:09 am

CRAY CRAY ADORBS!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — December 11, 2013 @ 11:35 am

I crack up every time I see those commercials! Their deep, serious voices are hysterical with the scripts!
    I pack like your husband! Almost an entire bag of food/snacks/emergency rations! I must fear starvation

Ross @ TheFaceBaby — December 11, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

Totes mcgotes!!

allie@sweetpotatobites — December 11, 2013 @ 3:37 pm

LOVE House of Cards! Seriously cannot wait until February when the show returns. And yes to the smores cake. Delish.

Eva — December 11, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

Love House of Cards! Why can’t I look like Robin Wright (and own her wardrobe from the show?)!!

Erin M — December 11, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

I am a sucker for subscription services and mail. There is nothing more fun than getting a box filled with fun things every month!! I found this awesome service that send you a box of easy, lovely craft things-For the Makers. They send you everything you need for 4 fun, quick, and cool crafts!

Check it out:

Ps. just love reading your blog!!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — December 11, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

I guess this is a craft; it’s melting stuff and putting it in jars; that qualifies right? Christened ‘Wood Butter’ it is not a food item but something to condition butcher blocks and wooden utensils and bowls with. Easy to make and a gift everyone I know asks me to replenish every year!

Love that S’more’s cake. Just wow.

Lady ID — December 11, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

1. I like to have change on hand as well. You just never know. Especially for parking meters
    2. I take jerky and Larabars or something when travelling somewhere new – just in cade

8. I did not like the commercials at first. I was like “You are Mufasa, King Jaffe Joffer AND Darth Vade, this is beneath you”. BUT the “totes mcgotes” has been swaying me.

9. Those notes!!! The one with the shoes! LOL.

Molly @ Bakelette — December 11, 2013 @ 10:30 pm

I pack tons of snack all the time too! And that is is divine looking! As for crafts I pin way too many of them on pinterest…
    Heres my Christmas Crafty Board

Heres one of my other DIY/crafty boards

NIcole — December 12, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

I literalllllllly die every time I see that commercial. James Earl Jones = perfect. #nailedit

Elizabeth — December 17, 2013 @ 12:06 pm

I love radiant orchid!. I never thought i had a favorite color until one day a month or so ago I was wearing my favorite dress (which is basically “radiant orchid”, carrying around my iPhone that has a “radiant orchid” cover and holding a purple (“radiant orchid”) pen that I was writing my notes with….

Larry — December 27, 2013 @ 4:16 pm

IF ALL THE SNOWS WERE TACOS AND NACHOS OH WHAT A SNOW THAT WOULD BE!
    I would be the fattest happiest guy EVER.