This is why facebook is the devil.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

I had banana bread.

I wanted chocolate.

A day doesn’t go by where I don’t desire cheese.

Frankly, my banana bread was a bit stale. Which is a feat in itself because that means we didn’t eat an entire loaf in 34 seconds.

Why aren’t loaf pans made much larger? Like, instead of 9×5 inches, it should probably be 2×4 feet. THEN no one would have the problem of eating the entire loaf of banana bread the same day it’s made.

I know it isn’t just me.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Anyhoo. Even I thought that banana bread grilled cheese was a bit out there. I asked on facebook & twitter if I should do such a horrid thing. And you thought that I should.

I relish in the fact that you are weird too. We SO like all the same things.

I’m such a grilled cheese freak. Grill all the bread, all the cheese. I want it 24/7. I’m even teaching a class on it in two weeks!

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Um, also, how cute are my metallic rose goldy mugs? My friend Laura sent me one of them and I, of course, had to buy one from Starbucks during the holiday season and they pretty much make my day. Pretty things.

Life is so much better when things are pretty.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

If you love sweets and cheeses, you’ll die. Melty brie, dark chocolate. I used a banana bread recipe that you can find in my cookbook later this year, but I have lots of others here. Perhaps we should try the bacon one…

Since banana bread is soft yet dense, the entire slice doesn’t crisp up like regular crusty bread. You need a thick slice, after all, for this to work. You can make the sandwich like a regular old grilled cheese OR you can butter both sides, fry both sides, then stick the cheese and chocolate in the middle and keep it over low heat until the insides melt.

The insides melt. Now that sounds delicious. Hmmpf.

Except it so is.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese

Yield: serves 2 appropriately, 1 obnoxiously

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

4 slices banana bread (if it's slightly stale, even better!)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened for spreading
6 ounces brie cheese
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

Directions:

Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Butter the outsides of the banana bread, and place one slice butter-side down in the skillet. Immediately top the slice with some cheese, a bit of chocolate, and a little more cheese. I like to always have cheese on both sides to act like "glue" - it helps hold the sandwich together when flipping. Cook until both sides are golden and the cheese and chocolate is barely melted, about 4 minutes per side. If the cheese is melting slowly, I like to reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the skillet - just make sure to watch the sandwich because the sides cook more quickly.

Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese I howsweeteats.com

Yep. I did that.

72 Responses to “Banana Bread, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese.”

cheri — March 8, 2014 @ 1:14 pm

This is so wrong, oh my, then why does it look so good, no actually I mean amazing.

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — March 8, 2014 @ 1:53 pm

You are crazy but in a good way. I’m on this.

Stephanie — March 8, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

I just want to tell you that I love you because this

Paula – bell’alimento — March 8, 2014 @ 8:50 pm

Oh my, Oh my! I am lost for words! I must have this now!

PapaLos - The Man, The Chef, The Dad — March 8, 2014 @ 9:53 pm

My God in heaven….

I.. I just.. There’s nothing to say. Speechless. Just. Speechless.

Hannah — March 9, 2014 @ 7:43 am

It sounds so so disgusting, but so right at the same time. Have to try this! xx
    Coquetin

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — March 9, 2014 @ 10:01 pm

Holy crap. MIND BLOWN. Can’t wait to try this. It looks incredible, Jessica!

bev @ bevcooks — March 10, 2014 @ 10:06 am

WHAAAAAAAT.

Sherri — March 10, 2014 @ 4:42 pm

WOW. Just WOW… :-)

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — March 11, 2014 @ 11:18 am

WOW this is simply amazing! I love that you did a dessert grilled cheese! YUM!

Stacy — March 12, 2014 @ 10:13 am

This looks so wrong and yet so AWESOME! Another suggestion for the next time you have “stale” banana bread or cinnamon rolls – slice them up and turn them into french toast!! I know, right?!? The cinnamon rolls you’ll want to turn on their side to slice so you get that wonderful swirl of gooey goodness, dip in egg/cinnamon/sugar/cream blend and fry away! We love our french toast!!

Carrie @ Season It Already! — March 12, 2014 @ 3:28 pm

Oh no you didn’t! ;-)

Emily @ Life on Food — March 13, 2014 @ 12:02 pm

This is completely unbelievable and I love every piece.

The Bellie (Lanet) — March 17, 2014 @ 6:09 pm

You’re right; this is a bit out there. But I’m glad you tried it so we know that it will be delicious when we do! And your writing style is so similar to Nellie’s that for a moment I thought I’d accidentally returned to our own site…

Beth — March 20, 2014 @ 5:48 pm

This counts as dinner, right?

wealth inequality in america video snopes — May 7, 2014 @ 12:46 am

Honestly, I did not live this soup. It is very bland and just tastes like mush. The florets add a little bit but overall I was disappointed. My husband agreed. It needs more flavor!

1. Pingback: foodie finds - Live. Laugh. Cook.

2. Pingback: Sifted: Irish Coffee Cheesecake, Taco Pizzas + More - Funky Recipe - Meals - Holidays - Special Occasions

3. Pingback: Thursday Things | hipstercooker