on vacation.

on vacation I howsweeteats.com

So, every single trip that Eddie and I have taken together – as in, just the two of us, no one else – for the last four years has been a rain, wind, cool weather and more rain. No really. EVERY single one. Pretty sure that mother nature hates us. With no sign of sun in the next five days. Either way, this is the time of year when I bombard my blog and instagram with completely repetitive and somewhat boring photos of my all-time favorite place in northern Michigan. There is so much much to come.

on vacation I howsweeteats.com

p.s. here’s a link to all of last year’s pics! and probably the last three or four years in those because… i’m obsessed.

30 Responses to “on vacation.”

Bri | Bites of Bri — August 20, 2014 @ 7:36 am

I love your vacation, even if there’s limited sun! I’m headed on vacation next week and you’re making me SUPER excited :)

Sues — August 20, 2014 @ 8:05 am

These photos make me realize how desperate I am for a vacation. Heavenly!! Have a blast :)

Hayley — August 20, 2014 @ 8:06 am

I can’t remember where you go in Michigan, but I feel like it was in/near Traverse City. If you want to get out and go in search of, well, not rain, there are some really cute little towns north of TC that are adorable. I love Leland, Suttons Bay, and Northport. Looks like Leland might be nice tomorrow (partly sunny/77). In Northport, you can be on the bay side of the peninsula and then drive over to the lake side in less than 5 minutes. Sunsets on the lake are insane.

Michigan overall has just been a rainy, stormy mess the last little bit here, after a completely dry summer! It’s been weird. I myself am headed back to school today, in southern Indiana, and am NOT looking forward to muggy temps in the 90s.

Have a nice rest of your vacation!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — August 20, 2014 @ 8:10 am

Hope you’re having your fun and eating your weight in delicious food (you know…for the baby, of course)!

Cookbook Queen — August 20, 2014 @ 8:13 am

ALL THE JELLY!!!!!

Alicia Greenrabbit — August 20, 2014 @ 8:18 am

Still looks relaxing……The only problem I have about the Great Lakes, is that I think that I’m going to get a lobster dinner or some seafood. I’m such an east coast girl!

Hannah — August 20, 2014 @ 8:30 am

AMERICAN SPOON! I’m obsessed. Their cherry preserves are to die for. I live in Michigan and heart Traverse City. Come visit Ann Arbor too!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 20, 2014 @ 11:17 am

I know that you savor, adore, and cherish your time in Michigan! And I hope it’s everything it always is for you and more!

I’m on vacay now too, trying to savor my little corner of paradise before the hub-bub of Sept. begins!

Brittany — August 20, 2014 @ 12:59 pm

Cloudy or not, every single picture is gorgeous. And the food, as usual, looks to die for.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — August 20, 2014 @ 2:51 pm

LOVE those photos! Totally making me feel like I’m on vacay too instead of in my little office. ;) Perfect cloud shots too, my fav!

Katie — August 20, 2014 @ 4:44 pm

you must try the brisket sandwich at the new Tap Room in downtown Charlevoix….

Brynn — August 20, 2014 @ 5:56 pm

You’re in my hometown! Ah! Such amazing food and views. I loved growing up up north and always find it odd when people vacation there because it’s all I know.

Sarah @ the gold lining girl — August 20, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

I don’t know why, but I looooooove rain. I’m so weird, I know. Cue “I’m only happy when it rains…” And yet, I live in sunny FL and love it here! Tons of thunderstorms in the summertime and it makes me soooo happy!

Hope you still have a beautiful and fun vacay despite Mother Nature’s failure to cooperate!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 20, 2014 @ 6:25 pm

I’m on vacation starting tomorrow night and heading out to Vancouver to run a race, and then enjoy the sun, sea, and of course, seafood! Your photos look beautiful and i hope you guys are having an amazing time, despite the rain! :)

Stephanie — August 20, 2014 @ 6:51 pm

I grew up in the mitten- so jealous you made it and not me this summer! So much pretty, so little time

Jen — August 20, 2014 @ 9:29 pm

Ah! CHX the Beautiful! My hometown – so jealous of you right now :) enjoy your stay! Just discovered your blog and looks yummy!

Gwyn — August 20, 2014 @ 10:17 pm

I LOVE the sailboat picture!

Sarah K — August 20, 2014 @ 10:59 pm

Northern Michigan is the best. It looks like the weather is supposed to be better the next few days, so I hope you are able to enjoy some sun while you’re around!

Liz — August 21, 2014 @ 1:33 am

I’ve been dying to go to Northern Michigan! Have fun :)

Emily @ Life on Food — August 21, 2014 @ 7:35 am

Your photos are lovely. And I always try to snag a chocolate chip cookie on vacay.

Larry — August 21, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

I’m starving.

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — August 21, 2014 @ 3:28 pm

LOVE vacation photos…definitely looks like mother nature is hating you a little less this time around? lol! Hope you have a great rest of your trip!

jann jones — August 21, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

See, ya missed all the sun we’ve been havin here in Oregon!! Portland is an hour and a half from the coast, nice drive, and there’s the Tillamook cheese factory, you can tour it, plus sample their yummy cheeses, and ice cream, at the end, plus a beautiful drive down 101… Along the coast… There’s always next vacay!:-)

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — August 21, 2014 @ 9:24 pm

Hope you guys have a fabulous vacay!!!

Ina — August 22, 2014 @ 11:04 am

Fabulous, fabulous photographs!

Cousin Pat in Michigan — August 22, 2014 @ 11:19 am

I was in Boyne last weekend. The weather was cool and gloomy, but it cleared up each day late in afternoon- early evening so there were great sunsets. Of course I thought about all the Merchants We plan to go back in mid-Sept. too.

Alex @ True Femme — August 25, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

So beautiful! I hope you get some great weather (or got some if you’re back!)

Hannah — August 26, 2014 @ 7:05 am

ohhhhh tha looks like bay harbor! I stay at the inn with the red roof every july, so gorgeous! I Hope the weather turned out better for you guys. :)

1. Pingback: on vacation. | How Sweet It Is | Travel