Loaded Baked Nachos – The Healthy Way!
Since I was young, one of my most favorite snacks has been tortilla chips with melted cheese.
No, not queso dip.
Cheese that is literally melted on top of the tortilla chips in the microwave.
Gross? That is subjective.
Sure, over the years my tastes have refined a bit. I have gone from boring, white tortilla chips and bagged cheddar cheese to organic blue corn chips with gouda, gruyere and fontina.
I recently found these new-to-me, hand-made yellow corn and whole grain La Tortilla Factory tortillas.
The simple things excite me.
These are different than the whole wheat ones I usually get. They are slightly thicker and more flexible.
Oh. . . and insanely delicious.
So, I cut them into fours, spritzed with some olive oil, sprinkled on some sea salt, and baked them.
Crispy, thick, yellow corn chips!
I topped them with every delicious ingredient I could find in my fridge. I love the different textures – chewy, creamy and gooey!
These protein-packed nachos keep me much fuller than the 3 or 4 plates of chips with melted cheese that I like to snack on.
I suppose you could also add more vegetables. You know, if you’re into that kind of thing.
Raise your hand if you think this challenge would be perfect for me.
- 4 whole grain tortillas
- 5 oz shredded chicken breast
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup low-fat, shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chunky salsa
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat refried beans
- 2 slices avocado, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut tortillas into triangles, spritz with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake for 10-15 minutes until crispy. Let cool.
- Top with chicken, cheese, black beans, enchilada sauce, and salsa. Add a scoop of refried beans and greek yogurt. Top with avocado.
Nachos that taste delicious and are heart and waistline friendly?
Sign me up!