Pizza Pot Pies with Whole Wheat Crust.
I was so excited to make this dish for Mr. How Sweet.
I had it in my head for days.
I couldn’t wait to tell him about it. I mean, pepperoni and chicken? Whole wheat crust? This meal basically describes everything he lives for.
I was even more excited after learning that Mr. How Sweet loved chicken pot pies.
Don’t ask me how I did not know this, but I didn’t.
Kind of like how I didn’t know he snored louder than a jet engine and would rather sit in the stands at a Nascar race than lay on a hot, sandy beach with a margarita in hand.
Learn these things before you get married, people.
So, I made assumptions.
Mr. How Sweet loves pot pies. And he loves pizza.
So pizza + pot pie = happy belly. Correct?
See, I’ve never been the best at math.
As expected, my skills failed me here.
When I told Mr. How Sweet that I was going to make pizza pot pies, he practically doubled over in disgust. He pouted. He whined. He dry heaved.
It just wasn’t a good situation.
But then I made them.
And they looked delicious. And smelled even better.
It was as if Yankee Candle had created a Pepperoni Pizza scent just for us.
The cheese was bubbly and the crust was crispy.
And it was one of those situations where you don’t care about scalding every taste bud on your tongue or burning the skin throughout your mouth. The most important thing at that moment was eating it. Immediately.
I like to pretend that the whole wheat crust cancels out the exorbitant amount of cheese that I used.
When I get around cheese, I just lose all control.
Any discipline I have flies right out the window. I just keep adding cheese. And adding, and adding, and adding. . .
Really, can you ever have too much cheese?
Pizza Pot Pies
- 8 ounces chicken breast, cooked
- 2 ounces pepperoni, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- whole wheat pizza dough
Whole Wheat Crust Topping
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375. Set out 4 small ramekins.
- Divide chicken, cheeses, peppers, onions, pepperoni, and italian seasoning evenly into the 4 ramekins. Add equal amounts of tomato sauce to each bowl.
- Cover with a very thin round of whole wheat pizza dough. Brush dough with olive oil. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.
Whole Wheat Crust Topping
- Combine flour, sea salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, honey and olive oil, and stir until a dough comes together. Continue to form dough into a ball with your hands. Add more water 1 tablespoon at a time as necessary.
- Place in lightly oiled bowl and cover. Let rise for 2-3 hours.
- When ready, roll dough out very thin.
See, I am always right.
I promised Mr. How Sweet these would be delicious, and they are.
He needs to stop doubting me. Like when I tell him that buying a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes is a wise investment, he should listen. I clearly know what I’m talking about.