Easy Enchilada Lasagna.
We all know how easily bored I can get. Enchilada lasagna to the rescue?
So would you believe me if I told you that I am making this meal for a second time in 4 days? Easy enchilada lasagna over and over again!
At the risk of sounding dramatic, it is so incredible that you must rush home and make it this evening. It is easy and quick too!
I can’t make real lasagna.
Mr. How Sweet claims that he will go into convulsions if he eats ricotta cheese, though I have seen him taste his fair share of it.
But that is fine with me.
I don’t love pasta and tomato sauce makes me cry.
However, I do love greasy, cheesy Mexican food.
I mentioned earlier this week that I made some meals for Mr. How Sweet since I’m leaving tomorrow. I always make him meals on the weekends, but this time I tried to make him some more “fun” ones.
I have been making enchiladas for him for years. When we were dating, I occasionally would make him a dish of chicken enchiladas to surprise him after work. Sometimes I even made them for his lunch, and we didn’t even live together.
I guess he got some milk for free.
He requests the enchiladas so often that I rarely eat them anymore. I wasn’t even tempted by this lasagna, but I was feeling rather emotional and decided to eat my feelings.
One bite in, I was hooked.
It was so delicious. Dare I say it is one of the best meals I’ve made since we have been married? It certainly isn’t made entirely from scratch, and it seems rather boring on the outside. And it is simple. But good gosh – is it fabulous.
I should have never taken that first bite.
Let’s just say that Mr. How Sweet didn’t get much of the lasagna. Between me eating it for lunch and dinner, I think he only got one skinny slice.
He has been talking about it ever since. And I have been feeling guilty for eating the entire dish.
So tonight I am making him a fresh, much larger portion.
And then I’m going to handcuff myself so I don’t eat it.
Easy Enchilada Lasagna
- 8 (4-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 to 3 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 10 oz)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup black beans
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (10-oz) cans enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
- cilantro for topping
- Preheat oven to 375.
- For filling: Heat skillet on medium heat and add olive oil, onions and peppers. Sauté until soft, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add chicken, cumin, chili powder, paprika and cayenne, salt and pepper, 1/2 the can of enchilada sauce, the black beans and 1 cup of cheese. Stir until warm and combined.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray and place 2 tortillas down, side by side. Top with filling, and repeat with other tortillas until they are gone. Top with remaining cup of cheese and drizzle the rest of the enchilada sauce on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
I have no self control.
Don’t forget to subscribe to How Sweet It Is so you can get updates while I’m on vacation. I will be blogging about my trip (because I am going to my favorite place!) in my Cr section. You can also subscribe by email.
[photos by sarah fennel]