Apple Bacon Pancakes.
All is right in the world again.
There is a pound of bacon in my fridge which means I can sleep tight.
If you weren’t aware, I went a week without bacon because I forgot to buy it.
How I could forget such a thing baffles me, but it happened.
You can imagine how badly I just wanted to fry up the whole pound and eat it while reading trashy magazines and watching the Jersey Shore. It’s how I decompress.
Am I grossing you out yet?
Hey, to each their own. I don’t judge you for eating broccoli.
But please don’t leave, because you need to know how amazing these pancakes are.
One day shortly after getting married, I grated a sweet, juicy apple and added it to my pancakes.
It was fabulous. But then I never did it again. It left my mind completely.
And truth be told, I was way too traumatized by the 16 bobbleheads in the living room and that gigantic turkey that lurked in Mr. How Sweet’s bachelor pad to remember anything I was doing in the kitchen.
Then last week it came back to me. And I was so bacon-deprived that I decided to add that to the mix too.
I can now die happy.
Yes, friends – there are apples and bacon in the pancakes. They create the perfect sweet and savory mix, bursting with flavor and texture.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices bacon, fried and crumbles
- 1 gala apple, grated
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Add milk, eggs, vanilla and oil and stir until smooth. Fold in half the bacon and all of the apple shreds.
- Heat skillet or griddle on medium heat. Add batter 1/4 cup at a time (creates about a 3-4 inch pancake). Wait until bubbles form, them flip and cook about another 30-60 seconds.
- Garnish with remaining bacon and maple syrup.
I’ll be hanging in the kitchen today with my best pal, bacon.
Reunited and it feels so good…